New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Life doesn't mean good [3.5e Creature]

Positive Elementals are fast and agile. The slightest touch can heal the wounds of the living, or burn new ones on the dead. Strangely it seems repulsed and disgusted by living creatures and undead seem to be drawn to it. If this elemental sees a Negative Elemental the two will instantly begin to fight. This is said to be the beginning of the Duality Elementals.

Positive Elementals speak Novas, though they rarely choose to do so. When one does speak it sounds kind and angelic regardless of its intentions.

Combat
    If a Positive Elemental sees a living creature they will generally attack it. If there is more than one, then they will always strike the one with the lowest health as they aren't as repulsed by them. They seldom attack undead. They react strangely to plants, either ignoring them completely or going berserk and trying to destroy it at all costs.

Elemental Reaction (Ex): When submited to elemental energy an positive elemental reacts differently than most. When dealt by elemental damage the Negative Elemental is dealt the damage and then this ability takes affect.
    • Acid: Acid damage represents earth and causes a Positive Elemental to be slowed for one round per 5 points of acid damage, minimum 1 round.
    • Cold: Cold damage represents water and causes a Positive Elemental to be affected by the Haste spell for one round per 5 points of cold damage, minimum 1 round.
    • Electric: Electric damage represents air and causes a Positive Elemental's Fly Speed to be doubled for one round per 5 points of electric damage, minimum 1 round.
    • Fire: Fire damage represents fire and causes a Positive Elemental's Fly Speed to be halved for one rounded per 5 points of fire damage, minimum 1 round.
    • Positive: Positive damage represents positive energy and causes a Positive Elemental to be healed two point's of damage for every point of positive damage dealt, the extra damage dealt by this ability isn't affected by this ability.
    • Negative: Negative damage represents negative energy and causes a Positive Elemental to be dealt two point's of damage for every point of negative damage dealt, the extra damage dealt by this ability isn't affected by this ability.

Polarised (Ex): Unlike other positive energy creatures, positive energy elementals are polarised in their relation to other creatures. This causes all intelligent living creatures in a 10- foot radius to be Shaken for as long as they are in the vicinity of it. Living creatures with intelligence of 2 or less flee from the area for 1d4 rounds. There is no save.

This causes all intelligent undead creatures in a 10- foot radius to gain a +2 Morale bonus on skill checks as long as they are in the vicinity of it. Undead creatures with intelligence of 2 or less are drawn to the Elemental for 1d4 rounds. There is no save.

Any negative energy elementals within 20 feet are drawn to positive elementals. If they connect, one of the following occurs:
    • If the elementals have the same Hit Dice, they merge and form a duality elemental.
    • If the negative elemental has more Hit Dice, they merge and become a negative elemental with one additional Hit Die.
    • If the positive elemental has more Hit Dice, they merge and become a positive elemental with one additional Hit Die.

Touch of Life (Ex): A Positive elemental’s slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus positive damage from the elemental’s nebulus body. This attack counts as a touch attack.

Creatures hitting a positive elemental with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take positive damage as though hit by the elemental’s attack.

Tiny Positive Elemental
    Tiny Elemental (Positive)
    Hit Dice
    :1d8-1 (3 HP)
    Initiative:+2
    Speed: 5ft (1 Square); Fly 20ft
    Armor Class:15 (+3 natural, +2 size), touch 12, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple:+0/-9
    Attack: Slam +0 (1d2 + 1d2 Positive)
    Full Attack: Slam +0 (1d2 + 1d2 Positive)
    Space/Reach:2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Touch of Life
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, Elemental Reaction, Polarised
    Saves: Fort -1, Ref +2, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 8, Dex 10, Con 8, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
    Skills: Listen +2, Spot +2
    Feats: Dodge, Improved InitiativeB, Weapon FinesseB
    Environment: Positive Energy Plane
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating:1/2
    Treasure:None
    Alignment:Usually Neutral
    Advancement: -
    Level Adjustment:-

Small Positive Elemental
    Small Elemental (Positive)
    Hit Dice
    :2d8 (9 HP)
    Initiative:+5
    Speed: 10ft (2 Squares); Fly 30ft
    Armor Class:15 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +3 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple:+1/-3
    Attack: Slam +3 melee (1d4 plus 1d4 Positive)
    Full Attack: Slam +3 melee (1d4 plus 1d4 Postive)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, Elemental Reaction, Polarised
    Saves: Fort 0, Ref +4, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
    Skills: Listen +2, Spot +3
    Feats: Dodge, Improved InitiativeB, Weapon FinesseB
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Advancement: 3 (Small)

Medium Positive Elemental
    Medium Elemental (Positive)
    Hit Dice
    :4d8+6 (26 HP)
    Initiative:+7
    Armor Class:16 (+3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple:+3/+4
    Attack: Slam +6 melee (1d6+1 plus 1d6 Positive)
    Full Attack: Slam +6 melee (1d6+1 plus 1d6 Positive)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Saves: Fort 3, Ref +7, Will +1
    Abilities: Str 12, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
    Skills: Listen +3, Spot +3
    Feats: Dodge, Improved InitiativeB, Mobility, Weapon FinesseB
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Advancement: 5-7 (Medium)

Large Positive Elemental
    Large Elemental (Positive)
    Hit Dice
    :8d8+24 (60 HP)
    Initiative:+9
    Armor Class:18 (–1 size, +5 Dex, +4 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple:+6/+12
    Attack: Slam +10 melee (2d6+2 plus 2d6 Positive Energy)
    Full Attack: 2 slams +10 melee (2d6+2 plus 2d6 Positive Energy)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Touch of Death
    Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 5/-, Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, Elemental Reaction, Polarised
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +11, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 14, Dex 21, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11
    Skills: Listen +5, Spot +6
    Feats: Dodge, Improved InitiativeB, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon FinesseB
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Advancement: 9-15 (Large)

Huge Positive Elemental
    Huge Elemental (Positive)
    Hit Dice
    :16d8+64 (136 HP)
    Initiative:+11
    Speed: 15ft (3 Squares); Fly 40ft
    Armor Class: 19 (–2 size, +7 Dex, +4 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/Grapple:+12/+24
    Attack: Slam +17 melee (2d8+4 plus 2d8 Positive Energy)
    Full Attack: 2 slams +17 melee (2d8+4 plus 2d8 Positive Energy)
    Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
    Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 5/-, Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, Elemental Reaction, Polarised
    Saves: Fort +9, Ref +17, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 25, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11
    Skills: Listen +11, Spot +12
    Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved InitiativeB, Iron Will, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon FinesseB
    Challenge Rating: 7
    Advancement: 17-20 HD (Huge)

Greater Positive Elemental
    Hit Dice
    : 21d8+84 (178 HP)
    Initiative: +12
    Armor Class: 24 (–2 size, +8 Dex, +8 natural), touch 16, flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple:+15/+28
    Attack: Slam +22 melee (2d8+5 plus 2d8 Positive Energy)
    Full Attack: 2 slams +22 melee (2d8+5 plus 2d8 Positive Energy)
    Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/-, Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, Elemental Reaction, Polarised
    Saves: Fort +11, Ref +20, Will +9
    Abilities: Str 20, Dex 27, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11
    Skills: Listen +14, Spot +14
    Feats: Alertness, Blind Fight, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved InitiativeB, Iron Will, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon FinesseB, Weapon Focus (slam)
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Advancement: 22-23 HD (Huge)

Elder Positive Elemental
    Hit Dice
    : 24d8+96 (204 HP)
    Initiative: +13
    Armor Class: 25 (–2 size, +9 Dex, +8 natural), touch 17, flat-footed 16
    Base Attack/Grapple:+18/+32
    Attack: Slam +26 melee (2d8+6 plus 2d8 Positive Energy)
    Full Attack: 2 slams +26 melee (2d8+6 plus 2d8 Positive Energy)
    Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/-, Darkvision 60 ft., elemental traits, Elemental Reaction, Polarised
    Saves: Fort +14, Ref +23, Will +10
    Abilities: Str 22, Dex 29, Con 18, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 11
    Skills: Listen +29, Spot +28
    Feats: Alertness, Blind Fight, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved InitiativeB, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon FinesseB, Weapon Focus (slam)
    Challenge Rating: 11
    Advancement: 25-48 HD (Huge)
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-04-16 at 10:07 PM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Life doesn't mean good [3.5e Creature]

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Strangely it seems repulsed and disgusted by living creatures and undead seem to be drawn to it.

Polarised (Ex): As it is a being of pure positive energy it is polarised. This causes any undead in a 10ft radius to instantly feel joy and have an urge to stay near it. Also any living creatures in the 10ft radius feel instantly a tinge of fear and have an aversion to it.
    This is all very poorly explained and fairly unsubstantiated. I don't buy it. One, Undead are immune to morale-based effects. Second, touching the thing can kill Undead. Third, positive energy is beneficial and healing to living creatures. So, why do Undead like to hang around it, and why are living creatures afraid of it? The rules actively support the opposite trend, and you give no good reason for the alternative.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    This is all very poorly explained and fairly unsubstantiated. I don't buy it. One, Undead are immune to morale-based effects. Second, touching the thing can kill Undead. Third, positive energy is beneficial and healing to living creatures. So, why do Undead like to hang around it, and why are living creatures afraid of it? The rules actively support the opposite trend, and you give no good reason for the alternative.
    Reading the other monster of this duality I think he's got the abilities swapped.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Your hit points are wrong, not showing the points from high and low constitution. The average of a 1d8 is 4.5 not 5 and you round down

Tiny Positive Elemental should have Hit Dice:1d8 - 1 (3 hp) and Medium should have 4d8+8 (26 hp).

Does polarised affect mindless undead? I would think that mindless undead are incapable of feeling joy. Whenever you have a special ability, there needs to be game mechanic associated with it. The DC of this would be different for each size of positive elemental so you need to rewrite for every size. Also, it doesn't fit for positive energy to affect undead in a positive way. Negative energy affects undead in a good way but positive energy would affect undead badly. Unless you mean this to be reversed on purpose; and in that case, I can say I'm not liking it at all.

Here is how I would have worded it:

Polarised (Ex): As it is a being of pure positive energy, it is polarised. This causes all intelligent undead creatures in a 10- foot radius to be Shaken for as long as they are in the vicinity of it. Undead creatures with intelligence of 2 or less flee from the area for 1d4 rounds. There is no save.

Debby

P.S. The Tome of Horrors III has a really good version of these pgs. 66-68.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-03-27 at 09:03 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    Its polarity, positively polarised things are repulsed by positive. But negative is attracted to positive.
    Thus positive elementals attract negative energy. There is negative energy in undead. Undead are attracted to the Positive Elemental.
    Also positive elementals repulse positive energy. There is positive enrgy in the living. The living are repulsed by the Positive Elemental.

I'd edit it so it doesn't count as morale-based effects.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mentalist View Post
    Reading the other monster of this duality I think he's got the abilities swapped.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Does polarised affect mindless undead? I would think that mindless undead are incapable of feeling joy. Whenever you have a special ability, there needs to be game mechanic associated with it. The DC of this would be different for each size of positive elemental so you need to rewrite for every size. Also, it doesn't fit for positive energy to affect undead in a positive way. Negative energy affects undead in a good way but positive energy would affect undead badly. Unless you mean this to be reversed on purpose; and in that case, I can say I'm not liking it at all.

Here is how I would have worded it:

Polarised (Ex): As it is a being of pure positive energy, it is polarised. This causes all intelligent undead creatures in a 10- foot radius to be Shaken for as long as they are in the vicinity of it. Undead creatures with intelligence of 2 or less flee from the area for 1d4 rounds. There is no save.

Debby

P.S. The Tome of Horrors III has a really good version of these pgs. 66-68.
    I'd reword it. Also I don't have any Tome of Horrors.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Its polarity, positively polarised things are repulsed by positive. But negative is attracted to positive.
    Thus positive elementals attract negative energy. There is negative energy in undead. Undead are attracted to the Positive Elemental.
    Also positive elementals repulse positive energy. There is positive energy in the living. The living are repulsed by the Positive Elemental.
    Physics, the bane of D&D. :-) I am calling shenanigans on having positive elemental attract negative energy here. However, I do understand where this is coming from so I'll bite my tongue and run with it.

Now let's examine this special ability in detail. I'm going to make some comments and I'll put changes in red and my comments in brackets so you can tell what I did.

Polarised (Ex): Unlike other positive energy creatures, positive energy elementals are polarised in their relation to other creatures. This causes all intelligent living creatures in a 10- foot radius to be Shaken for as long as they are in the vicinity of it. Living creatures with intelligence of 2 or less flee from the area for 1d4 rounds. There is no save.
    So far so good.

This also causes all intelligent undead creatures in a 10- foot radius to gain a +2 Morale bonus on skill checks as long as they are in the vicinity of it. Undead creatures with intelligence of 2 or less are drawn to the creature for 1d4 rounds. There is no save.
    I recommend making this a morale modifier for Intelligent undead as they are boosted by the polarised energy. Not allowing other undead to leave the vicinity doesn't quite have the effect as being attracted to the area. What if they aren't in the vicinity? It makes more sense to have them move toward the creature than be unable to move from it.

Any negative energy elementals within 20 feet are drawn to positive elementals. If they connect, one of the following occurs:

• If the elementals have the same Hit Dice, they merge and form a duality elemental.
    • If the negative elemental has more Hit Dice, they merge and become a negative elemental with one additional Hit Die.
    • If the positive elemental has more Hit Dice, they merge and become a positive elemental with one additional Hit Die.
    I cleaned up the last bit. When would a negative elemental be in the same vicinity as a positive elemental?

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread