New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Best Magic Items

A couple of questions.

1. What is the single most powerful, non-epic item in the game?

2. What is the best item for gold value?

Think general use here. Not which item is best for which class, but overall.
    THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T BRING A GEETAR TO A DUNGEON CRAWL!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Best Magic Items

Heward's Handy Haversack for both.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    Heward's Handy Haversack for both.
    Hmm..... While good, I don't know if I'd qualify it as the best or most powerful.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Candle of Invocation for both.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Even though you said not class specific, I'm going to say a wizard's spellbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mad_Linguist View Post
    If you PaO it into something else, you couldn't really expect it to still work (after all, a +1 flaming sword PaOed into a horse doesn't get you a +1 Flaming horse).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven
    I'm bringing this up and hoping that the DM lets me get away with a +1 Flaming Horse. Just putting that out there.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Candle of Invocation for both.
    Yeah, you beat me to it. It really is. Leads to Inifinite Wishes and pun pun as well as being pretty cheap.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I was magically yanked out of my bed by a Demon Lord, and deposited into a huge dungeon with three strangers. None of them were pyromaniacs :(

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thought Bottle is probably a pretty close second.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

In a low level campaign? Cheese aside?
    Talisman of the Disk is amazingly versatile and fun. At will Tenser's disk for 500 gp? Priceless!
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingdeath View Post
    Hmm..... While good, I don't know if I'd qualify it as the best or most powerful.
    I'll second Haversack barring infinite wish and thought bottle cheese. Seriously, it's probably the best purchase for the money, it's so good no matter what you're playing, you're probably going to buy one, and almost every DM will allow them.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Thought Bottle is probably a pretty close second.
    I once had a campaign that centered around an NPC Artificer BBEG that was abusing the ONE thought bottle that existed in my game world. With a combonation of crafting, death + rez + restoration, she could literally outfit an army in a 20 level characters WBL.

Oh, and the army were all Greater Simulacrum of herself.

And you know the really funny end to that cheese game? The PCs had to use candle of invocation shenanigans to beat her.
    Last edited by SirFredgar; 2012-04-03 at 12:36 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I was magically yanked out of my bed by a Demon Lord, and deposited into a huge dungeon with three strangers. None of them were pyromaniacs :(

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Seriously. It's a bag, and you put things in it. It doesn't get any better than that.

I'm going to go on a limb and say it's the one item that that every player - regardless of character concept, group optimization level, sources allowed, party level (past 4-5 anyway) - is going to want to squirrel away somewhere on their character sheet.

Short of that, there are the usual suspects, and that one sword that lets its user cast like a level 20 cleric. I can't for the life of me remember which company published that thing (but best Fighter fix ever ).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

I'm going to avoid the obvious gamebreakers and say an item that your DM might actually ALLOW.

Belt of magnificence. 25k for +2 to every stat, 100k for +4 to every stat, and 200k for +6 to every stat. And it only takes one item slot.

Do the calculating, 36k times 6 is 216k, and those items take six slots!

Miniature handbook FTW.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, if the Big Cheese is off the table, I'd say Belt Of Battle.

+2 Initiative and extra actions is nothing to sneeze at for 12k.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah, I try to avoid game breakers. Powerful is good, anything that leads to ultimate power not so much.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    I'm going to avoid the obvious gamebreakers and say an item that your DM might actually ALLOW.

Belt of magnificence. 25k for +2 to every stat, 100k for +4 to every stat, and 200k for +6 to every stat. And it only takes one item slot.

Do the calculating, 36k times 6 is 216k, and those items take six slots!

Miniature handbook FTW.
    My only problem with that item is that most builds aren't going need/want +6 to every stat, but they will definitly want a +6 to one or two stat. Add that to the MIC compendium rules that allow you to add those enhancements to certain body slots for free, you can get only the stats you want and none of them you don't. Two +6 items (Casting stat/Con or Casting Stat/Dex seem to be the most common) are a lot cheaper then the 200k belt.
    Last edited by SirFredgar; 2012-04-03 at 01:00 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Starmantle cloak is a nice item from BoED.

All non-magical items shatter, and if a magical item hits you you may make a reflex (DC15) to only get halve damage.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SirFredgar View Post
    My only problem with that item is that most builds aren't going need/want +6 to every stat, but they will definitly want a +6 to one or two stat. Add that to the MIC compendium rules that allow you to add those enhancements to certain body slots for free, you can get only the stats you want and none of them you don't. Two +6 items (Casting stat/Con or Casting Stat/Dex seem to be the most common) are a lot cheaper then the 200k belt.
    I suppose you have a legit point there. My god they are a godsend to monks, paladins, and other MAD classes though.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I suppose you have a legit point there. My god they are a godsend to monks, paladins, and other MAD classes though.
    Yeah, I pretty much agree. The only stat Monks don't really need is cha (maybe int, if you hate skill points), so they get a lot more mileage out of it. But then you have to ask those players.... WHY!?! WHY MONK AND NOT SWORDSAGE!?! while you shake them violently.
    Last edited by SirFredgar; 2012-04-03 at 01:08 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Yeah, I pretty much agree. The only stat Monks don't really need is cha (maybe int, if you hate skill points), so they get a lot more mileage out of it. But then you have to ask those players.... WHY!?! WHY MONK AND NOT SWORDAGE!?! while you shake them violently.
    Maybe because they don't want to go to all the trouble of doing all the maneuver paperwork? That's the main reason our group uses monk and not swordsage. It's just easier on the brain, especially when you're Dming as well and you don't need to be spending three minutes on your DMPC's turn. "Run and attack, roll a few dice and end it" is the best way to run a DMPC.

Main reason why I never run spellcasters as DMPC unless they're plot central, and in that case they're going to be healers.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe because they don't want to go to all the trouble of doing all the maneuver paperwork? That's the main reason our group uses monk and not swordsage. It's just easier on the brain, especially when you're Dming as well and you don't need to be spending three minutes on your DMPC's turn. "Run and attack, roll a few dice and end it" is the best way to run a DMPC.

Main reason why I never run spellcasters as DMPC unless they're plot central, and in that case they're going to be healers.
    Yeah, I can see that. Especially since it sounds like a low-teir group you don't really have to worry as much about the inherent flaws in the Monk class. I used to think the same about initiators, untill I played a warblade up to level 8 or so. Though, to be honest, I only ever had to worry about 4 or 5 maneuvers readied, and iirc swordsage has many more known/readied.

Monk's also remind me: Monks Belt. I can't tell you how valuble this item is if you are a wisdom based caster. You can even fudge it to CHA or INT if you are willing to blow a feat.
    Last edited by SirFredgar; 2012-04-03 at 01:18 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis (ToM) the always on version is quite nice.
    Amber Amulet of Vermin (MIC) is always fun at low levels.
    Healing Belt (MIC) is also great at low levels.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, and before I sign off for the night, I thought I'd link these two topics. Both have some amazing items, magical or not, and tell you exactly why you want (or should want) them.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I would have to agree with either the haversack or belt of battle.

Belt of battle is an introduction to action economy abuse for everyone

Haversack just makes life better.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

OK, it's not the best magic item in any real sense, but the Rod of Ropes is undoubtedly one of the coolest. It's a frigging hookshot. What's not to love about a hookshot?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

A coupla immovable rods are also handy. Very useful in many circumstances, and could be used for even more things, depending on your imagination and DM fiat.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, if the Big Cheese is off the table, I'd say Belt Of Battle.

+2 Initiative and extra actions is nothing to sneeze at for 12k.
    Found that to be a very powerful belt

Also a magic item that I would get for almost every class has to be..... Bag of Holding! Without it those huge str would never be able to drag home their share of the loot!
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm surprised no one mentioned it, but barring artifacts and cheesiness, a Cube of Force is definitely one of the most powerful items around. The charges renew each day so you don't have to ration it, and it can singlehandedly turn a fight around.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The answer to point 2 is a club or quarterstaff. The power:cost ratio is INFINITE!
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    The answer to point 2 is a club or quarterstaff. The power:cost ratio is INFINITE!
    That's not a magic item though.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Stabber View Post
    That's not a magic item though.
    Neither is a wizard's spellbook. Plus, neither question specified magic items, only the title did.

A grey ioun stone is pretty nifty I hear. 25 gp for ever-lasting light and it leaves your hands and body slots free.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries