New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Default [3.5 Race] Tarkata (Baraka's race) - Suggestions?

Tarkata

The tarkatan are a race of warlike nomads from the wastelands of the Outworld. Their origin is not certain, but it is suspected that are a mixed breed of a human race of the Outworld and demons from the Netherrealm.

• +2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Int,-2 Cha: Swift and strong, naturally adapted for kombat. On the other hand, they tend to be irascible and rude, with little patience for the accumulation of knowledge.
    • Medium size
    • Base speed: 30'
    • Low light vision
    • Scent
    • +4 racial bonus to Intimidate
    • +2 racial bonus to Jump, Survival and Climb: natural born hunters, adapted to chase prey on the rough terrain of the Outworld.
    • Natural weapons:
      Tarkatan blades: Primary weapon. Bony retractable prolongations, can be drawn as free action. Can't be disarmed, can be sunder. Damage: 1d8 (19-20/x2).
      Bite: damage 1d6.
    • Extra feat: Weapon focus (Tarkatan blade).
    • Automatic languages: Common, Tarkatan. Additional: Abyssal.
    • Alignment: Most tarkatan are Caótic, usually Caótic Evil, suitable to their destroyer nature. Very rare time adpot a Good alignment.
    • Favored class: Barbarian.
    • LA: +2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 Race] Tarkata (Baraka's race) - Suggestions?

Impressive, I like it, though the +2 LA is annoying, it fits, this is between a strong LA +1 and a solid LA +2, IMO. It's not the kind of race i'm used to though so i can't give much on balance
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Half-Orc Fighter 3, wielding a Falchion, on a 24 point buy gets me just about everything this race does except scent and one or two of the skill bonuses. And that still leaves 2 feats to spend and a scimitar will get iterative attacks and can be enchanted far more cheaply (not to mention all the feats you can use more effectively). Not to mention the 2 extra hit dice.

So...I really don't think this race is worth +2 LA.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think this could easily be LA 0 if you ditch the weapon focus and dex bonus, because without those it just has 3 natural attacks and scent, and I guess the intimidate bonus is good too. Maybe toss in a -2 to wisdom in addition to the above changes and it would be fine without LA.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledore lives View Post
    I think this could easily be LA 0 if you ditch the weapon focus and dex bonus, because without those it just has 3 natural attacks and scent, and I guess the intimidate bonus is good too. Maybe toss in a -2 to wisdom in addition to the above changes and it would be fine without LA.
    The Wis penalty doesn't make sense, maybe an additional -2 to Cha or Int, but the race is supposed to be strong willed IIRC. And i think the Dex Bonus still makes sense, they're supposed to be fast, strong, and tough.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    The Wis penalty doesn't make sense, maybe an additional -2 to Cha or Int, but the race is supposed to be strong willed IIRC. And i think the Dex Bonus still makes sense, they're supposed to be fast, strong, and tough.
    -2 Cha was a typo, it was -4 Cha originally.

so... LA +1?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narciso Bizarro View Post
    Tarkata

The tarkatan are a race of warlike nomads from the wastelands of the Outworld. Their origin is not certain, but it is suspected that are a mixed breed of a human race of the Outworld and demons from the Netherrealm.

• +2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Int,-2 Cha: Swift and strong, naturally adapted for kombat. On the other hand, they tend to be irascible and rude, with little patience for the accumulation of knowledge.
    • Medium size
    • Base speed: 30'
    • Low light vision
    • Scent
    • +4 racial bonus to Intimidate
    • +2 racial bonus to Jump, Survival and Climb: natural born hunters, adapted to chase prey on the rough terrain of the Outworld.
    • Natural weapons:
      Tarkatan blades: Primary weapon. Bony retractable prolongations, can be drawn as free action. Can't be disarmed, can be sunder. Damage: 1d8 (19-20/x2).
      Bite: damage 1d6.
    • Extra feat: Weapon focus (Tarkatan blade).
    • Automatic languages: Common, Tarkatan. Additional: Abyssal.
    • Alignment: Most tarkatan are Caótic, usually Caótic Evil, suitable to their destroyer nature. Very rare time adpot a Good alignment.
    • Favored class: Barbarian.
    • LA: +2

I think as written, this could comfortably slot into LA +1.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I made up my own version a while back that's actually quite similar to yours. No guarantee that it's perfect, or that you'll even like it, but here it is if you'd like to see it:

Spoiler
    Show
    Tarkata as Player Characters:
    • +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -4 Charisma.
    • Outsider (Evil, Native)
    • Medium: As Medium creatures, tarkata have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Tarkatan base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Darkvision: Tarkata can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
    • Scent
    • Armblades: Tarkata have large metallic blades sheathed inside each forearm. They can be extended to full length or withdrawn as a Free action, and deal 1d8+Str mod damage. Armblades deal piercing or slashing damage, and achieve critical hits on a roll of 19 or 20, dealing x2 damage. A tarkatan's armblades are treated both as manufactured weapons and natural weapons for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons. Though technically natural weapons, and therefore able to be enhanced by the Improved Natural Attack feat and similar effects, armblades can be used to make iterative attacks like manufactured weapons and may never benefit from the Multiattack or Rapidstrike feats or other similar effects.
    • Chop Chop: Tarkata have supreme control over the every movement of their armblades and tend to utilize them with the slightest excuse. A tarkatan does not take a penalty on attack or damage rolls for attacking with both armblades simultaneously, though it must still take a full-round action to do so.
    • Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A tarkatan is automatically proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor, and shields.
    • Resistance to Cold 5, Fire 5, and Electricity 5.
    • +2 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks.
    • +4 racial bonus on Intimidate checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Pidgin. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Common, Giant, Ignan, Infernal.
    • Favored Class: Barbarian.
    • Level Adjustment: +2.

Tarkata have no language of their own but speak a pidgin of Giant, Abyssal, and Infernal. Creatures that can speak any of these languages must succeed on a DC 15 Intelligence check to communicate with a tarkatan. Check once for each bit of information: If the other creature speaks two of these languages, the DC is 10, and for someone who speaks all three, the DC is 5.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndworm View Post
    I made up my own version a while back that's actually quite similar to yours. No guarantee that it's perfect, or that you'll even like it, but here it is if you'd like to see it:
    mmm I like it, I can use a few things of this. But why energy resistance??

and what do mean with "iterative attacks"?

10. - Top - End - #10

It's extra attacks you get with standard weapons for a High BAB, natural attacks do not get them normally.

And the resistances is probably from them being part demon and demons have energy resistance.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    It's extra attacks you get with standard weapons for a High BAB, natural attacks do not get them normally.
    ahh yeah... that was an awful thing on this homebrewing. But giving them explicitly the capacity to make iterative attacks is a nice way to overcome that penalty

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Edro was completely right on both counts. The Energy Resistance seemed like a mediocre, situational boon that would help reinforce the idea of the tarkata being "other" in both crunch and fluff.
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

a last question... humanoid or outsider?

if it's outsider, do i have to take at least an outsider DG for hp, saves, skills and base atack and then use the class progresion?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you mean. What does "DG" stand for?
    Fluff | Crunch

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndworm View Post
    I'm afraid that I don't understand what you mean. What does "DG" stand for?
    jaja sorry! spanish for "Hit Dice"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

No worries, man.

Anyway, nah, no additional HD. You basically play it like any other race, but with different abilities and such. It's the same deal as the Aasimar and Tiefling, actually, but with an additional point of Level Adjustment.
    Fluff | Crunch