New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default "I don't need to roll" (3.5 spells, PEACH)

Impossible Focus
    Divination
    Level: Cleric 3, sorcerer/wizard 3
    Components: S
    Casting Time: 1 immediate action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: Instantaneous

Treat one attack roll, saving throw, skill check, or ability check as if you had rolled a 10.

Preternatural Calm
    Divination
    Level: Cleric 2, sorcerer/wizard 2
    Components: S
    Casting Time: 1 swift action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round/level

You can take 10 on skill checks and ability checks, even if stress and distractions would normally prevent you from doing so. Any other factors which would prevent you from taking 10 still apply.

I'm not quite certain they're worth the levels, so I assigned them conservatively. while being able to avoid the chance of auto-failing saves on a nat 1 is possibly powerful, it's not necessarily worth the spell slot and the immediate action; and the second might need a longer duration, because I do think I'd really rather cast guidance of the avatar.
    Last edited by sreservoir; 2011-08-25 at 11:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: "I don't need to roll" (3.5 spells, PEACH)

You don't automatically fail checks on 1s (nor automatically succeed on 20s). That's only for attack rolls and saving throws.
    A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Garryl View Post
    You don't automatically fail checks on 1s (nor automatically succeed on 20s). That's only for attack rolls and saving throws.
    I know that. the ability to avoid auto-fail saves on 1 is kind of helpful sometimes, though.

although the penalty is probably too high for it to be useful as written under normal circumstances, and it's probably easier to take out mooks with AOE anyway.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    I know that. the ability to avoid auto-fail saves on 1 is kind of helpful sometimes, though.

although the penalty is probably too high for it to be useful as written under normal circumstances, and it's probably easier to take out mooks with AOE anyway.
    Neither of those spells you made apply to checks. Saving throws and other non-check rolls (such as attack rolls, damage rolls, and miss chance rolls) are not checks, and thus don't qualify to be modified with Impossible Focus or Preternatural Calm.
    A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Garryl View Post
    Neither of those spells you made apply to checks. Saving throws and other non-check rolls (such as attack rolls, damage rolls, and miss chance rolls) are not checks, and thus don't qualify to be modified with Impossible Focus or Preternatural Calm.
    ... oh, that makes more sense.

do you know of any phrasing which specifically refers to d20+modifiers rolls?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

"Treat all attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks as if you had rolled a 10."?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    "Treat all attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks as if you had rolled a 10."?
    that sounds reasonable, I'm taking that phrasing.

8. - Top - End - #8

RogueGuy

I DO think there's an easier way to handle this.

Mending Fate [General]
    Prerequisite: Ability to cast 0th level spells
    Benefit: Whenever you would fail a save or attack roll due to rolling a natural 1 (but wouldn't fail it on a 2), you can give up one of your lowest spell slots to succeed instead.

Yeah, pretty much solves the problem.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I would place these at a much higher level. These spells duplicate maneuvers and class features, such as the Crusader's Aura of Perfect Order stance and the Rogue's Skill Mastery special, that aren't available until levels 10-11. Also, abilities that grant automatic success at a task are extremely potent -- you can be sure that players will use them when the chips are down and success is most important, so you're not just granting the ability to succeed at any old attack roll, saving throw, or skill check -- you're granting the ability to succeed at the most important ones. The lack of a verbal component also makes the spell more powerful, since it is more difficult to interrupt and can be cast secretly (you can cast it without revealing your location when you're Hiding, or perhaps hide the gestures under the table at a state dinner where you're not allowed to cast spells).

Preternatural Calm would more properly be a 5th level spell. Impossible Focus should be 6th level, or 7th if you're allowed to cast it after making the roll and seeing your die result.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Yay, mages get to have another really nice thing that melee can't hope to emulate! And at rather low levels, too!! Yay, magic!!!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Yay, mages get to have another really nice thing that melee can't hope to emulate! And at rather low levels, too!! Yay, magic!!!
    Could be made into a maneuver quite easily. It's not magic's fault that most melee classes have inflexible class features.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Could be made into a maneuver quite easily. It's not magic's fault that most melee classes have inflexible class features.
    No, but the Tier 1 guys don't need more ways to be Tier 1 guys, either. They don't really need this, & it helps the Wizard & the Cleric even more than the Sorcerer.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

They look ok, so long as you make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN not to:
    -Make any way to reliably know an enemy's AC or touch AC.
    -Allow any way for Impossible Focus to be applied to an enemy
    -Allow any way to extend either ability (especially Preternatural Calm) to other types of checks (particularly caster level checks and dispel checks.)