New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Banned

Default Re: My Little Pony XIX: I Emptied Your Thread

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    I call character combinations likes I sees 'em. I exaggerate about the ones that I claim result in murder for sake of humor, but I do seriously see misery on at least one pony's parts being the result when I do.
    That's true. I don't know, though. It's hard to tell, especially since we all have our slightly different characterizations of the ponies. I tens to think of ships I wouldn't support as 'thought exercises', a "if Rarity and RD got together and it worked, how would it?" kind of thing.

Semper Fidelis.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rarity tried to speak up, but Tirek had already charged into their midst. *Tirek had already smacked Twilight away before Soarin had the presence of mind to make his own charge.
    The two 'almost's throw this off; it doesn't scan well. You could probably combine them into one sentence;

"Rarity tried to speak up, but Tirek had already charged into their midst, and smacked Twilight away before Soarin had the presence of mind to make his own charge."

Which seems like the simplest way of handling it. That's if ouconsider it a problem, of course.

Otherwise, nice work. Except for the Untitled Document part. Couldn't find the tab for a spell there XD

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    To what end?
    Exposure. No press is bad press. Except word of mouth, which has me set against it. for some folks, this leek of fame is an achievement.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Danggum it. D&D and silly physical limitations of sleep keeping me from posting and such. And we're even talking about advanced physics and mathy stuff that I actually understand.

Bleh. I'll be coherant tomorrow. I'll respond and stuff then.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2011-08-06 at 12:34 AM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    See how many stars it got?

(Yes, I would be lying if I denied that I wasn't one of those who was uneasy at the marketing blitz the authors did. Other fics didn't even get 1/10th the attention Past Sins did.)
    Popularity, my not-quite-blue. Popularity. Nyx is adorable and I like fanart of her, but I've never felt compelled to read the story; it's the pony fanfic equivalent of a summer blockbuster, in that it's hyped all to heck before anyone sees it. In fact, it's like a lot of movie trailers, where I feel that my enjoyment of the trailer is in a weird twilight zone where my enjoyment won't be enhanced by actually seeing the movie.
    Maybe I'm a lot lazier than I realize, but that's way too much work for the attention alone (especially anonymous attention). I'm kind of interested now, though. Do ya'll know if they're a collective that's writing and making the art together or if the author is commissioning it?

4. - Top - End - #394
    Firbolg in the Playground

And one last random ?misery crack ship while I'm still sleep delirious:

BluebloodScratch
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    A challenge: rank the following cracks on level of misery

PhotoShy
    TrixieDash
    GildaWhooves
    GuardopoPie
    CherileeTia
    1 being least miserable, 5 being most miserable.

1) GuardoPie. Pinkie Pie would be his grounding character, reminding him he's more than the helmet. (in the metaphor of Robin or Catwoman or whoever his sidekick was helping Batman remember he's not just the mask).

2) CheriileeTia. It could conceivably last long term, though eventually Celestia would run into the Mayfly problem. This detail is present in all Celestia ships, so it isn't unique to this one; its presence places it above GuardoPie for misery.

3) TrixieDash: Constant bickering. CONSTANT bickering. But they're both ponies who seem to thrive on conflict, competition and bickering (it's the basis Dash's friendship with AJ, Trixie openly welcomes the hecklers for the chance to enhance her act). What puts this above CherileeTia is that I imagine this could be grating in a long term relationship. Eventually, one of them is going to have a bad day and want comfort, and the other might not realize this and keep up the normal playful banter until one of them is packing their things in a huff.

4) GildoHooves. For one thing, the anatomical differences between the species would be a wedge. And I don't just mean just sexually. Gilda's beak implies carnivory; Ponies are herbivores. Claws that can rip open prey can rip open ponies during embraces. Etc. This is on top of some poor pony having to put up with Gilda's personality... and some poor Griffon having to deal with the 10th Doctor's personality, as most fanfic writers write him. Both are jerks; different flavors of jerk, with different origins, but what elevates this over TrixieDash is that Gilda seems to like having things her way, and The Doctor is the same way, so the PLAYFUL part of the playful bickering would be absent far more often.

5) Photoshy. Photo Finish either is unaware of Fluttershy's wants and needs, or simply doesn't care. There are a lot of ponies who would walk all over Fluttershy, but Photo Finish is the one to do it the most completely. I cannot see the introduction of romance fundamentally altering their relationship dynamic.

EDIT: I can't judge Blueblood/Vinyl Scratch very well. I don't have an image of Vinyl's character to go on. Like, I know there's fanfics of her, and comics, and stuff, but I've never felt her as anything but that cool head banging pony with a nice design. What Blueblood needs is somepony with the will and ability to whip him into shape, and I don't know who the mare for the job is.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-08-06 at 12:52 AM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe I'm a lot lazier than I realize, but that's way too much work for the attention alone (especially anonymous attention). I'm kind of interested now, though. Do ya'll know if they're a collective that's writing and making the art together or if the author is commissioning it?
    I think they commissioned it. One of the good people on ponychan noted he saw fanart of Nyx before this even broke into Equestria Daily.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

Also, anonymous popularity is a strong motivator for me. Like, It's Always Sunny now has 251 ratings, 4.9 stars, over 100 reviews in various places, etc. I feel that justifies the month of work I've put into Semper Fidelis.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-08-06 at 12:54 AM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

8. - Top - End - #398
    Firbolg in the Playground

There's also the matter of doing something people enjoy and proving that the internet is not all...
    Let's call them Gildas.

And before I go to bed: Is there really any more miserable combo than Blueblood or Photo / Shy? Assuming she doesn't go stare/murder on the former.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2011-08-06 at 01:21 AM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

There's also the matter of doing something people enjoy and proving that the internet is not all...
    Let's call them Gildas.

And before I go to bed: Is there really any more miserable combo than Blueblood or Photo / Shy? Assuming she doesn't go stare/murder on the former.
    Hm... if we allow species barrier to be crossed, Fluttershy/That green dragon from Owl's Well That Ends Well.

Non-species barrier jump, Blueblood/Fluttershy is probably as miserable a pairing as the show could give us. You have the ultimate jerk paired with the ultimate doormat. Blueblood would have to threaten somepony besides Fluttershy to get her to snap out of it and defend herself; Fluttershy always needs somepony else to be in danger before she acts.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Let's call them Gildas.

What about Blueblood and Twilight? Assuming she's new to the dating scene, that is. Imagine him being his usual self and Twilight wondering if a first date is supposed to go like this. It's the romantic equivalent of being led through a minefield by someone who also doesn't know where the explosives are.
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2011-08-06 at 01:34 AM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, anonymous popularity is a strong motivator for me. Like, It's Always Sunny now has 251 ratings, 4.9 stars, over 100 reviews in various places, etc. I feel that justifies the month of work I've put into Semper Fidelis.
    I'd guess that it's psychologically identical to regular attention. Even if they have no idea who you are and only know you by "Bobcat" or "Pen Stroke," people are still writing about you. If it was as calculated as you guys are making it out to be, though, I still don't quite get what the end game was. Doing something for the pure fun and experience of it (and continuing once you get 10 good reviews) is very, very different in my mind than how ya'll are portraying this book's birth.

I don't know, whatever. Maybe we should stop talking about this. Flutterblood is the worst pair I can think of. Awesome band name, though.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-08-06 at 01:42 AM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aha. Well if I ever get around to finishing writing, I'll throw you a PM then.
    Feel free! :D

Hm... if we allow species barrier to be crossed, Fluttershy/That green dragon from Owl's Well That Ends Well.

Non-species barrier jump, Blueblood/Fluttershy is probably as miserable a pairing as the show could give us. You have the ultimate jerk paired with the ultimate doormat. Blueblood would have to threaten somepony besides Fluttershy to get her to snap out of it and defend herself; Fluttershy always needs somepony else to be in danger before she acts.
    I don't think I could stomach a Flutterblood fic.. I would feel too bad for Fluttershy.

(Bah, got ninja'd thinking I was witty coming up with 'Flutterblood'. )
    Last edited by WJMill; 2011-08-06 at 01:38 AM.
    3DS Friend Code: 3625-8308-8437
    Pokemon X | Harvest Moon ANB | Animal Crossing ANL
    Fighting Type | Machoke | Throh | Breloom

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

I'd guess that it's psychologically identical to regular attention. Even if they have no idea who you are and only know you by "Bobcat" or "Pen Stroke," people are still writing about you. If it was as calculated as you guys are making it out to be, though, I still don't quite get what the end game was. Doing something for the pure fun and experience of it (and continuing once you get 10 good reviews) is very, very different in my mind than how ya'll are portraying this book birth.

I don't know, whatever. Maybe we should stop talking about this. Flutterblood is the worst pair I can think of. Awesome band name, though.
    @ RD: I think Twilight would figure out the game sooner than Fluttershy, since How to Date and Stable Marriages in 257 Easy Steps would give her a baseline for comparison.

Also

Um, h-hi. We're Flutterb-blood and we're here to rock... if that's okay with you, we can play other music if you like, I've been working on my Hisponia style acoustic guitar songs...

Why did we let her be the lead again?
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-08-06 at 01:46 AM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Dwarf in the Playground

How to Date and Stable Marriages in 257 Easy Steps
    *snerk*

(Durn Internet's being picky tonight..)
    Last edited by WJMill; 2011-08-06 at 01:48 AM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

What Blueblood needs is somepony with the will and ability to whip him into shape, and I don't know who the mare for the job is.
    I vote Lix or Pheokun.

Can we only use ponies from the show, or can we name board/fanon characters for the pairings?
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    I vote Lix or Pheokun.

Can we only use ponies from the show, or can we name board/fanon characters for the pairings?
    The most miserable board pairing is Lix/AORTS Commander. Lix would be happy, but Commander's misery would be over 7.3 Gigayellers (the measure of sadness one feels watching the scene where Old Yeller dies for the first time).

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WJMill View Post
    *snerk*

(Durn Internet's being picky tonight..)
    Reg'lar Applejack don't like the look of her hipster clone.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

The most miserable board pairing is Lix/AORTS Commander. Lix would be happy, but Commander's misery would be over 7.3 Gigayellers (the measure of sadness one feels watching the scene where Old Yeller dies for the first time).
    I was going to say AOTRSShy would be the most miserable if we cross them though.
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2011-08-06 at 02:14 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    Thanks, everypony. The scary thing is tomorrow is going to be even more exhausting. Somehow I got roped into doing an awful lot.

Also, I should note, unlike Midnight, my family is pretty normal.

Uhm...except for the fact that I learned that I had an older half-sister when I was in my twenties. That was pretty strange, I guess.

...Maybe my family isn't normal.

A Midnight Nightmare Excerpt #5:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Elements.

They were the immediate danger. She did not know if they would have the same effect as they did as her former self, but they had defeated her twice before. She could not take that risk. Not with what was at stake now.

But she had realized it, the Elements weakness. Six Elements there were, therefore six Ponies made the balance of Harmony. Remove one, and the balance was destroyed. Remove one, and the others could not stop her.

Kindness. That was the one she had chosen. The one who lived far enough from the others that they would not be able to attempt a rescue. There she was, tending to her animals.

Aunt Fluttershy! Aunt Fluttershy! Can I help feed the bunnies?

There was no need for subterfuge. She was but a pegasus without the others, and one beset by fear at that. She landed before the stunned, custard pelted pony, bathing the pegasus in all of her glory.

T-Thanks for the splint, Aunt Fluttershy...I guess I was putting my hooves before my head. Oh, my Mommas are gonna kill me..

The look on her face. Shock, yes, but not fear. Relief...relief and worry. Kindness took a step forwards, not a step back. She called out her name.

Here, Aunt Fluttershy, let me pour the tea. It's easier for me.

Why...Why was she hesitating? She had but invoke the magic that was on the tip of her horn, and Flutter...and Kindness would be no more of a threat. The Elements would no longer be a threat. It was so simple.

Did you *really* stop a dragon, Aunt Fluttershy?

No! No, for her sake, she would do this!

The magic was invoked. Fluttershy's eyes widened, as she began to dissolve into colorful smoke, a bottle appearing before her. A single word escaped her lips, her name once again. She turned her head from those eyes filled with betrayal, before Fluttershy disappeared into smoke, the wisps filling the bottle and sealed inside.

It was done. She was victorious.

Then, what...what was this feeling inside her?

It's guilt.

She had done what she had needed. She had eliminated the threat to her plan. Then why...why did her chest feel so heavy?

You feel guilty because you love her. After all, I should know...

Something was rolling down her cheeks.

You've been with me all my life...

They were tears...
    .... you... I mean... you...

Spoiler
    Show
    You djinnified Fluttershy! You turned her into Djinnishy! I... I mean... BAD PONY! -(Whaps with a newspaper)-

That said, I'm loving it so far, and you will get so many flames for doing that. Bad pony. ^^

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

She's regretting that point in her life, similar to how Haley feels about GothHaley.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #411
    Dwarf in the Playground

Naw, we're still good friends. (We were friends before being friends was cool.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    She's regretting that point in her life, similar to how Haley feels about GothHaley.
    (Actually I do, haha. I used to have pants from Hot Topic that were so baggy, I fit Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in one of the pockets..)
    Last edited by WJMill; 2011-08-06 at 02:10 AM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

I was cool before it was cool to be cool.

@EsperDerek
    I think I need to rob both Microsoft and Google to give you the Internets you so richly deserve.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

Fact: hipsters use time machines not to change history or for scientific exploration, but in a never ending game of oneupsmanship, to see who can in fact enjoy something first.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

Fact: hipsters use time machines not to change history or for scientific exploration, but in a never ending game of oneupsmanship, to see who can in fact enjoy something first.
    The next Doctor needs to be a Hipster for exactly this reason.

Also, it occurs to me that Hipster AJ and Rarity might get along better than normal AJ and Rarity.

On one hand, Hipster AJ is a Hipster, on the other hand, can you get any firstier than a designer custom making clothes specifically for you?

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415
    Dwarf in the Playground

That is one laid back game of Chrononauts you're playin' there, man...

26. - Top - End - #416
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yannow, I've always wondered about Dr. Whooves and the bevy of background ponies with hourglass symbols. Secret Society of Hipsters?

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

Yannow, I've always wondered about Dr. Whooves and the bevy of background ponies with hourglass symbols. Secret Society of Hipsters?
    The serious answer is that I think of them as the Time Patrol, the equivalent of the Weather Patrol. They keep time moving in the right direction, and fight the odd Dalek.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

My understanding is those are all actually the same pony. They're simply different versions or reincarnations of the same character, who keeps renewing himself and returning in slightly different ways. I could be wrong though, I'm not that familiar with the original Dr. Who.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

29. - Top - End - #419
    Dwarf in the Playground

The serious answer is that I think of them as the Time Patrol, the equivalent of the Weather Patrol. They keep time moving in the right direction, and fight the odd Dalek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    My understanding is those are all actually the same pony. They're simply different versions or reincarnations of the same character, who keeps renewing himself and returning in slightly different ways. I could be wrong though, I'm not that familiar with the original Dr. Who.
    While I'm not well read in the Who-niverse, both are plausible. (I've been meaning to get into it, because my friends have hyped it up to high Heavens, I just haven't found the time and the Internet is poopy here, thus making streaming Netflix painful.)

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    That'd be in line with Doctor Who, except that each individual time lord only has 13 regenerations, and the hourglass is a VERY popular background cutie mark.

@ WJ: I wouldn't recommend Who; it's possibly one of my least favorite series ever. It's taken Doctor Whooves being a popular background pony for me to have anything but rage at the series in general and its title character in particular. I seem to have a minority opinion on the internet, though.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-08-06 at 02:26 AM.