New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Bibliography - Choose Your Own Adventure

After reading much MS Paint Adventures, I came to these forums and managed to find AgentPaper's own version of it. Reading through it, I was inspired to try and make my own. This is an experiment for me. It's been proven that this format works on it's own, but what happens if I try and tie it in with another story?

Credits to Andrew Hussie for pioneering this format of storytelling, and AgentPaper as well as Domochevsky for showing me that it doesn't take Andrew Hussie to make a story like this good.

As for how it works... I'll directly quote AgentPaper's first post.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Over the course of this game, you, the forumgoers, will decide what path our hero and his companions will take and how they will defeat their enemies! The story is completely open to whatever commands you give, but choose wisely, as there may well be consequences. And hijinks!

After I post each update, you, the players, will be able to submit your commands, and then I will pick one of those commands and post the next update, after which you will again be able to submit commands, and so forth. Anyone can post a command, and the command can be anything you wish, but try not to repeat a command someone else has already given. All commands must be given in bold to help me find them, and you can only give one command per update each. Feel free to discuss the comic as much as you like in this thread as well.
    This story will be set within the world of Bibliography, a webcomic. Please check it out in the Webcomics section of these forums.

Kim: FREE (dibs by Salbazier)
    Clay: Taken by HypoSoc

Fanart
    Ben and Kim by Kasanip

Entry 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Choose your gender.

Are you a boy or a girl?

Girl.

Entry 2
    Spoiler
    Show

Wow! What a landslide victory! You were rather worried for a second there, but it seems that your femininity has been secured. You feel a little bad for your male counterpart, but only one of you can be written into existence and it seems the better gender won this time.

But, you have a funny feeling you forgot something. And you did. It seems that somebody else will have to tell you your name, as well as whether you come from a family of Librarians or Pages.

Kimberly, Page.

Entry 3
    Spoiler
    Show

Of course. The voices inside your head have kindly jogged your memory. Your name is Kimberly, a name that you think suits you very well. Kimberly. It's a nice name. Maybe Kim for short. You also remember that your family has come from a long line of Pages, but you can't seem to remember which Codex your family are Pages of!

Which Codex?
    The Gelatinous Codex
    The Codex of Temptation
    The Codex of Solomon
    The Holy Codex
    The Nine-Tailed Codex

Codex of Temptation

Entry 4
    Spoiler
    Show

You awake from a strange dream where you didn't know who you were. But since you're awake now, you remember. Your name is Kimberly Lockhart, and you're a Page of the Codex of Temptation, also known as a Succubus. Being called a Succubus is kind of a bad rep, though, so you prefer the more neutral title of Page. Your natural powers - disregarding your Lexicon - involve altering people's impressions of other people. For you, the best you can do is give off bad impressions or good impressions, but more advanced Succubi and Incubi can cause people to fall in love or hate each other.

You realize for the first time what an easily-abused power this is.

The man driving the truck is your father, Roark Lockhart. He works in the police force as a negotiator, and with his powers as an Incubus he's pretty much the best of the best. He hasn't been the same since the divorce, but you don't know what the big deal is. You've seen your mother maybe three times in your life. Trying to get away from bad memories, he's decided to move to Canada from the United States. The city of Tiltstone is said to be pretty good to Pages.

Now you are in the land of maple syrup, igloos, and Eskimos. You figure you will have to get used to spelling color and honor with a 'u' and start pronouncing Z as 'zed' before you get beat up at school.

The moving truck turns down a road and you enter the suburbs. You park in front of a house.

Is there anything you want to do?

Try on sexy outfits.

Entry 5
    Spoiler
    Show

Silly! All your sexy outfits are in boxes! You'll have to try them on later.

You leave your father to do all the moving and unpacking - he's a Page, he can handle it - and decide to stretch your legs and explore the neighbourhood, maybe introduce yourself to your neighbours. One house over, you knock on the door.

How exciting!

A young man bursts through the door and starts babbling at you in Yiddish. You note that he seems to be missing a hand.

Introduce yourself, flirt a little, ask him to lend a hand, and ask what's wrong.

Entry 6
    Spoiler
    Show

You introduce yourself and ask him to lend a hand in your best flirty voice. He blushes, embarassed, and smoke comes out of his ears (vents?) with a little sound effect. You find this absolutely hilarious. With your Page powers, you can sense that you've made quite an impression on him! After he is done venting his system, he introduces himself in slightly broken English.

"I... I is Clay Adelstein. Sorry, was thinking you are father."

You ask him what's wrong.

"I... I playing with my brother in backyard. Basketball. I dunk, brother jumps strange, I hit him with ball. My hand fall off in confusion, now brother won't

boot up. I call father a bit ago, he say he coming back soon. Brother's construction much worse than me, I worried."

Sultrily lend assistance.

Entry 7
    Spoiler
    Show

You tell Clay that you'll help him, and he seems very glad, thanking you in his broken English. He opens the door and lets you in. You run slightly ahead of him, shooting him a wink, and he turns completely red.

You may have caused him to overheat.

With your powers, you can tell that he's already taken quite a liking to you. A couple more steps and he might even develop a crush! He seems to be a robot, though. That's gonna be kind of weird.

You go through his house and end up in the backyard. There is a hoop here, and another person lying down on the ground. His body is very similar to Clay's own, although it is slightly blockier. He seems to be a very cool guy, though, since his shades take up almost half of his face. Right beside him is Clay's hand. He must've not seen it in his panic. The hand is much too complicated for you to even know where to start. Whoever made it must be some sort of robotics genius.

Attempt to reattach his hand, and stay with him until his dad arrives.

Entry 8
    Spoiler
    Show

You attempt to attach his hand for him. It doesn't seem to quite stick, so you give up on it. While you are doing Clay gets even redder. You are determined to see if this boy can explode.

You sit down with him and engage in small talk while you wait. He tells you a couple things about himself. Apparently he just arrived recently in Tiltstone as well.

"Reason English no good. Father not finish English module yet. I have beta. My brother has nothing. Finished version come out... soon. Father says soon."

As your conversation continues, all of a sudden you hear the front door opening and a loud Yiddish voice booms through the house.

You decide to pull a little prank!

Entry 9
    Spoiler
    Show

Just then you get a wonderful yet terrible idea!

As Clay gets up from his seat to greet the person coming through, you accidentally trip and grab him by the arm, tugging him to the ground. You end up in what is quite obviously an innocent position for two teens of your age to be in. Completely casual. There is a distinct possibility that Clay may be going nuclear.

The door opens, and a small man stands in the doorway.

Continue with prank!

Entry 10
    Spoiler
    Show

Just as the man walks through the door and sees you, you get up, attempting to explain the situation as nothing more than a harmless accident. However, your chest accidentally pushes straight into Clay's face, rendering the poor boy near catatonic. It's a good thing that he seems to be a robot. If he was human, you're afraid the brightness of his blush would cause third-degree burns, but as it is his face is rather cool.

You're a very good actor! Perhaps you should consider joining the drama club when school starts.

The man standing in the doorway gapes for a second, before exclaiming:

"Clay, my boy! You've finally brought a girl home!"

Introduce yourself and explain what is going on while raising Clay's temperature.

Entry 11
    Spoiler
    Show

You introduce yourself to your neighbour, and attempt to explain the situation, as Clay seems to be in no position to do it himself. The old man introduces himself as Thomas Adelstein, and quickly starts to begin checking out both Clay's detached hand and his brother.

"Hmmm... Well, the situation's not particularly serious, but I'll need my tools for this. Red was constructed before Clay, you know. That makes him an older brother - but it also means that he was completed before I perfected the design. He's prone to errors, but mostly small things like coughs. Clay! Bring him to the lab. You may come too, young lady."

You move through the house once Clay has regained his composure, following the old man and his son. You can't help but feel that you've seen this person's face before somewhere - possibly on TV?

You arrive in the lab. It's a very high-tech place, you think. Looks almost like something that you'd see in a sci-fi show. Thomas tells Clay to put his brother on the table.

Last edited by Elagune; 2010-06-24 at 12:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Bibliography - Choose Your Own Adventure

Well, let's see how this goes.

I'd say boy, but how 'bout GIRL?

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

So, just curious, but will this possibly intersect with Bibliography? Because that would be awesome (though it might get a little awkward).

As for my vote, it's hard to say for sure on this choice so I'll use the ancient tried and true technique of dice rolling. 1 means Boy, 2 means Girl. Roll. Well, looks like a vote for Girl.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-06-19 at 01:39 AM.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

4. - Top - End - #4

I'm not sure if the two will intersect, but it's a possibility. The problem is that the pacing of the two threads will definitely be different, so that's another thing to watch out for. For now, they take place in two different universes.

Voting times are going to be about a day, but it's not a definite. Sometimes I might take longer, sometimes it might be shorter. It'll all depend.
    Last edited by Elagune; 2010-06-19 at 02:07 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

How's about a nice pretty lady, GIRL.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I may have calmed down a little bit; to the point of being able to post, but I still feel unable to express my opinions of this without using a certain expletive preceding the word "yes", written in all caps and probably an obtrusive font size.

I'll put my vote down for a girl though, just as a counterpoint to Ben.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

7. - Top - End - #7

Chimera

Interesting. GIRL
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elagune View Post
    I'm not sure if the two will intersect, but it's a possibility. The problem is that the pacing of the two threads will definitely be different, so that's another thing to watch out for. For now, they take place in two different universes.
    Well, that issue can be avoided by having them in the same universe but occurring in either different time periods (though that has the issue of either setting them far apart or risking the one that happened first eventually catching up to the start of the latter), or just not have any direct contact (unless you decide otherwise and it works out), but throw in occasional references to events that happened in the other story.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

I happen to prefer the girl drawing.
    Last edited by memnarch; 2010-06-19 at 12:33 PM.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    I happen to prefer the girl drawing.
    I'll point out that if you want that vote to count you're supposed to put it in bold.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

>Girl

She's roughly 56% more adorable than her male counterpart.
    Truth resists simplicity.

12. - Top - End - #12

New entry up!

Okay, considering every single vote so far has been for girl, I've decided to just cut out the rest of the vote and just go for it. This one you guys might be a little more indecisive about.
    Last edited by Elagune; 2010-06-19 at 04:56 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Kimberly, Page

Please. It's perhaps my third favorite name. It's a nice sound, I'm only telling you this because my post looked incredibly bare before.
    Last edited by IcemanJRC; 2010-06-19 at 05:09 AM.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Susan L. Knight

No, it's no a Deathnote reference with L as her middle name.
    Don't blame me, blame the baby name generator that I use to create millions of NPC's for modern settings!

Oh, and if we're choosing right now, PAGE. THAT IS ALL.
    Last edited by Creed; 2010-06-19 at 05:18 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

15. - Top - End - #15

Hmm...I like the sound of Kimberly.

And I agree, page.
    Kopaka in a former life.

Avatar made with "help" from banthesun.

16. - Top - End - #16

What's the setting, Canada like the "main story"?

I think she looks like an Aurelie. And a Librarian.
    Last edited by Gez; 2010-06-19 at 08:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #17

I vote Librarian. I think she looks like a Rose
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

18. - Top - End - #18

Chimera

Mmm,... I'll just thirded Kimberly. Yes, i have no good idea.

I vote Librarian
    Last edited by Salbazier; 2010-06-19 at 08:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Aww, I'm sad the guy doesn't get any attention. I did like him too! I was kinda hoping he could be a NPC friend.

For some reason, I'm tempted to go with Rose. Possibly because the picture has four characters blanked out (and don't anyone go telling me that * can be used to represent numerous characters!)

And a Page, their limitations should make for an interesting story.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

20. - Top - End - #20

Name?
    Elona, Susan, Shonagam.
    or Susan, Elona, what ever.
    Oh, and definitely Page.
    Last edited by EternalMelon; 2010-06-19 at 09:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    With a roar of effort, I make everyone agree with EternalMelon.
    Traa-tan by Demastro

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Great comic.

I think our protagonist of the CYOA is Selene a Page.
    Last edited by NotAEvilToaster; 2010-06-19 at 10:23 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by NotAEvilToaster View Post
    Great comic.

I think our protagonist of the CYOA is Selene a Page of the Lunar Codex.
    Yeah, Selene == Moon; but honestly if she's a page, she should be from a different codex, so that she's not just a brunette version of Eve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Meh. I guess we shall see. I still wish to keep the name.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Yeah, Selene == Moon; but honestly if she's a page, she should be from a different codex, so that she's not just a brunette version of Eve.
    I agree 100%
    I'm pulling for the Sanguine codex. They are referenced in Chapter 1, Page 15, and described as vampires.

The irony here would be that if this does connect to the comic, then this character might also fall in love with Ben, creating a stereotypical vampires-v-werewolves cliche. Assuming of course that my notion is correct and Eve does like Ben.
    But this may or may not be a good idea, I'm just brainstorming and venting ideas so my brain empties.
    Last edited by Creed; 2010-06-19 at 10:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

25. - Top - End - #25

Planetar

Name: Ellen. Page... Of a Codex we haven't seen or heard of yet.
    Last edited by Fayd; 2010-06-19 at 11:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Kimberly, Page preferably of a cat themed codex.

Also, the male persona should turn to the Dark Side.
    Last edited by Zeful; 2010-06-19 at 11:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Another entry up. Seems there's really no set time for voting. I guess it all depends on when I feel like it?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe she should be.

Jade the Librarian. Though if she does end up a Page my vote would go to Sanguine Codex.

Ninja'd by an update.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2010-06-19 at 11:59 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Oooo First!!
    Temptation, is that like a love/ hate feeling altering codex?
    MUST KNOW MORE!

If its not apparent, Temptation is my vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    With a roar of effort, I make everyone agree with EternalMelon.
    Traa-tan by Demastro

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to say Solomon Codex.