New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Once Upon A time

Quote Originally Posted by LordRahl6 View Post
    I'm not going to disagree with the greater portion of what you guys are saying. However, I will point out a few things. When Augustus comes to town, (whom we find out later is Pinnochio) Emma, Henry, and Regina independently or together are all going HUH!!??. So on some level Storybrooke is cut off from the rest of the world. As for Regina sending Snow/Mary Margette to the state pentintary, I seem to remember a confrontation between Regina and Rumplestilskin that said it would be a death sentence to leave.

Finally as for Baelfyre, how many believe he is the "Mystery Man" from the S2 premiere?
    My current theory is he's Peter Pan.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So, I'm currently watching season 1 (it's awesome), and I have a questions for the americans here. Is it really that easy to be Sheriff in the states or is it just a plot device? I mean, Emma wins an election and poof, she's he town's only cop, complete with gun and cell and everything....
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    So, I'm currently watching season 1 (it's awesome), and I have a questions for the americans here. Is it really that easy to be Sheriff in the states or is it just a plot device? I mean, Emma wins an election and poof, she's he town's only cop, complete with gun and cell and everything....
    Not that easy, though I think it's different in small towns. Also, being that she's a Private investigator and likely already had many of the qualifications and carrying licences, I'd say it's just that a few details were "skimmed" for the sake of plot.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

i love this show, just about to watch last nights episode...

i certainly hope nothing happens to Mr. Gold/rumple. he reminds me of myself in a convoluted, creepy magical way...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

New episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No... not magic... SCIENCE!

Yeah, Frankenstein is awesome.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

New episode;

Spoiler
    Show
    After the amazingness that was introducing Captain Hook, up to and including referencing Crocodiles taking hands, and introducing Mr. Smee, complete with the red cap, I am legitimately disappointed with 'Frankenstein'.

Let's be clear, one of the biggest mysteries of Season 1, was who is Dr. Whale? So much fan reaction to this guy who shows up every other episode and nobody seems to know who he is. So much so, that it was even a minor plot point in the first episode.

Given that he's played by Dave Anders - who has a penchant for playing villians - fan favourite theory was that he would be Monstroso, the WHALE (probably retconned into [monster]), who eats Pinnocchio - a plot thread from S1. Being that his name is Dr. Whale, this seemed awesome. Given that he's the one that started the riot and his hidden streak for violence, it was also theorised that he could be an Ogre.

However, the introduction of Hook in the previous episode - and pirates - made people think of Moby ****, the White Whale.

I don't know. I mean, Dr. Frankenstein is okay. But he could've been so much more. I would have preferred Doc Whale's identity to be the main plot arc of Season 2. I'm just disappointed. That's all.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    New episode;

Spoiler
    Show
    After the amazingness that was introducing Captain Hook, up to and including referencing Crocodiles taking hands, and introducing Mr. Smee, complete with the red cap, I am legitimately disappointed with 'Frankenstein'.

Let's be clear, one of the biggest mysteries of Season 1, was who is Dr. Whale? So much fan reaction to this guy who shows up every other episode and nobody seems to know who he is. So much so, that it was even a minor plot point in the first episode.

Given that he's played by Dave Anders - who has a penchant for playing villians - fan favourite theory was that he would be Monstroso, the WHALE (probably retconned into [monster]), who eats Pinnocchio - a plot thread from S1. Being that his name is Dr. Whale, this seemed awesome. Given that he's the one that started the riot and his hidden streak for violence, it was also theorised that he could be an Ogre.

However, the introduction of Hook in the previous episode - and pirates - made people think of Moby ****, the White Whale.

I don't know. I mean, Dr. Frankenstein is okay. But he could've been so much more. I would have preferred Doc Whale's identity to be the main plot arc of Season 2. I'm just disappointed. That's all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those theories aren't necessarily disproven at this point. Rumplestiltskin ended up also playing the role of the Beast so we know characters in this show can fill more than one story space. There's still the question of how he gets in range of the curse to be transported to Storybrooke.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    My current theory is he's Peter Pan.
    Assuming Rumplestiltskin does not count as one.
    Exception cannot prove the rule. It disproves it.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tenno Seremel View Post
    Assuming Rumplestiltskin does not count as one.
    He's the crocodile.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2012-10-30 at 02:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    He's the crocodile.
    He is… many things.
    Exception cannot prove the rule. It disproves it.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tenno Seremel View Post
    He is… many things.
    True enough, but it would be quite strange if he was two characters in the same story. So far that hasn't happened. He's just replaced characters as to bind the story together.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Did anyone catch the ironies and secondhand references in the latest episode? I mean David Anders playing Dr. Frankenstein, on Heroes he was an immortal and now he's the classic character seeking to create immortal life. Totally ironic!

Also loved the references to the slippers which no doubt refers to a more modern piece of children's fiction.

Next week looks to be Jack and the Beanstalk story to one degree or another which the cast has been waiting for from the beginning.
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder if one of the wolves is the one that harrassed the three pigs.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    I wonder if one of the wolves is the one that harrassed the three pigs.
    haha, that would be funny.

I'm curious to see the next one. looks to involve Night of the Walking Dead or something.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oooh, a Once Upon A Time thread! Finally, people to talk to about who is who!

I admit it took some getting into starting with the first season, but you really have to watch them all in order to understand what's happening. And I really don't like Jennifer Morrison all that much. I thought Emma was stilted and badly written throughout season one. Now that it's turning more and more into something of an ensemble series, it gets better and better. I love season 2 - I really don't think there's been a bad episode up until now.

So, spoilers

Neal Cassady (the guy from ep.2)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hmmm, I seem to remember a bit from the internets that said Word of God was that Peter Pan won't be a part of this n the near future. He could be an ordinary mortal, of course, but that would make him the first one ever to arrive in Storybrooke. And he "believes in magic". I'm definitely going with adult Baelfire.

And it would make perfect sense: As we have seen in the latest episode, Gold is really fond of Henry. Probably because he somehow feels a connection because he's his grandson?

I'm really looking forward to Neal arriving in Storybrooke. This is gonna be fun!

Cora (Regina's mom)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knew from ep.2 on that she will be the Queen of Hearts. Heck, I'd put money on that bet...

She wore a veil in season 1, so Regina never recognized her. But it's really obvious, don't you think? Just as "Regina" means Queen, Cora is one more meaningful name, being the word root for "heart" in Latin. Or Greek. Whatever.

And her emblem is a heart. Her book of magic has one emblazoned on the front, and I think she wears a necklace or something with it. It stuck with me because it was so incongruous.

Episode 7 spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    So now that Aurora and Henry can see each other in their dreams, David, Henry, Emma and Snow can communicate between worlds. Yay!

And I really don't think that burning the hat was so bad - isn't there the tree, still? August knows where it is... Though I really hope that Spencer/King George is behind bars next episode. Too many people already got away with blatant murder. That poor mouse guy.

And I'm really curious as to how Regina's character is going to develop. At the moment she seems to be turning genuinely good, but she's done so many evil things (and has been a bit of an insufferable Karma Houdini for it - yeah, I really liked Graham).

Any thoughts?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

I really hope Neil isn't Baelfire for no other reason than I just don't like Neil and yeah I was pissed when Graham was killed.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-11-12 at 08:02 PM.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

One of the better aspects of this series is how well the villains seem to draw as much sympathy as the heroes, these are tragic characters who suffer for what they attempt to achieve. Regina sacrifices love of every sort in an effort for vengeance and Rumpelstiltskin is a cripple, emotionally and physically. He literally cannot stand up to the world without magic, however he sacrificed that in an effort to be reunited with his family...
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

@fjolnir: Yes! Regina has done so many bad things in season 1, but now that they're exploring her backstory, you can't help but feel sorry for her. And with Gold even more so (even if he does cross quite a few moral event horizons, sometimes several in the same effin' episode - but somehow it all balances out).

I know a show is well written when I suddenly find myself identifying with the villain.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Yeah, I got the same sense that Cora was the Queen of Hearts as well. To many allusions to be pure coincendence, but I've been misdirected as well. In the Dr. Whale/Frankenstein there were allusions to Oz before the full impact of it being from Mary Shelley's classic horror. Speaking of which I'm wondering how the Curse was able to pick up individuals like Victor and Jefferson, but leave Cora, Mulan, and Aurora behind?

Finally after the Tallahasee episode, i think the "mystery man" from the Season 2 premiere is Henry's father. To much facial similarity between him and the bad boy Emma was hanging out with.
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, it's him alright - remember how August promised to send him a postcard? He kept that promise. That's what you saw in ep.2.

And Regina said something about only taking those with her that she wanted to come along. She took Frankenstein, but not his brother. She took her father's remains and that guy she loved (forgetting the name). She might not have known or cared about Aurora or Mulan (she wasn't part of that story, after all), and she didn't know her mother was still alive. (And if she had known, she would have been really specific about leaving her behind.)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Anyone else watch the latest episode yet? Cant say that i'm suprised...

Although...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am curious how Hook and Cora managed to get a pirate ship out of the fantasy world and into storybrook harbor...

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion6 View Post
    Anyone else watch the latest episode yet? Cant say that i'm suprised...

Although...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am curious how Hook and Cora managed to get a pirate ship out of the fantasy world and into storybrook harbor...
    Spoiler
    Show
    probably the same way captain hook got a pirate ship into neverneverland, he sailed into the ocean, dropped a bean into the water, and sailed into the resultant whirlpool.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mabn View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    probably the same way captain hook got a pirate ship into neverneverland, he sailed into the ocean, dropped a bean into the water, and sailed into the resultant whirlpool.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That explains it. I had forgotten about that.

I am honestly tempted to try to rip someones heart out, they make it seem so easy

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion6 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I am honestly tempted to try to rip someones heart out, they make it seem so easy
    Magic

Spoiler
    Show
    what I want to know is why, if they're able to freely fiddle with each other's insides Rumpelstiltskin still has a limp. I understand the applications have so far been shown to be heart-specific, but leg surgery is way easier than heart surgery and seeing how Rumpelstiltskin apparently researched and prepared for everything I'm a little surprised he didn't spend some time figuring out how to walk properly. Unless he has and he just really likes swaggering around with a pimp cane.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mabn View Post
    Magic

Spoiler
    Show
    what I want to know is why, if they're able to freely fiddle with each other's insides Rumpelstiltskin still has a limp. I understand the applications have so far been shown to be heart-specific, but leg surgery is way easier than heart surgery and seeing how Rumpelstiltskin apparently researched and prepared for everything I'm a little surprised he didn't spend some time figuring out how to walk properly. Unless he has and he just really likes swaggering around with a pimp cane.
    I think it's a fake weakness and a show that he puts on to seem less threatening and so people underestimate him.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    I think it's a fake weakness and a show that he puts on to seem less threatening and so people underestimate him.
    Don't forget all magic comes with a price.
    Heart ripping kills you empathy as far as I can tell (as Queen went evil after she started doing it repeatily); not a big price it seems though.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well when Emma checked in at Grannie's at the end of the Pilot, Time started moving forward again. So that's not a major concern anymore, but it must have been interesting first dozen years of his life.
    I agree. This would have been an important and interesting thing to have covered. However, I think the opportunity to showcase it has passed.

Finally, I have to agree that perhaps the only way Rumpelstilkin is going to overcome his fears and addictions is to have Belle's help.
    Pretty much. He could have been free of the curse if he had let it go back in the realm, but instead he chased away the only person capable of helping.

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Sheriff is an elected position in most of the US. Whether it is as easy for someone to get elected sheriff as Emma was is a different story.

Also loved the references to the slippers which no doubt refers to a more modern piece of children's fiction.
    "The Wizard of Oz" is over 100 years old. Hence why captain america recognized the reference in "The Avengers".
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadly we are only in Season 1 the episode featuring Grumpy. THe German translation seems to be good so far.

The good thing is we can record shows and set it up to record Once Upon A Time each wednesday... since Wednesday is gaming day for us. A nice streaming site would be awesome but... there is still nothing good and functioning available here...
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just caught up on the show and I have to say there's this one minor point that's been bugging me.
    I understand how tv shows and the like tend to tone it down on blood, but with so much willy-nilly heart ripping that goes on in this show it seems suspiciously clean. I mean by all appearances they seem to go straight through the victums's clothing without so much as leaving a mark (even with magic aside, Victor 'operating' on Daniel had the same lack of effect).

That and Mary Margret and James both still seem younger in appearance then Emma to me, and as much as Emma likes pointing out how weird it is to finally know her parents, this seems one point she's fine with.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    Just caught up on the show and I have to say there's this one minor point that's been bugging me.
    I understand how tv shows and the like tend to tone it down on blood, but with so much willy-nilly heart ripping that goes on in this show it seems suspiciously clean. I mean by all appearances they seem to go straight through the victums's clothing without so much as leaving a mark (even with magic aside, Victor 'operating' on Daniel had the same lack of effect).

That and Mary Margret and James both still seem younger in appearance then Emma to me, and as much as Emma likes pointing out how weird it is to finally know her parents, this seems one point she's fine with.
    Well, Emma is 28 and lived a hard life. Mary Margaret and James were both about 25, as far as I can tell, when the curse hit, and while not living easy lives also lived in a magical world. Remember, the curse stopped time. So the only person who aged in Storybrook was Henry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.