New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Malamundus (A 3.5 Campaign Setting)

So, Jotun names. I've been thinking about first names, they might be some variation on their father's whether by rhyme, alliteration, variation, or kenning. As for surnames, here's a link explaining how viking surnames are formed from their father's name, since the Jotun language you've posted so far seems to be roughly nordic sounding( thought tending to the gutteral and harsh extremes of the languages).
    For the name I made for your PbP, I created the surname as following that site then added an 'r' suffix since that roughly corresponds to the english word 'the', then created a surname out of the grandfather's name but I omitted the -son suffix. This was loosely supposed to read as "X, the son of X, son of X," the r was added to the father's name and the -son omitted from the grandfather's name so that the name order could be swapped around for poetic or dramatic reasons whilst still conveying the meaning. Norse sentence structure wasn't rigid like in english and the words could pretty much just be arranged as desired, so I figured what the hel it's cool. What are your thoughts on the matter?
    Last edited by Mayhem; 2011-04-13 at 05:21 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So, Jotun names. I've been thinking about first names, they might be some variation on their father's whether by rhyme, alliteration, variation, or kenning. As for surnames, here's a link explaining how viking surnames are formed from their father's name, since the Jotun language you've posted so far seems to be roughly nordic sounding( thought tending to the gutteral and harsh extremes of the languages).
    For the name I made for your PbP, I created the surname as following that site then added an 'r' suffix since that roughly corresponds to the english word 'the', then created a surname out of the grandfather's name but I omitted the -son suffix. This was loosely supposed to read as "X, the son of X, son of X," the r was added to the father's name and the -son omitted from the grandfather's name so that the name order could be swapped around for poetic or dramatic reasons whilst still conveying the meaning. Norse sentence structure wasn't rigid like in english and the words could pretty much just be arranged as desired, so I figured what the hel it's cool. What are your thoughts on the matter?
    Much less than you've given it. I was just thinking more along the lines of -son and -dottar, but I like where you've taken it (and nice research!). I'm not at all averse to real world parallels, and the jotuns are definitely intended to be Norse. So, I think you've got the right idea.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Cool. You've said while jotun is a fairly unique language they are quick to pickup other languages without much worry. This explains it when Jotun names aren't quite as brutal as their language, so norse names can easily fit.

I'll break down the name I choose, which is Bjornolfr "Gnżn" Steinnbiarnarssonr Naglnjortas. What a mouthful. Anyway, gnyn is an inherited nickname, I figured raiders, explorers, and sailors would need short and direct names that are easy enough to be spoken by foreigners. The relationship between bjornolfr and steinnbjornr( the bjorn suffix in a surname becomes biarnar-) is pretty obvious really( Can't have ulfbjorn or it would have been that). The relationship between Naglnjortr and steinnbjornr is from rhyme though- I imagined Naglnjortr having an enormous brood to his wife and multiple concubines that they ran out of alliteration and variations and so had to start rhyming.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, while jotun do not have any special aptitude for languages, their lack of an intelligence penalty makes them suitably average - and considering that a good half of the population of Earth is bilingual, picking up an extra language shouldn't be out of the ordinary.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

What about the common animals of this world? What sort of creatures can one expect to grow up around? What do the mounted archers and knight-equivalents ride?
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

As an ecology designed by the Abyss, I'm half hoping for something like Skull Island in the King Kong remake. Turning over stones in Hades, the only place where centipedes eat dinosaurs, etc.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Still codifying that one, but expect loads of dire and fiendish animals, plus dinosaurs and giant bugs, of course. Nature is savage and overgrown, especially in Maratongo and Techtotec.

Also, a few planar creatures will have slipped through the net and found a niche on Malmundus, like the Abyssal Maw or the Nashrou.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ah alright then, fair enough. I will probably go Tengu something, possibly Warlock.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So I was contemplating coming up with a Deep One character as a 2nd submission and had a few random ideas for their mutation feats.

Coral Heritage:
    Prerequisite: Deep one, 1st level, no other Mutation feat
    Benefit: A deep one with this feat gains a single natural slam attack at 1d6(bludgeoning). It also gains a +2 natural armor class due to it's thick coral shell.

Jellyfish Heritage:
    Benefit: A deep one with this feat gains a single natural tentacle attack at 1d4 that has a chance to paralyze it's opponent for one round. It also has the ability to secrete this toxin from it's body and apply it to a weapon as a standard action. This toxin loses it's potency after 3 rounds so it cannot be used to apply to a weapon out of combat.

Ray Heritage:
    Benefit: A deep one with this feat gains a single tail attack(piercing) for 1d6. It also gains the blindsense ability on land with a range of 30ft and 60ft underwater.

Mammalian Heritage:
    Prerequisite: Deep one, 1st level, no other mutation feat
    Benefit: A deep one with this feat gains a single bite attack for 1d6. It also gains the blindsight ability with a range of 30ft on land and 60ft underwater.

Not sure on the balance of these, but there are a lot of possibilities to tailor your character the way you wanted them. I think a squidlike heritage could gain a camouflage like ability, and a sea anemone heritage could gain some sort of lesser damage shield.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Here is the article Mayhem linked in the other thread. Im re posting it here along with the naming scheme we're using for our characters in case you are interested in seeing it.
    We assumed that the names of the castes (Moon, Dawn, Eclipse etc) were the symbols used to represent them.
    My character is named:
    Ossularisk-first name
    tibur-born as
    iothlexi-caste name
    ekess-to
    Tezcacoatl-clan/tribe name

We used iothlexi for the moon caste since it means holy speaker and they are the priests.
    For the eclipse caste we had irthosvirlym which means secret thief as they are the spies.

Though im not sure wht you could use for the rest.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Color names work, too:

Vutha is Eclipse
    Charir is Dusk
    Ulhar is Dawn
    Achuak is Sun
    Ausir is Moon

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ideas for Deep one feats:
    Spoiler
    Show

Fish Heritage:
    Benefit: A deep one with this feat gains +4 with all escape artist checks, and can use Freedom of Movement as an extraordinary ability 1/day. In addition, swim speed is increased to 40 feet, but land speed is decreased to 20 feet

Dolphin Heritage
    Benefit: A deep one with this feat gains a single sonic attack that does 1d4 sonic damage in a 30ft cone. Also gains +1 to reflex saves and initiative.

Why do gravetouched get a charisma bonus. They are not very attractive and originally were not free willed. Maybe an intelligence bonus instead?

Cogs may be underpowered, maybe if you gave them stability to reflect the fact that they are made of more sturdy and heavy material than most beings.

That's really all I have. I love how in-depth and well thought-out this is. I would love to use this setting if I found an experienced group instead of my current lovely group (god bless their clueless minds).
    I have returned, and plan on focusing on world-building. Issues are being dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Thread won! I don't think I have the authority to do that but whatever

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Omeganaut View Post
    Why do gravetouched get a charisma bonus. They are not very attractive and originally were not free willed. Maybe an intelligence bonus instead?

Cogs may be underpowered, maybe if you gave them stability to reflect the fact that they are made of more sturdy and heavy material than most beings.
    1. This was kind of a legacy choice due to undead having bonuses to charisma (mainly to offset their lack of constitution), though I would disagree with your assessment that gravetouched are unattractive - vampires are undead, and yet are typically portrayed as urbane, pleasant to look at, and quite charming. Tangentially, I also don't believe in "charisma = attractiveness" - charisma, to me, represents magnetism, self-possession, and confidence. In that sense, a charisma bonus makes perfect sense to me. I'm not sure where you get that they were not originally free-willed (have I implied this somewhere in the document? If so, let me know and I will alter it). Gravetouched societies are actually quite liberal - the vampire barons and lich lords are usually unseen presences, present more as a constant subtle threat than anything else.

2. I gave stability to jotun already as they are descended from a duergar-frost dwarf mix, but I'll consider giving it to cogs as well - it makes a certain amount of sense.
    Last edited by Gnorman; 2011-04-24 at 11:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

I got the not free-willed with the idea that their homelands are ruled by a lich, but now that I look at it again, it is just ruled and not really controlled. I understand now.
    I have returned, and plan on focusing on world-building. Issues are being dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Thread won! I don't think I have the authority to do that but whatever

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

This thread must LIVE! This is a great campaign setting. Anything I can do to help it flourish?
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh. I'm playtesting a campaign right now, will update this thread as things crystallize.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Okay, I know I'm a new voice here, but I read through this and I have a problem. This may not be relavent to everday play, and indeed may need to be omitted so that players don't think about it too much, but why would these dieties which were originally aspects of demons have any alignment other than Chaotic Evil? Are the good and lawful gods just pretending to have these alignments to gain infuence? If not, what could possibly cause a DEMON PRINCE to change alignments? Obviously this doesn't really matter to the common people, or even to the priests, but it might be relavent to a DM designing campaigns. And on that line, do the aspects even care about the game anymore or are they completely isolated from their progenitors motives? Also, a bit about the afterlife/underworld/after-death experiences of this world would be nice to see.

(I love the idea by the way, a demon created world and revitalizing some of the races of DND that don't get enough love, its great)

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Just to let you know, I'll be playtesting a version of Elf, Gnome, and Human based on these races' templates, as well as a Jotun in the very near future.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zok72 View Post
    Okay, I know I'm a new voice here, but I read through this and I have a problem. This may not be relavent to everday play, and indeed may need to be omitted so that players don't think about it too much, but why would these dieties which were originally aspects of demons have any alignment other than Chaotic Evil? Are the good and lawful gods just pretending to have these alignments to gain infuence? If not, what could possibly cause a DEMON PRINCE to change alignments? Obviously this doesn't really matter to the common people, or even to the priests, but it might be relavent to a DM designing campaigns. And on that line, do the aspects even care about the game anymore or are they completely isolated from their progenitors motives? Also, a bit about the afterlife/underworld/after-death experiences of this world would be nice to see.
    This is definitely one of the aspects of the setting I need to work on. I do, however, like letting people come to their own conclusions about the nature of the gods, and I'm purposefully leaving it a bit mysterious. Is Albia truly good, or a demon in disguise who's pretending to be good to gain power and worshippers? That's a question that could be the arc of a campaign - why set it in stone? I also do maintain that while incredibly rare, powerful beings of evil can change alignment - after all, if angels can fall, why can't demons rise?

The aspects would be completely isolated at this point, so any game-playing they're still doing is purely for their own motivations.

Why yes, I do enjoy Eberron-style inscrutability in my deities.
    Last edited by Gnorman; 2011-05-16 at 02:52 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

LEGACY ARCHIVE:

Races
    Changeling
    Spoiler
    Show

"My children shall ooze their way into every aspect of society, adapting and spawning."
    - Juiblex, the Faceless Lord

• +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength - Changelings are quick and adept at integrating into society, but their amorphous form leaves them spongy and weak.
    • Medium Size.
    • A changeling's base land speed is 30'.
    • Humanoid Type (Shapechanger subtype).
    • Slight Build: The physical stature of changelings lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a changeling is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Stealth), it is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous. A changeling is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A changeling can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a changeling remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
    • Changeling Mutability: changelings have the supernatural ability to alter their appearance as a full-round action as if using a Disguise Self spell that affects their bodies but not their possessions. This ability is not an illusory effect, but a minor physical alteration of a changeling's facial features, skin color or texture, and size, within the limits given for the spell. A changeling can use this ability at will, and it lasts until the shape is changed again. A changeling reverts to its natural form when killed. True Seeing reveals its true form. When using this to create a disguise, a changeling receives a +10 circumstance bonus on the check. At 4 HD, a changeling's shape change ability now allows it to choose a Small form, and it may choose to resemble humanoid or monstrous humanoid forms. At 8 HD, a changeling is immune to any effects that would penetrate its cover or discern its true identity - this includes any attempt to read its mind or discern its lies, as well as true seeing and scrying. All attempts to do so give off information as if the changeling really is whom (or what) it is pretending to be. It may also choose a Large size when changing shape. At 12 HD, a changeling may shift into almost any person it desires - its shape change ability now allows it to select humanoid, monstrous humanoid, fey, or giant forms between Tiny and Huge size. It gains any and all physical qualities of the new form while doing so, as per the spell Alter Self.
    • +2 racial bonus to Sleight of Hand and Disguise checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Imperial Trade. Bonus Languages: Any except Mycon.
    • Favored Class: Bard and beguiler.

Cog
    Spoiler
    Show

"Children? What children? Oh, these old things? They aren't children, my friend. They are weapons."
    - Dimitroff Stetkovno, creator of the cogs.

• +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom - Cogs are well-constructed and highly-logical, but being constructed for servitude has left them used to taking orders and not exercising their own wills.
    • Medium size
    • A cog's base land speed is 30'.
    • Construct type (Living Construct subtype)
    • Cog Plating: a cog possesses armor plating that gives it an effective armor bonus of +2, while also giving it an arcane spell failure of 5%. This occupies the body slot and cannot be removed.
    • Cog Durability: A cog possesses damage reduction of 2/- and has a 25% chance to negate the extra damage from a critical hit or a sneak attack, as Light Fortification. At 4 HD, a cog's familiarity with its armor plating reduces its penalties - its armor bonus increases by 2, the armor check penalty (if any) is reduced by 2, and any arcane spell failure is reduced by 10%. Its fortification increases to 50%. At 8 HD, a cog's damage reduction increases to 5/- and it has 75% fortification. At 12 HD, a cog's plating is perfectly integrated - they receive no armor check penalty with it, no land speed penalties, experience no arcane spell failure, and the armor bonus increases by an additional +3 (to a total of +5). A cog's fortification increases to 100% - making him immune to sneak attacks or critical hits.
    • A cog possesses a natural slam attack at 1d4.
    • +2 racial bonus to Craft (smithy) and Knowledge (arcana) checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Varoshkan. Bonus Languages: Zheph, Low Avariani, Shendon, and Imperial Trade.
    • Favored Class: Crusader and warmage.

New Cog Feat
    Abyssal Bloodiron Plating:
    Prerequisite: Cog, 1st level only
    Benefit: The cog's armor bonus increases to +7. However, its base land speed is reduced to 20 feet, and it is considered to be wearing heavy armor. It has a +2 maximum Dexterity bonus to AC, a -4 armor check penalty, and an arcane spell failure chance of 30%. The cog's slam attack increases to 1d8, and it gains a +4 bonus to confirm a critical hit with it.

Deep One
    Spoiler
    Show

"My children shall claim the vast reaches of the seas and worship me as a god."
    - Dagon, the Prince of the Depths

• +2 Wisdom, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma - Deep ones are full of eldritch lore and highly value study and scholarship, but they prefer solitude and quiet to social interaction.
    • Medium Size.
    • A deep one's base land speed is 30'.
    • Deep ones possess a 30' swim speed.
    • Humanoid Type (Aquatic subtype).
    • Darkvision 60'
    • Amphibious: Though deep ones are aquatic, they can survive indefinitely on land.
    • Deep ones gain a single mutation feat as a bonus feat at 1st level.
    • Naturally psionic: deep ones gain one bonus power point per level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
    • Deep One Lore: deep ones may use a specialized version of bardic lore, adding their intelligence modifier and level to the check. At 4 HD, when a deep one rolls a one on a knowledge check, they automatically get a free reroll and keep the second roll's results. At 8 HD, when a deep one identifies a foe using a knowledge skill, it receives a bonus of one-tenth of the total check as a bonus to overcome any spell or power resistance that the creature possesses. At 12 HD, when a deep one identifies a foe using a knowledge skill, any ally within 30' may ignore an amount of damage reduction said foe possesses equal to one-quarter of the deep one's total check.
    • A deep one has a +8 racial bonus on any Athletics check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard while swimming. It can always choose to take 10 on an swim-based Athletics check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
    • +2 racial bonus to Knowledge (psionics) and Psicraft checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Deep Tongue.
    • Bonus Languages: Ssarasan, Orochii, Toctectli and Imperial Trade.
    • Favored Class: Psion and monk.

Mutation Feats:

Mollusk Heritage:
    Benefit: a deep one with this feat gains a single natural tentacle attack at 1d6. It may also spit ink at a foe as a standard action. The deep one makes a ranged touch attack - if it hits, the foe is blinded for one round with no save.

Crustacean Heritage:
    Benefit: A deep one with this feat gains a single natural claw attack at 1d6. The deep one also receives a +4 bonus on grapple checks, and does not provoke an attack of opportunity when initiating a grapple.

Eel Heritage:
    Benefit: A deep one with this feat may use Shocking Grasp as a spell-like ability at will. Three times per day, it may treat the result of any Acrobatics check regarding escape attempts as a natural twenty. This must be declared before a roll is made.

Shark Heritage:
    Benefit: A deep one with this feat gains a single natural bite attack at 1d6, and its swim speed increases to 40'. The deep one also receives a specialized version of scent out to 60', that only functions underwater.

Something Else Heritage:
    Prerequisite: ???
    Benefit: Profit.

Fiendkin
    Spoiler
    Show

"My children will be like their father - seductive, sly, and salacious, spreading their seed across the face of the world."
    - Graz'zt, the Dark Prince

• +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma, -2 Wisdom - Fiendkin are quick of mind and quite smooth, but tend to be brash and short-sighted.
    • Medium Size.
    • A fiendkin's base land speed is 30'.
    • Humanoid Type (Human subtype).
    • Resistance to fire 5
    • Once per day, a fiendkin may reroll the result of a Bluff check. This must be done before the result is announced.
    • Fiendkin Ancestry: A fiendkin has a +2 bonus to all Charisma-based checks when dealing with elementals or evil outsiders, and casts all (summoning) spells at +1 caster level. At 4 HD, a fiendkin may summon an evil outsider or elemental with HD equal to or less than one-half its level once per day. The outsider follows the fiendkin's commands faithfully and remains for up to five minutes or until killed. This is a (Su) ability with a caster level of the fiendkin's HD and an effective spell level of two. At 8 HD, a fiendkin becomes immune to fire. At 12 HD, a fiendkin may summon an evil outsider or elemental with HD equal to or less than its level once per day. The outsider follows the fiendkin's commands faithfully and remains for up to one hour or until killed. This is a (Su) ability with a caster level of the fiendkin's HD and an effective spell level of six.
    • +2 racial bonus to Bluff and Spellcraft checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Imperial Trade.
    • Bonus Languages: Ssarasan, Maratongan, Zheph, Low Avariani, Varoshkan, Old Imperial, and Shendon.
    • Favored Classes: Factotum and wizard.

Gnoll
    Spoiler
    Show

"My children shall devour the other races of the world and gnaw their bones while I exult in my bloody victory."
    - Yeenoghu, Prince of Gnolls

• +2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence - As consummate hunters, gnoll are possessed of savage endurance and agility but they rely on natural cunning rather than logical thought.
    • Medium size.
    • A gnoll's base land speed is 40'.
    • Humanoid Type
    • Lowlight vision.
    • Scent 30'
    • Gnoll Ferocity: a gnoll has two natural claw attacks that do 1d6 damage each, and one natural bite attack that does 1d8 damage. At 4 HD, a gnoll's land speed increases by 10 ft. At 8 HD, a gnoll can Pounce, making a full attack at the end of a charge. At 12 HD, a gnoll's claw damage increases to 2d6, its bite damage increases to 2d8, and it can make rend attacks with its two hind claws if both foreclaws connect.
    • +2 racial bonus to Perception and Athletics checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Gnollish.
    • Bonus Languages: Zheph, Totectli, and Imperial Trade.
    • Favored Class: Totemist and barbarian.

Gravetouched
    Spoiler
    Show

"My children will never truly die, for they were never truly alive to begin with. When all else are corpses, my living dead will soldier on."
    - Orcus, Prince of the Undead

• +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity - Though their forms have been imbued with undead vigor and determination, their limbs are often stiff and slow to react.
    • Medium Size.
    • A gravetouched's base land speed is 30'.
    • Humanoid Type.
    • Gravetouched may rebuke undead as a cleric of half their level 3/day. They may command a number of undead equal to half their hit dice, but only for one minute per level.
    • Gravetouched Anatomy: Gravetouched are immune to negative energy, disease, nausea, and the sickened condition. At 4 HD, gravetouched become immune to poison, paralysis, nonlethal damage, fatigue, and exhaustion effects. At 8 HD, gravetouched may add half of their total Heal modifier to any melee damage rolls, and negative energy now heals them. At 12 HD, gravetouched become immune to stunning, energy drain, ability drain, and death effects. They also no longer take any penalties for aging.
    • +2 racial bonus to Knowledge (religion) and Heal checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Islander.
    • Bonus Languages: Maratongan, Totectli, and Imperial Trade.
    • Favored Class: Dread necromancer and cleric.

Gremlin
    Spoiler
    Show

"My children shall endeavor to manipulate and deceive, pitting empire against empire until only they remain."
    - Fraz-Urb'luu, Prince of Deception

• +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength – gremlins are brilliant and have exceptional fine manipulation skills, but their small, portly frames rarely carry much muscle.
    • Small: As a Small creature, a gremlin gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
    • 20' movement.
    • Humanoid type (Goblinoid subtype).
    • +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions and enchantments.
    • Gremlin Subtlety: A gremlin can cast Charm Person as an SLA 3/day. At 4 HD, a gremlin may move at full speed while hiding without taking the normal -5 penalty to the check. At 8 HD, a gremlin can cast Charm Monster as an SLA 3/day. At 12 HD, a gremlin can use the Stealth skill even while being observed, as long as there is some kind of shadow other than their own within 10 feet.
    • +2 racial bonus on Mechanics and Stealth checks.
    • All gremlins may treat firearms as martial weapons rather than exotic.
    • Automatic Languages: Varoshkan and Gremlin. Bonus Languages: Jotun, Shendon, Low Avariani, and Imperial Trade.
    • Favored Class: Artificer and rogue.

Highborn
    Spoiler
    Show

"My children will be so beautiful that the world cannot help but bow to their will."
    - Malcanthet, the Queen of the Succubi

• +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution - Highborn are master negotiators and strong-willed, but they are delicate, fragile creatures.
    • Medium Size
    • 30' movement.
    • Humanoid Type (Human subtype).
    • Highborn cast spells from the enchantment school at +1 caster level. They also receive a +1 bonus to the save DC of any enchantment spell they cast.
    • Highborn Grace: A highborn may always take ten on a diplomacy check, even if rushed or threatened. At 4 HD, a highborn may make a rushed diplomacy check without the -10 penalty. At 8 HD, a highborn adds half its Charisma modifier as a deflection bonus to its AC. At 12 HD, a highborn cannot be attacked in melee unless the opponent successfully makes a Will save, with the DC being the highborn's HD plus half its Charisma modifier. Mindless creatures and creatures without visual senses are immune to this effect.
    • +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Knowledge (culture) checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Low and High Avariani. Bonus Languages: Imperial Trade, Varoshkan, and Jotun.
    • Favored Classes: Favored soul and sorcerer.

Jotun
    Spoiler
    Show

"My children will carve the glaciers themselves and outlast the dying of the world's sun."
    - Kostchtchie, the Prince of Wrath

• +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity – Jotun are almost supernaturally strong and possessed of undeniable tenacity, but the gelid blood running through their veins has the unfortunate side effect of slowing their reflexes.
    • Medium size
    • 30' movement.
    • Humanoid type.
    • Stability: Jotun are exceptionally stable on their feet. A jotun has a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing firmly on the ground.
    • Resistance to cold 5.
    • Jotun Strength: The physical stature of jotun lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a jotun is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check, the jotun is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A jotun is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size can affect him. A jotun can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category. At 4 HD, a jotun gains immunity to cold. At 8 HD, a jotun gains the reach of a creature one size larger than he actually is. At 12 HD, a jotun does not die in combat when he reaches -10 HP. He may take actions as normal, and does not take further damage for performing strenuous actions. When combat ends, if his HP total remains at or below -10, he immediately dies.
    • +2 racial bonus to Athletics and Profession (sailor) checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Common and Giant. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Sylvan, and Terran.
    • Favored Class: Warblade and ranger.

Lizardfolk
    Spoiler
    Show

"My children shall take on the mantle of the world's most powerful beasts and monsters, thrilling in the power of dragons and behemoths."
    - Demogorgon, the Prince of Demons

• +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, -2 Intelligence - Lizardfolk possess a fraction of the legendary power and presence of dragons, but they rarely put much stock in education or higher reasoning.
    • Medium Size.
    • A lizardfolk's base land speed is 30'.
    • Humanoid Type (Reptilian subtype).
    • Low-light vision.
    • A lizardfolk's scales give it a +3 natural armor bonus.
    • Lizardfolk possess a natural bite attack at 1d6.
    • Lizardfolk Affinity: a lizardfolk receives a +2 bonus to all skill checks dealing with dragons and dragonkin. They are considered to be dragonblooded for the purposes of qualifying for feats and prestige classes. They also choose one element from acid (Sun), fire (Dawn), cold (Moon), negative energy (Eclipse), or lightning (Dusk), and gains resistance 5 to that element. At 4 HD, a lizardfolk gains the ability to breathe a 30' cone of its chosen element 3/day for 2d10 damage plus 1d10 for each 2 HD it has over 4, to a maximum of 6d10 damage at level 12. The DC for half-damage is Reflex-based, and equal to 10 plus the lizardfolk's level and Con modifier. At 8 HD, a lizardfolk gains spell resistance equal to 10 + its HD, as well as immunity to its chosen element. At 12 HD, a lizardfolk's breath weapon may be now used at will (albeit with a cooldown of 1d4 rounds). Its natural armor bonus increases to +6, and it grows a pair of draconic wings that allow it to fly at a speed of 40' (average).
    • +2 racial bonus to Handle Animal and Ride checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Totectli. Bonus Languages: Islander, Imperial Trade, and Maratongan.
    • Favored Class: Dragon shaman and sorcerer.

Mantid
    Spoiler
    Show

"My children shall band together in great hive-cities, hunting down and spearing those soft sacks of pathetic flesh known as the other races."
    - Obox-Ob, the Prince of Vermin

• +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma - Though they are unparalleled hunters, both powerful and rapid, their mindsets are so alien that they have trouble relating to other humanoids.
    • Medium Size.
    • A mantid's base land speed is 30'.
    • A mantid possesses a climb speed of 20'.
    • Monstrous Humanoid Type.
    • A mantid's chitin gives it +3 natural armor.
    • Mantids do not sleep and as such are immune to all sleep effects.
    • Naturally psionic: mantids possess one bonus power point. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
    • Though a mantid possesses four arms, the lower arms require time and training to use in combat. At first, those arms may only use light weapons, and they may not add a mantid's strength modifier to damage rolls.
    • A mantid's antennae give it blindsense out to 15'.
    • Mantid Deftness: a mantid gains Multiweapon Fighting as a bonus feat, even if he does not qualify. At 4 HD, a mantid's secondary arms are developed enough to use fully - they may now use any one-handed weapon the mantid could normally use and may add the mantid's strength modifier to damage rolls as normal. At 8 HD, a mantid gains blindsight out to 30'. At 12 HD, a mantid takes no penalties associated with multiweapon-fighting when attacking with multiple arms - they may attack with their off-hands at no penalty, and are not penalized for using heavier-than-light weapons.
    • +2 racial bonus to Survival and Athletics checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Kliktik. Bonus Languages: Zheph, Shendonese, and Imperial Trade.
    • Favored Class: Scout and psychic warrior.

Minotaur
    Spoiler
    Show

"My children will batter the world into submission with their bare fists and bestial fervor, hunting the civilized ones like base animals."
    - Baphomet, the Prince of Beasts

• +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma - minotaurs are powerful and possess keen senses, but their tendency towards solitude and the nomadic life prevents them from developing socially.
    • Medium size
    • A minotaur's base land speed is 30'.
    • Humanoid type.
    • Lowlight vision.
    • Minotaurs possess one natural gore attack at 1d8, which increases to 2d8 on a charge.
    • Natural Cunning: A minotaur has an innate immunity to maze spells, cannot become lost, and can track enemies.
    • Minotaur Resilience: minotaurs receive a +2 bonus on saving throws against poison, disease, spells and spell-like abilities. At 4 HD, a minotaur can no longer be caught flat-footed or flanked. At 8 HD, a minotaur's saving throw bonuses against poison, disease, spells, and spell-like abilities increase to +4. At 12 HD, minotaurs can no longer be surprised - they may always act in the surprise round, if any. They may also ignore any concealment or miss chance when attacking a foe.
    • +2 racial bonus on Perception and Knowledge (nature) checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Minosian. Bonus Languages: Islander, Maratongan, and Jotun.
    • Favored Class: Barbarian and spirit shaman.

Myconid
    Spoiler
    Show

"My children shall fill the warm dark spaces of the world, feeding on rot and decay until there is none left to consume."
    - Zuggtmoy, Lady of Fungi

• +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Dexterity - Myconids are resilient and devoted, but their unique composition leaves them ponderous and slow.
    • Medium size
    • A myconid's base land speed is 20', but myconids can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.
    • A myconid possesses a burrow speed of 10'.
    • Humanoid type.
    • Darkvision 60'
    • Resistance to acid 5
    • A myconid possesses a unique form of Wild Empathy - it may only use it to improve the attitude of plants and fungal creatures. Even unintelligent plants may be influenced in this way. A myconid adds its class level plus its Charisma modifier to the check.
    • Myconid Biology - a myconid is immune to disease, sleep and paralysis. It also possesses fast healing 1. At 4 HD, a myconid may use a special version of Mirror Image as a spell-like ability 3/day. The duplicates created by this SLA are not illusionary, but otherwise function as the spell dictates. Its fast healing increases to 2. At 8 HD, a myconid becomes immune to stunning, acid, and poison. Its fast healing increases to 3. At 12 HD, a myconid can use Fission as a psi-like ability 1/day, with an effective manifester level of 12. Its fast healing increases to 4.
    • +2 racial bonus to Knowledge (dungeoneering) and Sense Motive checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Mycon. Bonus Languages: Imperial Trade, Varoshkan, and Shendonese.
    • Favored Class: Incarnate and druid.

Orochi
    Spoiler
    Show

"My children will tap into the power of the intangible mind and give birth to a new world of nightmares."
    - Pale Night, Mother of Demons.

• +2 Wisdom, +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength - Though they are strong of will and possess serpentine grace, an orochi's body is built for lithe movement rather than brute force.
    • Medium size
    • An orochi's base land speed is 30'.
    • Humanoid type
    • Naturally psionic: an orochi receives three bonus power points. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
    • Orochi possess a natural paralytic poison that they may use to envenom their weapons. Treat this poison as giant wasp venom, except that the DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 the orochi's HD + Constitution modifier. It is a full-round action to extract and apply a dose of this poison.
    • Orochi Mentalism: Orochi receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting spells and abilities. At 4 HD, they become immune to charm, compulsion, and possession. At 8 HD, they gain telepathy out to 30' and may manifest Read Thoughts as a psi-like ability at will. At 12 HD, they act as if under a permanent Mind Blank, though they may choose to allow beneficial effects to affect them normally.
    • +2 racial bonus to Stealth and Acrobatics checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Orochii and Ssarasan. Bonus Languages: Shendonese, Imperial Trade, Teng, and Zheph.
    • Favored Class: Ardent and swordsage.

Tengu
    Spoiler
    Show

"My children shall soar above the pitiful land-bound races, swooping down upon them and instilling in them a crippling fear of the sky's supreme predators."
    - Pazuzu, Prince of the Lower Aerial Kingdoms

• +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution - Though tengu have excellent reflexes and supreme confidence, their hollow bones leave them somewhat less sturdy than other races.
    • Medium size
    • A tengu's base land speed is 30'.
    • Humanoid type
    • Resistance to lightning 5
    • Tengu may use Intimidate to demoralize a foe as a swift action once per encounter.
    • Tengu Flight: a tengu has a vestigial pair of wings that aid in movement, giving him a +10 racial bonus to jump checks. At 4 HD, it may use them to glide. It may move forward 20' for every 10' of vertical distance traveled, and it is no longer subject to falling damage. It may also fly at a speed of 20' (average) for a number of rounds per day equal to its level plus its Constitution modifier. These rounds need not be consecutive. At 8 HD, a tengu may use its developing wings as it pleases, giving it a fly speed of 40' (good). It may not fly while carrying a medium or heavier load. It also becomes immune to lightning. At 12 HD, a tengu's fly speed increases to 60' (perfect), and it may fly with any load that does not exceed its total encumbrance.
    • +2 racial bonus to Acrobatics and Intimidate checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Teng. Bonus Languages: Shendonese, Ssarasan, and Imperial Trade.
    • Favored Class: Warlock and warblade.
    Last edited by Gnorman; 2013-02-23 at 11:56 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Atlas is a bit tough so feel free to tame him down a bit if needbe. I have to say of all the characters I've built on these forums, I think I spent the most time on his background and overall fluff. I really got into his character.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Really good setting, I like.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks!

Don't suppose there would be any interest in scaling this setting down to an E6 format? I've been looking for a way to mesh it up with my other project for a while now.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    Thanks!

Don't suppose there would be any interest in scaling this setting down to an E6 format? I've been looking for a way to mesh it up with my other project for a while now.
    Compendium E6 or non-compendium comparable E6?

Also, scaling it down precludes attaching mechanics to more things; as it is, all you'd be doing is tweaking the starting races to work with E6 better; everything else is literally fluff that can work with any level range.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2013-02-11 at 08:12 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Compendium E6 or non-compendium comparable E6?

Also, scaling it down precludes attaching mechanics to more things; as it is, all you'd be doing is tweaking the starting races to work with E6 better; everything else is literally fluff that can work with any level range.
    Probably Compendium E6. I suppose all it would really require is removing/scaling down some of the racial abilities.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

I would love to see an E6 Version of this. I was actually going to try and run a Malamundus Campaign on the forum and would like to try it using E6 as well. So I vote yes!
    Last edited by afrenchpenguin; 2013-03-25 at 07:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Character Game Class
    Leonardo Del Piero Long Term Game Bard
    Mathitis Desmevoun The Darkwater Operation Soul Disciple
    Vaelann Grishnįkh Tealpeck's Flood Heroic Fighter // Totemist
    God The Prophets Dungeon Master

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

I might actually begin work in earnest on revising this down to an E6 framework, as well as mess significantly with the geography, history, and races.

I have been toying with compressing the races, because there's honestly just a lot of them. I know there's plenty more in other worlds, but that doesn't mean it couldn't benefit from a little streamlining.

So here's the question I'd like to pose: if you had to pick just three races to keep around out of the available ones, which three would you pick? And, as a subquestion, which one race would you like to see developed further, or altered? I might do some more in-depth write-ups to get myself back into the world, and a popularity contest seems as good a place to start as any.

Just as a start, here's my list:

Question #1

1. Fiendkin - they're basically the "humans" of the setting, so I think I need to keep them around.
    2. Lizardfolk - they could really use some love and a new take, as "ripped them off of Warhammer" isn't a great one to begin with.
    3. Gnoll - really just a perfect fit for a demonic setting, though I think there's room to expand their role away from the "brutal savage" archetype

Question #2

Minotaur - I want to overhaul this race significantly, because nature-loving cow people has already been done. I'd like to draw on some other aspects of Baphomet, including his penchant for science, and try something new - smart minotaurs. Craftspeople, smiths, engineers, architects, et cetera. But often used as a slave race despite their intelligence, due to their strength and size.

28. - Top - End - #88

Well, in addition to the default humanesque race, my favourite 3 are:
    1. Myconid
    2. Cog
    3. Deep ones

I do believe that the gravetouched could use bit of a touch-up, and perhaps make a noticeable difference between the cogs and warforged in fluff.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

I knew I could count on you to champion the myconids.

Part of me wants to axe the Cogs in the setting revamp - don't really fit.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    So here's the question I'd like to pose: if you had to pick just three races to keep around out of the available ones, which three would you pick?
    Lizardfolk, Myconids, and Jotun.

And, as a subquestion, which one race would you like to see developed further, or altered? I might do some more in-depth write-ups to get myself back into the world, and a popularity contest seems as good a place to start as any.
    Orochi. I think it's a well implemented race, but psionic/mentalist snake people have been done, and more importantly, I'm not sure how well they fit in as creations of Pale Night.

2. Lizardfolk - they could really use some love and a new take, as "ripped them off of Warhammer" isn't a great one to begin with.
    As a long time player of a Warhammer Lizardmen army, I can see the similarities, but I certainly don't get the impression that you 'ripped them off of Warhammer' so you've done a good job. That said, I'm a big fan of lizardfolk in any shape or form, so I'm never opposed to seeing them get some love or a new take.

Minotaur - I want to overhaul this race significantly, because nature-loving cow people has already been done. I'd like to draw on some other aspects of Baphomet, including his penchant for science, and try something new - smart minotaurs. Craftspeople, smiths, engineers, architects, et cetera. But often used as a slave race despite their intelligence, due to their strength and size.
    I like this idea. It gives me images of slave minotaurs either subtly improving or sabotaging whatever project they're being forced to work on.