New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXIX: There is no Pegasus Mafia!

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Personally, I think they should give at least one pegasus (apart from Pound Cake) at least one relative before they go on tacking more onto the other-race characters.

Seriously. Apart from him a random pair of background pegasi in Sisterhooves Social, there is no actual indication I can find that any pegasus is related to any other pony. Whereas we've got oodles of Apples, Rarity's sister and parents, Twilight's (implied) parents and now brother, Pinkie's parents and sisters... and not a letter, phoneme, or pixel for Rainbow Dash or Fluttershy.
    Edit-label: Pegasus pony parents.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...Perhaps they were done in by the Pegasus Mafia?
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-03-07 at 08:00 PM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Personally, I think they should give at least one pegasus (apart from Pound Cake) at least one relative before they go on tacking more onto the other-race characters.

Seriously. Apart from him a random pair of background pegasi in Sisterhooves Social, there is no actual indication I can find that any pegasus is related to any other pony. Whereas we've got oodles of Apples, Rarity's sister and parents, Twilight's (implied) parents and now brother, Pinkie's parents and sisters... and not a letter, phoneme, or pixel for Rainbow Dash or Fluttershy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not to mention Scootaloo.

I still say that all children in Cloudsdale are taken from their parents at birth and raised in a communal creche.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Question in response to this. Let's assume that until they got around to making this season finale, the writers never thought about Twilight having a sibling at all. Are you of the opinion that the writers should be prohibited from having a new character be Twilight's sibling because they had not thought about it previously?
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, they shouldn't be. However, said sibling cannot appear spontaneously, as unlike a mother and father, the existence of an older sibling isn't guaranteed and cannot be just assumed. Therefore, if the sibling needs to appear, the episode must make sure to introduce him properly, and the backstory of the sibling must be plausible enough to have him be completely absent from the character's daily life and dialogue up to this point.

I.e. "This is my brother I never told you about" is wrong, "Oh my gosh, can it really be my brother, I've never seen him since he left to live abroad when I was little" would be closer to acceptable.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Question in response to this. Let's assume that until they got around to making this season finale, the writers never thought about Twilight having a sibling at all. Are you of the opinion that the writers should be prohibited from having a new character be Twilight's sibling because they had not thought about it previously?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think the writers should put in a plot-important character as a sibling in the season finale. That just feels like a complete flank-pull.

Twilight might not have said anything about it, because she doesn't want to seem so high-and-mighty, but no foreshadowing at all?

As for pony-izing myself, here's the best three out of a half-dozen or so attempts today:

Spoiler
    Show
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    im inclined to think RD is either and only child or an eldest.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

6. - Top - End - #276

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, there probably up in the clouds, and it would probably be hard for them to actualy go on a trip when they would have a nice, ground-free lifestyle. Heck, seeing just how competive Cloudsdale was (bullies never realy got punished on screen, arses mocked flutters, ect), they are presumably raised to be rather indipendent. Fluttershy, presumably, has little reason to go back to the place that made her childhood a wreak, and Dash presumably is having to much fun with her job and her friends for a visit to cross her mind. You dont see much of there parents because, presumably, they are controling the weather elsewhere, or they have other jobs to deal with. Like, say, makeing liquid rainbows or churning up big clouds in isolated areas.

Scootalo may simply have a mother who works the night-weather shift somewhere, and the reason she has so much free time is because her father works in Cloudsdale. I know that this is entirely feasible, because I have a parent who comes home around 3am-ish and leaves for work at around six. Hence, plenty of time for a filly to goof off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Hey guys. Remember when we used to label our spoilers so that people knew what was inside them? Good times... Good times...

And so that I'm not being completely negative, random, non-spoilery pics:
    Spoiler
    Show

Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

Just going to chime in on dead conversations here, don't mind me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Semi-new Ep, Mostly Season 2
    Spoiler
    Show

So I think I found out why Season 2 is really so different.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    This just gets better when you remember that Twilight was discorded too and reverted herself using those same letters, and three weeks later? Lesson zero!

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Well one Megapost by SiuS and 4 pages later and I've caught up. Seriously thanks SiuS. Those megaposts can be a godsend if you've fallen behind and don't want to skip everything.

Wow I'm talkative today. Must be my Birthday or something.
    Are you people stealthing your birthdays to challenge my attentiveness?

Let's see if the drill has been established by now...

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    man, I am in a funk today....

TRANSHUMANISM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    TRANSHUMANISM
    I'm surprised to see that I'm the only one here interested in hyperosmia.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Oh, Thanqol, Thanqol, Thanqol, you know not what you do...

I just want everypony to know, Thanqol asked for this.

Brace yourselves...

(Oh and Lix, those configurations I missed out due to the character limit are below, so even you have something new to read...)

Spoiler
    Show

For size, the Resistor is almost exactly the same size as a modern German Leopard 2 MBT.

--- Taken from “A Spacer’s Guide to the Galaxy”, by Rear Admiral William Sandsborough (Ret) ---

The Cybertanks are perhaps the most infamous and ubiquitous of all our enemies among the stars. They are persistent, vicious and utterly committed to the destruction of everyone aside from their own kind. We have been fighting them for almost as long as mankind has been among the stars, and others for still longer.

Yet how much do we really know about our intractable metallic foes? The answer is, surprisingly, very little.

We know their technology and their tactics, certainly. But beyond that, everything is shrouded in mystery. Much of what we think we know is purely speculation or based on misconception.

So, what do we know?

The Cybertank’s homeworld is Metalyka, in the system of the same name; indeed, to the Cybertanks, they are synonymous. Even here, errors creep in, as the name is often incorrectly spelt ‘Metallica’ of ‘Metallika’ (even in many official documents); though the pronunciation is the same: “Met-AL-EE-Ka.”

The Metalyka system is arguably the most heavily fortified in known space. The entire system consists of a single G-type star, with four planets and two planetoids.

What it is most noted for, however, is that the entire system is protected by a sphere of weapons platforms. These platforms, an average of eighty thousand kilometres apart, form a veritable dispersed Dyson’s sphere around the Metalyka system. This sphere is about 400 000km thick, and extends an astonishing 6 AU from the system’s sun. The weapons platforms are diverse designs. Most are small missile racks or station particle lazer batteries, but larger installations are not uncommon in the vastness. It is estimated that, from the given measurements, that there are roughly fifteen billion of these weapons platforms. A ship, passing the barrier, could be in range of over two thousand of these platforms at once. Indeed, the overall density of the platforms, combined with their own mass-net fields and displacer screens, actually prevents FTL transit through the net, as it registers as a diffuse nebula to sensors.

The sheer magnitude of the defence screen is staggering. To be maintained, it requires a mind-bogglingly large array of maintenance ships, stations and replication and manufacturing facilities. In fact, simply to maintain this screen, well over 99% of the entire Cybertank infrastructure is dedicated to this task. By comparison, even the most massive fleets that attack the outside galaxy are dwarfed in comparison to the amount of firepower within. It is most frightening to realise, that, if they would merely choose to do so, that infrastructure could be re-dedicated to wiping us out; and there is very little we could do to stop it.

The Neu Swabian League made a serious investigation several years ago into actually invading Metalyka and ending this threat once and for all. Their plan was to force a breech in the perimeter at one of the “entrance points” where the field is least dense. Then, they would hold this gap long enough to send a task force in to do the job. However, they quickly came to the conclusion such an attempt would be futile. Studies indicated that the weapons platforms are capable of moving under their own power to cover any breech made. Further, they made the sobering revelation that the Cybertank’s home defence fleet – which spends it’s time patrolling the inside of the sphere – is greater in number than the total number of starships built between the major Earth powers since the construction of military starships began. By several orders of magnitude.

This explains, perhaps in part, why the Cybertanks are so content to send out fleet after fleet and lose them all. In reality, they are losing a negligible portion of the population’s military power.

We cannot fathom how long it took to develop this inordinately large defence system. To date, it has only been breached on seventeen occasions across the entire of our recorded Cybertank history, and all of those strikes were precision attacks directed at something very close to the border. It is sufficiently dangerous not even the Lazerblasters dare cross it lightly.

So, quite literally, the Cybertanks are a major power, the bulk of which is in their own solar system. But they are not totally consigned to their system; a few outlying systems are under Cybertank control, though they fluctuate as the Incursions come and go .

It is theorised that the Metalyka system once had much more than the six planets than it does now, but the others and any asteroid belts it might once have had were cannibalised to start the defence grid. Even so, the Cybertanks must have developed their current energy-to-matter replication long before it was finished.

Metalyka proper is the third planet in the system, and is approximately one AU from the primary. It is about the same size as a typical M class planet, and has an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere at approximately 1.05g. All of what we know of it comes from long-range scans. As yet, no-one in recorded history as actually landed on the planet, aside from the Cybertanks themselves. The entire land surface is covered by metal. In places where the Cybertanks have or have had habitation, there are cities of metal, or just a metal-panelled surface. Elsewhere, the surface is just smooth metal of varying sorts. The surface is mostly, but not totally, flat, with the occasional mountains range arising smoothly from the surface. The most common sort is a non-corrosive alloy, rendering the planet a pale matt silver.

In some places, there are what appear to be massive forests of tall poles. What purpose – if any – these serve is a mystery. They may be artificial, they may be some strange form of natural metallic growth or something else entirely.

The seas of Metalyka are not one you would wish to swim in. They consist almost entirely of mercury, tainted by its contaminants a darker grey than the land. There is virtually no water vapour in the atmosphere at all (and little to no cloud), making the surface like a desert.

No-one knows why Metalyka is not untenably hot. It is guessed that perhaps the metal surface reflects away a lot of the heat, but it would be by no means all. Some have suggested that the forests of poles are some sort of heat baffle, perhaps cooled by the strong winds caused by the planet’s relatively rapid rotation. (A day on Metalyka lasts only sixteen hours.)

There is no apparent volcanicity on the planet, nor any evidence of it, though what this means, no-one is sure. It does explain the surface, however, as the land, without plate movement, will steadily be sand-blasted by the winds and metal particles blown within it.

There are six huge cityscapes on the surface, large enough to be seen by the naked eye, and many more smaller ones. The largest, tentatively designated as Gamma Seven by the Neu Swabian League, may be the capital.

Perhaps the most perplexing mystery, however, is that of the Cybertank’s origin. Of this we know nothing. The Cybertanks claim to have evolved naturally on Metalyka into their current state and all records we have managed to procure over the years give no other explanation.

Many detractors of this idea point out the numerous flaws in this belief, however. Many pieces of evidence suggest that the Cybertanks are instead an artificial race, created by some hitherto unknown power. Why would a lifeform evolve into something as recognisable as a grav-tank in the first place? And why would a supposedly alien race use English as it’s language?

This last is a particular mystery. In fact, for years, it was assumed that the Cybertanks were simply using a translator into what they thought was the dominant human language. But it was in the end revealed that the reason the Cybertanks always communicated in English was because they were speaking in English. This discovery was significantly delayed by the fact that Cybertank computer technology is run under a different language altogether. The Cybertanks thus have a ‘digital’ language they use when interfacing with their technology as opposed to communicating amongst themselves.

A great deal of evidence – including the structure and nature of Metalyka itself, apparently devoid of other life, supports the artificial constructs theory.

So it is greatly surprising, then, to find that there is evidence that equally contradicts this. The first and foremost is the massive difference between the technology the Cybertanks use and that in their own bodies. The two are as different as that between the technology of two alien races – or the difference between that of human biology and technology.

While their technology is advanced, it is mainly conventional in structure. Their own racial physiology is vastly different. Inside a Cybertank it a complex network of systems, technological, but as intricate in form and structure as the cellular structure of organics. It appears, internally, to be grown, not built. It is totally divergent with that of known technological races. Indeed, the only race with something even close to this kind of physiology are the naturally occurring metallic and techno-organic creatures found on Kethrain, the homeworld of the Shardan.

This Cybertank internal technology is also dissimilar to any other race’s technology, and lacks the signatures of extinct races, like the Sianetic Harbingers.

So, was the life on the planet truly technological in nature, or were the Cybertanks modified at some point? Perhaps they modified themselves and removed all history of it. Many theories for both sides have been put forward, from the sublime to the ridiculous. From the proponents of the belief they are naturally-developed creatures who simply adopted English as a language (perhaps from early transmissions from Earth) to those that suggest the Cybertanks are in fact humans from the far future, who brought a solar system backwards in time, no-one can make a conclusive argument.

Even time-travel is unlikely to be able to help; the entire Metalyka system seems to be contained in a temporally-resistant field, the nature of which is elusive but that makes time travel extraordinarily dangerous. It may be natural, or created by the Cybertanks themselves – or perhaps their creators. Further, all investigation has shown that the system is time-locked and not in an area of mutable time, so even if one could journey safely into the past, it could be just as dangerous to arrive.

And one is not likely to be forthcoming. As the Cybertanks themselves believe utterly in their own natural origin, the only possible answers may lie buried beneath the unreachable metal surface of Metalyka – if they exist at all.

Cybertank Technology is advanced, but generally conventional. They utilise hyperdrive, engine, standard sensor, communication and shielding technology, albeit slightly improved over the standard. They do have energy-to-matter replication, though not to the point they can afford to utterly ignore local resources.

They have significantly better structural technology, as evidenced by the use of some of the manufacturing facilities, and the widely-feared ten-mile long Effluvium class supercruiser.

Weapons technology is primarily based on Particle Lasers, which fire blasts of photonic energy (typically orange) with dense micro-particles suspended within. The effect is somewhere between that of an energy lazer and a particle accelerator weapon. This weaponry is also found in the Cybertanks themselves, and it would appear that the ship-borne weaponry was developed from their internal weapons and not the other way around.

In addition to conventional Particle Laser weapon arrays, at starship level, the Cybertanks can fire highly coherent and mobile beam version, capable of slicing ships apart.

The Cybertanks also make heavy use of Matter-flux Torpedoes, which upon impact, set up a resonating field that puts the electron bonds of matter into a state of flux, with highly destructive results.

They use more conventional anti-matter weapons in their advanced missile technology; though occasionally, matter-flux warheads have been used by missiles in the past.

The Cybertanks have also developed cloaking and footprint magnification to a high level and this has lead to one of their defining technologies, the Displacer Screen. This literally takes all the emissions and readings from the vessel and shunts it to a different spot, usually no more than one or two ship lengths or widths away. The location on the image relative to the ship is constantly in motion, further confused by the ship’s manoeuvring. Because this is a comparatively minor shift, it is just enough to blur sensor technology, making it somewhat harder to hit. Much further distance than that used, and the system would break down.

This results in the strange sight at visual ranges, where a shot will pass right through an apparent ship, or when a shot does land, the blast will strike and stop in empty space and the resultant explosion will happen hundreds of meters away.

Fortunately, the Displacer’s power requirements are sufficiently high that smaller vessel simply cannot power them, though they are surprisingly compact.

Cybertank starship technology is all completely modular. Indeed, the familiar delta-cruisers used by so many races come from the Assimilator class Cybertank cruiser that was adapted by the Herosine Empire (and by several other races independently). This means a Cybertank fleet can, if close to a repair and supply ship like a Colloidal, completely repair and change it’s entire weapon output in a short period of time. Most starships have a base design, which requires more extensive modifications to alter and a weapons load. The weapons load is not solely weapons, but often cloaks, additional armour or shielding or sensors.

Cybertank ships are typically specialised for one job, and poor at others. Most notably, most Cybertank ships have poor point-defence and rely on anti-fighter variants to provide them with protection.

Common Cybertank Configurations
    Spoiler
    Show
    Resistor I Grav Tank

The most common Cybertank configuration encountered, the Resistor I configuration is the archetypal Cybertank. Like all Cybertanks, it is not a vehicle per se, but rather a grav-tank-shaped technological sentient creature. Albeit one that is evil and without any redeeming traits. The Cybertanks do not seek conquest, but the simple extermination of all life that is not themselves; be they organic, technolgical or otherwise. (Or even Undead...) It is possible to reason with a Cybertank, as they are intelligent , for a given value of "reason". The Cybertanks have occasionally allied with other evil forces, but these alliances break down before long, as the Cybertanks simply revert to their natural state, which is to "ELIMINATE ALL ORGANIC LIFEFORMS!" (Sic).

The Cybertanks are, in theory, quite intelligent, and have a certain cunning. They certainly possess entirely understandable emotions, being far from emotionless machines. While they have a certain preference for logic, even that is only a tendancy. What they do seem to lack is any form of empathy or compassion of any kind. They hate though, and hate well, though the second most common emotion seem in them from outsiders is their noted tendancy to panic if things go wrong, and shout a lot.

It should, of course, be noted in passing with their computer minds, energy weapons and advanced targeting systems, the accuracy of the Cybertanks is legendary, in that no other race can miss so badly or so often. It is perhaps unfortunate that the larger targetting computers of their starships actually manage to migitate their own utter incompetance. But on the ground, it is often said - only half in jest - that the safest place to be when a Cybertank is shooting is the spot they are aiming at.

If it were not that their home system is easily the most heavily defended in the known galaxy, they would have been wiped out long ago by the collected efforts of everyone in the galaxy. As it is, given it is estimated that within that veritable Dyson's Sphere of defences, there are more Cybertank ships than have ever been built by all the human powers combined since the invention of space travel, even attempting such and endeavour would be literal suicide. Those maruading fleets that form the Cybertank Incursions are literally nothing more than a drop in the ocean, excess waste. (It has even been suggested that the Incursion are just excess population, embarking on lemming-like attacks on the rest of the galaxy.) Fortunately, the Cybertank's natural paranoia keeps them from exploiting this fact and wiping us all out. As has been said so many times before, they are "tactically clever, strategically dumb." A fact for which we should all be profoundly grateful.

Resistor II Grav Tank

The Resistor II is almost as common a configuration of the Cybertanks as the Resistor I, and both are the iconic configurations whose image is conjured up when the Cybertanks are referred to. Resistor IIs have a smaller particle laser than the Is, but this is supplemented by a mass driver gating. The pyramidal structure at the top emits a smaller particle laser, serving both missile defence and anti-infantry. Two turret smoke dischargers are mounted on the turret, one either side.

Like all Cybertanks, the Resistors share their omnicidal nature and staggering racial arrogance; and mercifully for the rest of us, their utter inability to hit anything, despite their advanced targeting systems and use of energy weapons. Because of their abundance, we know more about the Resistors than any other configuration. Internally, their technological phyisology is as different from that found in their starships and buildings (i.e their constructed technolgy) as ours is from our own, and is highly complex, and seems more "grown" than "built". And the re are further mysteries. For example, the Cybertank's particle laser technology found on board their starships seems derived from their own bodily weapons, but are subtly different in a way that a conventional tank and shipboard weapon are not; i.e. they are not quite simply different sized versions of each other.

This all lends credence to the Cybertank's claim they evolved into these vehicular forms naturally. Despite the extreme improbability of these claims, no-one has yet found any evidence to prove otherwise. The truth - if it still exists - lies buried under the surface of the Cybertank's homeworld of Metalyka, where none but Cybertanks have ever stood.

Capacitor Missile Tank

The Capacitor provides the cybertanks with missile support. They are generally regarded as the most dangerous in their weight class. Armed with a turreted rapid-fire matter-flux rocket launcher, backed with quad heavy missile launcher with eight reloads, the Capacitor can fight both in the front line or from safety, using Dispersions or Eradicators as target designators. They have their own sensors too, allowing A platoon mates to concentrate a deadly salvo of fire. A Point-Defence particle laser array rounds out their weapons.

Unlike many such simiLAr vehicles in the armies of other races, Capacitors are not lightly armoured, but have nearly the same shielding and armour as a Resistor, only being slightly lighter in the side and rear arcs. Despite the limited number of matter-flux missiles, Capacitors replenish their matter-flux rockets at an astonishing rate, meaning it is almost impossible for them to run out.

Cohesion Suppression Tank

The Cohesion configuration is designated as a "Suppression" tank. For the Cybertanks, this qualifies as a dedicated anti-infantry vehicle. As the Cybertanks are simply too big to fit inside buildings (and rarely feel the need to try and capture anything anyway), the Cybertanks solution to the problem of infantry is the most basic - obliterate the place the infantry are standing in.

The Cohesion's primary weapon is a cannon that fires a minaturised matterflux shell. This is capable of inflicting vast amounts of damage to structures, plant-life and any vehicle unfortunate enough to be hit by it.

Interestingly, dead Cohesions have revealed that the design of these shells indicates they have been replicated from the starship technology principles, as opposed to the Cybertank's natural technology. Indeed, old records from early encounters indicate that the shells were a high-explosive weapon, whose design was entirely consist with the internal workings of the Cybertanks.

Dispersion Ultra Light Grav Tank

The Dispersion configuration typically operates in the scouting role, often supplemented by Radicals. The Dispersion configuration is slower and much more durable then the latter. The Dispersions have better sensors, but are lighter armed. They carry only a single light particle laser turret, whcih serves double duty and anti-armour and anti-infantry/anti-aircraft. Their offensive punch comes mainly from the four fixed missile tubes on its flanks. Missile warheads and loads vary, but when the Dispersion is carrying a typical load of missiles, it carries about four reloads for each tube. Like all Cybertanks, the Dispersion does not "reload" a magazine, but literally grows new missiles to replace expended ones as part of it's physiology; again time varies, but can be as little as a few hours.

The four emitters found at the corner of each hull, are like all Cybertanks, proximity-range tractor beam emitters, allowing the Cybertanks to manipulate objects. Their fine control is merely passable (it might be better were it not compounded by Cybertank ineptitude), and their strength, while considerable by human standards, is not in the superhuman range. They might be able to lift a weight such as a typical car, but not throw one. Still, they are capable of tossing around lighter objects (such as squishy hominoids) if they get too close (though their proficiency depends on the individual Cybertank.)

Eradicator Heavy Tank

The Eradictor Heavy Grav Tank is often seen as the command unit for large number of Cybertank ground units. It is far more rarely operating as a unit. Eradicators are cunning and canny leaders, though, like most Cybertanks, they are not averse to casualties if required. This is another point often raised that size correllates to age and experience. This is by no means certain, as others have pointed - the larger size may come from the function, and not the other way around.

Regardless, Eradicators are extremely dangerous on the battle field. With very heavy shields, considerable armour and a powerful sensor array, they are both hard to surprise, let alone destroy. They are armed with a massive double-barreled particle laser cannon turret, supplemented by two matterflux missile launchers (typically carrying 48 missiles in total). These weapons can fire up to six missiles each at once, but then require a brief break with they are reloaded. The Eradicator's weapons are further rounded out by four magnetic linear accelerator gatlings covering each direction and four heavy point-defence particle laser arrays. Combined with the Eradicator's excellent ECM system, these last render it virtually impregable to individual missiles; a large or sustained salvo is required to even have a chance

Radical Recon Tank

The smallest and lightest of the Cybertank configurations ever seen, the Radical performs function as a scout. A Radical has the highest speed of all gravitic Cybertanks. They are lightly armed and shielded, but their primary particle laser turret is extremely powerful, matching that of some lighter main battle tanks. It also has a considerable arc of fire, allowing the Radical to perform in anti-infantry, anti-drone and anti-aircraft roles, supplement by the small particle laser emitter on the top of the turret.

Radicals have a noted tendancy for over-confidence and rashness, and are prone to making poor descisions and displaying an arrogance which is high even by Cybertank standards. Some attribute this to their particular speciality, i.e. not disimilar to a "fighter jockey" effect. Others suggest that this lends credance to the theory that Cybertanks "evolve" into larger forms as they age and this attitude is the folly of youth. As always with the Cybertanks, the truth is a mystery.

Vaporiser Light Tank

The unusual Vaporiser is less a tank and more a mobile pill box. With a fixed manetic linear accelerator gatling, and very heavy front armour (approaching that of the Eradicator), it is often seen functioning as a latter-day inpromptu fixed-line machine gun. It’s main weapon, however, is the omnidirectional partical laser beam array mounted on the back, often confused for a sensor array. This has considerable range and is equally capable at anti-air or anti-armour roles. Their side armour is considerably less, and their shields are not stronger than the Radical’s.

However, these are not the reasons the Vaporisers are most notorious. They six double-sized sized tractor emitters, four at the front and two at the rear, provided them with enormous strength and manipulative ability. They can lift about 80 tons, and can throw around eight - more than enough to uproot and hurl a tree. There are few vehicles that can traverse woods or other difficult terrain so easily – the Vaporisers simply shove the trees out of their path like a man would brush aside undergrowth. They are sufficiently skilled at this, they can do at nearly full speed. The resulting clear trail allows the following Cybertanks to launch an expected strike from an unexpected direction.

Quoted for future reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Litewarior View Post
    Synopsis for Season 2 finale.

Spoiler
    Show
    I believe the comments accurately describe my reaction. Wat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Didn't one of the animators mention working on a very disturbing scene in the season finale? Methinks this wedding could get interesting.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, guys, you should really --

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Hey guys. Remember when we used to label our spoilers so that people knew what was inside them? Good times... Good times...
    -- yeah, this.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Didn't one of the animators mention working on a very disturbing scene in the season finale? Methinks this wedding could get interesting.
    Finale theory (and a bit of restating of previous theories):
    Spoiler
    Show
    I predict that at least one of the mindrape and the "discord is inside Twilight, waiting for the right time" theories is true.

And then, Celestia is going to get Discorded.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I predict that at least one of the mindrape and the "discord is inside Twilight, waiting for the right time" theories is true.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nah, Celestia is going to get Nightmared. My guess? The guy is talking about animating a !!evil!! laughing Celestia in frount of a shaken twilight.

Also, best pic for this theory.

Spoiler
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #282

Playing Mass Effect 3... while doing interviews... and pony.
    Are ponies in suits saving the galaxy?
    There's no time for sleep and it's all blending together.

I think ponies in suits are saving the galaxy.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    Hey, guys, you should really --

And so that I'm not being completely negative, random, non-spoilery pics:
    Spoiler
    Show

-- yeah, this.
    Consider this thirded.

Also, Siosilvar? As much as Thanqol is an authority on many things, I must say I think that the general colour-scheme is fine. Of the latest three, I like the first most. The third is quite good, but the stripe needs work, I think. It looks too much like, well, a line. Thicker, like one stripe of Rainbow Dash's colours could work perhaps?
    I prefer the first though, either way.

The bright yellow hooves are a bit strange, though.

14. - Top - End - #284

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Nah, Celestia is going to get Nightmared. My guess? The guy is talking about animating a !!evil!! laughing Celestia in frount of a shaken twilight.

Also, best pic for this theory.

Spoiler
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Jayden: You sayin' I'm crazy?
    I'mma sayin' you're cuddly! :3

Tshhh, accept instead that the entire world is an Arcadian dream; that is, it operates on mutable time and narrative laws. Rainbow Dash wants to be a hero, so the entire town retcons itself into a disaster zone to support that desire. The hero wins because that's what heroes do. Ponies run faster when they're pulling carts because that invokes the narrative power of vehicles. It's all nonsense, but it's narratively consistent nonsense.

It's not a world, it's a beautiful, insane dream filled with lovely ponies and their fascinating minds.
    ...win.
    Did you know that that is (eventually) the primary limit placed on Lixie's powers? My/her power is limted to that which best serves the 'plot' at any given moment, expressly and specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    [spoiler]See that, right there? That is why there are no star-spanning organisations of phylactery-bound liches. There is no SAFE. There is no garentee. Relying on the deceptive security of a phyactery is like relying on armour for protection. It's a last-ditch defence commonly confused with the first. Even wearing armour, you still endeavour not to get hit.
    I want some space liches who actually have as their phylacteries their entire ships.

Not much to tell. After attracting the attention of the Aotrs, they offered me a commission, I accepted and became a Lich.

As to what I did to attract the attention of the Aotrs...sorry, I'm afraid that's one of the very few times, I have to metaphorically smile politely, and say "that's classified."

Yeah, it's above even my pay-grade, that.
    :3
    What about me?

That is awesome.

(Though if I met a real Cybertank capable of stretching it's turret up like that I wouldn't know whether to laugh or be worried.)
    New variant incoming in three, two, one...

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    9 pages. In, like, a day. That's... whaaaaat. I mean, whaaaaat. Why does this thread move so fast?
    Because ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    *Obligatory comment on how this is notheeng compared to the Old Days*
    ...actually, this is about right.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Also, Siosilvar? As much as Thanqol is an authority on many things, I must say I think that the general colour-scheme is fine. Of the latest three, I like the first most.
    So do I.

Now, let's check the list:

1. Pony.
    2. Cutie mark.
    3. Learn to draw.
    4. ???
    5. Profit!

I thinfh I need another stfep in there abouf learning to hold a penfil in my hoovsh so I can talk at the same time as I'm writing. Maybe I could get one of those baby dragons instead...
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Re: TVGuideGate, Closing Season Advance Episode Description, random speculation, whatever you want to call it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I watched Children's TV Shows in the 80's and 90's so I totally go this.

The reason why Twilight Sparkle never talked about her brother is because, prior to this episode, she never had a brother. You see, Shining Armor's parents, as a wedding gift for him, decided to adopt Twilight Sparkle, thus making her his brother- this is the actual shocker. Because of that, Twilight actually has to move out of Ponyville, to whatever foreign land Shining Armor resides. This is predicted to put a strain on all the friendships Twilight has created, so the Mane 6 start scheming up plans to ruin the wedding.

As all marriage plans do on children's TV, the wedding goes off without a hitch, regardless. Steadfastedly yearning to return to Ponyville, Twilight ends up partnering with 5 other new ponies in Newlandia (Judging from the Happy Meal toys, Lily Blossom will be one of them) to achieve her goals. In the process, she sees how upset her leaving Shining Armor makes him. By the end of the episode, Twilight learns the lesson that she can keep her old friends while still making new friends, and decides to stay in Newlandia. The original mane 6 promise to write to each other and occasionally visit, but as soon as season 3 rolls out we never hear from the rest of the five again.

Season 3 rolls out with each pony getting new weapons to compliment their snap-on armor they got in Season 2, and introduces a more extreme, edgier storyline as Twilight combats the forces of unfriendship with her new friends and defend the fair maiden Cadence.

There you have it. A sufficient explanation of why nobody said that Twilight Sparkle had a brother in the first place, so who could have any complants?

"Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

18. - Top - End - #288

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...Perhaps they were done in by the Pegasus Mafia?
    Spoiler label: refutation
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is no pegasus mafia! I thought we'd established that pages ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, they shouldn't be. However, said sibling cannot appear spontaneously, as unlike a mother and father, the existence of an older sibling isn't guaranteed and cannot be just assumed. Therefore, if the sibling needs to appear, the episode must make sure to introduce him properly, and the backstory of the sibling must be plausible enough to have him be completely absent from the character's daily life and dialogue up to this point.

I.e. "This is my brother I never told you about" is wrong, "Oh my gosh, can it really be my brother, I've never seen him since he left to live abroad when I was little" would be closer to acceptable.
    Spoiler label: legitimate disagreement
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bear in mind that Twilight's daily life has been, for the span of the series, in a different city than her parents'. We have no indication that they were close, even before that. I have no problem believing that if she mentioned her brother at all to other ponies since she moved, it was in the form of brief reminiscences (I remember when my brother...). Such things can easily happen without note in between episodes or even scenes.

That said, yes, "my brother I never told you about" is wrong. I'd think that just "my brother, Shining Armor" would be all right, though.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler label: refutation
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is no pegasus mafia! I thought we'd established that pages ago!
    Pony Parents:
    Spoiler
    Show
    See, that's where the friendship magic comes in. The parents do not exist, ergo, the only mafia that can take them out does not exist.
    ---

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

this...i am trying to avoid upcoming episode spoiler stuff...would be nice to know if a box has a safe picture in it or stuff i need to avoid

i am gonna have to have my sister use a marker and black out the TV guide part with spoiler.....
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

21. - Top - End - #291

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Of course not, but this finale is already asking us to accept a LOT of stuff that hasn't really been established, and I think that putting in an out-of-nowhere sibling as an excuse for the Mane 6 to get involved is silly. That said, we could have had a solid Twilight episode where her brother came to town, and she felt shown up/overshadowed and worried that her friends liked him more than her. That would be a great way to introduce the character. I just worry that they're trying to cram way too much into this finale. Even if they decided to throw Twilight's brother into the finale, it wouldn't have been too late to add a throwaway line into an earlier episode that establishes that he exists at all. Again, I'm hoping that I'm wrong and it turns out to be great.

In other personal fanon related to pony relatives, I'm also holding out for an episode where Pinkie's Aunt Surprise comes to visit her favorite niece and we find out that she had a falling out with her sister/Pinkie's mom sometime in the past. Pinkie tries to fix it, unsuccessfully, and we get the moral that even if grown ups don't always get along with each other it doesn't mean they can't both love their kids.

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    im inclined to think RD is either and only child or an eldest.
    I think Faust said she didn't picture RD being a good older sister. I'm inclined towards only child.

Pony Parents:
    Spoiler
    Show
    See, that's where the friendship magic comes in. The parents do not exist, ergo, the only mafia that can take them out does not exist.
    This is totally sane and sensible by pony thread standards
    Last edited by Eakin; 2012-03-07 at 08:12 PM.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

I foresee a world where everyone's facebook accounts is connected to the cybernetics internet; just by looking at someone you can see their status, if they're looking for relationship or a conversation, or even if they just want to be left alone.

You could eat at a shopping mall and put up a digital sign saying 'Bored. Talk to me?' and thus silently invite passerby to sit down and have a conversation. Your cybernetics would also import contact lists, music tastes, friends - "Oh, you know Robert? I was in high school with him!". Filters could similarly be put up; members of a brony group for example would see other bronies clearly while keeping it hidden from others.

There are privacy issues, naturally, and having this kind of information freely available about everyone would redefine human social conduct. I also see it as the most logical and inevitable conclusion of the advances made in facial recognition/photography, portable computing, facebook and social media, and biotech advances.

I think it'd be fascinating. Privacy issues, identity theft, all problems as usual, but it seems the logical conclusion of the direction our technology is heading in.
    Yep, that would be fun. Now imagine what happens when you go to a concert or head out Christmas shopping and have a few hundred people in your view at the same time.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

I thinfh I need another stfep in there abouf learning to hold a penfil in my hoovsh so I can talk at the same time as I'm writing. Maybe I could get one of those baby dragons instead...
    Every home should have one.

Re: TVGuideGate, Closing Season Advance Episode Description, random speculation, whatever you want to call it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I watched Children's TV Shows in the 80's and 90's so I totally go this.

The reason why Twilight Sparkle never talked about her brother is because, prior to this episode, she never had a brother. You see, Shining Armor's parents, as a wedding gift for him, decided to adopt Twilight Sparkle, thus making her his brother- this is the actual shocker. Because of that, Twilight actually has to move out of Ponyville, to whatever foreign land Shining Armor resides. This is predicted to put a strain on all the friendships Twilight has created, so the Mane 6 start scheming up plans to ruin the wedding.

As all marriage plans do on children's TV, the wedding goes off without a hitch, regardless. Steadfastedly yearning to return to Ponyville, Twilight ends up partnering with 5 other new ponies in Newlandia (Judging from the Happy Meal toys, Lily Blossom will be one of them) to achieve her goals. In the process, she sees how upset her leaving Shining Armor makes him. By the end of the episode, Twilight learns the lesson that she can keep her old friends while still making new friends, and decides to stay in Newlandia. The original mane 6 promise to write to each other and occasionally visit, but as soon as season 3 rolls out we never hear from the rest of the five again.

Season 3 rolls out with each pony getting new weapons to compliment their snap-on armor they got in Season 2, and introduces a more extreme, edgier storyline as Twilight combats the forces of unfriendship with her new friends and defend the fair maiden Cadence.

There you have it. A sufficient explanation of why nobody said that Twilight Sparkle had a brother in the first place, so who could have any complants?

How bad is it that that sounds pretty cool?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Colossus in the Playground

Consider this thirded.

Also, Siosilvar? As much as Thanqol is an authority on many things, I must say I think that the general colour-scheme is fine. Of the latest three, I like the first most. The third is quite good, but the stripe needs work, I think. It looks too much like, well, a line. Thicker, like one stripe of Rainbow Dash's colours could work perhaps?
    I prefer the first though, either way.

The bright yellow hooves are a bit strange, though.
    It's fine, sure, it's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I'mma sayin' you're cuddly! :3
    Jayden: Cuddly like a fox! I don't know I'm out of comebacks.

...win.
    Did you know that that is (eventually) the primary limit placed on Lixie's powers? My/her power is limted to that which best serves the 'plot' at any given moment, expressly and specifically.
    Honestly, a good limit for anyone to have.

So do I.

Now, let's check the list:

1. Pony.
    2. Cutie mark.
    3. Learn to draw.
    4. ???
    5. Profit!

Purple hooves are you mad

Otherwise this one works better, the tone's reminiscent of beaches.

Yep, that would be fun. Now imagine what happens when you go to a concert or head out Christmas shopping and have a few hundred people in your view at the same time.
    C'mon, just imagine it like the HUD of any video game.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

So there's this giant robot, right?
    (Non-spoilery Arts inside)
    Spoiler
    Show

But it's okay, the Ponithid has lured it into the spoiler box.
    Well done Ponithid!

This is what I did instead of getting to bed at a decent hour.
    I regret nothing.
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-03-07 at 08:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Purple hooves are you mad

Otherwise this one works better, the tone's reminiscent of beaches.
    Mad? One might say that...

Muahaha-er, that is, of course not. Not crazy at all. Nothing to see here. Check the character sheet: Sarcastic Good.
    ...and please try to ignore the three levels of Mad Scientist.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2012-03-07 at 08:33 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Jayden: Cuddly like a fox! I don't know I'm out of comebacks.
    (SNUGGLE!)

Honestly, a good limit for anyone to have.
    She put it on herself to avoid censure from the Foundation. It's bypassed by certain extreme emotional circumstances, but that's more a safeguard... and a loophole.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Colossus in the Playground

So there's this giant robot, right?
    (Non-spoilery Arts inside)
    Spoiler
    Show

But it's okay, the Ponithid has lured it into the spoiler box.
    Well done Ponithid!

This is what I did instead of getting to bed at a decent hour.
    I regret nothing.
    Amazing

Mad? One might say that...

Muahaha-er, that is, of course not. Not crazy at all. Nothing to see here. Check the character sheet: Sarcastic Good.
    ...and please try to ignore the three levels of Mad Scientist.
    You're not crazy?

Get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    (SNUGGLE!)
    Jayden: Ahhhh, too tired to protest.

She put it on herself to avoid censure from the Foundation. It's bypassed by certain extreme emotional circumstances, but that's more a safeguard... and a loophole.
    Who's the foundation?

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

You're not crazy?

Get out.
    I meant in a comparative manner, of course. No crazier than... uh, actually, I can't think of a good example. *pulls lever, falls down escape chute*
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    I think Faust said she didn't picture RD being a good older sister. I'm inclined towards only child.
    RD would be like the best worst big sis ever. Which is exactly why I imagine she has a little brother somewhere.
    Truth resists simplicity.