New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Default Re: Dominic Deegan, Mk. XLVII: A Flat World From Recycled Scrap

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    AHAHAHAHA What is this I don't even

Does Mookie think Dragon Luna is cool and badass? It's more ridiculous than anything.
    Do you really want to go through the list of things Mookie thinks are cool and badass? (If you do, someone else will have to oblige you, because I'm not quite that much of a glutton for punishment.)

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    Do you really want to go through the list of things Mookie thinks are cool and badass? (If you do, someone else will have to oblige you, because I'm not quite that much of a glutton for punishment.)
    Indeed. Such a list would only dragon and on...

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

Drag on and geek out.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I don't know what to say about this one. At least when Dominic turned into a giant hedgehog or wielded the sword of Lion-O it was hilariously stupid. This is just plain sad.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Dwarf in the Playground

Whaaa.....? She's... a.... super sayian, scorpion, orc, whatever the hell Bort is, with some glass-wood glued on? I think my brain just errored out.... hold on.
    Icon by azuyomi244.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

Middle panel, her body gets weird even for DD. I'm finding it hard exactly to explain why. It's like, you know those really bad photoshop jobs, where they cut out part of their body by accident? It's like Mookie did that while drawing. Wow.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Colossus in the Playground

"Im a orc dragon princess! RAKARAR!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #428
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh man, two hilariously stupid strips in a row. Have we hit the end of the so-bad-it's-good streak, or will this continue?

9. - Top - End - #429

Take a good look at the last panel of yesterday's comic, where the creepy dragon is offering Luna a gift. Notice how he looks especially like a hunchbacked old man in a dragon suit. Now look at today's comic, wherein Luna accepts his gift, and all her clothes melt off.

*shudder*
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I guess that explains why the dragon looks like a creepy dude instead of what I traditionally associate with dragon anatomy.

Dragons aren't born, they're made. They acquire The Heart of a Dragon, at which point they start to adopt draconic features, as well as grow. However, the final dragon form is either a blend of its original species characteristics and dragon (not unlike a xenomorph), or the guy that became the dragon hadn't fully transformed into a full dragon.

Maybe there are trueborn dragons, but the one we've been dealing with isn't one of them.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

What did Luna just do?

I'm asking because no more than five minutes ago, a dying dragon told her that this is a temporary boon.
    And I didn't bold the word "temporary", this is how it appeared in yesterday's comic!

So I'm guessing Luna's thoughts in the last panel are something along the line of:
    "Hmm, I guess using the heart of the dragon just to pose in front of the mirror wasn't such a bright idea"

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

I would seriously pay money for a livestream of Mookie drawing his comics and explaining his artistic choices (in between fits of rocking on and geeking out).

I really want to know how something like this happens, because this is something an average ten-year-old would come up with and draw.

And then burn in shame.

Oh, and by the way, what is Luna doing with her hands in the last panel?

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

You know, when you think about it, Mookie's obsession with dragons makes sense. Plenty of hack fantasy writers operate under the belief that the recipe for making something cool is to throw more dragons at it. Neither Mookie nor they realize that it's not enough.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-11-14 at 03:42 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    You know, when you think about it, Mookie's obsession with dragons makes sense. Plenty of hack fantasy writers operate under the belief that the recipe for making something cool is to throw more dragons at it. Neither Mookie nor they realize that it's not enough.
    I don't think one dragon as an NPC makes Mookie obsessed.
    Sure, he likes dragons, and he sticks them without any sense like he does with anything he considers to be cool, but dragons don't pop all the time out of nowhere for different people and reasons.

Tentacles on the other hand...

15. - Top - End - #435

GnomeWizardGuy

If Mookie truly was obsessed with dragons, he would know how to draw one.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    I don't think one dragon as an NPC makes Mookie obsessed.
    Sure, he likes dragons, and he sticks them without any sense like he does with anything he considers to be cool, but dragons don't pop all the time out of nowhere for different people and reasons.

Tentacles on the other hand...
    Alright, maybe "obsession" isn't the right word. But every time the dragon appears in the comic, he makes a newspost about just how cool dragons are - see the latest newspost - and appears to assume all readers will also go "OMGDRAGON".
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Alright, maybe "obsession" isn't the right word. But every time the dragon appears in the comic, he makes a newspost about just how cool dragons are - see the latest newspost - and appears to assume all readers will also go "OMGDRAGON".
    See also - Dominus' and Luna's reaction to the dragon's first appearance during the vacation arc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

18. - Top - End - #438

GnomeWizardGuy

Mookie has an obsession about making his comic appear cool by inserting whatever random stock cliche element he finds in vogue in the moment. "If X is cool, then putting X in my comic automatically makes it cool, right?", where X is dragons, werewolves, rock concerts, Captain America's shield fighting, etc.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, so . . .

I stopped reading probably a month or two ago. What with school and work, the comic just wasn't interesting enough for me to invest precious time in.

But I'm off of work sick right now, and looking for something to do, I clicked back through the last couple of comics . . .

What the ever-loving **** is going on?

20. - Top - End - #440

Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    Everything.
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

21. - Top - End - #441

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    Remember that part in Maltak where after doing nothing for what seems like forever, [MAIN DEEGAN] walks over to [MAIN VILLAIN] for no reason to get captured and power up the [PLOT DEVICE] that is destroying the world, and in return [OTHER MAIN DEEGAN] very slowly assembles [EVERY SINGLE OTHER GUDDAM CHARACTER IN THIS MESS], one by one, for the final showdown battle?

It's that.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    See also - Dominus' and Luna's reaction to the dragon's first appearance during the vacation arc.
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Mookie has an obsession about making his comic appear cool by inserting whatever random stock cliche element he finds in vogue in the moment. "If X is cool, then putting X in my comic automatically makes it cool, right?", where X is dragons, werewolves, rock concerts, Captain America's shield fighting, etc.
    True. I suppose dragons are just a part of his general MO. It just struck me after reading the latest newspost.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dominic Deegan is pretty much the purest form of cargo cult writing.

24. - Top - End - #444

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    Dominic Deegan is pretty much the purest form of cargo cult writing.
    Thanks, I'd been looking for the right phrase to describe it and that is it exactly.

It's not just the dragons and the electric guitars too, it's everything. That's why DD keeps powering up all the heroes for no reason; in good media, that's a powerful dramatic moment, so surely throwing them in everwhere makes it all powerful, right?

25. - Top - End - #445
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    I would seriously pay money for a livestream of Mookie drawing his comics and explaining his artistic choices (in between fits of rocking on and geeking out).

I really want to know how something like this happens, because this is something an average ten-year-old would come up with and draw.

And then burn in shame.

Oh, and by the way, what is Luna doing with her hands in the last panel?

I think she is clenching her fist in a sort of, "Oh its ON now!" type of gesture. She just got her power up and now its time to use it to fire off more lasers. Maybe she can fuse it with the elemental spirits of maltak she commands by using acibeks principle.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember that part in Maltak where after doing nothing for what seems like forever, [MAIN DEEGAN] walks over to [MAIN VILLAIN] for no reason to get captured and power up the [PLOT DEVICE] that is destroying the world, and in return [OTHER MAIN DEEGAN] very slowly assembles [EVERY SINGLE OTHER GUDDAM CHARACTER IN THIS MESS], one by one, for the final showdown battle?

It's that.
    But a lot funnier and faster.
    Record number of plot devices appear in super speed without any effort.
    Characters appear in an amazing pace, do a minor action for half a streep and then ignored.
    I think every week has at least 2-3 plot devices, new characters or villains dying for no reason.

Also, it's better because it's supposed to be the last arc.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Orc in the Playground

I still don't buy the idea that this is the last arc. Actually ending would break the cycle of each new development of DD being worse than the last. (Also, hello again, everyone! Just dropping in out of sheer amazement that the thread is STILL going.)
    Last edited by Darkmyst; 2012-11-15 at 12:59 AM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmyst View Post
    I still don't buy the idea that this is the last arc. Actually ending would break the cycle of each new development of DD being worse than the last. (Also, hello again, everyone! Just dropping in out of sheer amazement that the thread is STILL going.)
    There is always the new comic he is planning...

29. - Top - End - #449

New comic

Oh, no. Not the Maestro. Sure, team Deegan defeated all the Archmagi without lifting a finger, but some random lightning mage is even deadlier.

I believe someone pointed out earlier that this would have been the perfect time for the King to assassinate Miranda. Really, all that's left to be said is that Mookie's clearly just trying to kill off every non-Deegan with any significant arcane power so as to cement the First Caste's magical dominance.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, let's take a look at the creatures the king has enchanted at this point.
    All four powerful alien wizards, this lightning mage, and Miranda herself. Of those six, why did he not use the "free will destroying" brand of enchantment on Miranda?
    What purpose does having the Maestro serve to his plans? When was the last time he was in the comic? I only remember the electric guitars.

No emotional connection exists with this character. Beyond Miranda/Mookie saying "O No!" about what is a casual acquaintance at best.
    Last edited by Rhapsh; 2012-11-15 at 03:09 AM.