New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Sword: A Warblade's Handbook [Under Construction]

At low levels, you're unlikely to run out too quickly for you to be able to afford more. At higher levels, the cost is a pittance.

Wands of Lesser Vigor are better, though.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Yes, wands run out of charges. That's what they do. They aren't meant to be an infinite resource, but they're a lot cheaper than spending a feat that you can't get back. Gold is replaceable, feats are not (unless you use the retraining feats rules, but not all DMs allow that, while it's a lot harder to disallow wands). Adventuring is indeed something that requires you to expend resources, which means using wand charges, consuming potions, and using scrolls. That's the way the game is played, at least that's the way I've always played it. Maybe I've been doing something wrong.

MrRigger
    Last edited by MrRigger; 2011-02-11 at 09:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Wands of Lesser Vigor are better, though.
    This. For the love of all things something something buy this now.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Yeah, I knew I forgot to mention something. A CL 1 wand of Cure Light Wounds will cure, 2-9 HP, in one round. A CL 1 wand of Lesser Vigor will cure 11 HP over 11 rounds. Just try and guess which is better for out of combat healing.

MrRigger

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

1 way of healing healing won't run out though.

Healing belt. 6d8 healing every day, for 750gp. Buy more if you need more healing. Much better than your piddly healing of CLW/feat.
    Last edited by 2xMachina; 2011-02-12 at 09:07 AM.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post

Healing belt. 6d8 healing every day, for 750gp. Buy more if you need more healing. Much better than your piddly healing of CLW/feat.
    Yes and no. Healing Belts will certainly you quite a bit and is renewable but a wand of lesser vigor can heal more in a day, so, while you will eventually run out, it may be advisable to have both.

On the other other hand, a Warblade can use a Healing Belt, while he can't normally use a wand, so a Healing Belt is a good individual investment, while a wand of lesser vigor/CLW is more a party investment.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

One good thing about strike of perfect clarity is it's a SoD with massive damage coming into play.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    A free cure spell once per encounter that scales with level is still better because, while improved toughness gives you extra hit points, that's also more hit points to heal, at the very least, they're equal.
    Being able to heal won't stop you from dying like those extra hitpoints in your actual pool could.

Not that Imp. Toughness would be a good feat, either.
    And again, WANDS RUN OUT OF CHARGES.
    So what? Buy a new one, they're dirt cheap, while you'll only ever get a small handful of feats.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    So what? Buy a new one, they're dirt cheap, while you'll only ever get a small handful of feats.
    It's good if you multclass fighter, it's not a fighter bonus feat, but if the feat you would have taken instead was a fighter bonus feat, it's worth it.
    My Steam profile

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

It's good if you multclass fighter, it's not a fighter bonus feat, but if the feat you would have taken instead was a fighter bonus feat, it's worth it.
    Huh?

It's not like even multiclass fighter will have too many feats.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

wow so many people are trying to help you with this handbook:) great job! I didnt manage to read all the comments since... well they are a lot; so what i am about to link might already be available to you but here goes nothing.

At some point you asked for a Bard warblade build. This is by no means my work (which is why its so good :P ) http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Bladesi...acter_Build%29

Its a fun build from my experience that not only makes your char strong but everyone in your (melee) team so even if the others arent optimizing they wont feel left out.
    Last edited by TheAzrael; 2011-02-17 at 05:38 AM.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post

Healing belts are way overrated, IMO.

Yes, it is basically a free cure moderate wounds potion each day, but you will likely be taking much more than 6d8 (27 damage average) each day. This is where wands of vigor have the advantage, as it can heal up to 550 damage in one sitting. Bluntly put, the belt won't even come close to relieving the need for a steady and reliable source of healing in any way.

You would need to use the belt for 20 days just to break even. Assume 4 encounters each day, and 13.3 encounters to lv (so you level every 3.5 days), this means you break even only after 5 levels. And I believe that any party will have no problems paying 750 gp for a wand amongst themselves every 5 lvs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

13. - Top - End - #583
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    Healing belts are way overrated, IMO.

Yes, it is basically a free cure moderate wounds potion each day, but you will likely be taking much more than 6d8 (27 damage average) each day. This is where wands of vigor have the advantage, as it can heal up to 550 damage in one sitting. Bluntly put, the belt won't even come close to relieving the need for a steady and reliable source of healing in any way.

You would need to use the belt for 20 days just to break even. Assume 4 encounters each day, and 13.3 encounters to lv (so you level every 3.5 days), this means you break even only after 5 levels. And I believe that any party will have no problems paying 750 gp for a wand amongst themselves every 5 lvs.
    You have to admit the belt can win out in expediency, as we don't always have minutes to wait for Lesser Vigor to kick in. And it's also not like you need to wear the belt all the time, either, if you have another magic belt you'd rather wear. I think, provided you have a caster or UMDer around, the wand is fine, but for a Warblade at low levels, the belt wins out, since it's THREE Cure Mods a day, not 1.

As I said earlier, a combination of both for when the situation calls for either is probably the best course. The wand is better for a party capable of using it, the belt is better for the individual Warblade who doesn't want to dip into some Devoted Spirit (strange as that may seem to some).
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

When's elfin gonna update?
    My Steam profile

15. - Top - End - #585
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Probably when he's able to. He had an "urgent RL stuff happening will be back when I can" kinda message in his sig at one point.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    Probably when he's able to. He had an "urgent RL stuff happening will be back when I can" kinda message in his sig at one point.
    I saw that, he took it off like, two weeks ago.
    My Steam profile

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Hi guys. ^^ I have to say, of all the Warblade guides found on the web, this is the best one. Actually this thread was the eventual reason why I registered here. :) So I'd like to offer my assistance, if you need any more contributors.

Have to say I am what you might call a "conservative optimizer", which among other things means that I don't like mixing a ton of classes and cherry-picking feats from a dozen sourcebooks. That's why I like the Warblade/ToB, it offers enough goodness to make extensive multi-sourcing unnecessary.

Another reason is that I feel you always need to keep your build playable. For example, it may look awesome on paper to have a Tiger Claw TWFer with like elebentyfive attacks per round, but applying that ingame will turn out to be a tedious and ultimately annoying process.
    *Yawn* Are you done yet?" - "Hold on, now for my off-hand attacks..."

As a sample build, I could offer a pretty straightforward Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade(4) focusing on Knock-Down. Although the build could just as easily be switched to Shock Trooper or the like.

Edit:
    For now, an addition to the Weapon Rack:

Meteor Hammer (Sources: Pathfinder, Adventurer's Armory 4, Legacy of Fire Player's Guide 22): this is the Spiked Chain on steroids. d10, 19-20/x2, and the damage type is the more useful Bludgeoning. You also can Trip with it. It costs an EWP feat, but is more than worth it.
    As written, you can switch between TWF and Reach mode, the latter giving you +1 Shield bonus, which won't matter as soon as you have your animated shield. But even if you import it as slightly nerfed single-mode Reach weapon (you can still attack adjacent squares) it is still awesome.

[Wondering whether that should be Cyan or Golden... it's a really good weapon, but not necessarily defining for a build, as it can be substituted with a Spiked Chain if necessary. So I went for cyan.]
    Last edited by Firechanter; 2011-02-28 at 01:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post
    Hi guys. ^^ I have to say, of all the Warblade guides found on the web, this is the best one. Actually this thread was the eventual reason why I registered here. :) So I'd like to offer my assistance, if you need any more contributors.

Have to say I am what you might call a "conservative optimizer", which among other things means that I don't like mixing a ton of classes and cherry-picking feats from a dozen sourcebooks. That's why I like the Warblade/ToB, it offers enough goodness to make extensive multi-sourcing unnecessary.

Another reason is that I feel you always need to keep your build playable. For example, it may look awesome on paper to have a Tiger Claw TWFer with like elebentyfive attacks per round, but applying that ingame will turn out to be a tedious and ultimately annoying process.
    *Yawn* Are you done yet?" - "Hold on, now for my off-hand attacks..."

As a sample build, I could offer a pretty straightforward Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade(4) focusing on Knock-Down. Although the build could just as easily be switched to Shock Trooper or the like.

Edit:
    For now, an addition to the Weapon Rack:

Meteor Hammer (Sources: Pathfinder, Adventurer's Armory 4, Legacy of Fire Player's Guide 22): this is the Spiked Chain on steroids. d10, 19-20/x2, and the damage type is the more useful Bludgeoning. You also can Trip with it. It costs an EWP feat, but is more than worth it.
    As written, you can switch between TWF and Reach mode, the latter giving you +1 Shield bonus, which won't matter as soon as you have your animated shield. But even if you import it as slightly nerfed single-mode Reach weapon (you can still attack adjacent squares) it is still awesome.

[Wondering whether that should be Cyan or Golden... it's a really good weapon, but not necessarily defining for a build, as it can be substituted with a Spiked Chain if necessary. So I went for cyan.]
    Which Pathfinder book is the meteor hammer in?
    My Steam profile

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post
    Meteor Hammer (Sources: Pathfinder, Adventurer's Armory [p.] 4 [;] Legacy of Fire Player's Guide [p.] 22)
    or online at: http://nethys.karuikage.net/gearWeapons.htm
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

So... are you just gonna let the thread die?
    My Steam profile

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Maybe someone ought to copy the current handbook and paste it in a new thread. It looks like Elfin's been absent since Feb 12, and only he can edit the handbook posts. :(
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I'm thinking someone should do the copy/paste thing.
    My Steam profile

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll take care of it, since Elfin seems to have disappeared. Is there anything special I need to do for the repost though?
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    I'll take care of it, since Elfin seems to have disappeared. Is there anything special I need to do for the repost though?
    I don't know, but you should give credit to him in the first post.
    My Steam profile

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Sit tight, taking care of it now
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sorry to necro, but I would like to see Synad (CPsi) mentioned in the races section, with a note that they're one of the few ways to get more swift actions, something that you can never have too much of. Only 1/day, or 2/day if you take their racial feat (also in CPsi), but still useful.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, since it would no longer be necroing this for me.
    I would like to mention that wouldnt a Thri-Kreen be a great choice race-wise for a tiger claw warblade?
    I mean they get a +30! racial bonus to jump.. Inless there is something I am not seeing, that would be just killer for some of the tiger maneuvers.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrewVolker View Post
    Well, since it would no longer be necroing this for me.
    I would like to mention that wouldnt a Thri-Kreen be a great choice race-wise for a tiger claw warblade?
    I mean they get a +30! racial bonus to jump.. Inless there is something I am not seeing, that would be just killer for some of the tiger maneuvers.
    The only consideration is the Int hit, which hurts some of your abilities quite a bit. Otherwise, the claws, Jump bonus and stat boosts fit rather well with a Warblade. If you can buyoff the LA at ECL 10 and 12, so much the better.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

You could use the non-psionic thri Krin and buy it earlier... level 5 or 6? (not sure if the RHD count as levels for the "You must make to level equal to your LA *3" rule thingy
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    You could use the non-psionic thri Krin and buy it earlier... level 5 or 6? (not sure if the RHD count as levels for the "You must make to level equal to your LA *3" rule thingy
    They don't, if the gnoll example in UA is any indication, hence why I list 10th and 12th for the buyoff points (2 RHD + 2 LA + 6 CL = 10; 2 RHD + 1 LA + 9 CL = 12). In the case of the non-psionic version, it'd be ECL 6.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2011-05-20 at 12:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!