New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
    Default Dweomerwing [3.5, Kindred]

DWEOMERWING

Physical Description: Dweomerwings stand about 1 foot tall and weigh from 5 to 7 pounds. They fly on insect-like wings that reach above their heads.

Str -6 (minimum 1), Dex +4, Con -2, Cha +2

Fey: Dweomerwings are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.

Tiny: +2 bonus to Armor Class, +2 bonus on attack rolls, +8 bonus on Hide checks, –8 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 1/2 those of Medium characters.

Dweomerwing base land speed is 15 feet.

Aura (Ex): A dweomerwing has a strong aura of magic, discernable by detect magic and other such means. She may choose the school of this aura, and may change the school as a free action.

Flight Speed (Su): 20 feet (perfect)

Low-Light Vision: A dweomerwing can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Faerie glow (Sp): As the 0th level spell (see below), usable at will.

Iron Vulnerability (Ex): A dweomerwing who takes damage from a cold iron source must make a Fortitude save (DC = 10 + the damage taken) or she suffers a -4 non-cumulative penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1) and her supernatural ability to fly is suppressed for 1 round.

Automatic Languages: Common and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Auran, Aquan, Terran, Gnome, Goblin, and Elven.

Favored Class: Sorcerer. A multiclass dweomerwing’s sorcerer class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Level Adjustment: +2

Faerie Glow
    Evocation [Light]
    Level: Drd 0
    Components: V, S, DF
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Area: One creature or object
    Duration: 1 minute
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    A pale glow surrounds and outlines the subjects. Outlined subjects shed light as candles. Outlined creatures do not benefit from the concealment normally provided by darkness (though a 1st-level or higher magical darkness effect functions normally), blur, displacement, invisibility, or similar effects. The light is too dim to have any special effect on undead or dark-dwelling creatures vulnerable to light. The faerie fire can be blue, green, or violet, according to your choice at the time of casting. The faerie glow does not cause any harm to the objects or creatures thus outlined.

Change Log

5/12/2012 Toned down LA and ability score penalties (Thank you, Togath and Lateral)
    5/12/2012 Changed tough for her size to +1
    5/13/2012 Replaced faerie fire with faerie glow (Thank you, Andion Isurand.)
    5/13/2012 Increased str, int, wis, and land speed. (Thank you, Andion Isurand.)
    5/13/2012 Revised iron vulnerability. More flavorful now (Thank you, Andion Isurand.)
    5/13/2012 Added racial skill bonuses (Thank you, Andion Isurand.)
    5/13/2012 Deleted tough for her size (Thank you, Andion Isurand.)
    5/14/2012 Added missing '(Sp)' to faerie glow (Thank you, Debihuman.)
    5/15/2012 Increased LA back up to +2 (Thank you, GrodTheGiant.)
    5/15/2012 Dropped racial skill bonuses (Thank you GrodTheGiant.)
    5/16/2012 Added partial physical description (Thank you, Andion Isurand.)
    5/20/2012 Changed type to fey (Thank you, Togath.)
    Last edited by ideasmith; 2012-05-20 at 02:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dweomerwing [3.5, Kindred]

This race doesn't really seem to be worth it's +2 level adjustment currently, were you planning to add more racial features or something to it?, Flight by itself isn't worth a +2 level adjustment, double damage from cold iron, and horrible stats.
    edit; also, how does it have a -16 penalty to strength?, the highest penalty possible to a stat is -10.
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-05-11 at 10:12 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Worst race ever. Disregarding that you can't have a -16 to strength, or that this race will be unable to pick up anything, ever, its only saving grace is that it has that fly speed. The Fortitude thing doesn't matter since you have a -6 to constitution anyway, faerie fire is a mediocre 1st level spell, and low-light vision is a small thing. Being tiny is okay for a spellcaster, so that's another benefit. What are you losing for these?

A net -22 stat modifier, and vulnerability to cold iron. LA +2 is a joke.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    This race doesn't really seem to be worth it's +2 level adjustment currently, were you planning to add more racial features or something to it?, Flight by itself isn't worth a +2 level adjustment, double damage from cold iron, and horrible stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Worst race ever. …, its only saving grace is that it has that fly speed. The Fortitude thing doesn't matter since you have a -6 to constitution anyway, faerie fire is a mediocre 1st level spell, and low-light vision is a small thing. Being tiny is okay for a spellcaster, so that's another benefit. What are you losing for these?

A net -22 stat modifier, and vulnerability to cold iron. LA +2 is a joke.
    I have toned down ability penalties and LA. This can be scaled back, if I’ve made the kindred too powerful.
    Disregarding that you can't have a -16 to strength, or that this race will be unable to pick up anything, ever
    Ability to pick things up in D&D is determined by the actual strength score, not the strength ability modifier.
    edit; also, how does it have a -16 penalty to strength?, the highest penalty possible to a stat is -10.
    A search through my book turned up no such restriction.
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

How about this?
    I would just write up the Faerie Glow spell as a cantrip that can be found in the spells section of your homebrew.

--------------------------------------------------

DWEOMERWING

Tiny Size: +2 bonus to Armor Class, +2 bonus on attack rolls, +8 bonus on Hide checks, –8 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 1/2 those of Medium characters.

Flight (Su): A dweomerwing can fly at a speed of 20 feet with perfect maneuverability.

Low-Light Vision: A dweomerwing can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Spell-like abilities: At will -- faerie glow, magic aura. Caster level equal to HD. Save DCs are charisma-based.

Iron Vulnerability (Ex): A dweomerwing that takes damage from a cold iron source must make a Fortitude save (DC = 10 + the damage taken) or it suffers a -4 non-cumulative penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1) and its supernatural ability to fly is suppressed for 1 round.

+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks.

Automatic Languages: Common and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Auran, Aquan, Terran, Gnome, Goblin, and Elven.

Favored Class: Sorcerer. A multiclass dweomerwing’s sorcerer class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Level Adjustment: +1
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2012-05-12 at 02:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ideasmith View Post
    1: Ability to pick things up in D&D is determined by the actual strength score, not the strength ability modifier.
    2: A search through my book turned up no such restriction.
    1: actually, yes, a creature's strength modifier does change it's carrying capacity, as it changes the creature's strength score.
    2: Actually there is, the lowest a stat can be is 0, and a race's ability score modifiers are equal to there stats -10(if the base stat is even, and 0 or higher) or -11(if the base stat is odd, and 1 or higher).
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-05-12 at 02:52 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Ability to pick things up in D&D is determined by the actual strength score, not the strength ability modifier.
    Your actual strength score includes your racial bonuses and penalties. You're confusing that and your ability modifier, the thing that corresponds to (your score-10)/2, rounded down.
    -------
    Now... it's still bad. A net -10 to stats and LA +1 is still awful, even for the flight and Tiny size. Try reducing the Strength penalty to -6, dropping the CON penalty, and adding a +2 to CHA.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2012-05-12 at 04:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Here's a question you need to ask yourself when making a race. Is it so powerful that someone would want to take it every time or is it so weak that no one would ever want to take it.

This race fits into the second category. As written your getting net -10 plus the size penalties (Balanced with the advantages), your also getting double damage from cold iron. What are you getting for this huge sacrifice? Flight (Nice but not enough) Faerie fire (Measly spell that is barely useful) +1 fort (Eh not really all too great) and with all that you have to accept an LA +1.... Um no! this race is damn near unplayable.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andion Isurand View Post
    How about this?
    I would just write up the Faerie Glow spell as a cantrip that can be found in the spells section of your homebrew.

--------------------------------------------------
    Good idea. Done. Thank you.
    DWEOMERWING

Tiny Size: +2 bonus to Armor Class, +2 bonus on attack rolls, +8 bonus on Hide checks, –8 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 1/2 those of Medium characters.

Changes to ability scores and land speed done. Saw no reason to drop aura.
    Flight (Su): A dweomerwing can fly at a speed of 20 feet with perfect maneuverability.

Spell-like abilities: At will -- faerie glow, magic aura. Caster level equal to HD. Save DCs are charisma-based.
    While dweomerwings certainly can be magically sneaky, I don’t see it as this sort of inherent.
    Iron Vulnerability (Ex): A dweomerwing that takes damage from a cold iron source must make a Fortitude save (DC = 10 + the damage taken) or it suffers a -4 non-cumulative penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1) and its supernatural ability to fly is suppressed for 1 round.
    Cool. Added. Thank you.
    +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search and Spot checks.
    I'm not seeing them as inherently perceptive either. I have added skill bonuses, but to different skills.

Level Adjustment: +1
    Thank you.

1: actually, yes, a creature's strength modifier does change it's carrying capacity, as it changes the creature's strength score.
    Your actual strength score includes your racial bonuses and penalties. You're confusing that and your ability modifier, the thing that corresponds to (your score-10)/2, rounded down.
    If a creature’s Strength is reduced to 2 by a -16 penalty, the carrying capacity is determined by the Strength score of 2; not the -16 penalty, whose only effect was to reduce the Strength to 2 in the first place.
    2: Actually there is, the lowest a stat can be is 0, and a race's ability score modifiers are equal to there stats -10(if the base stat is even, and 0 or higher) or -11(if the base stat is odd, and 1 or higher).
    That problem would also exist with a penalty of -4, if no minimum was applied. So the problem you cite was due to leaving out the ‘(minimum 1)’, not to the -16 penalty.
    -------
    Now... it's still bad. A net -10 to stats and LA +1 is still awful, even for the flight and Tiny size. Try reducing the Strength penalty to -6, dropping the CON penalty, and adding a +2 to CHA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish View Post
    Here's a question you need to ask yourself when making a race. Is it so powerful that someone would want to take it every time or is it so weak that no one would ever want to take it.

This race fits into the second category. As written your getting net -10 plus the size penalties (Balanced with the advantages), your also getting double damage from cold iron. What are you getting for this huge sacrifice? Flight (Nice but not enough) Faerie fire (Measly spell that is barely useful) +1 fort (Eh not really all too great) and with all that you have to accept an LA +1.... Um no! this race is damn near unplayable.
    Kindred powered up again. How about now?
    My Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

If a creature’s Strength is reduced to 2 by a -16 penalty, the carrying capacity is determined by the Strength score of 2; not the -16 penalty, whose only effect was to reduce the Strength to 2 in the first place.
    Yes, exactly, but with a -16 penalty your Strength score will almost always be 1. A character with 1 strength and Tiny size can't lift anything. Their maximum load is five pounds.

Yeah, it's okay now.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

That problem would also exist with a penalty of -4, if no minimum was applied. So the problem you cite was due to leaving out the ‘(minimum 1)’, not to the -16 penalty.
    Nah. Stat adjustments are derived from a base of 10 or 11, representing an average creature if the species. So a stat of 1 equates to a -10 penalty for the race. A -16 would mean that a near-Olympian of that race, the strongest of the strong, can still lift no more than the average, which makes no sense. At that point, just flat out decree their strength score is always 1. Or did you intentionally want their paragons of strength to be weaker than the weakest human being possible...a person who is almost a bedridden invalid?

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    Or did you intentionally want their paragons of strength to be weaker than the weakest human being possible...a person who is almost a bedridden invalid?
    Actually, that would be kind of awesome.

"I AM TORG THE INEXORABLE, THE STRONGEST OF MY PEOPLE! NONE CAN MATCH MY DISPLAYS OF INCREDIBLE POWER!" *lifts up a 10lb. weight*

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Even then I'd rebalance it a bit, probably with a table like this:

Strength 1-12 --- becomes Strength 1
    Strength 12-15 --- becomes Strength 2
    Strength 15-17 --- becomes Strength 3
    Strength 18 --- becomes Strength 4

Only use the above table at character creation.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Faerie glow is too similar to faerie fire. I'm not sure you can have magical darkness at 1st level. Darkness spell is 2nd level.

Why not just allow them faerie fire at will?

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-05-14 at 06:51 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Yes, exactly, but with a -16 penalty your Strength score will almost always be 1. A character with 1 strength and Tiny size can't lift anything. Their maximum load is five pounds.
    Which is more than enough to lift a size Medium longsword above her head. It isn’t much, but it is definitely something.
    Yeah, it's okay now.
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    Nah. Stat adjustments are derived from a base of 10 or 11, representing an average creature if the species. So a stat of 1 equates to a -10 penalty for the race. A -16 would mean that a near-Olympian of that race, the strongest of the strong, can still lift no more than the average, which makes no sense. At that point, just flat out decree their strength score is always 1. Or did you intentionally want their paragons of strength to be weaker than the weakest human being possible...a person who is almost a bedridden invalid?
    Yes, I did so intend. I got talked out of it with balance arguments, but I still think it fits the concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Faerie glow is too similar to faerie fire.
    Faerie fire and faerie glow seem more different than charm person and charm monster. Or cure light wounds and cure serious wounds. Unless you are talking about difference in power, in which case how much do you suggest I reduce the duration?
    [I] I'm not sure you can have magical darkness at 1st level. Darkness spell is 2nd level.
    Even if, bizarrely, no such spell is available in the various 3.5-compatible sources, there is always spell research.
    Faerie glow is too similar to faerie fire. Why not just allow them faerie fire at will?
    Because I don’t want them to use the effect at range. Or over an area.
    My Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not sure you can have magical darkness at 1st level. Darkness spell is 2nd level.
    Darklight, BoVD.
    Distracting Shadows, MoE.
    Net of Shadows, SpC.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Well, I guess you can have magical darkness at level 1. I don't have time or inclination to look up all the non-core spells that fit.

Faerie glow should be a spell-like ability rather than a supernatural ability since it mimics the spell exactly. The DC save is piteously low.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Faerie glow should be a spell-like ability rather than a supernatural ability since it mimics the spell exactly. The DC save is piteously low.
    Missing '(Sp)' added. Thank you.
    My Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see. For 1 LA, I can get Tiny size (+2 AC/attack), +4 Dex (another +2 AC), +2 Charisma, and perfect flight? Yes, please, for just about any caster. Especially sorcerers. Who cares if I can't carry things? That's what mage hand and Tenser's floating disk are for. And Cold Iron vulnerability? How often does that come up, unless the DM is specifically gunning for you?

I'm going to take a dissenting opinion here and say that, if you're not a martial character who cares about strength, this is a really strong race.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Let's see. For 1 LA, I can get Tiny size (+2 AC/attack), +4 Dex (another +2 AC), +2 Charisma, and perfect flight? Yes, please, for just about any caster. Especially sorcerers. Who cares if I can't carry things? That's what mage hand and Tenser's floating disk are for. And Cold Iron vulnerability? How often does that come up, unless the DM is specifically gunning for you?

I'm going to take a dissenting opinion here and say that, if you're not a martial character who cares about strength, this is a really strong race.
    Being inclined to agree with you, I have upped the LA back to +2 and dropped the bonuses to Perform and Spellcraft. Look good now?
    My Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

It's definitely not worth level adjustment +2, at worst it's a level
    adjustment +1 race, but it's probably closer to a high level adjustment +0
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-05-15 at 10:16 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think I've figured out why everyone disagrees on the strength of this race: it's a balanced LA +0, except for the flight ability. Fly 20 feet (perfect), even if it's dispellable, shouldn't occur until at least 5th level.

23. - Top - End - #23

Here's a suggestion to reduce it's LA, the following abilities replacing its Flight ability... still not sure if this creature has actual wings or not, despite its name.... so I based its abilities on lessening and bending gravity.

----------------------------------------------

Gravity Glide (Su): By thought alone, a Dweomerwing may glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing up to 20 feet of horizontal movement for every 5 feet of descent, falling at least 10 feet per round. Dweomerwings glide at a speed of 40 feet (perfect maneuverability). Despite the Dweomerwing's maneuverability, she can’t hover while gliding.
    An unconscious Dweomerwing falls at a speed of 10 feet per round and takes no damage from the fall itself. A paralyzed or otherwise helpless Dweomerwing may still use its glide speed as normal, though all other penalties of such a condition still apply.

A dweomerwing gains Agile Athlete (RotW 148) as a bonus feat.

Defy Gravity (Su): A Dweomerwing gains a +10 circumstance bonus on all Climb and Jump checks, as well as on Swim checks to maintain its depth or swim to the surface. In addition, any weight she carries is halved for purposes of encumbrance.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

It's definitely not worth level adjustment +2, at worst it's a level
    adjustment +1 race, but it's probably closer to a high level adjustment +0
    Would giving them the fey type help? It certainly fits the feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarvon000 View Post
    I think I've figured out why everyone disagrees on the strength of this race: it's a balanced LA +0, except for the flight ability. Fly 20 feet (perfect), even if it's dispellable, shouldn't occur until at least 5th level.
    Flight is central to the concept, but if it would help, I could reduce the maneuverability to good or even average. I might also limit how high the dweomerwing could fly.
    Here's a suggestion to reduce it's LA, the following abilities replacing its Flight ability... still not sure if this creature has actual wings or not,
    They totally have wings. Have added some fluff to make that clear. For appearance, think the Disney version of Tinkerbell.
    despite its name.... so I based its abilities on lessening and bending gravity.
    I am not interested in designing a gravity-manipulating kindred.
    My Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

making it fey could be interesting, it's also much easier to understand the concept you were going for now that there's fluff.
    With fey it would probably be high level adjustment +0, low level adjustment +1, as while the fey type adds some useful abilities, it also removes a few advantages gained from the humanoid type.
    Meow(Steam page)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

making it fey could be interesting, it's also much easier to understand the concept you were going for now that there's fluff.
    With fey it would probably be high level adjustment +0, low level adjustment +1, as while the fey type adds some useful abilities, it also removes a few advantages gained from the humanoid type.
    Type changed.
    My Extended Signature