New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default The Last Jedi - There At First.. wait

I consider viable to talk about a movie coming out when MovieBob did a review...

So. Nonspoiler comments from him:

- its a big move away from "recreating the orginal movies"
    - Carrie Fisher and Adam Drivers are the MVPs. This really makes me happy, i was hoping Kylo Ren would develop.
    - 3.5 stars out of 4. Claims to be the best New Star Wars

Damn now i really wanna see this.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Last Jedi - There At First.. wait

I don't know what a MovieBob is, but damn I'm excited.

Also, so pissed that I'm not gonna get my FOTK armor up in time for Thursday.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't know what a MovieBob is, but damn I'm excited.

Also, so pissed that I'm not gonna get my FOTK armor up in time for Thursday.
    Bob Chipman is an internet movie, comic and video game reviewer/commentater

What is FOTK?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Bob Chipman is an internet movie, comic and video game reviewer/commentater

What is FOTK?
    First Order stormtrooper. I's in the 501st, and a buddy and I tried to get some of the new armor to troop in for the premiers. It's a very popular time for us. Can't go into a lot of detail, but short version is we should have been done in the spring, but we got horribly screwed by someone else and couldn't even start working on the armor until November.

Huh. And I just now realized i took the 501st thing out of my signature at some point.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-12-12 at 01:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I still liked The Force Awakens. Solid 3.5 out of 5. Fight me, you bastards.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-12-12 at 01:46 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    I liked it too.

I acknowledge it was a rethread of many parts of the original movies. But I didn't held that against it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Looking back on it, my view of The Force Awakens was 'it was okay', so I'd probably give it a straight 5 out of 10. Then again, I liked the Prequels.

I'm planning to avoid the Thursday rush, I'll look into seeing it on Friday or over the weekend. Interested to discover who Rey's parents are, but I'm sure I'll come out hating their choice because it's unlikely to be either of the ones I favour.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

That's good to hear.

- Carrie Fisher and Adam Drivers are the MVPs. This really makes me happy, i was hoping Kylo Ren would develop.
    That... I don't know. I mean Carrie Fisher/Leia, cool, but Kylo... well, he's going to need a lot of development to move past the bad first impression from The Force Awakens with me. Because at this point, I can't take him seriously as a villain, so if anything I'd prefer him to be more marginalized, as unlikely as that was to happen.

- 3.5 stars out of 4. Claims to be the best New Star Wars
    That makes me slightly curious what this particular critic rated Rogue One, for comparison's sake. I'll be surprised if The Last Jedi is actually better than that, personally - pleasantly surprised, obviously, but surprised nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Looking back on it, my view of The Force Awakens was 'it was okay', so I'd probably give it a straight 5 out of 10.
    That's about where I stand too. Not a bad movie overall, but marred by being too much of a rehash, and by Kylo being a poor villain.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2017-12-12 at 03:37 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Interested to discover who Rey's parents are
    Meanwhile, I'm hoping against hope that it doesn't matter and they are nobodies. It's just not interesting to me. She doesn't need to come from some certified stock, she's allowed to be interesting in her own right. She is interesting in her own right. What the hell does it matter who her parents are?

Sadly, with the One Ring lightsaber, it'll probably be a big plot point. Phooey.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is all I wanted/needed to hear! I think it was not a bad move for TFA to be a little bit of a retread, as a little bit of putting the train back on the track. But that only works if the new one isn't a beat by beat ESB copy, so we're in good shape!

My conspiracy theory is that Rey is the child of Cindel from the Ewok tv movies, based solely on the ship in her flashback looking similar to the ship that they escape Endor on. Other than that, I don't really care who her parents are, but that's my issue, not the movie's.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Meanwhile, I'm hoping against hope that it doesn't matter and they are nobodies. It's just not interesting to me. She doesn't need to come from some certified stock, she's allowed to be interesting in her own right. She is interesting in her own right. What the hell does it matter who her parents are?

Sadly, with the One Ring lightsaber, it'll probably be a big plot point. Phooey.
    Theory I support number 2, for the record.

(Number one is that she's indirectly related to a major character, so Obi-Wan Kenobi's great-niece or something even more removed.)
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

In my opinion. It was fine. Not great, but fine. It was more enjoyable than the Prequels by a mile, but it made a fair share of missteps. Too many unnecessary callbacks to the Originals. The main characters all felt fairly flat, except the villain. Finn is supposed to be a child soldier but acts like a Chris Pratt protagonist. I don't think I can get into Rey without causing a whole discussion, but I will just say I did not have the same reaction to her as I had with Han, Leia, and even Luke in the OT. Liked her a lot more than Anakin though, of course.

But most glaring to me the New Republic gets set up and wiped out with too little development, making its destruction seem hollow especially when it was supposed to be a "big event" in the story. Especially glaring since its creation was the main goal of one of the three main characters of the Originals.

It made the whole movie feel like there were no real stakes, right up until Han died. That was a great moment, probably the best in the movie. And unsurprisingly, it focused on Han and Kylo with the protagonists shuttered off in the corner until it was over.

13. - Top - End - #13

I haven't seen the movies yet but I have some prediction, and I am spoiling them because there is a chance that they are correct.

Spoiler: Prediction 1
    Show
    Han and Leia are Ray's parents, that makes Kylo Ren Ray's brother

Spoiler: Prediction 2
    Show
    Luke dies. And he doesn't just die of old age of whatever, he is killed by Ray and Kylo Ren working together

Spoiler: Prediction 3
    Show
    Rey and Kylo Ren will work together and make a "grey" Jedi, in between Jedi and Sith. Then they as a team will go and eventually turn against the first order and destroy them

I'm just making up stuff that could be cool and would be pretty likely of happening
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Everybody here will love it anyway but in summary:

JJ what JJ does and made mystery boxes with nothing inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post

But JJ didn't direct this film. Or have a hand in it either from what I recall.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

JJ Abrams is not the director for Star Wars 8 like he was director for Star Wars 7. Thus no Abram's lens flairs.

The guy who is writting and directing Star Wars 8 is Rian Johnson...you are probably familiar with him directing 3 Breaking Bad Episodes (Ozymandias, Fly, and 51 which deals with Walter's 51st Birthday).

Johnson is also famous for writting 2 Joseph Gordon Levitt movies Brick (noir movie) and Looper (sci fi movie involving time travel).
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    JJ Abrams is not the director for Star Wars 8 like he was director for Star Wars 7.
    I know that. As in Rian said "Oh yeah turns out there was nothing planned so I had to pass the buck back to JJ".
    JJ literally has a Ted Talks about how he makes mystery boxes with nothing in them. The man made LOST for frigs sake.

JJ made the empty boxes and passed the buck for somebody else to fill them. And they couldn't because none of the boxes made sense.
    So instead Rian burnt the boxes down. I find the overall tactic profoundly manipulative because the MAIN skill is making the mystery satisfying, not making the box.
    A little condescending

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    JJ Abrams is not the director for Star Wars 8 like he was director for Star Wars 7. Thus no Abram's lens flairs.
    Praise be!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just back from watching The Last Jedi. It's very late and I need to work tomorrow, but I need to rant a bit.

That may be the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. It's definitely the worst movie I've ever watched in theaters. To be fair, I didn't like The Force Awakens, but on an intellectual level I could recognize there were plenty of good parts to it. Episode 8 was just garbage from start to finish. And that might be an insult to garbage.

The plot is nonsense, the characters behave like complete imbeciles the whole time, and the writers just don't give a damn about how anything works. Even the pacing sucks; this movie takes forever to get going, then it keeps tacking meaningless scenes on at the end. Ugh.

Anyway, I can't stay up to write a spoiler-filled review, but I strongly advise any of you who want to see this movie: wait for a matinee showing. Don't pay full price for this.

-H
    Last edited by Hatu; 2017-12-15 at 01:28 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

There were a lot of parts I loved, and a lot of parts I hated. My main complaint is they a lot of things that happen seem like they were due to nothing more than the writer or director saying, "this would be cool," without putting any additional thought into it. The movie was a rollercoaster for me; there highs were very high, but the lows were incredibly low. If one person said it was fantastic and one said it was horrendous, I could easily see where both are coming from.

I will say that there was one thing that made me incredibly happy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rey's parents are nobodies. Thank god for that. I can't believe I called it.

And one last thing that I don't consider a spoiler, but some may...

Spoiler
    Show
    Poe is so damn annoying. There is very little redeeming about his character. I don't see why they wanted him to have so much focus. The actor may be great, but the character sucks.

21. - Top - End - #21

RogueGuy

As the credits rolled, I turned to my friend and said, "I felt nothing."

I stand by that statement.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I loved it. It is head and shoulders above VII in every way. I am not seeing what there is to complain about this film. I mean was it perfect? No. Then again, I don't really believe any Star Wars film (or any film, really) is perfect. There are always plot holes and contrivances. I honestly think people went in with their minds pre-blown thanks to the early reviews and then were disappointed (which is why you should always avoid reviews before watching a movie you really want to see).

Spoiler: The only scene I did not like
    Show
    Was that idiotic sequence with Leia in space. 100% unnecessary and awful. Completely pulled me out of the film. The scene felt like it was shoe horned in because Fisher passed away. They could have easily just had Leia use the force to push her through the doors to safety before the bridge exploded. We did not need a magic space angel.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2017-12-15 at 03:06 AM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So it was drivel?
    Huh!
    I wondering why the novelisation wasn't going to be released until March next year even that DJ tie in comic isn't out until next month!
    So is this where we give Snyder a hug and tell him it's ok none of his Superman movies are THAT bad?!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

I like The Last Jedi because I like Star Wars it is ok. Why people always try to find a problem? It is one more movie that was created especially for money making. Cool graphics, ok story and nothing else.

25. - Top - End - #25

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    So it was drivel?
    Huh!
    I wondering why the novelisation wasn't going to be released until March next year even that DJ tie in comic isn't out until next month!
    So is this where we give Snyder a hug and tell him it's ok none of his Superman movies are THAT bad?!
    I don't know if I'd call it drivel, but it didn't feel like an emotional work in the way that even TFA did. I had no attachment to any of the new characters introduced in this movie like I did with Finn in the previous one.

Spoiler
    Show
    It didn't help that his "arc" this time around was extremely superfluous and blatant at the same time.

I'm also going to agree with the first "fake-out" death for Leia. That completely took me out of it for the remainder simply because it removed any sense of pathos the scene may have had.

The only time I can recall actually being excited was the Falcon chase through the caves; and even then, it was mostly because it was a callback to the Asteroid field from ESB.

Also, who the actual hell designed those bombers? It's actually somewhat impressive that a vehicle exists now that makes a flipping Y-wing look nimble.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBlade View Post
    I like The Last Jedi because I like Star Wars
    I think its bad because I like star wars. Not sure why the existence of people pointing out its problems threatens your enjoyment.
    A little condescending

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Warning, there are ****SPOILERS***
    I liked it, I would put it a solid 4th in the series after Rogue 1, Empires, and RotJ. I put TFA way back at 7 above the first two prequals but below Revenge of the sith.
    Scenes were beautiful, effects were great. New AT-ATs. Story was pretty solid.

Dislikes
    Kylo- worst bad guy ever. A horrid stereotype of whiny snowflake and hipster in one. He is what torpedoed TFA for me putting it at a 7. When I want a dark lord, I want a dark lord, not some annoying sniveling child. I want someone who radiates evil, not someone who I would expect to see at Star Bucks crying that the milk in his Unicorn mocha cream frapaccino was a degree too warm. Should have been recast. Would have been ok with him dying in between episodes to bring in a new guy.

Hux- Almost as bad as Kylo. No way some childish whelp like this would have the position he has. I miss the Empire of old with its Veers and Piet who at least commanded respect and looked like they could be commanders.

Phasma- After getting a book recently and the last director lamenting that if he would have known Christie would be playing the role he would have had more for her to do, along with them promising she would have more of a role in the new movie, but alas.... Still only redeeming bad guy in the movie.

Actual hints to SPOILERS start here just to give warning although its more technical in nature than actual story spoilers.

Space Bombers? Who thought this was a good idea? Gravity in space? Who thought lightly armored slow moving ships that literally dropped bombs was going to be an effective vessel? They should have saved the resources and pilots and used B and Y wings for bombing duties. Would have been far more effective. Or maybe some kind of mass missile ships that stood off and fired.

How was a simple star fighter blowing up heavy turrets on a ship with its shields up?

Since when do TIE fighters and their commanders care about being covered by capital ships? Why not swarm the rebels with the literal thousands of fighters they had available? Old star destroyers carried something like 72 TIE fighters. These new ones are much bigger(in the books they have complete storm trooper basic training facilities for children on up) and likely able to carry a lot more and that super duper flying wedge makes a star destroyer look like a fighter when its next to it so who knows how many hundreds if not thousands of fighters it can carry.
    Last edited by Corsair14; 2017-12-15 at 10:05 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: The Big Plot Point
    Show
    Rey’s parents are nobodies, but they made that a big plot point!

Rey’s search for her parents was made explicitly called out in wink at the fan speculation. Kylo says she looks for her parents in Han, in Luke, but in fact its nobody. Instead Kylo volunteers to be her surrogate father. All we are missing is the line, “Rey I can be your father.”

This involved something of a fake out that makes the ultimate revelation feel false to me. Kylo Ren says he saw Rey’s parents, at first like this is very meaningful. Then he says they were nobodies in an argument that Rey should join him since she otherwise “has no place in the narrative.”

The whole line of talk is so manipulative, and the ultimate answer is obvious enough anyone in that universe knowing Rey’s background could have guessed it, I don’t feel like we can trust it.

I know that. As in Rian said "Oh yeah turns out there was nothing planned so I had to pass the buck back to JJ".
    JJ literally has a Ted Talks about how he makes mystery boxes with nothing in them. The man made LOST for frigs sake.

JJ made the empty boxes and passed the buck for somebody else to fill them. And they couldn't because none of the boxes made sense.
    So instead Rian burnt the boxes down. I find the overall tactic profoundly manipulative because the MAIN skill is making the mystery satisfying, not making the box.
    I don’t quite understand half the statements here. Are you saying that JJ somehow had this great role in the production or that Rian Johnson tried to ape JJ? From the movie, it appears neither is the case.

However, I think you somehow some up the entire movie with four words here.

Spoiler: Movie in a Box
    Show
    Basically, Episode VII left us with plenty of mystery boxes and Rian went one by one and burned the boxes down.

First Jedi temple....nothing significant! Yoda burns it just to show Skywalker it wasn’t important.

Rey’s parents? Nobodies! Its literally not important since they are just average junk dealers who abandoned her.

Who is Snoke? It doesn’t matter anymore, he’s dead.

How about Phasma? Apparently she is still just a storm trooper with a unique fashion sense.

Kylo Ren’s inner struggle? He ends up the new Supreme Leader but Luke said that no one is beyond saving. If we ever cared about Ben Solo in the first place, do we really care anymore?

Everything JJ Abrams built with Episode VII, every lose thread he left, all of it has been burned down or cut off. Episode IX will have to be made from scratch because there’s no mysteries left.

Thank you for inspiring this summation of what the entire movie accomplished and what it means for future installments.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    So it was drivel?
    Huh!
    No! Its still not that bad. Also Snyder’s mess has left behind a lot of debris that will haunt future DC movies. Johnson had the good manners to clean up after his mess (see above).
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2017-12-15 at 09:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I don’t quite understand half the statements here. Are you saying that JJ somehow had this great role in the production or that Rian Johnson tried to ape JJ? From the movie, it appears neither is the case.
    JJ was a creative consultant and a Executive producer.

What I meant is that there never was an answer. JJ didn't say "Well here are the awesome answers to my mysteries" and then Rian says "Nah, Il just burn them down!"
    JJ is a manipulative writer. He NEVER has the answers as to whats in the boxes. Thats literally what he says in his Ted Talks.
    My point is that I can't fault Rian for not being able to open the Mystery boxes successfully because they where filled with lies.

TFA was built apon those mystery boxes. The promise it would make ANY sense later, so give us your money NOW.
    If Rian could make those boxes work he would be superhuman, and I would say the best writer of the decade. But I can't fault him for being not.
    A little condescending

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

If anyone's interested , the Rotten Tomatoes reviews are incoming. Strangely, there is a great discrepancy between the professional reviewers and the audience. The professional reviewers give it a 93% rating -- the audience, only 62%.

ETA: Corsair14, if you have a spoiler to share, I suggest you put it in a spoiler block. It's left bracket, followed by spoiler, followed by right bracket. You end it at the bottom with [ /spoiler ]

Like this:

[ spoiler ]
    Trim out the spaces in the boxes to get ...

[ /spoiler]

And it looks like this:

Spoiler
    Show

And it looks like this:

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2017-12-15 at 10:35 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl