Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 41668182838485868788899091
Results 2,701 to 2,721 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #2701
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 1328

It is impossible to refuse that penalty and it is also impossible to hit anyone but the intended target with a ranged attack.
    But why? I don't get such penalty if two of my enemies are locked in battle, and if I don't consider someone in my party my ally, I should not be penalized for that attack.

2. - Top - End - #2702
    Ettin in the Playground

We cannot guess what the intentions where when the authors wrote the rules. We can only tell what they wrote.

Additionally the rules do not really support three way battles either. Making more "sensible" houserules is beyond the scope of this thread.

3. - Top - End - #2703
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Q -
    I want to play a rogue in my d&d group; GM did allow us to slightly modify our characters/classes. Don't want my rogue to wear any kind of armor and get some kind of AC bonus instead. How should I do that? INT to AC like in Invisible Blade's unfettered defense?

Q -
    Same character. Want to be able to do sneak attack without a flanking partner if everyone goes solo to spread the search for goals, which happens quite often. Is there a way I can deny Dex to AC for all the sneak attacks I do in my turn, and not only for the first one, through attacking first? Maybe Uncanny Feint? Camouflage+HiPS hide between every single sting?

Q -
    Question about skillmonkeying: Why is the factotum considered a better skillmonkey class than rogue? Just curious. Is it because "skillmonkey" means to be able to use all skills? And factotum can use all lvl1 skills + Cunning knowledge?

Answer to the poster below me:
    Ok, I'm sorry. I'll repost it in a separate thread.
    Last edited by Shin; 2012-11-12 at 11:29 AM.

4. - Top - End - #2704
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1329-1331 are beyond the scope of the RAW thread. Please post them in a separate thread.

5. - Top - End - #2705
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    I think Vaern interpreted "knowledge of the spell contained therein" as meaning having the spell on the list of known spells for the user. This indeed is unnecessary. You do need to which spell(s) the staff has available however.
    What he said. My question is assuming that an identify spell has already been used on the staff being activated, or that it was purchased from an NPC who had sufficiently informed the character of the staff's abilities. The spells contained within a wand or staff do not need to be on the character's "spells known" list, only his class spell list.

6. - Top - End - #2706
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Question3 1332, 1333, 1334, and 1335

Size changes a lot of things about various items and gear: damage on weapons, Weight things that can be sized, etc. But what I want to know is how this pertains to armor and shields.
    Q1332
    How does the size of the creature using it effect the cost to purchase a piece of armor or a shield? I mean, feasibly, the fact that a small-sized suit of armor uses less material would reduce the cost to create it, but at the same time, smaller armor may be more difficult to create with the level of quality one finds in a medium suit of armor, increasing the DR, and countering the loss in cost.
    Q1333
    Which leads to the second question: Does being small or large sized change the qualities of a suit of armor (AC bonus, Check penalty, etc.) due to the difference in quality inherent in the size? (Small armor being more difficult to apply finer details to, and Large armor being easier)
    Q1334
    How does a difference in size change the effect of things like shields? Does a larger shield offer a greater AC bonus? And what about Tower shiled cover? I had a Half Ogre character that bought a tower shield from a smith that "Might have been the Smithy's Door, re-purposed as a shield". Such a size modifier seems like it would allow a smaller fighter to take full cover, rather than half cover, behind that shield, or the shield-bearing warrior.
    Q1335
    If a character has the Feat, "Monkey Grip" allowing for use of over-sized weapons, does it follow that they would be able to wield an over-sized shield as well? (Imagining my half Ogre with a re-purposed Barn Door as a Huge sized shield) :)

7. - Top - End - #2707
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Question3 1332, 1333, 1334, and 1335

A 1332

See the Armor For Unusual Creatures table here for the answer.

A 1333 No.

A 1334 No.

A 1335 No.

The feat would allow using a larger shield as a main hand bashing weapon, but would not affect defensive shield use.

8. - Top - End - #2708
    Banned

Goblin

Q1336

Does Kensai's ignature Weapon bonus stacks with bonuses granted from Vow of Poverty? Say it's an Unarmed Strike for example - would it work?

9. - Top - End - #2709
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1336 No.

Both Signature Weapon and Exalted Strike provide enhancement bonuses. Bonuses of the same type do not stack.

10. - Top - End - #2710
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 1337

If a ghost who has manifested attacks with a magic+1 ghost touch weapon, does it ignore an opponent's physical armor?

For reference - I'm reading Monster Manual 3 pp 117-118: "A manifested ghost can pass through solid objects at will, and its own attacks pass through armor." and later "A weapon of +1 or beter magical enhancement, however, can harm material creatures when the ghost manifests, but any such attack has a 50% chance to fail unless the weapon is a ghost touch weapon."

I'm hoping this is a simple yes and I'm just being stupid, but it seems contradictory to me for the ghost touch weapon to ignore armor (presumably by becoming incorporeal) and then injure the opponent (by becoming corporeal again?). My apologies if this has been asked before - new to the forum, searched around, and couldn't find an answer.
    Last edited by Velorian; 2012-11-13 at 12:55 PM.

11. - Top - End - #2711
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1338

I take a Ranger Substitution Level 2, swapping out combat style for something else, meaning I don't get to choose Two-Weapon Fighting or Rapid Shot. When I reach level 6 I take a normal Ranger Level. Do I get a choice between Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Manyshot or Two-Weapon Fighting or Rapid Shot? In other words, does the first stage of Combat Style now start at level 6 or can I skip on to the next one?
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

12. - Top - End - #2712
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 1336 No.

Both Signature Weapon and Exalted Strike provide enhancement bonuses. Bonuses of the same type do not stack.
    Clarification: While adding an enhancement bonus to the signature weapon wouldn't stack with the bonus from VoP the special abilities added to the signature weapon would still function normally.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

13. - Top - End - #2713
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1339

Can the Talontar Blightlord PrC's 10th lvl ability to become a plant (Unapproachable East 34) be used with the Arcane Hierophant PrC's 6th lvl ability to deliver spells from plants (Races of the Wild 108)?

Blightlord's text says "her type changes to 'plant'", and Hierophant's text says "conduit between yourself and a natural, nonanimated plant (but not creatures of the plant type)". I'm not sure about how the differences between type: plant, type: creature (plant subtype), and type: plant (but really a creature) work from the wording of the two classes.

Q 1340

If Blightlord's class ability doesn't work, is there another way to play a plant character that Hierophant will work with? (template, class, wildshape, something?)

14. - Top - End - #2714
    Troll in the Playground

Q 1341

Can the Greater Acid Assault Crystal inflict a -1 AC penalty on a hit even if the target has acid resistance 6 or higher?
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2012-11-13 at 06:06 PM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

15. - Top - End - #2715
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Clarification: While adding an enhancement bonus to the signature weapon wouldn't stack with the bonus from VoP the special abilities added to the signature weapon would still function normally.
    So, If I understand this correctly

Q1400

Can Kensai grant his Signature Weapon other bonuses than +X to attack?

16. - Top - End - #2716
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q 1341: When does a creature called by the spell gate during a fight gets its first action?
    Last edited by Nasst; 2012-11-13 at 06:35 PM.

17. - Top - End - #2717
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    So, If I understand this correctly

Q1400

Can Kensai grant his Signature Weapon other bonuses than +X to attack?
    Yes. In fact after he's imbued the weapon with a +5 enhancement bonus, he has to start adding other abilities.

Note that he's not under any obligation to apply any enhancement greater than +1 before adding specials.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-11-13 at 06:10 PM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

18. - Top - End - #2718
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1342

Can the spell Phoenix Fire (BoED) be cast by a character with the Ardent Dilettante's 10th level ability to not lose a level when dying (PlH 55)?

19. - Top - End - #2719
    Halfling in the Playground

A1337

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by d20SRD.org
    Ghost Touch

A ghost touch weapon deals damage normally against incorporeal creatures, regardless of its bonus. (An incorporeal creature’s 50% chance to avoid damage does not apply to attacks with ghost touch weapons.) The weapon can be picked up and moved by an incorporeal creature at any time. A manifesting ghost can wield the weapon against corporeal foes. Essentially, a ghost touch weapon counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder.
    (Emphasis mine).

Characters:
    Adventuring School: Irian

20. - Top - End - #2720
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q 1343

Does the feat Pain Mastery from Savage Species grant you its bonus for every 50 hp you loss, regardless of the attacks? or does it have to come from a single attack?
    Does the strength bonuses stack?

21. - Top - End - #2721
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: This thread has exceeded the allowable length. Please use the new version: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post14219690
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex