New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Vecna-Kal, City of Wonder, City of Magic (5e) [IC]

Crall
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyStrike View Post
    She smiles at Crall, and nods to the tray. "They didn't have your favorite so I took ginger-tea instead."
    I smile, taking the mug. "Always so thoughtful, Nirah. We can tackle the flame thing first, if that's what people here want to do. Igni, since you're supposed to give answers to hard questions, tell me this- is a fire spirit the kind of problem you solve with an axe, or with a hammer?"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Who might you be then? The next spellslinger I presume?"
    Igni fixes the new face with his finest smirk, and of course, offers a maximum-integrity handshake.

"Hi there Nirah, did I hear that right? Nirah? Glad you could join us. Name's Igni, Igni Fuhrersson, Master Wizard, charmed."

"Is a fire spirit the kind of problem you solve with an axe, or with a hammer?"
    "Like every problem, Crall, we're going to solve it with information." I rub my hands together eagerly (while simultaneously maintaining the proffered handshake, how's that strike you?). "I need to know more before venturing a professional opinion. Who runs that district? Why haven't they made a lot of noise if this creature has been rampaging? Is no one losing any money from lost time? I doubt, further, that the people who live and work there see this as a holiday. Why aren't they up in arms over the inability of whomever's in charge to fix this? Regarding the spirit itself~"

Now that he's not talking about money, Igni hesitates. Who wants to venture an insight roll against deception (1d20+5)[6] to call him on the following horse crap?

"Uh, we need to know what kind of spirit it is. Is it infernal, terrestrial, sabbatical? Maybe, yes, maybe a minor elemental has developed a revolutionary mindset and broken free of the repressive enslavement of the forge fires. Point is, we don't know, and we can't find out from here." So, I finish with a flourish, "I propose we go find it, and look at it from the safest distance we can muster. It might be we don't need a hammer or an axe, but a wet blanket."
    The Butt. The Myth. The Legend.

Live Characters:
    Igni Fuhrersson, Level 3 Sorceror | IC | OOC

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sivarias View Post
    Spoiler: Bean
    Show
    Waiting on Zemzemmett to state whether or not he's still holding the bag or willing to work with you
    Zemzelett is happy to oblige royalty, and even tries to assist by drawing upon the snippets of rumor and tall tales he heard as a Bard.

General untrained d20: (d20+1)[2]. Sure, third natural one in this game. Why not? ;P
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2017-12-07 at 07:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zergrinch View Post
    Zemzelett is happy to oblige royalty.
    General untrained d20: [roll0]
    Ratteling objects (If the person that has them wants some collaborating with it?) [roll2]
    While there is a clear magical aura about the bag, nothing else can be determined. You were able to open the bag however and find yourself looking at 6 beans that seem to roll around on their own, regardless of how the bag is tilted.
    You can call me Sivarias or Siv.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A glimmer of the boy Zem once was (a lifetime ago) faded as the examination of the rattling bag only yielded six strange beans. The disappointment is writ large on the half-elf's face, as he contemplates whether the beans are at least edible.

"Um, I guess we can each have a bean?" Zem avers, as he gives the elf, three humans, and the half-orc one bean each.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2017-12-07 at 09:37 PM.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

"That wet blanket suggestion is an excellent one, Igni. We should probably all make sure our water skins are filled before we set off, in case we need to pull something like that in the field."

After Zemzelett divides the beans, Amerah remembers he other items looted from last night's excursion.

"We should probably also distribute those arrows before we head out. You never know what caliber of gear we might need to kill that fire thing. I think that Alwyn, Nirah, and myself are the only ones to use bows? We should each take 3. Crall should perhaps take the extra, in case he needs to stab things with it when his other weapons aren't working."

Although Amerah generally preferred to steer clear of doing magic herself, experience with Nirah and the stories swapped by guild members had taught her that it was sometimes the best or only effective solution to a problem, and having a little bit on your side never hurt.

"Does that seem agreeable to everyone?"
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-12-08 at 01:26 AM. Reason: add quotation marks
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Igni looks at the bean and bounces it in his hand.

"Not much of a meal, this. I hope Amerah is in charge of the rations on this venture and not you, Zem." Then I hand it back. "Hang on to this for me, Mr. Gemblossom; I'm liable to put it down somewhere and forget about it or absentmindedly eat it."

Live Characters:

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"Well met master wizard, I sure hope it's not a sabbatical spirit. That would just be terrible" Nirah said as she smiled a sweet, but sly, smile and accepted the handshake.

"Hope you stick around long enough to give these items a serious inspection." She added as she wrapped up her work.

She scribbled some notes on a parchment, and left it on the table with the items. Then she got up and walked to her room, but left her door open so she could continue hearing the crews discussions.

Amongst some decorations was a hook that had a fine looking scabbard hanging from it. It held a rapier, and Nirah proceeded to buckle the weapon around her waist. Beside her hammock was a small dressoir, with a bowl of water on it. She dipped both hands in it and splashed some in her face, then dried her hands in her hair as she tied it into a tight ponytail.
    The cloak and gloves followed her into the room, obediently awaiting instructions. Nirah told it a sentence or two and it walked off towards the communal bathroom.

As she walked out of her room she grabbed a short bow and a quiver with arrows by the door. She joined the group just as Amerah finished her proposal of the arrows.

"Sounds good to me. But I'll take two and you take four." She said to Amerah. Nirah knew Amerah could fire off these things twice as fast as her, even though she'd never admit to it to her face.

"You can use the extra ammunition trying to hit things out there." She said dryly.

"And try not to accidentally shoot the team wizard again." She said as she walked towards the door.

Just then the unseen servant came out carrying a barrel of water, and joined her. "I have about 45 minutes left with this guy." She indicated the servant with a nod. "So are you all ready to head out?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, I certainly am.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

As you trek through the city to the District of Clay, you tense up as you leave the District of Guilds, the unspoken protection of home leaving you behind. With the early morning sun having now given way to pre-noon day, you would expect to see more hustle and bustle.It’s eerily silent however. What’s more concerning is you aren’t accosted even once while on your way. There are a few people hurrying about, along with the occasional person skulking in the shadows, however the Brass District seems unusually subdued. The moans and groans of the undead can be heard occasionally from open manholes and what - you hope - are unoccupied houses.

After a half hour’s jaunt the telltale signs of the District of Clay lie before you. Soot raining from the sky from great furnaces that never sleep in the center of their massive warehouses. A thin layer soon covers your skin, painting everything grey and white. This District seems alive at least, but the signs of fear are everywhere: people only traveling in packs, quick furtive glances over shoulders, the occasional jump and scream as a billow of fire snakes from the top of a warehouse.

The homes themselves sit in between the massive building, small and hunched like their owner. In the distance, you can see the great river Enduin making it’s way through the brass district. The bed home to various river life, as well as the clay that gave the district it’s name.

A small girl dashes out of an alley, a friend or sister trying and failing to snatch her up before she gets too far away, a look of concern on her face.

I’m Lily, have you come to help me find my cat?

Her eyes shown with the hope of the youthful, she clutched at Igni’s pants, the halfling girl’s head just barely clearing his knee

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

“Sorry, sweetie” I say. ”We’re on our way to kill a demon, but after that we can. As long as we’re still alive, that is.”

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zemzelett crouched down so he is eye-level with the girl. With a slight smile on his face, he says, "Tell you what, Lily. Why don't you tell me what Ashes looks like, and the place you saw her last? If we find her, I'll bring her back to you right away, okay?"
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2017-12-09 at 01:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Crall

Crall strikes an imposing figure as he moves through the Clay district. Two handaxes hang from his right hip, and a massive greataxe swings freely at his left. He casually rests a seven-foot long glaive on his shoulder, the top sheathed in soft leather.

As the small halfling girl dashes up to the group, I look around for her parents. Noticing her older friend/sister staring out of the alleyway, I walk over, doing my best to appear nonthreatening. "Hello there. Don't worry about your friend- those people might look scary, but they're fine."

I lean against the wall, a few feet away from the girl. "But while your friend is busy, I have a question. There's a fire... thing. It's somewhere around here. It's hurting people. Can you tell me about it? How big is it, and where did it come from?"
    Last edited by Waxpapers; 2017-12-09 at 11:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Amused, Nirah stood back and watched as Igni, Zem and Crall handled the children.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waxpapers View Post
    Crall

Crall strikes an imposing figure as he moves through the Clay district. Two handaxes hang from his right hip, and a massive greataxe swings freely at his left. He casually rests a seven-foot long glaive on his shoulder, the top sheathed in soft leather.

As the small halfling girl dashes up to the group, I look around for her parents. Noticing her older friend/sister staring out of the alleyway, I walk over, doing my best to appear nonthreatening. "Hello there. Don't worry about your friend- those people might look scary, but they're fine."

I lean against the wall, a few feet away from the girl. "But while your friend is busy, I have a question. There's a fire... thing. It's somewhere around here. It's hurting people. Can you tell me about it? How big is it, and where did it come from?"
    As you get closer, you realize that she's older, but not by much. The difference in size was due to racial differences more than anything. The human before you stares up at you with the haughty teenage glare of every pre-teen and teenage girl everywhere.

"Well that's the problem isn't it? No one has caught a good glimpse of it. Everyone only ever sees the scorch marks it leaves behind. Some idiots think its just a mephit playing tricks, but we see those all the time, and they can't do that.

She points to the wall behind her, where the clear outline of two humanoid bodies in black scorch lay. The space where they must have stood was the normal dingy grey of the walls around them. The immediate surrounding was a black halo. Looking around, you could see other signs that this was the area of an attack. Intermittent circles of black scorch dotted the alley. Sides of boxes, cobblestones, melted trashed, and what looked like a scorched food bowl were scattered everywhere.

Spoiler: On colors
    Show
    Generic Female

Generic Male
    Last edited by Sivarias; 2017-12-10 at 12:38 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Spoiler: Tween Girl
    Show
    As you get closer, you realize that she's older, but not by much. The difference in size was due to racial differences more than anything. The human before you stares up at you with the haughty teenage glare of every pre-teen and teenage girl everywhere.

"Well that's the problem isn't it? No one has caught a good glimpse of it. Everyone only ever sees the scorch marks it leaves behind. Some idiots think its just a mephit playing tricks, but we see those all the time, and they can't do that.

She points to the wall behind her, where the clear outline of two humanoid bodies in black scorch lay. The space where they must have stood was the normal dingy grey of the walls around them. The immediate surrounding was a black halo. Looking around, you could see other signs that this was the area of an attack. Intermittent circles of black scorch dotted the alley. Sides of boxes, cobblestones, melted trashed, and what looked like a scorched food bowl were scattered everywhere.

Spoiler: On colors
    Show
    Generic Female

Generic Male

Amerah walked over, and then looked back at Lily before asking her sister "Do you know if the demon has gone after animals, or just people?"
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Amerah walked over, and then looked back at Lily before asking her sister "Do you know if the demon has gone after animals, or just people?"
    It might be going after animals, who even knows. The only reason we know it's going after people is the mess it leaves behind.

She rolls her eyes and looks away.
    Last edited by Sivarias; 2017-12-15 at 03:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Crall
    It might be going after animals, who even knows. The only reason we know it's going after people is the mess it leaves behind.

She rolls her eyes and looks away.
    I grunt thoughtfully. "Do you know where it is now? Can you take us to it?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waxpapers View Post
    Crall

I grunt thoughtfully. "Do you know where it is now? Can you take us to it?"

If anyone knew don't you think we'd grab a guard or something. The thing's hiding ALL THE TIME. Anyway, if you're here to handle it, can't you, like, track it or something?
    Last edited by Sivarias; 2017-12-15 at 03:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

And as soon as anyone says “track”, they look at the ranger. All right, all right.” He sets off to find the monster.
    Perception to track: (1d20+4)[21]

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

"Well that was a waste of time, Amerah whispers to Cram. "It looks like Alwyn's decided she's done. We should follow or keep her back, there's no sense in getting split up."

She walks back to Nirah and Zem and gestured for Alwyn and Crall to return for a brief huddle. "Does anyone have any ideas for how we can find this thing? It seems like there might be a very confusing trail here in the middle of the brass district, but since this is the brass district, so there can't be that many unoccupied places for this thing to hide: probably just the sewers and a few warehouses. So should we start busting into warehouses or diagramming the tracks?

We could also try talking to the people who issued the contract, in case they know anything more."
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-12-12 at 11:47 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Um, I think we should investigate further? Look for other attack sites? Maybe we can plot it all on a map, and see if there are any patterns?
    Now Playing

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Igni snaps out of his reverie.

"Um, I think we should investigate further? Look for other attack sites? Maybe we can plot it all on a map, and see if there are any patterns?"
    "That's genius, Zem." I pull a parchment and quill out of my entirely-legit, not-suspicious-at-all pouch of creative tools. "If anyone's got a map we can get right on that."

I’m Lily, have you come to help me find my cat?
    I kneel down to look the little girl in the eye. "I'm afraid not, young lady, but we promise to look for it while we're here." A clever idea strikes. "Young lady, maybe you can help us help you." I point at the large building dominating the skyscape, "Can you tell me who owns that big building there, and what happens in it?"

Live Characters:

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sunnybutt View Post
    "I'm afraid not, young lady, but we promise to look for it while we're here." A clever idea strikes. "Young lady, maybe you can help us help you." I point at the large building dominating the skyscape, "Can you tell me who owns that big building there, and what happens in it?"
    Tears brim in Lily's eyes as she looks up at Igni

It's one of the primary warehouses. There are two more down on the river proper, and another on the other side.

Zemzelett crouched down so he is eye-level with the girl. With a slight smile on his face, he says, "Tell you what, Lily. Why don't you tell me what Ashes looks like, and the place you saw her last? If we find her, I'll bring her back to you right away, okay?"
    Lily brightens at Zem's words, the tears drying up quickly.

She's cute and fluffy, and I think she might be orange. Sometimes it's hard to tell with all the dirt and stuff she wipes away some of the grime on her arm absently.

Grabbing onto Zem's arm, she starts tugging him through the small knot of Amerah, Nirah, and Alwyn and towards the ally where Crall and the girl are talking.

This used to be her favorite spot but I haven't seen her in a while.

The smile faded from her face and she starts to tear up again.

I've been leaving out fish for her but Ashes just won't come home.

Lily starts crying in earnest.
    Last edited by Sivarias; 2017-12-14 at 06:46 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheArcaneCaster View Post
    And as soon as anyone says “track”, they look at the ranger. All right, all right.” He sets off to find the monster.
    Perception to track: [roll0]
    Spoiler: Tracking Results
    Show

Inspecting the Ally proves to be a both useful and useless. Somehow simultaneously. There are the obvious tracks of people through the ash and clay of the ally, as well as animal and possibly demon. The problem are the scorch marks made everywhere, some are ancient and almost seem part of the stone, and some aren't even 48 hours old yet,
    and clearly there's variety.

Suddenly the enormity of what you are trying to do hits you. There are 3 distinct types of burn pattern here, pointing to 3 types of "fire-spirits" that could be chased just from this spot alone. One of those types looks like it might belong to a group or individual.

Spoiler: Secondary Check
    Show
    Anyone you who knows the above can roll Nature, Investigation, or Arcana to learn more about an individual type

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Alwyn
    Hmmm... three distinct patterns. I wonder...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Investigation and Nature check:
    (1d20+2)[22]
    (1d20+2)[16]

Spoiler
    Show
    First nat 20!
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2017-12-14 at 10:12 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I've been leaving out fish for her but Ashes just won't come home.

Lily starts crying in earnest.
    Not really expecting much from the endeavor, but humoring Lily all the same, Zemzelett gives the cat's favorite spot a thorough examination for anything out of the ordinary.

Investigation: (d20+1)[15]
    Now Playing

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheArcaneCaster View Post
    Alwyn
    Investigation and Nature check:
    Spoiler: Investigation
    Show
    All three burn patterns are definitely magical in nature, there's no chance that any of this is from an old house fire or something. One set of burns is always on the walls and it's extremely intermittent almost like a wizard throwing fireballs, you'd have to see a wizard throw fire to confirm it though.

The middle set of scorch marks all seem to be around curious stone droppings. They remind you of stone that was liquid and then cooled. Even more curiously, sometimes it's surrounded by soot, but most of the time it isn't.

The final set of burn patterns is extremely curious. Intermittently up and down the ally, large radii of burns can be seen, as if random explosions are going on. You can tell that whatever has caused them has been here many times before. Even more curiously, it doesn't stick to the ground. Sometimes it's on crates or walls. You can vaguely see that whatever it is seems to be chasing a small animal.

Spoiler: Nature
    Show
    No animal you know of leaves the burn patterns seen of the 1st and 3rd type. But the second defiantly belong to a mephit, maybe several.

Not really expecting much from the endeavor, but humoring Lily all the same, Zemzelett gives the cat's favorite spot a thorough examination for anything out of the ordinary.

Investigation: [roll0]
    Spoiler: Investigation
    Show
    Examining the dish closely and dish surrounding area closely, you find that the dish is almost dead center in a small explosion area. If Ashes had been eating there when it happened she would have been vaporized. You can see tracks all up and down the ally, they seem about the right size for a cat, but you'd have to ask someone else to be sure.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The half elf's face darkens as he realizes that more likely than not, Ashes is... well... nothing but ashes at this point. Not that he'll ever tell that to the Halfling girl.

Though, one part of him feels it's more merciful to rip the scar tissue off so that the wound would heal, instead of keeping vain hope alive, he doesn't have it in him to crush the girl's hopes in so brutal a fashion.

Unsure of what to do next, Zemzelett wordlessly puts an arm around the little girl, and guides her back towards the others. Maybe Mr. Igni would know what to do, so the Bard consults with the Sorcerer using Minor Illusion to whisper in his ear.

(Igni now knows what Lily told Zem and what he discovered in the spoiler box)
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2017-12-15 at 08:00 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Igni casts Message.

Spoiler: Message: Zem
    Show

"That sucks, Zem. This isn't the last time she's going to have to deal with loss, so she better get used to it. Telling her will make us uncomfortable, but will be a real disservice to the girl. Maybe, though, we can soften the blow. Make an illusion of Ashes ascending to the Celestial Plane of kittens, to provide closure. Think it would work?"

Live Characters: