New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Erfworld 11 - The Discussion Thread

It seemed to me that Janis was charmed. Then again maybe she's just been sharing some halfling weed with Gandalf... but anyway, it looked like Sizemore took Janis's bag.

Maybe Hippiemancers can teach you how to charm people or just put them into a "flakey" state... after learning how, Sizemore put her into a charm or flaked her out... that's why he would tell her she's a good teacher.

All I know is that these comics are starting to irritate me. I don't feel like I'm left on the edge of my seat but more left in the dark. Maybe there will be a prologue that goes back and explains... like in Record of Lodoss Wars... but I have a feeling that I'm guessing wrong
    No it's not that, it's Dan backwards, jeeze!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Hippiemancers?

Awesome! Bring on the Flower Power and the 'Groovy Peace Pipe', man!
    I will reap your cheese!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm going to reserve comment until Erfworld 15...
    Sebastian Bux
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Posting may provoke attacks of opportunity

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Did anybody else notice that the hippiemancers gave Sizemore ... the munchies? I love this comic! I don't get half the jokes until later, but I LOVE this strip!!!

*giggles and skips away*
    Bwaha! I have deep-seated emotional problems! Die! Die! Die!

Games Workshop: Miniatures First. Rules Second. Clarity Last

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

The "Mighty Wind" quote made me laugh and giggle so as to disturb my neighbors. That I would find a reference to that in a gaming comic pleases and amuses me to no end. Yay!

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Nad View Post
    It seemed to me that Janis was charmed. Then again maybe she's just been sharing some halfling weed with Gandalf... but anyway, it looked like Sizemore took Janis's bag.

Maybe Hippiemancers can teach you how to charm people or just put them into a "flakey" state... after learning how, Sizemore put her into a charm or flaked her out... that's why he would tell her she's a good teacher.
    actually i think you have that reversed. i think he was handing her a bag of money, the 20 Rand he said she deserved for teaching him. due to the static animation of the comic, its kinda hard to tell, but thats what i inferrred. also, he was telling her she was a good teacher, although he didnt learn anything, because he is weak and spineless (see bio) and thats what people like that do. they tend to be apologetic and complimenting, assuming that whatever went wrong was their fault.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ezbez View Post
    Okay, I've enjoyed this one. Hippiemancers made me laugh, and the magic kingdom was rather comical. Is that gowbin knob there in the center?
    I tend to assume that Gobwin Knob isn't in the magic kingdom, and hence isn't on that map.

Evidence:
    1)
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0005.html
    "I've been to the Magic Kingdom" is a silly thing to say if Gobwin Knob is in the Magic Kingdom.

2) Portal Park not being very far implies that they will next go through some sort of magical portal.

DougL

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

(sigh)... Why do I have visions of the Young Ones playing Trivial Pursuit now?
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Argh, I'm still confused... So the Hippiemancers are druids, right? But we're not coming from a D&D reference... Seems I don't play enough RPGs to know what the heck this comic's on about.

Still. I'm giving it a chance.
    --

Meta Knight avatar courtesy of Connor DarkDart.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

Sigh, just when I say I'll give it more of a chance....

I did say that I would wait it out though, so I will forgive this episode and wait and see how it was (hopefully) necessary for the progression of the story.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

I liked it. I missed the "Mighty Wind" joke, but then again, I didn't actually see the movie. I like that the jokes work on many levels, and I've played enough RTS/TBS games to get those jokes, and enough RPGs to get those, just not all of the movie jokes.

I guess I need to pump more ranks into knowledge (popular culture).
    Just a note, I enjoy mixing d20 Modern with D&D
    ███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    ███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    ███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

"We are Legion. … Our numbers will darken the sky of every world." - Sovereign/Nazara, Mass Effect
    "Good. Then we will fight in the shade." - Dienekes, Histories 7.226

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azukar View Post
    Argh, I'm still confused... So the Hippiemancers are druids, right? But we're not coming from a D&D reference... Seems I don't play enough RPGs to know what the heck this comic's on about.
    FWIW, I've only played a couple of RPG's (literally a couple, not 'a couple' as in twelve) and that was some time ago, and I've played almost no RTS / whatever, and I still seem to be getting what it's about to the extent that I'm not clear what there is not to get. As far as the humour goes, it seems to be more about having a specific sort of sense of humour rather than knowing a particular sort of game. And the story seems to be more about not being bothered that certain things aren't immediately explained and following the plot on its own terms. What's confusing you?

Oh, and people seem to be talking about 'bad guys' again, but I've still not seen Stanley's mob doing anything much more evil than not being blond haired and blue eyed...

Specific to the latest comic, I love the way that (afaict) Sizemore seems to be a dirtomancer who's tried to learn some hippiemancy and although his heart's in the right place, from the looks of him he's just been too 'square' to really get it. And he knows it.

And yes, I'm guessing that the portal park is the thing in the middle of the island by which you travel to and from the magic kingdom.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Azukar View Post

Still. I'm giving it a chance.
    I see no reason to assume Hippiemancers are Druids or anything like Druids.

14. - Top - End - #44

well, if you assume druid means the nature based battle cleric from dnd or the warlike magic-users of celtic society, then yes there is no reason to call them druids. but if you assume that druids are nature loving, free spirits (much like modern druidism is, iirc) then hippiemancers are very much like druids. not saying that they are, just that its possible to assume such.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Closed Account

Druids are tree huggers. And I'm sure Hippiemancers hug something.

Though they are most likely different things.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Teatime View Post
    Am I the only one who thought of Janis Joplin when they saw the instructor?
    Nope. You are not alone in that.

Hmm. This one and number 12 (which just came up as I write this) are a bit confusing to me. Well, this one is anyway.

Still love the comic and I'm sure I'll get it better as more pages are published.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Originally posted by Doshi
    Iron Fist Orc, according to the cast page, Sizemore is a member of the "(nearly lost) Plaid tribe." So maybe he's working for the Plaid tribe simply because he was born into the Plaid tribe.
    Oh, yes ... Tribes ... well at least I was the first to bring up the "opposing color/magic" wheel that was completely obvious...

Originally posted by Mr Wizard
    Findamancer

Predictamancer

Lookamancer: From page 8 "...Because you have no Lookamancers."-Jillian
    I wonder if "Lookamancer" is slang for Findamancers and/or Predictamancers.
    Nod. Get treat.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    I see no reason to assume Hippiemancers are Druids or anything like Druids.
    They have power derived from flowers? They are perhaps fueled by the use of certain weeds?

Hippiemancers get paid in Rands while lookamancers get paid in Schmuckers? I'm betting there's an Ayn Rand joke that I'm missing because I know nothing of her philosophies.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrossP View Post
    Hippiemancers get paid in Rands while lookamancers get paid in Schmuckers? I'm betting there's an Ayn Rand joke that I'm missing because I know nothing of her philosophies.
    I find it hard to equate Rand to hippies, to my mind she's the anti-hippy. Which might in itself say something. IIRC though the rand is currently the currency of South Africa.

Schmucker means nothing to me.
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett