New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Post Overpowered melee feats

Hello, Shock Trooper and Leap Attack are considered overpowered, but I believe I can't squeze them out to their full power. Could you provide some examples of using theese feats in conjunction with tome of battle feats, stances and maneuvers?
    Last edited by Freespacer; 2012-10-31 at 05:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Overpowered melee feats

Quote Originally Posted by Freespacer View Post
    Hello, Shock Trooper and Leap Attack are considered overpowered, but I believe I can't squeze them out to their full power. Could you provide some examples of using theese feats in conjunction with tome of battle feats, stances and maneuvers?
    Most charger builds somehow acquire Pounce. That makes a charge with maximized Power attack much more devastating, especially, if you get more than one attack at your highest AB (haste, whirling frenzy etc.).
    Then get a valorous weapon for double damage on a charge (yes that is all attacks).
    The leading the Charge Stance adds your IL in damage.
    Battle leader's/War Leader's Charge adds another +10/+35 damage and removes AoOs for movement
    War Master's Charge +50/+25 damage on a charge for you/your allies, +2 to attack, no AoOs against you and your allies, if you and at least one ally hit a target it is stunned for one round.

There are a couple more I'm sure.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

The 2nd level maneuver wall of blades comes to mind. It allows you to roll as if attacking and use the result as your AC. Very handy after you dumped your AC using shock trooper.

Basically, any maneuver that gives you extra defensive measures is awesome - this is because as an ubercharger, you will not be lacking for damage. It's also probably a good idea to grab at least 1 or 2 strikes for when you can't charge (after wasting a couple of important NPC's in one round might be most of the time).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Most charger builds somehow acquire Pounce. That makes a charge with maximized Power attack much more devastating, especially, if you get more than one attack at your highest AB (haste, whirling frenzy etc.).
    Then get a valorous weapon for double damage on a charge (yes that is all attacks).
    The leading the Charge Stance adds your IL in damage.
    Battle leader's/War Leader's Charge adds another +10/+35 damage and removes AoOs for movement
    War Master's Charge +50/+25 damage on a charge for you/your allies, +2 to attack, no AoOs against you and your allies, if you and at least one ally hit a target it is stunned for one round.

There are a couple more I'm sure.
    Add in being an orc with Headlong Rush for double damage on a charge (bringing us up to 3x), and Reckless Charge for another +2 to hit to make sure the power attacks land. If you have the money I'd spring for a Collision weapon as well. +5 damage may not sound like a lot but with all those feats it's an extra 15 damage per swing (not that you should need it by this point).

Another small feat/feature combo I've always been fond of is using Thicket of Blades with Defensive Sweep....they move: AoO. They don't move: AoO.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by limejuicepowder View Post
    Basically, any maneuver that gives you extra defensive measures is awesome - this is because as an ubercharger, you will not be lacking for damage. It's also probably a good idea to grab at least 1 or 2 strikes for when you can't charge (after wasting a couple of important NPC's in one round might be most of the time).
    Before getting strikes, I'd take the Save->Concentration check maneuvers and/or Iron Heart Surge.
    If you need a can opener, get the Stone Dragon Belt with the biggest Mountain Hammer you can use.
    If you can't charge and thus can't use Heedless Charge think about using lots of Power Attack with Emerald Razor. Most targets have a low Touch AC.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-31 at 06:48 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Before getting strikes, I'd take the Save->Concentration check maneuvers and/or Iron Heart Surge.
    If you need a can opener, get the Stone Dragon Belt with the biggest Mountain Hammer you can use.
    If you can't charge and thus can't use Heedless Charge think about using lots of Power Attack with Emerald Razor. Most targets have a low Touch AC.
    This +the wall of blades or whatever its called in the Iron Heart Path, its awesome vs touch attacks
    Last edited by Nabirius; 2012-10-31 at 07:51 AM.