New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Prestige Class Contest Chat Thread I

...and paragons take the lead, however in order to give everyone time to vote, how about I set up the next contest friday-ish?
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sounds good to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Well, I have a race (or twelve ) that I'd like to see paragons for, so I have no problem with it.... Just hope someone doesn't steal what I'm thinking of doing

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Well, I have a race (or twelve ) that I'd like to see paragons for, so I have no problem with it.... Just hope someone doesn't steal what I'm thinking of doing
    Illithid Savant rewrite

6. - Top - End - #216

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Illithid Savant rewrite
    Not Quite... Oh, it'll be interesting to see the paragon classes since they're usually 3 levels vs the 5+ the contest covers... Maybe waive it for this one?

Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not Quite... Oh, it'll be interesting to see the paragon classes since they're usually 3 levels vs the 5+ the contest covers... Maybe waive it for this one?
    I would say that would be a good idea. A paragon class that is longer than 3 levels could be interesting though, some sort of "super" paragon could work if they are 5 levels or longer
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe instead of paragons, make it race specific PrCs?
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    I'm going to second this, as my intended project has both .

Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #221

I'm going to second this, as my intended project has both .
    porque no los dos?
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aniikinis View Post
    porque no los dos?
    Technically you can have both as paragon classes are indeed racial

Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #223
    Banned

Technically you can have both as paragon classes are indeed racial
    Technically you can't have both as paragon classes aren't race specific PrCs, they're race specific inglorious cluster-flubs which should never have existed and are neither base classes nor prestige classes. They allow you to start off at first level with them, and then advance spellcasting that you don't have if you take all the levels immediately, which is nonsensical but it's how it works. Paragons are stupid and racial PrCs, while bad (what if I wanted to have a human arcane archer? I can't, for no good reason? What next, only orcs can be assassins?) are nowhere near that bad.

On that note, I vote in favour of literally anything else, and also in favour of not having hard restrictions in general. There's no point in having a "Best use of theme" category if no-one has any option but to follow the theme religiously.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Technically you can't have both as paragon classes aren't race specific PrCs, they're race specific inglorious cluster-flubs which should never have existed and are neither base classes nor prestige classes. They allow you to start off at first level with them, and then advance spellcasting that you don't have if you take all the levels immediately, which is nonsensical but it's how it works. Paragons are stupid and racial PrCs, while bad (what if I wanted to have a human arcane archer? I can't, for no good reason? What next, only orcs can be assassins?) are nowhere near that bad.

On that note, I vote in favour of literally anything else, and also in favour of not having hard restrictions in general. There's no point in having a "Best use of theme" category if no-one has any option but to follow the theme religiously.
    Well besides "literally anything else" what would you suggest for theme? As the theme would have been "Best of Their Race" or some such, which does not necessarily straight jacket you into paragons but was what seemed to come to everyone's mind, while I meanwhile had a thought including quite a few things, not just paragon classes.

Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #225

MindFlayer

Honestly why wouldn't you just do it as paragon classes that are classic PRC. So arcane archer is strait out but something that make you a more elfy elf would be perfect. Think monster classes for PC races. Good example would be taking a drow and making a Drow Noble Class
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2017-12-06 at 12:01 PM.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

16. - Top - End - #226
    Banned

Well besides "literally anything else" what would you suggest for theme?
    Whichever of the options has most votes and isn't that one.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Whichever of the options has most votes and isn't that one.
    So I guess that's a vote for switch hitters.

Extended Signature

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree that paragons have some both mechanical and fluff issues. The idea of a racially specific PrC isn't crazy though. For example, if this ends up being the choice, I'm probably going to go with a PrC that involves an illumian's sigils. That's by nature a race specific PrC because it will heavily involve something that only a specific race has a feature. I agree that the restriction of Arcane Archer to elves wasn't good since there was no mechanical nor fluff reason to restrict it to them. but that doesn't mean that it is a bad idea in general to have race specific PrCs.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

19. - Top - End - #229
    Bugbear in the Playground

Changing my vote to racial PrCs, this is more interesting and more options than paragon. I have some cool ideas for racial PrCs
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Gary View Post
    Changing my vote to racial PrCs, this is more interesting and more options than paragon. I have some cool ideas for racial PrCs
    Well, now I don't think the old "best of their race" thing works out so well for the title, anyone have suggestions on what you'd call it?

Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, now I don't think the old "best of their race" thing works out so well for the title, anyone have suggestions on what you'd call it?
    "Race to the top"?

"Class matters but race matters also"

"Secrets of your heritage"
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I'd lean towards the third probably, so, are people good with racial PrC's?

Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #233
    Banned

I agree that paragons have some both mechanical and fluff issues. The idea of a racially specific PrC isn't crazy though. For example, if this ends up being the choice, I'm probably going to go with a PrC that involves an illumian's sigils. That's by nature a race specific PrC because it will heavily involve something that only a specific race has a feature. I agree that the restriction of Arcane Archer to elves wasn't good since there was no mechanical nor fluff reason to restrict it to them. but that doesn't mean that it is a bad idea in general to have race specific PrCs.
    The trouble with race-locked PrCs is that your character's race and class are both supposed to be meaningful character decisions. The reason I don't like putting too many restrictions on a prestige class at all is that each restriction removes the ability to take your build in a different direction - not only will your orc arcane archer never see the light of day, but neither will your 7th-level arcane archer with three feats which aren't the three listed.

Having an illumian-locked PrC means that your PrC is never likely to see play at all, because it will only be a natural progression for a race that, in all honesty, I've never seen used to play anything other than single-classed paladins or truenamers (for the bonus to caster level and the bonus to INT skills, respectively - so much for illumians being the multiclassing race). Paladins and truenamers aren't known for their love of prestige classes (save for using SotAO to get abjurant champion on a paladin who isn't meant to be able to have it), so anyone who wants to enter your PrC will probably have wanted to enter your PrC from level 1.

This brings up my main beef with PrCs in the first instance: if your character concept doesn't exist at first level then it doesn't exist at all. Why do I say that? Well, because technically, by the way that encounters work, you should be spending 13 of the damn things at first level. Ultimately, the assassin is fine because it takes a concept that the character already had at level 1 (I murder people sneakily) and builds on it (I have death attack which is more murderous and spells which make me more sneaky and/or more murderous), whereas the shadowdancer adds a bunch of weird shadowy stuff to a class that didn't really have anything to do with that beyond "Hide is a skill".

Any race-based stuff that isn't a racial paragon, or heavens forbid a base class, pretty much has to run straight into that by definition, because there's always going to be a 5-level gap in your advancement - for your first 5 levels, your sigils were some +numbers and an ability which doesn't seem to have any possible power level other than "Useless" or "Literally sacred tradition or divine metamagic". This didn't change at second level and it didn't change at third or fourth or fifth until suddenly you're in a PrC. Whatever your first five levels were, they had very little to do with your sigils.

What might be more interesting is to have a race based theme, but not actually make classes tied to a specific race. You could even have a class based around emulating a race other than your own, which IIRC Stoneblessed was (though of course it had racial requirements too).

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

What might be more interesting is to have a race based theme, but not actually make classes tied to a specific race. You could even have a class based around emulating a race other than your own, which IIRC Stoneblessed was (though of course it had racial requirements too).
    Hmm, that sounds fine by me, but I also think it should be up to popular vote, so I guess we'll see.

Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #235
    Banned

Hmm, that sounds fine by me, but I also think it should be up to popular vote, so I guess we'll see.
    It's that, or watch me come up with a clever way of making "You must be any race" sound like a real racial requirement.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

It's that, or watch me come up with a clever way of making "You must be any race" sound like a real racial requirement.
    Hehe, that may also be interesting, especially if you do it in a creative manner

Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

The trouble with race-locked PrCs is that your character's race and class are both supposed to be meaningful character decisions. The reason I don't like putting too many restrictions on a prestige class at all is that each restriction removes the ability to take your build in a different direction - not only will your orc arcane archer never see the light of day, but neither will your 7th-level arcane archer with three feats which aren't the three listed.

Having an illumian-locked PrC means that your PrC is never likely to see play at all, because it will only be a natural progression for a race that, in all honesty, I've never seen used to play anything other than single-classed paladins or truenamers (for the bonus to caster level and the bonus to INT skills, respectively - so much for illumians being the multiclassing race). Paladins and truenamers aren't known for their love of prestige classes (save for using SotAO to get abjurant champion on a paladin who isn't meant to be able to have it), so anyone who wants to enter your PrC will probably have wanted to enter your PrC from level 1.

This brings up my main beef with PrCs in the first instance: if your character concept doesn't exist at first level then it doesn't exist at all. Why do I say that? Well, because technically, by the way that encounters work, you should be spending 13 of the damn things at first level. Ultimately, the assassin is fine because it takes a concept that the character already had at level 1 (I murder people sneakily) and builds on it (I have death attack which is more murderous and spells which make me more sneaky and/or more murderous), whereas the shadowdancer adds a bunch of weird shadowy stuff to a class that didn't really have anything to do with that beyond "Hide is a skill".

Any race-based stuff that isn't a racial paragon, or heavens forbid a base class, pretty much has to run straight into that by definition, because there's always going to be a 5-level gap in your advancement - for your first 5 levels, your sigils were some +numbers and an ability which doesn't seem to have any possible power level other than "Useless" or "Literally sacred tradition or divine metamagic". This didn't change at second level and it didn't change at third or fourth or fifth until suddenly you're in a PrC. Whatever your first five levels were, they had very little to do with your sigils.

I agree with much of this criticism. This gets in part to the problem that PrCs while an excellent mechanic, have a serious problem that they were designed in general with the expectation that one wasn't going to enter them before 6th level. Unfortunately, even homebrewers have generally kept this norm, which does lead to the problems of this sort. This is of course closely connected to the problem that most play is too low level to see most PrCs have their highest levels used. I consider the norm of not having PrCs start before 6th level to be one of the great design flaws of 3.5. Heck, this leads to an idea for what might be a fun contest in the future "Early entry" where the PrCs just need to be balanced and designed to have relatively early entry.

(Also I'll cast a vote for the racial theme as the next contest.)
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

28. - Top - End - #238

MindFlayer

Sword and Sorcery put out a PRC you could qualify for at level 0, Felsworn, for the world of warcraft book. It basically allows you to become big scary demon. Its only requirement is "You made contact with fel energy some how." Weather hit with a fel spell, took a level in Arcanist(warlock), or just Do-si-doed with a succubus. It's really only worth like 2 levels for a beatstick but still great thing.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2017-12-06 at 07:38 PM.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

I enjoyed my Illumian Rogue//Archivist. And, no, I was not using my sigils to boost Caster Level. Uurnaen lets you leave open 1st or 2nd lvl spell slots for a boost to sneak attack...

I vote for a race related theme... If we can have the theme that allows for both classes tied to a specific race and classes based around emulating a race other than your own all the better.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

So, think I will actually go with Race to The Top as suggested for a title by JoshuaZ. Thus the topic will be a rather open ended "races" kind of thing, thus (hopefully) meeting some kind of middle ground.

Extended Signature