New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

How does the judging work? Do they post here or do they send stuff to Thurbane which he posts all together?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hackulator View Post
    How does the judging work? Do they post here or do they send stuff to Thurbane which he posts all together?
    They post here.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

If you have the time, perhaps checking how they did it in earlier rounds might help.

Note that there's been changes depending on the current Supreme Chancellor - it's been Thurbane for a while, but it was originally started by someone else.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    4. An Eberron themed sky pirate. He'd be a druid who stole/flew Lyrandar airships by directly commanding the elemental with spells, rather than via dragonmark.
    I was considering an Eberron-themed sky pirate as well; possibly a spellcaster with a Spark Guardian Familiar from Complete Warrior as a "metal parrot."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Lots of builds, and lots of very unexpected builds! Hat's off to your imagination, contestants

I was planning a Dvati Cerebremancer that would abuse Anticipate Teleportation, Divert Teleportation and Desert Diversion to be a teleportation-hacking pirate. But since there's already a Cerebremancer in, that's not bad I didn't make it!
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Lots of builds, and lots of very unexpected builds! Hat's off to your imagination, contestants

I was planning a Dvati Cerebremancer that would abuse Anticipate Teleportation, Divert Teleportation and Desert Diversion to be a teleportation-hacking pirate. But since there's already a Cerebremancer in, that's not bad I didn't make it!
    Huh, interesting. Anticipate to know when a teleport happens, and the other two to hijack it? Did I get that right?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yklikt View Post
    Im not angry. Just thinking might well move deadline to actual time Thurbane does it
    It's generally easier for people to track a deadline that is 23:59 on a specific day. If I happen to not be at work on the day in question, I'll do my best to post close to the true deadline.

Besides, if not for the 10 hour "unofficial" extension, we may not have as many entries as we do now.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Banned

How many were submitted during those ten hours, by the way?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    How many were submitted during those ten hours, by the way?
    A good 2 or 3, by my reckoning.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

The best advice on how to is simple: read the other judges Judgements for the last say 4 Competitions.

From there on decide on what are the central points for you in the 4 areas, state them here and judge accordingly.

My personal 2 cents is: try to avoid letting personal likes and dislikes go into anything but memorability, if t all possible.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

11. - Top - End - #131

As usual, I didn't find the time to take part... another chance wasted.

My idea was a druid/warshaper, who attacked ships to put the fear of Umberlee into sailors, giving all the loot to his crew, while feeding captives to his aquatic animal companion as a sacrifice to the see.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    I was considering an Eberron-themed sky pirate as well; possibly a spellcaster with a Spark Guardian Familiar from Complete Warrior as a "metal parrot."
    I actually had an Eberron sky pirate fully done, but had some rules funkiness I couldn't get to work out. Basically he used the third level ability of Storm Disciple to have him and his mount ignore the effects of weather. Then he used his control winds/weather ability to make giant hurricanes and tornadoes where he knew an airship would be going through. His ship was actually a Living Astral Ship, meaning it was a creature rather than an object, meaning if he 'rode' it it would be his mount and thus immune to his abilities. With the 5th level ability of Windwright Captain, he didn't even have to maintain the connection with the Living Astral Ship to ride it... if it was powered by a bound elemental. He would then salvage the magic items involved in the airship with the 5th level Artificer ability. He was an Artificer with Bind Elemental, but the rules are sketchy on whether you can 'bind' a fire elemental to something that's not by design an airship. So I had to drop it, and didn't have any better ideas. :/

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

So, I will do the judgeing in parts as I feel to be easier.

This is my first time try to judge, so any advice is nice before I start and also while I do it. but please more on how to judge and not judgements in specific
    GrayDeath already gave you some solid advice, but I'll add a caveat. Don't follow in the footsteps of any judge who has been banned from the forums, or from this competition. For example, don't follow in the footsteps of Novolin, or any of their past sock puppets.

Last edited by Deadline; 2017-07-07 at 03:54 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

14. - Top - End - #134

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    GrayDeath already gave you some solid advice, but I'll add a caveat. Don't follow in the footsteps of any judge who has been banned from the forums, or from this competition. For example, don't follow in the footsteps of Novolin, or any of their past sock puppets.
    What did he do?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    As usual, I didn't find the time to take part... another chance wasted.
    I feel your pain - I really wanted to get an entry in for the IC Twisted Lord round. I sunk a good 5 or 6 hours into my entry, and missed finishing it by about a day.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

What did he do?
    A number of things, and you can read that thread if you want the specifics, but two big ones were not justifying scores and simply reading another judges rulings and then copying them.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    A number of things, and you can read that thread if you want the specifics, but two big ones were not justifying scores and simply reading another judges rulings and then copying them.
    There is no 100% guarantee those two were the same person, which I am skeptical of based on the two profiles arguing with each other. More specifically, don't troll then delete your posts and feign ignorance. Don't openly mock other contestants, or generally anyone on the forum. When asked questions by other forum members, and especially the chairman (currently the honorable Thurbane), freaking answer them, and don't pretend they were never asked. And most importantly, which is stated in the first few posts over and over, just be nice, and be friendly, because we are all people here.

To expand slightly on that last bit, if feelings get hurt, don't mock or demean. Address the issue in a calm and controlled manner, and explain why you formed you opinion of the build you judged, and try to avoid words like "bad," "stupid," "worthless," or anything else with that sort of negative context.

That about covers it, other than that, go do the judging thing, and like said above, try to be fair and leave out personal bias.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Huh, interesting. Anticipate to know when a teleport happens, and the other two to hijack it? Did I get that right?
    That was it. I figured it'd qualify as a pirate as in "hijack other people's transportation and then rob them.", because I figured most people would play out a fair and square seafaring pirate, so that'd be original. Turned out to be partly true.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    That was it. I figured it'd qualify as a pirate as in "hijack other people's transportation and then rob them.", because I figured most people would play out a fair and square seafaring pirate, so that'd be original. Turned out to be partly true.
    That idea is awesome! Not just as a pirate, but the whole teleport hijacking in general!

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Now I'm thinking I should have made a Paladin20 - alignment disputes guaranteed to hijack any thread.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Now I'm thinking I should have made a Paladin20 - alignment disputes guaranteed to hijack any thread.
    Would they have been named Frederic, by any chance?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yea, forgot to mention. My totally unoriginal idea was making Cortez from Thousand Year Door. No idea where I would have really went with it, but it was there.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I was thinking of making a pirate that used an iceberg as his ship, seeing as how icebergs have vehicle rules...

24. - Top - End - #144
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    I was thinking of making a pirate that used an iceberg as his ship, seeing as how icebergs have vehicle rules...
    You could just have submitted your entry from last round and it wouldn't have been out of place.

25. - Top - End - #145

RogueGuy

So this is my first time in one of these, it seems like we have a major lack of judging is that often an issue?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

It is at times.

I`ll try to judge too, if you`ll have me, but cannot promise the time this time. :(
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a note, Yklikt. It appears you skipped over the first build and judged the next four. Just wanting to make sure you eventually get back to it.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Yklikt, if you were worried about your capacity as a judge, you can rest assured that you seem to have done a more than adequate job. Thanks for judging

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

This is kinda an awkward question, but what is the proper method (if there is one) for me to point out an apparent rules problem that a judge appears to have missed?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

In the op it say not to mention it but if you think it really important Im OK if you pm me
    All right, I'll do that.