New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Looking to Play 4e Tomb of Horrors with the Radiant Mafia

My group is planning on playing a short run through the 4e (probably fan-made) Tomb of Horrors with the Radiant Mafia. The DM likes the lethality of the 3.5 version, but we're more familiar as a group with 4e, so she's planning on upping the deadliness. We generally build with the old off-line character builder with a few fan hacks to get some of the more recent Dragon Content- we may or may not have up through Dragon 400 which is where the Cleric's big boost comes from.

Looking for ideas on how to build a fairly, though not insanely optimized Radiant Mafia- both as individual builds and for group synergy. We will have 3 players- so party builds for either 3 or 6 characters preferred. Current thinking is for 6 characters- Cleric with Morning Lord PP, Paladin, Avenger, Rogue with radiant weapon and trap finding (we'll apparently need it), Invoker, and Warlord (probably lazylord). Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Looking to Play 4e Tomb of Horrors with the Radiant Mafia

There is an official Tomb of Horrors module for 4e that acts as a kind of "sequel" to the original Tomb of Horrors. Rather than a one shot adventure, the new book ends up being a series of adventures that the players go through.

That said...

... if you're playing through the original Tomb of Horrors, then packing the Radiant Mafia is pretty pointless; the original is about clearing PCs - not monsters - out of a dungeon.

If you are playing the update, then packing the Radiant mafia is fine. However, I want to be pretty clear with you as a DM, and my opinion of cheese: don't be wishy-washy about it. Asking for help to make not just a cheesy build, but a cheesy group build that is "not too optimized" is dumb.

If you want to be cheesy, own the cheese. It's optimization; this if 4e; here is the Internet. Ask for the three cheesiest builds, and then trim as you and your group sees fit. If your DM doesn't know about it, look him straight in the eye when you hand him your character sheets and proudly say "we're all cheesing."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Well, make sure everyone uses Radiant powers, find some feats that inflict debuffs around Radiant keywords, or that boost Radiant powers...

And swap the Rogue for a Starlock. You still get the Thievery you need, and built in Radiant powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't know for sure what module the DM wants- I just know that she wants to play killmeister BUT wants to give us a fair shot at not getting killed at first instant. We had a several hours long discussion last night about this and she was ok with Radiant Mafia and high cheese. The qualification on the level of cheese had more to do with ease of finding source material- if we don't have all the current Dragon content- oh, well. If we were going with the 3.5 version which had also been discussed at length it was going to be all Tier 1 casters, so yes- this is supposed to be high power and high op and the entire group including DM is on board.

We have been looking at the op boards on Wizards but wondered if anyone on Giant's had experience or interest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ashdate View Post
    There is an official Tomb of Horrors module for 4e that acts as a kind of "sequel" to the original Tomb of Horrors. Rather than a one shot adventure, the new book ends up being a series of adventures that the players go through.

That said...

... if you're playing through the original Tomb of Horrors, then packing the Radiant Mafia is pretty pointless; the original is about clearing PCs - not monsters - out of a dungeon.

If you are playing the update, then packing the Radiant mafia is fine. However, I want to be pretty clear with you as a DM, and my opinion of cheese: don't be wishy-washy about it. Asking for help to make not just a cheesy build, but a cheesy group build that is "not too optimized" is dumb.

If you want to be cheesy, own the cheese. It's optimization; this if 4e; here is the Internet. Ask for the three cheesiest builds, and then trim as you and your group sees fit. If your DM doesn't know about it, look him straight in the eye when you hand him your character sheets and proudly say "we're all cheesing."
    Last edited by OACSNY97; 2012-10-12 at 06:36 PM. Reason: clarification