New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion V: Our Armies are Pants

I propose Honesty, Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, and Loyalty Squadron. Y'know, one after each of the five virtues the Unconquered Sun embodies.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

And then of course, Magic Squadron.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I propose Honesty, Kindness, Laughter, Generosity, and Loyalty Squadron. Y'know, one after each of the five virtues the Unconquered Sun embodies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    And then of course, Magic Squadron.
    ♥ this chat.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone have any experiences of playing/running genuine Heroic Mortal games? Specifically ones which aren't just a prelude to Exaltation, but are intended to actually be for the "little people"?
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Can someone give me a page reference for Throne Shadow style? Please and thankyou
    He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and can see the turn of the universe. And... he's wonderful.

"What you do is travel around, pitting your summons against other summoners. This gives you the right to compete in tournaments, and to gain more and more powerful summons.

Just watch out for evil Team Meteor Swarm, who want to steal your Eidolon for no good reason."
    Mark Hall

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by knightMARE View Post
    Can someone give me a page reference for Throne Shadow style? Please and thankyou
    Lords of Creation, page 95-97. Make sure you bought the latest .pdf, though.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Lords of Creation, page 95-97. Make sure you bought the latest .pdf, though.
    That.. would explain why I could not find it

While I'm asking innane questions, does your spirit shape's physical attributes have any affect on your Lunar's War-Form's stats? Or is it based only on your natural form?
    He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and can see the turn of the universe. And... he's wonderful.

"What you do is travel around, pitting your summons against other summoners. This gives you the right to compete in tournaments, and to gain more and more powerful summons.

Just watch out for evil Team Meteor Swarm, who want to steal your Eidolon for no good reason."
    Mark Hall

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

While I'm asking inane questions, does your spirit shape's physical attributes have any affect on your Lunar's War-Form's stats? Or is it based only on your natural form?

I'm 99% sure that it's just your natural form, plus the +1 dot per physical attribute that it gives you.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2011-05-19 at 07:22 AM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

That.. would explain why I could not find it
    They should also be in the latest scroll of errata, since they are not modifying anything, but a lot of things in the same chapter are. Lords of Creation is a cool book to buy (in .pdf format) regardless.

Deadly Beastman Transformation only modifies your basic shape. Barring other knacks, however, you can only choose mutations appropriate to your spirit shape, so it does affect the end result somewhat.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

So... DB question. I know the guidelines for starting as an immaculate say "5 celestial martial arts charms." Does that include the enlightenment charms and if so, is it together or separately? (I.E. is it Enlightenment + 5 or Enlightenment + 3 or somehow bypassing enlightenment)

I thought it was Enlightenment + 5 because that's how it would seem to work simply buying your way in with the 7 DB charms, but my friend disagreed, and I'd like some clarification...
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Immaculate DBs start with exactly the same number of charms as any other DB - it's just that the book forgets to mention that two of them have to be enlightenment charms.

The hint is in the fact that Enlightenment charms are not Celestial Martial Arts charms. Immaculate DBs start with 5 CMA charms. (The fact that all five Immaculate Dragon styles are designed purposefully to have the Form charm as the fifth charm also kinda points towards this...)
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-05-19 at 07:40 AM.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    So... DB question. I know the guidelines for starting as an immaculate say "5 celestial martial arts charms." Does that include the enlightenment charms and if so, is it together or separately? (I.E. is it Enlightenment + 5 or Enlightenment + 3 or somehow bypassing enlightenment)

I thought it was Enlightenment + 5 because that's how it would seem to work simply buying your way in with the 7 DB charms, but my friend disagreed, and I'd like some clarification...
    No one knows! At one point, errata had two conflicting answers on the subject, but both were removed before the scroll was first released. It stands to reason that, since those five Charms are Celestial Martial Arts Charms and thus (ostensibly) stronger and more expensive than Terrestrial Charms, the Enlightenment Charms have to be bought using those five Charms. However, as far as I am aware, there is no official answer at the moment.

A bigger problem is the minimum Essence requirement of 3 for the Enlightenment Charm, which means that 10 of your 15 bonus points go towards Essence, which is highly inefficient compared to buying it with XP.
    I use black for sarcasm.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Because trying to figure this somethings out (travel times/speeds) is bugging me, is there any word on how long the sun is up in creation?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't it 12 and a half hours? I seem to remember creation's day is 25 hours, and that the sun is up for exactly half, but I don't remember if some of the poles get longer or shorter days (I don't think so).
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

You know, you'd think they'd explain it in one of the various sections dedicated to the passage of time in Creation, but I can't find any references to it. Maybe I am just missing where it is.
    I use black for sarcasm.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    You know, you'd think they'd explain it in one of the various sections dedicated to the passage of time in Creation, but I can't find any references to it. Maybe I am just missing where it is.
    I'm asking because I couldn't find it. Maybe they thought it was so obvious that they didn't have to include it (it isn't as the varience on earth is over 24 hours).

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Isn't it 12 and a half hours? I seem to remember creation's day is 25 hours, and that the sun is up for exactly half, but I don't remember if some of the poles get longer or shorter days (I don't think so).
    What with Creation being flat, I would guess that, unless it's blocked by mountains, the sun would be up for the same amount of time mostly anywhere in Creation.

EDIT: Although, something I've always wondered about Creation is (and I haven't really read about the Daystar, so maybe this is answered somewhere), does the Sun rise in the east and set in the west? And if so, where does it go at night?
    Last edited by DragonSinged; 2011-05-19 at 05:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grifter, character in game I'm GMing
    I was fine in Kingsfort until I met you guys. This looking for immortality thing is gonna get me killed!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSinged View Post
    What with Creation being flat, I would guess that, unless it's blocked by mountains, the sun would be up for the same amount of time mostly anywhere in Creation.

EDIT: Although, something I've always wondered about Creation is (and I haven't really read about the Daystar, so maybe this is answered somewhere), does the Sun rise in the east and set in the west? And if so, where does it go at night?
    It goes on the same-ish course as in real life. And it goes Elsewhere.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

The sun is closer to the South than the North at its zenith, but otherwise, it mostly travels from the Wood pole to the Water pole in a straight curve.
    I use black for sarcasm.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    It goes on the same-ish course as in real life. And it goes Elsewhere.
    It goes Elsewhere? So, can it travel in Elsewhere or something? Or does it just teleport back to the pole of Wood in the mornings?

EDIT: @ Mr. Bookworm
    I thought Elsewhere was sort of an extra-dimensional space sorta deal that things could be sent to or summoned from. Does the Sun summon itself back from Elsewhere? Maybe I should just read up on the Daystar.
    Last edited by DragonSinged; 2011-05-19 at 06:21 PM.
    I was fine in Kingsfort until I met you guys. This looking for immortality thing is gonna get me killed!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Bugbear in the Playground

It goes Elsewhere? So, can it travel in Elsewhere or something? Or does it just teleport back to the pole of Wood in the mornings?
    Elsewhere is by definition, nowhere.

It just pops back into a place different from where it left.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

All points in Elsewhere are equidistant from all points in elsewhere. So, it doesn't travel in Elsewhere - it cannot, really - to get to another point in Creation.
    I use black for sarcasm.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

A Solar can banish his daiklave to Elsewhere while in Pure Chaos and then summon it bake while standing atop Mount Meru, so I don't know why the Daystar wouldn't be able to teleport by going Elsewhere and then coming out somewhere else.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

I've been wanting to try out Exalted for awhile and I've got some interested people. So a few questions from a newbie:

1) I think I like the houserules on the first page, but would like to ask why they are common? Things they fixed, why they're better than the normal rules, etc.

2)How do you typically handle movement in combat? My understanding is that as long as you have joined the battle you can move, even if it's not your tick(though not if they haven't acted yet in that combat). So I'm thinking I'm going to be doing a lot of refereeing, and advocacy of common sense to avoid arguments of what moved where. Any tips?

3)Any general ideas on a good starting adventure for a bunch of Solars whose players have only played D&D before?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    A Solar can banish his daiklave to Elsewhere while in Pure Chaos and then summon it bake while standing atop Mount Meru, so I don't know why the Daystar wouldn't be able to teleport by going Elsewhere and then coming out somewhere else.
    The only difference there is that the Solar is banishing the daiklave, then moving, then summoning it back to himself, so that the daiklave is moving to and from Elsewhere based on the Solar's position, whereas the Daystar would be moving, then banishing itself to Elsewhere, then.. Summoning itself? back to a different location. And while the comics aren't the best thing to refer to on these matters, there is that dude with the belt who's all "I can't move?!", which indicates to me that taking actions while in Elsewhere might be difficult. Although, that's just physical movement, so maybe charm activations and whatnot are still possible? Or maybe that comic's just dumb. Either way.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

1) They don't fix much. Aside from the Warstrider fix, which I never used or read, all of them have an intended purpose, but none of them are solutions to a problem. The Lunar chargen rules are the originally intended rules before they were edited to be the current ones, and they bring Lunars closer to Solars during character generation. It doesn't fix anything with Lunars, just makes them slightly more powerful before the Solar XP costs kick in. The Excellency rule was my own creation, and the reasons for it were allowing niche definition (aside from the almost obligatory combat Excellency, where you spend the other Excellencies helps define what matters to your character), allowing people to spend their Charms on flashier things that are not as universally applicable as larger dice pools, and reinforcing the Exalted superiority right out of the box.

2) Vaguely. Absolute locations rarely matter in the face of frequent stunting small objects and landscape into existence, so it doesn't matter where the tables in the tavern are during a fight - just that there are tables in the first place. In practice, movement allows for changing distance between characters rather than their location. In some cases, it might matter where they are in relative to an important object, but those are rarely different from having a character in place of the object. As long as the sum of the distance between A and B and the distance between B and C is not smaller than the distance between A and C, you should be fine.

3) Return to the Tomb of Five Corners is always fun. You hunt for artifacts and you fight some minor monsters before facing a slightly powerful Exalt.
    I use black for sarcasm.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground

One thing I meant to ask about Return to the Temple of Five Corners was about Barrow Black.

Before the adventure starts, the Circle and Kade's mercenary company were all hired by Nexus' Council to deal with the army of bandits Barrow Black was forming. Now I may be assuming too much that the Council of Entities knew Kade and co. were Solars, but if they did know then wouldn't that be a bit of overkill for an upstart bandit prince? Or am I just underestimating how big Barrow Black's army was?

Any ideas on how to make him a bit more interesting, that the final fight between him and the Circle wasn't finished as quickly as you'd expect a mortal vs Exalt fight to go? Maybe make him a God-Blooded or a Half-Caste? Maybe an Outcaste Dragon-Blooded?
    Last edited by ShadowFighter15; 2011-05-19 at 07:00 PM.
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Technically the Ox-body one is a mitigation of a problem, but I agree that it isn't a fix. Alternative variants on the Ox-body houserule involve the stamina of the character involved rather than the Ess score, although that produces more fluctuations of relative uh toughness among characters since it is a lot easier to vary Sta than Ess in the same playgroup.
    BEEP.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Thumbs up Re: General Exalted Discussion V: Our Armies are Pants

I suppose a more accurate question is, "What do they do that the current rules didn't do already?" then. I think Rose answered that for me, thanks.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

The only difference there is that the Solar is banishing the daiklave, then moving, then summoning it back to himself, so that the daiklave is moving to and from Elsewhere based on the Solar's position, whereas the Daystar would be moving, then banishing itself to Elsewhere, then.. Summoning itself? back to a different location. And while the comics aren't the best thing to refer to on these matters, there is that dude with the belt who's all "I can't move?!", which indicates to me that taking actions while in Elsewhere might be difficult. Although, that's just physical movement, so maybe charm activations and whatnot are still possible? Or maybe that comic's just dumb. Either way.
    He could still move his eyes. And talk. That comic is pretty stupid if you actually think about it. (How was he breathing? There's no air there...)