New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [PrC] Begone, pest.

Two combatants walk onto the arena floor, Kithvok the Bloody - arena champion and raging berserker - and a newcomer. The money flew as the bets mounted, the smart putting their money on the barbarian, the desperate on his opponent, a slender man in a tattered black cloak, face hidden under the hood, leaning heavily on his scythe. The match begins, and Kithvok charges, screaming wrath as the foam begins to spray from his mouth -

Only to be hurled back. The newcomer steps forward and to the side, catching the barbarian with his scythe and hurling the rager almost thirty feet. Rolling up, Kithvok comes at him again - only to be repelled by a savage swing.

The fight goes badly for the arena champion from there. Cut up, ragged, wounded, the hate dead in him, he charges one last time, and is knocked back by a blow to the chest that sprawls him on the ground.

"Pest," is the last word he hears before cold steel claims him.

Flick Reaper

Requirements:
    B.A.B. +8
    Skills: Craft (Weaponsmithing) 6 ranks
    Feats: Weapon Focus (Scythe), Improved Critical (Scythe), Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Hold the Line
    Special: Must handcraft their own Masterwork Scythe and present it for testing before a Master Reaper

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Flick Reapers gain no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Skills: As Fighter

B.A.B. Full
    Fort: Good
    Reflex: Poor
    Will: Poor

Hit Die: D10

Class Features

Brush Off (Ex): Keeping your opponents away is one of the primary teachings of the Flick Reaper - no sword can wound you if it cannot get close enough. Whenever you make an attack of opportunity against an opponent, the attack is also treated as a bull rush attempt, except that you do not enter the defender's square and make the attempt as part of your scythe attack, and are not pushed back five feet if you fail. You may only use Brush Off when weilding a scythe.

Bloody Blade (Ex): Starting at second level, as long as you have dealt ten or more points of slashing damage to a corporeal creature with blood or similar bodily fluid with your scythe this round, you may flick the blood off at an opponent within ten feet as a swift action that provokes attacks of opportunity. The opponent must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + class level + Dexterity modifier) or be blinded for 1d2 rounds. Creatures without eyes or other obvious visual sensory organs are immune to this ability.
    At level 7, this ability no longer provokes attacks of opportunity.

Flick Away (Ex): Starting at fourth level, as a standard action, you may use your scythe to initiate a bull rush attempt - see Brush Off. You may only use Flick Away when weilding a scythe.
    At 9th level, you may use Flick Away as a normal part of any melee attack with your scythe.

Reach of the Reaper (Ex): Starting at fifth level, you have learned how to use your scythe effectively without forcing yourself to be pinned next to an opponent. You may treat any scythe you weild as a 10ft reach weapon. You still threaten any foes adjacent to you.

For Whom the Bell Tolls (Ex): Fear can be a powerful weapon against the weak-willed and the weak-minded, and it is easy to inspire when one weilds Death's weapon. Sarting at sixth level, whenever you make a successful melee attack against a foe wearing Medium or Heavy armor with your scythe, a mournful, bell-like sound fills the air. The victim must make a Will save (DC 10 + Flick Reaper level + Cha modifier) or become Shaken. If they fail another Will save against one of your attacks, they become Frightened, and if they fail a third, Panicked. This is a sonic, mind-affecting ability.

Long Arm of Death (Ex): Starting at tenth level, your hard work has finally paid off, making you the unquestioned master of the battle near you. You may make an unlimited number of attacks of opportunity against foes you threaten while you weild a scythe. Furthermore, instead of using Brush Off, if you make an attack of opportunity on a foe attempting to leave your threatened space, you may make a opposed Strength check, as if you were making a bull rush attempt. If you succeed, you halt their movement and pull them five feet towards you.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2008-04-25 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [PrC] Begone, pest.

Scythes rules.

Two combatants walk onto the arena floor, Kithvok the Bloody - arena champion and raging berserker - and a newcomer. The money flew as the bets mounted, the smart putting their money on the barbarian, the desperate on his opponent, a slender man in a tattered black cloak, face hidden under the hood, leaning heavily on his scythe. The match begins, and Kithvok charges, screaming wrath as the foam begins to spray from his mouth -

Only to be hurled back. The newcomer steps forward and to the side, catching the barbarian with his scythe and hurling the rager almost thirty feet. Rolling up, Kithvok comes at him again - only to be repelled by a savage swing.

The fight goes badly for the arena champion from there. Cut up, ragged, wounded, the hate dead in him, he charges one last time, and is knocked back by a blow to the chest that sprawls him on the ground.

"Pest," is the last word he hears before cold steel claims him.
    Your fluff's all right, seems a good beginning.

Flick Reaper

Requirements:
    B.A.B. +8
    Skills: Craft (Weaponsmithing) 6 ranks
    Feats: Weapon Focus (Scythe), Improved Critical (Scythe), Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Hold the Line
    Special: Must handcraft their own Masterwork Scythe and present it for testing before a Master Reaper
    Again, love the ''special'' condition, for the sake of originality. Definitely high-level class.

Just my opinion, though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strongarm Warrior: An actually worthwhile Monkey Grip-focused PrC!
    Guyr Adamantine Avatar by Tomb Raven.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: [PrC] Begone, pest.

Thank'ee kindly - any suggestions or fixes needed on the crunch? I'm gonna update the fluff later as well, by the by.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks good. I'd suggest that you add in 'only with scythe' language to the last two abilities though, just in case.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

5. - Top - End - #5

Ah, thank you *adds*

So, underpowered, overpowered, broken, what?

My extended homebrew sig

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think that, for the sake of fairness, if you fail in your Brush Off bullrush attempt, you should be pushed back. I mean, it doesn't make much sense that the opposing creature couldn't push the hilt back, moving the Flick Reaper.

The Bloody Blade ability has a very high DC, since it's based of damage dealt. It should be more set to 10+Class Level+Dex Modifier. Look at it this way, a 10th level character can get that ability, and it's not unreasonable to say a 10th level Meleeist can do... 2d4+14+Power Attack+Enhancement Bonus, ect... So, if you're just attacking with a Masterwork Scythe, with no power attack adjustment, you'll be dong on average 19 Damage. That's a 29 Reflex DC. A 10th level rogue's reflex save would be around +12, so he'd have to make a 17 on the roll to avoid the blinding effect. It's a bit much.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems fine to me. It's powerful but not accessable before 9th level and dependant upon having a specific weapon. Seems balanced well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JackMage666 View Post
    The Bloody Blade ability has a very high DC, since it's based of damage dealt. It should be more set to 10+Class Level+Dex Modifier. Look at it this way, a 10th level character can get that ability, and it's not unreasonable to say a 10th level Meleeist can do... 2d4+14+Power Attack+Enhancement Bonus, ect... So, if you're just attacking with a Masterwork Scythe, with no power attack adjustment, you'll be dong on average 19 Damage. That's a 29 Reflex DC. A 10th level rogue's reflex save would be around +12, so he'd have to make a 17 on the roll to avoid the blinding effect. It's a bit much.
    True. This might be better balanced if it provoked an attack of opportunity before 9th level and if the attack suceeds then the flick off fails. Something like "When this ability is used as a standard action it provokes an attack of opportunity". You might also want to make the flick off blindness last only 1d2 rounds. That's plenty good at the top levels where you are using flick off with each of your iterative attacks.
    Last edited by AKA_Bait; 2007-09-28 at 10:06 AM.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

8. - Top - End - #8

Hmm...10+Flick Reaper level + Dex Mod sound good to you, than?

And the reason I have it so that the Reaper isn't pushed back is because if he/she is, that's just as good as pushing them back - you've moved away from your foe.

My extended homebrew sig

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Bait View Post
    Seems fine to me. It's powerful but not accessable before 9th level and dependant upon having a specific weapon. Seems balanced well enough.
    The problem is, it's a weapon that they're highly trained with, that in a few weapons will be better than a Spiked Chain. Yes, it's a 10th level ability but does that mean it should be successfull 95% of the time? If whatever its used against doesn't have good reflex saves, such as a Cleric or Fighter, then it'll only save on a natural 20. That's problematic.

But yes, 10+Class Level+Dex Mod seems alot better, since it'll cap at 20+Dex Mod, still effect the low reflex classes plenty well, and still present enough of a challenge for high reflex classes that they shouldn't auto succeed.

And, completely forgot that being pushed back is the same as pushing back in terms of distance apart. I don't know, something just doesn't quite sit right to be able to push back on every attack of opportunity, though, as combat reflexes can give you alot.
    Last edited by JackMage666; 2007-09-28 at 10:11 AM.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

10. - Top - End - #10

Well, the idea for Brush Off is like in the fluff above - they hook-and-hurl. I'll change the DC on Bloody Blade and pop it down to 1d2 - but remember, it's a Swift action, not an Immediate, their attacks of opportunity just mean they -can- use it on their turn.

My extended homebrew sig

11. - Top - End - #11

Alright, a feat to go with the class, though it's by no means limited to them.

Master Reaper [Style]
    You are the image of Death himself upon the battlefield
    Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (Scythe), Weapon Specialization (Scythe), Greater Weapon Focus (Scythe), Greater Weapon Specialization (Scythe), Improved Critical (Scythe), Power Attack, Improved Sunder
    Benefit: Whenever you are weilding a scythe and using Power Attack, you gain triple the attack penalty you take as a bonus on damage. Furthermore, damage you deal with your scythe also deals damage to any armor or shield that creature is wearing, subject to normal hardness rules.

My extended homebrew sig

12. - Top - End - #12

You should probably specify whether these are (Ex) or (Su) abilities. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" strikes me as (Su), but the others could go either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Agree with Mew on labelling. FWTBT should probably be mentioned as being a Sonic, Mind-affecting effect. Eg. Doesn't work in a Silence zone, nor against someone with Mind Blank.

Overall, looks like War Hulk's new best friend(especially if you can stick them together on the same character. No time to think might block out access to this PrC due to being treated as having no ranks in Craft, but I would allow the abilities to stay, personally. Plus NTTT is a moderately stupid penalty anyway).
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

14. - Top - End - #14

Thanks for the reminder (I always forget that). As to "For Whom the Bell Tolls," it's more like a -way- of hitting them - the scythe connects with the breastplate in just the right way or something, and the sound is that of a funeral bell. Tell me that wouldn't scare the hell outta -you-

My extended homebrew sig

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Thanks for the reminder (I always forget that). As to "For Whom the Bell Tolls," it's more like a -way- of hitting them - the scythe connects with the breastplate in just the right way or something, and the sound is that of a funeral bell. Tell me that wouldn't scare the hell outta -you-
    Ah. Shouldn't that sacrifice any damage you would have dealt? It's strong enough on its own (frightened opponents are poor combatants).
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

16. - Top - End - #16

Hmm...this is an interesting point. Let me toss this at you - have them sac any damage they would have done vs. medium armor, because it's harder to hit that the right way, but have them just take a damage penalty vs. heavy armor, because that's -everywhere- and hard enough to make the sound and still inflict some pain.

My extended homebrew sig

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

*RAISE THREAD*
    There, with that out of the way, i don't think the prereqs for the Master Reaper feat make sense, since nobody in the Flick Reaper PrC would be able to take it, at least in respect to going the whole way through the class before epic, since Greater Weapon Spec requires you to be Fighter 12. I'd recommend instead of taking Greater Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Spec, have them take Weapon Mastery(Slashing), which would not delay their entry into Flick Reaper and let them eventually get the Master Reaper feat when they have the exhaustive amount of prereqs met. If you want to keep the feat to stay at the 12th level tier to get, might I suggest Slashing Flurry or Power Critical(Scythe)? They both seem to fit into the class fairly well, i think. Just a couple thoughts for an awesome class. ^^
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2008-02-20 at 12:48 AM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

The infinite attacks of opportunity will hurt Reapers who took combat reflexes, that is, all of them. You shold replace one of the requirement feats with combat reflexes.
    Last edited by Parvum; 2008-02-19 at 09:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

I liiikke.

It gives an interesting fighting style to an interesting weapon.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

20. - Top - End - #20

Very nice, I'm infact going to try and convince my DM to let me play a Flick Reaper.
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Parvum View Post
    The infinite attacks of opportunity will hurt Reapers who took combat reflexes, that is, all of them. You shold replace one of the requirement feats with combat reflexes.
    Well, it's really the player's choice. A patient player can wait for level 10. An impatient one will view the choice as worth it. Either way, thank you for the suggestion, but I won't be following it.

My extended homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

It all looks good to me. Nice work.

One little thing, though:

Creatures without eyes or other obvious visual sensory organs are immune to this ability.
    Might also wanna add that it doesn't affect creatures without blood (with all the monsters out there, it's better safe than sorry).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Oooh, I like this one. Has this nice flavour to it and would be definetly interesting to try out.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    It all looks good to me. Nice work.

One little thing, though:

Might also wanna add that it doesn't affect creatures without blood (with all the monsters out there, it's better safe than sorry).
    Well...the real wording would have to be, "This ability may only be used after the Flick Reaper has struck and dealt damage to a corporeal creature with blood or similar substance." Thank'ee, though! I'll edit that in right away.

My extended homebrew sig