New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default DnD 3.5 Class Changes/Rebalances (sans Paladin)

From my Tome of House Rules v1.5, list of PHB class rebalances and remakes.

Note, my desire here is not to reinvent the wheel.

Barbarian:
    -Trap Sense is now Danger Sense and applies to the barbarian’s AC and Reflex saves in every situation, including combat. (he still loses Dodge bonuses to AC when appropriate)
    -Increase DR progression by 2. Thus, granting DR 4/- at 10th-level.
    -Gain Knowledge (history) and Spot as class skills.
    -Gain Innate Resistance: SR 2 + class level. If you have SR from any other permanent source (racially), improve that progression by 2.

Bard:

-Add 2 spells per day to each spell level in his progression.
    -Pick 3 additional 1-handed melee or ranged martial weapons. You are now proficient with those weapons.
    -Gain Forgery as a class skill.

Cleric:

-Domains outside those in the PHB will be reviewed on an individual basis, with the default being that they are banned.
    -If you do not wish to worship a deity, it is suggested that you still select one for the purpose of choosing domains. You must meet the normal alignment restriction for worshiping the selected deity. RP-wise, this deity has no relevance to you.
    If this cannot work for you, your concept will be reviewed on an individual basis.
    -Gain Sense Motive as a class skill.
    -Gain 1 free rank in Speak Celestial, Infernal or Abyssal (according to alignment)

Druid:

-Spontaneous Summoning is removed. You may still prepare and cast summoning spells as desired.
    -Gain Proficiency with all martial bows.
    -Wild Shape forms and Animal Companions are restricted to MM1 sources only. Specific exceptions may be made.
    -Wild Shape (large) is obtained at 11th-level, Wild Shape (tiny) is obtained at 13th-level, Wild Shape (huge) is obtained at 15th-level.
    -Wild Shape does not grant any healing or restoration.
    -Bump animal companion progression chart forward 2 steps, so you don’t receive 1st-level benefits until 5th level, and so forth. This effects when you can have a more powerful companion as well. You still start with your companion at level 1, however, and you still gain link at level 1.
    -Share Spells with animal companion is removed.
    -If your animal companion dies, you may not replace him until a period of morning equal to 1 month + 1 month per 2 levels.
    -Gain Knowledge (geography) as a class skill.

Fighter:

-Gain +1 to weapon attack rolls at 3rd level and every three levels thereafter (6th, 9th, etc).
    -Gain +1 to weapon damage rolls at 4th level and every four levels thereafter (8th, 12th, etc)
    -Gain Defensive Combat: You may subtract a number from your attack rolls and add it to your AC as a Dodge bonus. This number may not exceed your fighter level. Does not stack with Combat Expertise.
    -Gain Armor Specialization as a free bonus feat at level 6.
    -Gain 1 of Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes or Great Fortitude at level 7.
    -Gain Uncanny Dodge at level 9.
    -Gain Improved Uncanny Dodge at level 13.
    -Gain a +1 Armor bonus to AC (stacks with normal armor) while wearing heavy armor at 6th-level and every 6 levels thereafter (12th,18th).
    -Gain Concentration as a class skill.
    -Gain Innate Resistance: SR 2 + class level. If you have SR from any other permanent source (racially), improve that progression by 2.

Monk:

-You may use Flurry of Blows as part of an attack action.
    -If you fail an attack roll while attempting Stunning Fist, the use is not wasted.
    -You may Power Attack at a 1:1 ratio with your unarmed strike as part of an attack or full-action action.
    -Whenever your Ki Strike progression improves, gain a +1 enhancement bonus to damage (in addition to the listed benefits)
    -Lose Knowledge (arcane) and gain Knowledge (history) as class skills.

Ranger:

- ‘Drop’ spell casting progression by 4 levels, granting 1st-level spells at level 1. A 5th-level spell list will be created.
    -Increase spells per-day progression by 1 per spell level. Granting 1 base spell per-day instead of 0, 3 instead of 2, and so forth.
    -Bump animal companion progression chart forward 1 step, so you don’t receive 4thst-level benefits until 6th level, and so forth. This effects when you can have a more powerful companion as well. You still start with your companion at level 4, however, and you still gain link at level 4.
    -Animal companion level is based off relative druid level.
    -Gain Balance, Gather Information, Knowledge (local), and Sense Motive as class skills.

Rogue:

-Special Ability progression starts at level 8 instead of level 10.
    -Gain Knowledge (dungeoneering) as a class skill.

Sorcerer:

-Pick 1 martial weapon, you are proficient with that weapon.
    -Gain +1 spell known per spell level.
    -Gain Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Knowledge (the planes) as class skills.
    -You may replace a current spell known for another every time you level up, and this spell may be of any level you can cast.
    -Gain Eschew Materials as a free bonus feat, at level 1.
    -Gain Improved Familiar at level 4, you may re-summon your familiar at this time with no penalty.
    -Gain Arcane Spell Power at 6th, 12th and 18th level, adding +1 to spell DCs.
    -Gain Metamagic Familiarity at 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th level: At each level, choose a metamagic feat that you know, that feat costs 1 spell level less to apply, and doesn’t require extra time to cast (as normal for spontaneous casters). You may not select the same feat multiple times. You may use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier.

Sorcerer Variant: Metamagic Secret

When you would normally gain Metamagic Familiarity, you may instead gain Metamagic Secret:
    Choose from Enlarge Spell, Empower Spell, Energy Substitution, Extend Spell, Still Spell, Silent Spell, and Widen Spell. You may apply that metamagic feat to a single spell that you know at no increase to its spell level or casting time. The spell, once chosen, is permanent. You may chose the same spell multiple times for different metamagic feats. You may choose a different metamagic feat each time, or the same one multiple times and apply it to different spells.

Wizard:

-Gain Appraise and Forgery as class skills.
    -Gain 1 free rank in Speak Language (Draconic).
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-04-29 at 04:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: DnD 3.5 Class Changes/Rebalances (sans Paladin)

I made some notes for you. I slashed out things I think should be dropped and gave explanations why.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizara View Post
    From my Tome of House Rules v1.5, list of PHB class rebalances and remakes.

Note, my desire here is not to reinvent the wheel.

Barbarian:
    -Trap Sense is now Danger Sense and applies to the barbarian’s AC and Reflex saves in every situation, including combat. (he still loses Dodge bonuses to AC when appropriate)
    -Increase DR progression by 2. Thus, granting DR 4/- at 10th-level.
    -Gain Knowledge (history) and(I can't think of a single reason why a Barbarian would have any knowledge of history, as they are illiterate) Spot as class skills.
    (-Gain Innate Resistance: SR 2 + class level. If you have SR from any other permanent source (racially), improve that progression by 2.

Bard:

-Add 2 spells per day to each spell level in his progression.
    -Pick 3 additional 1-handed melee or ranged martial weapons. You are now proficient with those weapons.
    -Gain Forgery as a class skill.
    (Bards don't need more weapons, nor does adding forgery really make much sense given their nature.)

Cleric:

[/s]-Domains outside those in the PHB will be reviewed on an individual basis, with the default being that they are banned. [/s](If you want domains banned, list specific ones.)
    -If you do not wish to worship a deity, it is suggested that you still select one for the purpose of choosing domains. You must meet the normal alignment restriction for worshiping the selected deity. RP-wise, this deity has no relevance to you.
    If this cannot work for you, your concept will be reviewed on an individual basis.
    (Instead, I think wording it like "Select a Diety that matches your alignment description, and your domains are treated as though that was your diety." would work better.)
    -Gain Sense Motive as a class skill.
    -Gain 1 free rank in Speak Celestial, Infernal or Abyssal (according to alignment)(Free Ranks don't make much sense. Something like this should be learned by choice. Not given to them for free.)

Druid:

-Spontaneous Summoning is removed. You may still prepare and cast summoning spells as desired.
    -Gain Proficiency with all martial bows.
    -Wild Shape forms and Animal Companions are restricted to MM1 sources only. Specific exceptions may be made.(I'm against limiting people like this when there are so many other fun things that can be done.)
    -Wild Shape (large) is obtained at 11th-level, Wild Shape (tiny) is obtained at 13th-level, Wild Shape (huge) is obtained at 15th-level.
    -Bump animal companion progression chart forward 2 steps, so you don’t receive 1st-level benefits until 5th level, and so forth. This effects when you can have a more powerful companion as well. You still start with your companion at level 1, however, and you still gain link at level 1.
    -If your animal companion dies, you may not replace him until a period of morning equal to 1 month + 1 month per 2 levels. (I see no reason for this ability)
    -Gain Knowledge (geography) as a class skill.

Fighter:

-Gain +1 to weapon attack rolls at 3rd level and every three levels thereafter (6th, 9th, etc).
    -Gain +1 to weapon damage rolls at 4th level and every four levels thereafter (8th, 12th, etc)
    -Gain Defensive Combat: You may subtract a number from your attack rolls and add it to your AC as a Dodge bonus. This number may not exceed your fighter level. Does not stack with Combat Expertise.
    (Fighter bonus feats are made to take care of many of these things.)
    -Gain a +1 Armor bonus to AC (stacks with normal armor) while wearing heavy armor at 6th-level and every 6 levels thereafter (12th,18th).
    -Gain Concentration as a class skill.Fighters don't need to concentrate.

Monk:

-You may use Flurry of Blows as part of an attack action.
    -If you fail an attack roll while attempting Stunning Fist, the use is not wasted.
    -You may Power Attack at a 1:1 ratio with your unarmed strike as part of an attack or full-action action.
    -Whenever your Ki Strike progression improves, gain a +1 enhancement bonus to damage (in addition to the listed benefits)
    -Lose Knowledge (arcane) and gain Knowledge (history) as class skills.

Rogue:

-Special Ability progression starts at level 8 instead of level 10.
    -Gain Knowledge (dungeoneering) as a class skill.

Sorcerer:

-Pick 1 martial weapon, you are proficient with that weapon. (No reason to make this class more MArtial oriented.)
    -Gain +1 spell known per spell level.
    -Gain Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Knowledge (the planes) as class skills.
    -You may replace a current spell known for another every time you level up, and this spell may be of any level you can cast. (Sorcers don't get their powers from another source, so it doesn't make sense if they can just forget a spell and replace it with another.)
    -Gain Eschew Materials as a free bonus feat, at level 1.
    -Gain Improved Familiar at level 4, you may re-summon your familiar at this time with no penalty.
    -Gain Arcane Spell Power at 6th, 12th and 18th level, adding +1 to spell DCs.
    -Gain Metamagic Familiarity at 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th level: At each level, choose a metamagic feat that you know, that feat costs 1 spell level less to apply, and doesn’t require extra time to cast (as normal for spontaneous casters). You may not select the same feat multiple times. This sounds really freaking powerful.)

Wizard:

-Gain 1 free rank in Speak Language (Draconic).
    (Same reasoning of the free ranks, and Forgery doesn't even make sense for a Wizard Class Skill. Possibley Appraise does, but thats to much of a stretch.)

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Corncracker View Post
    I made some notes for you. I slashed out things I think should be dropped and gave explanations why.
    First off, while I appreciate a critique I find this introduction presumptous and midly offensive. It comes across as "this is what you did wrong, be sure to correct your mistakes now".

As to your 'notes':

1) Barbarians getting know (history) is to represent the oral traditions of various indigenious peoples and tribes. Telling of the history of the ancestors and the feats of great warriors of old was a huge part of their culture. Knowledge of history isn't necessarily academic study.

2a) I disagree that bards don't need better weapon profs, as part of being a jack-of-all-trades is being able to use decent weapons, if not terribly well.

2b) Considering that bards have alot to do with written material (poetry, stories, songs, folklore etc) and are also a subtle/sneaky/underhanded class, I would strongly disagree that it's "against their nature".

3a) I'm essentially saying I'm banning all non-phb ones until I have the time to go through them all. Recall there are ALOT of supplimental domains.

3b) I originally had something similar to that that, but I added the exceptions in because many people complained that they had a character concept that would require more flexibility. Also, it follows the diction style of other material. Thus, the more verboise but flexible wording.
    I still agree however that simple and straightforward is more ideal then verboise, inclusive and flexible.

3c) This doesn't make sense because you don't know my language system, I recommend you ignore it for the moment. If you are very interested in my language system, I can dig up the old thread for it.

4a) Then give me a better idea beyond "use shapeshift phb2 variant" which is just as limiting. If you feel fleshrakers are cool in your game, then we have different ideas of 'balanced'.

4b) It's so its not used as a disposable reasource. At least I didn't make you lose XP like if your familiar dies. Considering the companion mechanics, it wouldn't be much of a stretch logically.

5a) Fighter still has its bonus feats, these are additional buffs and free feats. I'd like a better reason to remove them then "but he gets feats!". Not to mention, the save-booster feats arent on the fighter's feat list, and uncanny dodge isnt a feat at all.

5b) This is for compliance with the PHB2 Combat Focus feats, which I am re-working to use Concentration. Yes, otherwise giving a caster skill like that to the fighter would be a bit silly.

6a) They already can do this, I just made it more practical. Compare to a wizard-style preparation.

6b) Compare it to a wizard's free metamagic feat progression, and keep in mind they are still inferior casters to the wizard.

7a) How the heck does Forgery not make sense as a skill for the most scholastic class in the game? They deal with written material constantly, its integral to their training, abilities and progression. Honestly, if wizards shouldn't have forgery, nobody should. Rogues with their sneaky nature have an equally strong but different reason to have this skill, not better.
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-04-17 at 08:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

I really like the barbarian's Danger Sense. If it weren't likely unbalancing, I'd suggest making it an Initiative bonus too.

The fighter's Combat Expertise replacement ability might have power issues, as a mid-level fighter could use it to gain an insanely high AC. Also, one of the main benefits of Combat Expertise is that it leads to many useful feats. I would suggest that the fighter can use this feat for prerequisites unless that contradicts other considerations of yours.

Unarmed attacks, by the PHB, already Power Attack at a 1:1 ratio. They're a specific exception to the rule about light weapons. Maybe the monk could instead treat an unarmed strike as a two-handed weapon under certain circumstances?

These are neat overall. I like the fact that they're focused on detail much of the time. I never could figure out why rogues didn't get Knowledge (dungeoneering) as a class skill.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by SofS View Post
    I really like the barbarian's Danger Sense. If it weren't likely unbalancing, I'd suggest making it an Initiative bonus too.

The fighter's Combat Expertise replacement ability might have power issues, as a mid-level fighter could use it to gain an insanely high AC. Also, one of the main benefits of Combat Expertise is that it leads to many useful feats. I would suggest that the fighter can use this feat for prerequisites unless that contradicts other considerations of yours.

Unarmed attacks, by the PHB, already Power Attack at a 1:1 ratio. They're a specific exception to the rule about light weapons. Maybe the monk could instead treat an unarmed strike as a two-handed weapon under certain circumstances?

These are neat overall. I like the fact that they're focused on detail much of the time. I never could figure out why rogues didn't get Knowledge (dungeoneering) as a class skill.
    1) Not a bad idea for the Danger Sense, I'll consider it. I feel the game is generally a bit too generous with Initiative boosters though.

2) Yes, he could get a very high AC by having a bad to-hit rate and no power attack damage. This isn't really overpowered, as he becomes a super tank without much ability to do anything if he does this. Its a situationally great option, but honestly I like giving them this trick in their bag. As for having it qualify for stuff, I'll consider that.

3) Oops... yeah, I never actually play Monks. That is simply an oversight, thanks for catching that.

4) Thank you very much, I strive to make my work detailed, consistant and were-possible elegant.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm a fan of the fighter and sorcerer changes, thank you for posting this, its always nice to see another person's take on balancing the core classes.
    This avatar brought to you by ThreeShades.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Valairn View Post
    I'm a fan of the fighter and sorcerer changes, thank you for posting this, its always nice to see another person's take on balancing the core classes.
    Thank you and you are very welcome.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

First off, while I appreciate a critique I find this introduction presumptous and midly offensive. It comes across as "this is what you did wrong, be sure to correct your mistakes now".

As to your 'notes':

1) Barbarians getting know (history) is to represent the oral traditions of various indigenious peoples and tribes. Telling of the history of the ancestors and the feats of great warriors of old was a huge part of their culture. Knowledge of history isn't necessarily academic study.

2a) I disagree that bards don't need better weapon profs, as part of being a jack-of-all-trades is being able to use decent weapons, if not terribly well.

2b) Considering that bards have alot to do with written material (poetry, stories, songs, folklore etc) and are also a subtle/sneaky/underhanded class, I would strongly disagree that it's "against their nature".

3a) I'm essentially saying I'm banning all non-phb ones until I have the time to go through them all. Recall there are ALOT of supplimental domains.

3b) I originally had something similar to that that, but I added the exceptions in because many people complained that they had a character concept that would require more flexibility. Also, it follows the diction style of other material. Thus, the more verboise but flexible wording.
    I still agree however that simple and straightforward is more ideal then verboise, inclusive and flexible.

3c) This doesn't make sense because you don't know my language system, I recommend you ignore it for the moment. If you are very interested in my language system, I can dig up the old thread for it.

4a) Then give me a better idea beyond "use shapeshift phb2 variant" which is just as limiting. If you feel fleshrakers are cool in your game, then we have different ideas of 'balanced'.

4b) It's so its not used as a disposable reasource. At least I didn't make you lose XP like if your familiar dies. Considering the companion mechanics, it wouldn't be much of a stretch logically.

5a) Fighter still has its bonus feats, these are additional buffs and free feats. I'd like a better reason to remove them then "but he gets feats!". Not to mention, the save-booster feats arent on the fighter's feat list, and uncanny dodge isnt a feat at all.

5b) This is for compliance with the PHB2 Combat Focus feats, which I am re-working to use Concentration. Yes, otherwise giving a caster skill like that to the fighter would be a bit silly.

6a) They already can do this, I just made it more practical. Compare to a wizard-style preparation.

6b) Compare it to a wizard's free metamagic feat progression, and keep in mind they are still inferior casters to the wizard.

7a) How the heck does Forgery not make sense as a skill for the most scholastic class in the game? They deal with written material constantly, its integral to their training, abilities and progression. Honestly, if wizards shouldn't have forgery, nobody should. Rogues with their sneaky nature have an equally strong but different reason to have this skill, not better.
    Sorry if that came off as rude, I realized I had to run do something when I wrote that top part in, as I did it after the notes. Didn't pay much attention to how it sounded, but I had already went through your list of changes.

1a)And I can see where you're coming from with Barbarian learning history, but that could apply to anyone. You could pass that reasoning off for just being alive. A Class really has nothing to do with it.

To be honest, it would make more sense in a civilized society, as they have schools that teach things.

2a) The whole thing about Bards needing better weapons is reasonable, but I find him to have a plenty useful weapons selection for what he does. Light, easy to use weapons, but thats just me. :p

2b) I can see the forgery argument, but Bards never come across to me as being the tricksy type.

3a) Fair enough.

3c) Ah, so you use a different system. If thats the case, pay no attention to that comment. :p

4a) Druids in Core, with Just MM 1 are broken. While removing books helps a bit, the inherent problems with druids power still exist if thats all your doing.

4b) Logically it seems like a bit of a stretch to me, but this just seems to be a different perspective on things.

5a) I should have elaborated more on my reasoning there. The fighter has so many different feets to chose from it gives him a lot of options for different builds. It just feels awkward to start giving him specific kinds of abilities, all of which are all about defense.

5b) As before, since it's for altered Mechanics reasons, it's all good.

6a) I don't recall Sorcerors being able to change what spells they know. I'll re-read the sorceror hear in a while then.

6b) Thats an argument that the wizard is better as he is right now, which I kinda find flaws as of course the wizard is better, they are overpowered.

7a) forgery doesn't make sense because a Wizard studies how to create MAgic Scrolls, they study magic, and logicaly all sorts of different knowledges, as that is a key part of what a Wizard typically is.

They do not study how to successfully mimic and create fake documents containing believalbe and/or false information.

Just because I've read a lot of books, filled out a lot of forms, and seen many different kinds of ID's does not mean I will be able to forge a fake one. That is another skill on it's own.

9. - Top - End - #9

7a) forgery doesn't make sense because a Wizard studies how to create MAgic Scrolls, they study magic, and logicaly all sorts of different knowledges, as that is a key part of what a Wizard typically is.

They do not study how to successfully mimic and create fake documents containing believalbe and/or false information.

Just because I've read a lot of books, filled out a lot of forms, and seen many different kinds of ID's does not mean I will be able to forge a fake one. That is another skill on it's own.
    Having something as a class skill isn't the same as having an in-built class ability for it. I'm saying because of all that familiarity with books and forms and such they could easily become skilled at spoting and creating forgeries.
    So yes, it is another skill, which I'm saying they can take, as a class skill, because of their experience with related matters.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Experience with forms? Outside of scrolls and books, I dont' see where a Wizard becomes associated with any form of paperwork.

I'm just not seeing how being a scholar is going to help you learn to forge documents in the slightest.

11. - Top - End - #11

Experience with forms? Outside of scrolls and books, I dont' see where a Wizard becomes associated with any form of paperwork.

I'm just not seeing how being a scholar is going to help you learn to forge documents in the slightest.
    Would you say being a woodsman and/or hunter helps you learn how to jump over obstacles better? Why? Now, think if you could change terms and apply exactly the same thing to your argument.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

A woodman and hunter yes, because you would need to jump over obsticles at times. In that case, jumping is required to be a woodsman or hunter.

Forgery is not required for reading. At any point in time.

Edit: Nor does studying various topics.
    Last edited by Corncracker; 2008-04-18 at 01:24 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Just out of curiosity, why sans Paladin?

I have some issues with shoehorning the fighter into the heavy armor guy role. Why are you specifying heavy armor here? I don't see any balance reason not to let it apply to any worn armor. I don't see any fluff justification for it either. Isn't this supposed to represent an increased skill with using armor to deflect/absorb a blow?
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2008-04-18 at 02:11 AM.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree with Skjaldbakka about the Fighters. Also, I'm in favour of Bards and Wizards getting Forgery (Bards are "Jacks of all Trades" and Wizards are academic). The Sorcerer fixes are interesting, but would they really be able to take advantage of the extra skills without more skill points?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I honestly don't think any skill should be cross-class for Bards. That whole 'jack of all trades' thing.

Of course, I wouldn't gripe too much about getting rid of cross-class skills entirely.
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

That is a good point about Bards. I'm in favour of cross-class skills due to how you'd expect certain classes to be better in some areas then others (eg: you'd expect a Fighter to be good at skills which need athleticism while lacking Knowledge skills and vice versa for Wizards).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why sans Paladin?

I have some issues with shoehorning the fighter into the heavy armor guy role. Why are you specifying heavy armor here? I don't see any balance reason not to let it apply to any worn armor. I don't see any fluff justification for it either. Isn't this supposed to represent an increased skill with using armor to deflect/absorb a blow?
    1) Half of my paladin remake is jacking onewingedangel's work. And all in all it just isn't as impressive, but if you are interested:

Spoiler
    Show
    Paladin:

-Gain Will as a good save.
    -Increase Skill Point progression from 2 to 4.
    - ‘Drop’ spell casting progression by 4 levels, granting 1st-level spells at level 1. A 5th-level spell list will be created.
    -Gain Climb, Intimidate, Knowledge (history), Knowledge (the planes), and Spellcraft as class skills.
    -Gain 1 free rank in Speak Celestial.
    -Remove Disease progression now X/day instead of X/week. It also can be used to Remove Curse , Neutralize Poison, or Lesser Restoration.
    -Gain Immunity to fear at level 3.
    -At 11th-level Detect Evil becomes a 60ft-radius. At 17th-level it has a continuous duration that does not require concentration.
    -Gain Mettle at level 12.
    -At 20th-level, gain the following:
    A Hero Never Falls (Ex)
    At 20th level, the paladin's sheer strength of will drives her on when death would claim lesser men. Once per day when a paladin would be reduced to 0 or less hp or otherwise killed (such as by a death effect), she instead is reduced to 1 hp. If the paladin would be killed by having an ability score reduced to zero, that score is instead reduced to 1.

-New Paladin Aura System:
    Switchable Auras
    All auras except Aura of Good are switchable as a move action. You may have only one aura other than Aura of Good active at a given time. These auras function while the paladin is conscious, but not while the paladin is unconscious or dead. The paladin's auras only affect her allies, and not the paladin herself.

1) Aura of Courage (Ex)
    At 3rd level, the paladin may exude an aura of courage that inspires her allies. Each ally within 30 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. Aura of Courage's bonuses scale by level. At level 8, allies gain +6 to saves against fear, and a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls. At level 13, allies gain +8 to saves against fear, and a +2 morale bonus to attack rolls. At level 18, allies gain immunity to fear, and +3 morale bonus to attack rolls. This is a switchable Aura.

2) Aura of Devotion (Ex)
    Upon reaching 8th level, the Paladin may exude an Aura of Devotion. While this ability is active, the Paladin grants a +1 morale bonus to AC to all allies within 30 feet. At level 13, this bonus increases to +2. At level 18, this bonus increases to +3. This is a switchable aura.

3) Aura of Resilience (Ex)
    Beginning at 13th level, the paladin gains Aura of Resilience. While this ability is active, the Paladin grants the ability to reroll one Fortitude save every round to any ally within a 30ft radius of her. The decision to reroll must be made after the roll is made but before the result is declared. This is a switchable Aura.

4) Aura of Faith (Ex)
    At 18th level, the paladin gains Aura of Faith. While this ability is active, the Paladin grants the ability to reroll one Will save every round to any one ally within a 30ft radius of her. The decision to reroll must be made after the roll is made but before the result is declared. This is a switchable Aura.

Paladin Variant 1: Paladin of Freedom
    As above Paladin, with the following changes;

-Increase Skill Point progression from 4 to 6.
    -Lower HD to d8.
    -Lose Fortitude and gain Reflex as a good save.
    -Lose Medium and Heavy Armor Proficiency.
    -Gain Immunity to Compulsion instead of Immunity to Fear at 3rd-level.
    -Gain Aura of Resolve instead of Aura of Courage at 3rd-level (granting a bonus against compulsion effects instead of fear effects).
    -Gain Aura of Freedom at 13th-level instead of Aura of Resilience. The aura functions off of Reflex saves, grapple checks to resist being grappled, and escape artist checks instead of Fortitude saves.
    -Remove the following spells from the paladin's spell list: discern lies, dispel chaos, magic circle against chaos, protection from chaos.
    -Add the following spells to the paladin's spell list: 1st—protection from law; 3rd—magic circle against law; 4th—dispel law, freedom of movement.
    -Gain Bluff, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Knowledge (local), Move Silently, Hide and Tumble as class skills.
    -Gain Evasion at level 5.
    -Change Smite progression from every 5 levels to every 6 levels, thus gaining 2/day at level 6, and 3/day at level 12 and so forth.
    -Code of Conduct: A paladin of freedom must be of chaotic good alignment and loses all class abilities if he ever willingly commits an evil act. Additionally, a paladin of freedom's code requires that he respect individual liberty, help those in need (provided they do not use the help for lawful or evil ends), and punish those who threaten or curtail personal liberty.

2) It seemed to suit it's class identity. But considering the ability is fairly 'meh', I'll remove the restriction. If you take 6 levels of fighter and don't want to wear good armor, fine.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I wind up with breastplates alot with my fighters. I also play a lot or multiclass fighter/rogues, so medium and light armor are pretty common with my fighters.

edit- also, *yoink*
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2008-04-18 at 03:19 AM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

19. - Top - End - #19

I wind up with breastplates alot with my fighters. I also play a lot or multiclass fighter/rogues, so medium and light armor are pretty common with my fighters.
    Sure. I play multiclass fighter/barbarians. I get you.

What do you think of this feat? Your complaint inspired me to make it.
    Note: I intend to lower Armor Specialization's BAB prereq to 6+.

Armor Mastery [General]

Prerequisites: BAB 10+, Armor Specialization, proficient with all types of armor.

Benefit: The AC granted by any armor you wear is increased by 2 and the Armor Check Penalty is reduced by 4. Furthermore, you gain Damage Reduction based on how heavy your armor is. Light armor grants DR 2/-, Medium armor grants DR 5/-, Heavy Armor grants DR 10/-. The DR granted by this feat does not stack with that granted by Armor Specialization.
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-04-18 at 05:25 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I have some reservations, but most of them are put to bed by the BAB +8 prereq. 10/- is good DR, but by level 8, it is not impervious DR.

hmm, mithral causes some issues there. Would you rule Mithral Full Plate counts as medium or heavy for that feat?
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2008-04-18 at 03:24 AM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

21. - Top - End - #21

I have some reservations, but most of them are put to bed by the BAB +8 prereq. 10/- is good DR, but by level 8, it is not impervious DR.

hmm, mithral causes some issues there. Would you rule Mithral Full Plate counts as medium or heavy for that feat?
    I decided to up the BAB prereq to 10.

As for mithral, I'm honestly not sure just yet. Right now, I'd say it "counts as medium" means it counts as medium, including when it would be beneficial otherwise. However, logically that makes signifigantly less sense, and I hate that.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd probably make the DR 2 4 and 8 respectively, 10 seems a little hight for something you could get a 6th level (assuming you do lower it to bab 6). Otherwise I'd increase the bab need to something like 10 so that stuff can actually do enough damage to hurt you with something other than a critical.
    Edit: I took too long to post I guess. Yeah, bab10 for it looks like it'll be good.
    Last edited by JackTR69; 2008-04-18 at 05:45 AM.
    GENERATION 13: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    Talk to LordRod if you want him to make you an avatar as cool as mine.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

As for mithral, I'm honestly not sure just yet. Right now, I'd say it "counts as medium" means it counts as medium, including when it would be beneficial otherwise. However, logically that makes signifigantly less sense, and I hate that.
    Yep, those were my thought. I personally dislike mechanics that require exceptions, but mithral isn't any less durable than steel. IIRC, it is stronger. But at the same time, exceptions suck.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

24. - Top - End - #24

Nice work. Two things missing, though.

A) Monks already get 12 + Level SR or something like that. Maybe you could bump that down a few levels or make it the highest amount, with the SR getting progressively better?

B) Why not simply use this paladin fix for the pally? Far as I know, it's the best thing out there, and since you're stealing a bit from it, might as well do a full steal.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Nice work. Two things missing, though.

A) Monks already get 12 + Level SR or something like that. Maybe you could bump that down a few levels or make it the highest amount, with the SR getting progressively better?

B) Why not simply use this paladin fix for the pally? Far as I know, it's the best thing out there, and since you're stealing a bit from it, might as well do a full steal.
    The innate resistance is replaced by the monk's ability and increases the monk's ability by 2.

As for that, there's a couple things that his doesn't do that I wanted and a few that it does that I don't like. Mainly though, because its an entirely new system and I am trying to keep things relatively simple and close to the original material.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

I liked those, nice work.

The Druid's nerf makes total sense. But I'd consider the shapeshift variant to make things less complicated. However, it is good enough for some power limitation.

I had some similar ideas for a fighter fix. I second them.

One thing that is bugging me however is the spell resistance. It is, in my op, an anti-pvp measure... I believe that true balance stands on lowering the casters' powers.

Now, I found most of your ideas interesting ones, do I have permission to use them to base/complement my own homebrews and house rules?

I know the Paladin from wizards' forum is the best one, but I'd like to know your opinion on mine. If you have some time, check the link in my signature.

- Fawsto
    Paladin Review - A Class Balance by me
    Link

Originally Posted by Dyllan

Fawsto is definitely a lawyer. Nothing against what you said, Fawsto - but I've never read anything that sounded more like it came from a lawyer. :-)
    "Justice and liberty/You can't buy/But you don't get it free"
    - Bruce Dickinson, Born in 58

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Fawsto View Post
    I liked those, nice work.

The Druid's nerf makes total sense. But I'd consider the shapeshift variant to make things less complicated. However, it is good enough for some power limitation.

I had some similar ideas for a fighter fix. I second them.

One thing that is bugging me however is the spell resistance. It is, in my op, an anti-pvp measure... I believe that true balance stands on lowering the casters' powers.

Now, I found most of your ideas interesting ones, do I have permission to use them to base/complement my own homebrews and house rules?

I know the Paladin from wizards' forum is the best one, but I'd like to know your opinion on mine. If you have some time, check the link in my signature.

- Fawsto
    I'm fine with people using the shapeshift variant. It's well written and very flavorful and nicely balances the class. However, I wanted to make the core druid, with the companion and such usable as well.

The Innate Resistance is partly for flavor reasons and mainly to protect higher-level melee characters from being irritated by low level casters or low caster level partial casters. It's not really useful at all for PvP, since lvl 10 barbarian vs lvl 10 wizard will have the wizzie auto-suceeding on his SR checks.

As for using my work, sure. My feeling is that everyone should be playing this way, so if you use it to do so I have no problem. Just don't pass it off as your own work, that would piss me off. Thanks for asking.

I will do so shortly, and thank you very much for the positive feedback.

EDIT: For those interested, the new fighter looks like this:

Spoiler
    Show
    Fighter:

-Gain Defensive Combat: You may subtract a number from your attack rolls and add it to your AC as a Dodge bonus. This number may not exceed your fighter level. Does not stack with Combat Expertise. A fighter of 5th level or higher may use this to count as Combat Expertise for the purposes of prerequisites.
    -Gain a +1 Armor bonus to AC (stacks with normal armor) while wearing armor at 6th-level and every 6 levels thereafter (12th,18th).
    -Gain Concentration as a class skill.
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-04-18 at 06:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Overall, I like much. However I have some comments/suggestions/questions.

Barbarian:
    As the barbarian gets trap sense at the same levels its Reflex save increases, this effectively doubles its Reflex save. That being the case, I'd consider just giving the class a good Reflex save, and making this Danger Sense simply a dodge bonus to AC.

Barbarian:
    -Gain Knowledge (history) and Spot as class skills.
    Why Knowledge (history) instead of, say, Knowledge (nature)?

Barbarian:
    I see this one duplicated a lot. Perhaps it'd be better to just give everyone this progression, and make all other SR sources bonuses of some sort? I can't decide.

Bard:
    Why three? And...does "1-handed" include light weapons?

Cleric:
    -Gain 1 free rank in Speak Celestial, Infernal or Abyssal (according to alignment)
    Yes, I'm curious about the alluded-to language system.

Druid:
    Wild Shape was errata'd to behave like the alternate form ability instead of the polymorph spell; among other things this means you no longer heal from using Wild Shape.

Druid:
    -If your animal companion dies, you may not replace him until a period of morning equal to 1 month + 1 month per 2 levels.
    The extra month per two levels is rather harsh....A couple mistakes at high level and you're out an animal companion for half a year? The year and a day for a familiar is similarly harsh, true, but at least the familiar gets the benefit of its master's saves and is usually small enough that it can hide.

Fighter:
    I'd just make this a bonus to the save of your choice; so you can still take the feat if you want a particular save to be "really" high.

Sorcerer:
    -Gain Metamagic Familiarity at 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th level: At each level, choose a metamagic feat that you know, that feat costs 1 spell level less to apply, and doesn’t require extra time to cast (as normal for spontaneous casters). You may not select the same feat multiple times.
    I don't like this. It penalizes someone hasn't picked sufficient metamagic feats. I would suggest something similar to the Wu Jen's spell secrets, where you pick a metamagic feat from a short list and get it for free (no slot increase) on a particular spell, and don't need to know the feat in question.

Wizard:
    This isn't really specific to your changes...but it bugs me that you have to be good at making forgeries to be good at detecting forgeries. Maybe wizards (or everyone) could use Decipher Script to detect forgeries, and not need to get another class skill?

I notice the Ranger isn't represented. Why is that? Do you think it's fine as is, or are you getting rid of it entirely?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

29. - Top - End - #29

Wow, didn't expect this to get more attention. Not that I'm not happy to field more responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Overall, I like much. However I have some comments/suggestions/questions.
    Thanks and no problem.

As the barbarian gets trap sense at the same levels its Reflex save increases, this effectively doubles its Reflex save. That being the case, I'd consider just giving the class a good Reflex save, and making this Danger Sense simply a dodge bonus to AC.

Why Knowledge (history) instead of, say, Knowledge (nature)?
    I didn't realize that regarding the Ref. save, I'll consider it. As for the knowledge thing, see where I addressed this above. I would just be repeating myself.

I see this one duplicated a lot. Perhaps it'd be better to just give everyone this progression, and make all other SR sources bonuses of some sort? I can't decide.
    The idea is to give it to the more melee-oriented classes. Basically if it has full BAB and at least 8 HD I give it the resistance. Also, I have feats that allow one to enhance this ability. I also discuss this earlier in the thread.

Why three? And...does "1-handed" include light weapons?
    Three because I wanted to improve their selection and the adaptability of the class but not give them all martial proficiency. And yes, it includes light weapons.

Yes, I'm curious about the alluded-to language system.
    I'll dig up a link to it and edit it in. But my thread concerning 3.5 Skill Changes also includes most of it.

EDIT: Here we go.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74094

Wild Shape was errata'd to behave like the alternate form ability instead of the polymorph spell; among other things this means you no longer heal from using Wild Shape.
    Probably, but my group doesn't check and index all the errata, so having this here is still relivant.

The extra month per two levels is rather harsh....A couple mistakes at high level and you're out an animal companion for half a year? The year and a day for a familiar is similarly harsh, true, but at least the familiar gets the benefit of its master's saves and is usually small enough that it can hide.
    Meh, I'll probably just change both to be more reasonable. Nonetheless I hate it being used as a disposable reasource.

I'd just make this a bonus to the save of your choice; so you can still take the feat if you want a particular save to be "really" high.
    Well, gaining bonus feats is the style of the class. Also, this allows you to qualify for some PrCs or feats. Finally, I buffed those feats slightly so its a bit better to get the feat instead of just a bonus.

I don't like this. It penalizes someone hasn't picked sufficient metamagic feats. I would suggest something similar to the Wu Jen's spell secrets, where you pick a metamagic feat from a short list and get it for free (no slot increase) on a particular spell, and don't need to know the feat in question.
    I don't want it to just be a clone of the wizard's ability. Yes, it does require you to take metamagic feats, but honestly I feel this is a pretty powerful and very flavorful ability. I might consider your suggestion as an ACF or variant of my class though.

This isn't really specific to your changes...but it bugs me that you have to be good at making forgeries to be good at detecting forgeries. Maybe wizards (or everyone) could use Decipher Script to detect forgeries, and not need to get another class skill?
    I hear you. I just lumped the skills together, see my skill changes thread.

I notice the Ranger isn't represented. Why is that? Do you think it's fine as is, or are you getting rid of it entirely?
    What the hell? How did that manage to happen? I'll edit in the ranger. Thanks for the catch.
    Last edited by Kizara; 2008-04-25 at 10:47 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

As for the knowledge thing, see where I addressed this above. I would just be repeating myself.
    I see why you chose Knowledge (history), but not why you didn't choose Knowledge (nature). Just curious, I'd think nature knowledge would be more easily acquired.

The idea is to give it to the more melee-oriented classes. Basically if it has full BAB and at least 8 HD I give it the resistance. Also, I have feats that allow one to enhance this ability. I also discuss this earlier in the thread.
    I guess I failed to be clear...I was wondering if you'd considered the possibility of simply making it an ability of all creatures, and making everything else SR related a bonus to it. I imagine anyone could do well to resist the spells of lower-level casters. (It'd make for a nice universal SR system too; everything has SR equal to its HD, the full-BAB classes get a +2 bonus, everyone qualifies for whatever boosting feat, etc. etc.)

Meh, I'll probably just change both to be more reasonable. Nonetheless I hate it being used as a disposable reasource.
    Oh, I understand that; but on the other hand accidents happen even if you take care. And given that you're retaining the AC/Str/Dex/HD bonuses (even though slowed), you're obviously still expecting the animal companion to participate in combat, which puts it at risk. I don't imagine you want druids to send their animal companions off to hide whenever combat comes.

I hear you. I just lumped the skills together, see my skill changes thread.
    Where is it? Perhaps I'm blind, but I looked through the last seven pages of the homebrew forum and didn't see such a thread.

What the hell? How did that manage to happen? I'll edit in the ranger. Thanks for the catch.
    Ahh. Well, only comment I have is: Gather Information, Knowledge (local), and Sense Motive are usually more city-oriented skills; not really well suited for a wilderness type (and indeed, the urban ranger variant gets those in lieu of some wilderness-oriented skills). Any particular reason those have been added?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas