New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default New Economy and New Calender have i missed anything easily abusable?

There are 10 days in a week, 4 weeks a month, 9 months a year.

Crafting, Profession, and similar checks are made as one coin level higher (craft in silver per day, gold per week, profession in platinum).

Edit2: Profession checks are made daily instead of weekly.

Businesses make profit checks weekly instead of monthly. Businesses take a -15 to profit checks instead of -25.

Strongholds calculate profit/costs monthly instead of yearly.

Magical crafting is not altered.

Edit: This is me looking for new calenders and such for a new setting.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-10-15 at 12:43 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: New Economy and New Calender have i missed anything easily abusable?

you'll need to up the cost to hire NPC's accordingly since they can make a whole lot more money performing a profession than by holding a torch for a bunch of psycotic "heroes"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: New Economy and New Calender have i missed anything easily abusable?

Quote Originally Posted by Malroth View Post
    you'll need to up the cost to hire NPC's accordingly since they can make a whole lot more money performing a profession than by holding a torch for a bunch of psycotic "heroes"
    Very good point. I missed that. Let me make a sleight edit, now that I think about it. That "platinum" profession thing is going to make hiring a cook WAY too expensive.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

It's probably best to just leave the economy of a D&D world alone. Unless your group is really into economic theory (not impossible, but unlikely) they'll probably never even notice, much less appreciate, any changes to the in-game economy. That is, of course, unless it has a noticeable, negative impact on them.

Getting a realistic and functional economy into D&D would require a complete overhaul. You'd probably be better off just adapting d20 modern's wealth check system, if you really can't stand the existing numbers. It's a straight-foward abstraction that represents the complexity of economy in a way that doesn't slow the game to a crawl cyphering all the variables in the aquisition and distribution of assests.

But like I said to begin with, it's probably best to just adapt the MST3K mantra here; "It's just a game."

Edit: come to think of it, there was a whole thread on the topic of D&D's economy's brokenness not long ago. It's probably still somewhere in the first five pages. Let me look.

Edit 2: Way off, it's all the way back on page 13 about half-way down. Titled "fully functional <something> economies."
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-15 at 01:05 AM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    It's probably best to just leave the economy of a D&D world alone. Unless your group is really into economic theory (not impossible, but unlikely) they'll probably never even notice, much less appreciate, any changes to the in-game economy. That is, of course, unless it has a noticeable, negative impact on them.

Getting a realistic and functional economy into D&D would require a complete overhaul. You'd probably be better off just adapting d20 modern's wealth check system, if you really can't stand the existing numbers. It's a straight-foward abstraction that represents the complexity of economy in a way that doesn't slow the game to a crawl cyphering all the variables in the aquisition and distribution of assests.

But like I said to begin with, it's probably best to just adapt the MST3K mantra here; "It's just a game."

Edit: come to think of it, there was a whole thread on the topic of D&D's economy's brokenness not long ago. It's probably still somewhere in the first five pages. Let me look.
    I'm not really trying to "fix" the system. I'm keeping it a game, I'm just trying to make a few simple changes that will actually make my people want to buy land and property rather than just blow every gold piece they have on armor and weapons.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I see. You could do like I do and only count actuall permanent and semipermanent magic items against their WBL and otherwise give out excessive treasure. If they get too many magic items for their WBL it's time for banditry and sunderers.

Naturally, I've informed the players of this particular facet of my game. The fact that I like to do political stuff that makes the murder-hobo archetype somewhat less than productive most of the time probably helps too. Being a member of at least an organization, if not a community, is a big thing. It can be very difficult to get things done otherwise, and organizations don't think much of members that don't bring anything to the table but talent in many cases.

In answer to your orginal question, now that the obvious one has been caught, I don't see any loopholes that immediately stand out.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

7. - Top - End - #7

EvilClericGuy

Our games wind up being 80-90 percent economics because our DM doesn't believe in loot. so we wind up REALLY wishing the crafting and profession rules were better.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Our games wind up being 80-90 percent economics because our DM doesn't believe in loot. so we wind up REALLY wishing the crafting and profession rules were better.
    Why not just use one of the well known economy shattering tricks to catch up to your actuall WBL? Or is your DM the kind of DM that'd throw a fit over that sort of thing?

I guess that doesn't work if you tend to run low-level games either.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

That sounds awful. Has anyone spoken to the DM about this? I mean, I can't speak for you, much less your whole group, but you don't exactly sound thrilled about this. There's something wrong if the DM is running games his players don't really want to play.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

I would like everyone to please note that to my knowledge I am NOT the DM he speaks of.

11. - Top - End - #11

Goblin

Have you considered just making professions and craft skill work like the speak language skill? It's just something you either know how to do or not and if you know how to do it and work is available you can get paid a certain amount per week for your labor. It's not exactly true to life, but it beats having janitors and lawyers being paid exactly the same amount per week. (And it's not like professions really give enough benefit to be worth investing in at high levels anyway.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saidoro View Post
    Have you considered just making professions and craft skill work like the speak language skill? It's just something you either know how to do or not and if you know how to do it and work is available you can get paid a certain amount per week for your labor. It's not exactly true to life, but it beats having janitors and lawyers being paid exactly the same amount per week. (And it's not like professions really give enough benefit to be worth investing in at high levels anyway.)
    The only real use that those skills really have is for prerequisites, and this suggestion kind of messes with those.

Otherwise, though, this is about as good an approach as any. Personally, I straight-up eliminate Profession altogether except for prereqs, telling people they can claim to be a competent professional at any profession they care to include in their backstory, no pointless skill point tax involved.

13. - Top - End - #13

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Answerer View Post
    The only real use that those skills really have is for prerequisites, and this suggestion kind of messes with those.
    Well, that and breaking all-warforged parties. If the prerequisites bother you just require an equal number of ranks in some related skill. Everyone has craft and profession as class skills, it's not like those prereqs were keeping anyone away from the stuff they wanted anyway.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saidoro View Post
    Well, that and breaking all-warforged parties. If the prerequisites bother you just require an equal number of ranks in some related skill. Everyone has craft and profession as class skills, it's not like those prereqs were keeping anyone away from the stuff they wanted anyway.
    Almost. All the Core PC classes have Craft... but the Barbarian and Fighter are missing Profession.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

15. - Top - End - #15

Goblin

Huh. Never noticed that. Seems a rather odd that a fighter or barbarian could be a decorative basketweaver but not, say, a career soldier or something.
    Still, I guess it makes as much sense as anything else in core.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

I personally consider Craft and Profession to be universal class skills, and consider any class that lacks them in its entry to have a typographical error.