New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Bleach in The Playground: Renewed Revolution (Setup And Discussion)

No offence Frozen, non to you either Terry, but I have to agree with Tebryn. KD and Ricarru may have been something that happened a while ago but you can't let it color how you play. I played in the Twilight Lynching games for a well over two years now. While you did get the occasional power gamer everyone managed to work things out because they kept cool heads and could reasonably see, 'yeah I don't think my character can get out of this.'

Sometimes you had a GM that was merciful and found a way to revive them. Others 'Nope sorry dead and gone, but you left a kickin' legacy though'. We communicated and knew the boundaries of our characters and respected that.

I can see what you mean Tebryn and I have had that feeling as well. I came into this hoping that at least my favorite character (The only one I've posted thus far) will no be killed though I am aware that it is a possibility. I also know that if you want to tell a story you can't have characters dying left and right either. Because then you have to make new ones who have not made an impact on the story. Then the process repeats once they have, if they even get that chance.

Plus setting up an entire new system, having to become familiar with it, and even reworking how our characters have been presented seems a little extreme given that the game hasn't even started yet.
    Last edited by AnimeKid; 2012-09-13 at 12:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Seconding Tebryn here.

I have a lot of problems with that kind of a game system. I appreciate the effort you put into it, and I understand you're trying to deal with what is a common and serious problem in freeform RP, but learning a new system is not the reason many of us came to the freeform section in the first place.

I'd at least be willing to entertain the notion of a straight die roll if it really comes to that. Before then, I would call in a neutral third party to try and make a fair call based on the given circumstances and the information in the profiles.

On a side note, I also have a problem with forced death and forced other injuries the way Frozen Feet described them. Loss can be great for character development, but only if the character has a chance to suffer loss and grow afterward. Start forcing those kinds of things and leaving them up to the victor leads to players, not just characters, not wanting to lose ever, which leads to players being afraid of any loss, which leads to resorting to any measure to make sure they win, which leads to the very types of arguments we're addressing in the first place.

EDIT: Just a possible suggestion. Maybe at some point those of us with multiple characters should mark one or two as "main" characters, that is, characters we'd like to actually develop and roleplay as, as opposed to other characters, who might be fun, but are expendable. Then we'd at least know that we're intending for the "main" characters to survive the encounter, even if that does mean being beaten to an unconscious bloody pulp instead of dying (and let's face it, you can survive a helluva lot in the Bleach universe).
    Last edited by DiscipleofBob; 2012-09-13 at 12:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm hardly worried of the particular players joining in the game. They're just a perfect illustration of some big problems with the last game - namely, too much mulling over details compared to decisions made.

It's a bit hard to not try to account and fix the problems that lead to that; after all, I put about two years of effort into the game and had to watch it slowly choke in its troubles for too much of it.

This is also why I find it strangely funny DiscipleBob liked the idea of a GM group better than a rules system, because I only talked about such group in context of it failing. Seriously, we tried it. All I'll say on the matter is that if you decide on a group with more than one member, it better have more than one active member.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    It's a bit hard to not try to account and fix the problems that lead to that; after all, I put about two years of effort into the game and had to watch it slowly choke in its troubles for too much of it.
    I feel your pain there. I ran a Trigun-esque RP on a basically private forum for several years, and we fell into many of the pitfalls that freeform RP's can fall into.

This is also why I find it strangely funny DiscipleBob liked the idea of a GM group better than a rules system, because I only talked about such group in context of it failing. Seriously, we tried it. All I'll say on the matter is that if you decide on a group with more than one member, it better have more than one active member.
    At least with a third party making the decision, it's based off of someone making a (hopefully) rational decision than a die toss.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    EDIT: Just a possible suggestion. Maybe at some point those of us with multiple characters should mark one or two as "main" characters, that is, characters we'd like to actually develop and roleplay as, as opposed to other characters, who might be fun, but are expendable. Then we'd at least know that we're intending for the "main" characters to survive the encounter, even if that does mean being beaten to an unconscious bloody pulp instead of dying (and let's face it, you can survive a helluva lot in the Bleach universe).
    Sawada is certainly my main and I really doubt I'll be making another character until he dies. Kenpachi Osuma...will probably die early. If not early...he'll be dying for sure. He was built to die. I have a problem with killing my characters to be honest. It's exactly the opposite issue that Frozen Feet raised. I don't know how not to torment and hurt my characters.

I am still happy, if the rest of the players decide to, merge the 11th and the Sixth with you Bob to create the Combat Division. We can still keep our original write ups and just say that the eventual closeness of the two divisions ended up having them merge on the field of battle and now they're just the Joint Gotei Combat Division with Osuma and the Pirate Queen as it's joint heads and Sawada and Kiba the Second in Commands. Heck, having Osuma die will give said Joint Gotei Combat Division even more reason to be ravenous blood hounds ever on.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Bleach in The Playground: Renewed Revolution (Setup And Discussion)

I quite like that system, Frozen. It seems very fun and free compared to many of the heavier systems out there. Particularly with how much it leaves to player narrative. Certainly would have much fun playing it.

I think it might unfortunately not fit the free-form style of this game, but it very much would prevent some terrible pitfalls. I really want to hope that big arguments will not happen again, but it is very important to learn from the mistakes of the past.
    Those who do not learn from history is doomed to repeat it, after all.

While I really would like to play that system, it might fit more as a collaborate game in another part of the sub-forums. Fun, but perhaps not for the experience people wish to get from this game. ^_^'

Perhaps we could use the GM-group concept and allow for everybody to vote if they are not present at the time of a conflict?

And now on to steal the time to write up my characters! Will we be using the four-division style? I like that idea. ^_^
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I quite like that system, Frozen. It seems very fun and free compared to many of the heavier systems out there. Particularly with how much it leaves to player narrative. Certainly would have much fun playing it.

I think it might unfortunately not fit the free-form style of this game, but it very much would prevent some terrible pitfalls. I really want to hope that big arguments will not happen again, but it is very important to learn from the mistakes of the past.

While I really would like to play that system, it might fit more as a collaborate game in another part of the sub-forums. Fun, but perhaps not for the experience people wish to get from this game. ^_^'
    I like the system too. If we made a game based around it I'd probably put in a character App for it.

Perhaps we could use the GM-group concept and allow for everybody to vote if they are not present at the time of a conflict?
    I don't think this is a bad idea. We've got a small number of players at the moment so really it shouldn't take to long or be like pulling teeth.

And now on to steal the time to write up my characters! Will we be using the four-division style? I like that idea. ^_^
    I like it as well but I'm not going to push for it unless Bob is ok combining the Sixth and 11th.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm okay with it as well as long as Naijeru still got his own group. Like a platoon with him as the leader. Cause I really wanted an entire squad(platoon, whatever floats your boat) that basically treated each other like close family and good drinking buddies.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    I like it as well but I'm not going to push for it unless Bob is ok combining the Sixth and 11th.
    Hm... I don't necessarily oppose the restructuring of the Divisions. It especially makes sense during a major war time... "No, we don't need the party-planning division, or the magazine division, or the division that does nothing but dress up like Yakuza..."

On the other hand, I do like the flavor of having the two Divsions as is. One Division is made up of usual brute force soldiers, the other using kido and other tricks as well, and one raking up all the casualties, the other utilizing strategy and tactics. It could make for some very interesting rivalries and RP conflicts in-game.

Suggestion for possible plot point:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The squads start out as the usual 13 Squads, but after the first major hollow attack, which could occur before or during the RP itself, major losses cause the Gotei 13 to be restructured. Osuma could've been killed at that point, and so the 6th and 11th squads are merged. Everyone else thinks it's a good idea since they'd seem to compliment one another, but everyone within the two divisions are appalled at having to work with those stupid ape brutes/sissy kido pansies.

Especially if the 11th Squad refuses to accept anyone but a Kenpachi as leader, and if Osuma is killed by hollows, there's no real way to appoint a new one. Mizuki, if she's still alive at that point, realizes there's no way she'd be accepted by the 11th Squad as the new Kenpachi, due to the whole Kido thing, and it becomes a plot point to find, train, and appoint a new Kenpachi (possibly Kiba, but that would require a lot of training since while the guy's tough as nails, he doesn't even have shikai.)

Meanwhile, the whole time Sawada and Kiba have to deal with each other as co-Vice-Captains with clashing personalities in a hilarious situation comedy, kind of like the Odd Couple but with more violence.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    I'm okay with it as well as long as Naijeru still got his own group. Like a platoon with him as the leader. Cause I really wanted an entire squad(platoon, whatever floats your boat) that basically treated each other like close family and good drinking buddies.
    May I make a suggestion, AnimeKid? Feel free to take or ignore it as you see fit:

Spoiler
    Show
    That's very similar to the 6th Squad's current fluff already. If we're going to condense the Squads, maybe you could consider making your character a seated officer instead of a Squad Captain. You'd still get the comraderie you're looking for, and if you're 3rd Seat for example, you'd still have a fair amount of control over the rest of the Squad, including possibly your own platoon. And there is precedent for a seated officer to have Bankai. It'd still make sense for your backstory since Mizuki's current captain.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm... I don't necessarily oppose the restructuring of the Divisions. It especially makes sense during a major war time... "No, we don't need the party-planning division, or the magazine division, or the division that does nothing but dress up like Yakuza..."

On the other hand, I do like the flavor of having the two Divsions as is. One Division is made up of usual brute force soldiers, the other using kido and other tricks as well, and one raking up all the casualties, the other utilizing strategy and tactics. It could make for some very interesting rivalries and RP conflicts in-game.

Suggestion for possible plot point:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The squads start out as the usual 13 Squads, but after the first major hollow attack, which could occur before or during the RP itself, major losses cause the Gotei 13 to be restructured. Osuma could've been killed at that point, and so the 6th and 11th squads are merged. Everyone else thinks it's a good idea since they'd seem to compliment one another, but everyone within the two divisions are appalled at having to work with those stupid ape brutes/sissy kido pansies.

Especially if the 11th Squad refuses to accept anyone but a Kenpachi as leader, and if Osuma is killed by hollows, there's no real way to appoint a new one. Mizuki, if she's still alive at that point, realizes there's no way she'd be accepted by the 11th Squad as the new Kenpachi, due to the whole Kido thing, and it becomes a plot point to find, train, and appoint a new Kenpachi (possibly Kiba, but that would require a lot of training since while the guy's tough as nails, he doesn't even have shikai.)

Meanwhile, the whole time Sawada and Kiba have to deal with each other as co-Vice-Captains with clashing personalities in a hilarious situation comedy, kind of like the Odd Couple but with more violence.
    I like this idea though I think we can still do it even if they're combined. It is a Joint operation so it wasn't meant to be something that was something that had happened a long time ago or was meant to be forever.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

May I make a suggestion, AnimeKid? Feel free to take or ignore it as you see fit:

Spoiler
    Show
    That's very similar to the 6th Squad's current fluff already. If we're going to condense the Squads, maybe you could consider making your character a seated officer instead of a Squad Captain. You'd still get the comraderie you're looking for, and if you're 3rd Seat for example, you'd still have a fair amount of control over the rest of the Squad, including possibly your own platoon. And there is precedent for a seated officer to have Bankai. It'd still make sense for your backstory since Mizuki's current captain.
    Hmm. Sounds like a good idea to me. Mizuki also gets a squad member that won't fuss. If they can get called the Nakama squad then I'm sold. Naijeru might have a bit more popularity than Mizuki, bet she is the better boss.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

The Joint Gotei Combat Division

Captains: Kaizoku Mizuki and Kenpachi Osuma

Vice Captains: Kiba and Yasunobu “Kurohime" Sawada

Seated Officers (The Dragon Fangs): Hijū Naijeru

Unseated Officers(The Grunts): Suou Nicole

History: Created last of the restructured Soul Society, the Joint Gotei Combat Division was forged from the deep and long running bonds of the Sixth and 11th Division of days past along with a good portion of the Second Divisions Assassination organization, the Onmitsukidō and a good portion of the Kido Corp focused more towards Hado. This union has not however been without incident, the two former Divisions keeping much of their previous structure the same despite their new designation. Former Sixth and 11th Division leadership has a predictably difficult time keeping the other former Division in line without the instance of their Captains though this is probably owing to the force of personality the two heads of the organization. The individual histories of the two Divisions can be found below.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Sixth Division

Spoiler
    Show
    The Sixth Division has always had a reputation of loyal warriors, rowdy parties and a bent for the unusual in every aspect of their Division Life. Names of the Sixth Division Captains are well know for even if one holds the title of Captain through Soul Society, within the Sixth one must die in battle against overwhelming odds to be considered a true Captain. Such standards take their toll on those who follow such rules, the Sixth suffering the highest casualty rate of any single Division as well as the longest period of time without an acting Captain owing to strict laws within the Division for even electing a leader for their Division. It is said that one can always tell a member of the Sixth for their lack of manners, bare and dirty feet and loud laughter that follows when ever there is more than a group of three about. Women are more common in the Division then men and though they prize warriors over all other walks of life, Kido is well practiced and well regarded. The Division members are often referred to as Warrior Poets and Berserkers, two sides of the warrior coin. Due to their warrior spirit, the Sixth enjoys a rivalry with the 11th Division and since time immemorial the Captains of the Sixth and 11th have been almost bound by fate to be close and fast friends regardless of the age. Along with this rivalry the Sixth have held a constant streak of independence through out their Division since the very first Captain and are loyal only to the current Captain Commander. Thus, nobles are unwelcome almost completely within the Division and the Division will take no members of the Noble Class into their ranks.

Competition is a major part of the Division, the life of the Sixth on and off the battlefield run by only the best. On the field, the Sixth Division constantly cry out their kill count, collect trophies and wildly fight against back up at any cost. Off the field the Sixth hold nightly festivals where music, poetry and dancing are common. Bragging is another staple of these festivals, members of the Division making tall tales of their exploits to the wider audience, part play and part stand up comedy with each competitor trying to one up the previous contestant. These nightly festivals are open to all members of Soul Society save for nobles, who are loudly ejected should any turn up though the purpose is two fold. One cannot take the fight out of the warrior and though the nights away from death and devastation are marked by heavy partying, loud music and food the constant fear of fights run through every event most often between drunken members of the Sixth and 11th Division. These fights turn the festivals into boxing matches, even if other Divisions or Festival enjoyers are swift to move away, the Sixth Division is swift to swoop in and set up a wall of bodies to let the combatants continue until the fight is over or death is imminent.

The Division Grounds

The Sixth Division Grounds within Soul Society is one of the smallest of any Division, a single main building sitting in the middle of the otherwise unworked forests and well maintained gardens. Tent barracks are the most common form of building in the Sixth Division, always a step away from being torn down in a moments notice. The Division Grounds of the Sixth are exactly what one could expect from a group of people always on the field of battle.

Division Make up

The Captain:

The Vice Captain: Yasunobu Sawada

Fangs of the Dragon: Said to be named after the first Captain of the Divisions Bankai, the Fangs of the Dragon are the numbered members of the Sixth Division, running from the third to the sixteenth. Members of the Fangs are denoted by a their wild clothing, often torn and left un-repaired from previous fights.

The Masses: The un-numbered members of the Division and arguably the most violent and boisterous of the Sixth Division. The Masses unlike the rest of the Division fight en mass in mob tactics, punching and kicking enemies down until the weight of the Masses crush foes under foot.

Penitent Squads: Owing to their massive casualty rates, the Sixth have traditionally granted criminals their freedom on the condition that they fight in the Sixth Division until death. These men and women are forever marked in by an ancient Kido in rituals the Sixth hold secret. These ancient spells bind each member of the Penitent’s reiatsu, only released when the Division is ready for battle. Strong rules and generations of precedent keep the Squads from running amuck, a single crime committed dooms the entire squad back to the prisons and Maggots Nest for life. However, members of the Penitent Squad are encouraged to join the Division in their various festivals and games.

Notable Bits about the Sixth Division

The Long House: The central building of the Sixth Division Grounds, the Long House is the dining hall for all members of the Division and is open to the public regardless of class or age. Even nobles are allowed in the Long House though if they expect to be treated differently they are always in for a often times humiliating surprise. The upper floors of the Long House hold offices for the Captain and Vice Captain but they are cramped affairs.

The Graves of Cicada: The Gravestones of all previous Sixth Division Captains, each having fallen in battle against Hollows. Those Captains who have passed without incident are not granted a headstone, their names written on the floor of the Graves of Cicada so they can be stepped on for their lack of worth to the Division and to Soul Society.

Bob will be making the Captain for my Division though I suspect he's already passed away.

Spoiler
    Show
    The 11th Division has a reputation as a crowd of outlaws and vagabonds, and one that's well-deserved. 11th Division is for those who excel at nothing but fighting. Many Shinigami just starting out in the ranks find themselves here, either because they haven't developed any specific talents or proficiencies yet, or because they're eager to get in on the action soon. Kido and anything but straightforward physical Zanpakuto, while not explicitly banned, are silently frowned upon, as it's sort of an unwritten rule to always fight without what the 11th Division refers to as "cheap tricks."

Despite their reputation as a wild pack of outlaws, when it comes time to go to war, everyone looks to the 11th Division to lead the charge. The members are always eager to join the front line, and they are very good at what they do. They have a surprisingly low casualty rate, and even though they seem disorganized and bloodthirsty, the Captain and seated members are actually either skilled or intuitive in combat tactics, able to organize charges and retreats with the most efficiency. Their tactics are ideal for minimizing casualties even in the face of a stronger opponent, and even if the grunts would throw their lives away needlessly, the Captain and seated officers command retreats often, and even the greenest of grunts know better than to disregard those orders.

Women are rare within the division. The 11th Division is very much a boys' club of drunken frat boys, and most women who'd be able to stomach the environment and put up with the harassment would much rather join the 6th Division which is much more open. Although there are exceptions of both genders on either side, the rivalry between the two warrior divisions has earned 11th Division the somewhat derogatory nickname of "the boys' locker room" and the 6th Division "the girls' locker room." The two captains despite this rivalry share a friendship that's lasted longer than any of the squad members can remember, and there are regular cross-division festivals and tournaments held between the two, though ever since Kiba's taken over as Vice-Captain, cross-division training sessions are rare.

The most important aspect of the 11th Division is loyalty. No matter what they may seem like off the field, the 11th Division is built on comradery and respect for strength. Each member would gladly die for their fellow 11th Squad members, and the Captain and Vice-Captain positions are something to be idolized and coveted. To be insubordinate is seen as a direct challenge to your superior, and direct challenges are met with battle. The seated officer ranks change often and promotions and demotions are common because all one has to do to usurp the seat above them is to beat them in recognized combat (once again, no "cheap tricks"). Only the Vice-Captain is allowed to challenge the Captain, which is rare in itself because of the sheer disparity in power between the lieutenant class and the captain class, and no one tries to challenge the current Vice-Captain because he regularly fights the entire 11th Division at once in training, and hasn't come close to losing yet. To disobey a direct order from a higher rank in the division during wartime is grounds for immediate dismissal. Kiba regularly "challenges" the Captain with a straight-up fight, which the Captain refers to as his regular workout since Kiba always gets curb-stomped.

The 11th Division grounds are a large set of training grounds, obstacle courses, and bunk beds with few amenities other than a mess hall. Most of the buildings are run-down and falling apart with the exception of the captain's quarters which is always immaculate. The Vice-Captain's quarters sit unused, as Kiba prefers to either sleep on one of the rooftops or underneath a random awning when it's precipitating.

Captain: Kenpachi Osuma ((more info pending on Tebryn))

Vice-Captain: Kiba - Kiba became the Vice-Captain unofficially when the previous Vice-Captain was killed in battle. Someone else was scheduled to take the position, someone more proficient in the bureaucratic aspects of the position. Said someone tried to give Kiba an order as a superior. Said someone spent several weeks in the medical ward before requesting a transfer to a different squad. No one else dared to take the position afterward, leaving Kiba the position by default. Only taking orders from his captain, the man who took him in and trained the beast out of him in the first place, He's rough on his subordinates, and trains them hard every day. The "training" actually consists of Kiba fighting the entire squad at once with his bare hands, the squad allowed to use anything that isn't considered a "cheap trick" like Kido or illusion-based Zanpakuto. Usually Kiba only seriously injures about a half-dozen members in the process.

Seated Officers - The Seated Officers change regularly, as all one needs for a promotion or to usurp a current seat is to defeat that officer in single, fair combat. No "cheap tricks" are allowed, and a witness must be present. While the official numbered seats are mostly unknown to everyone else for this reason, the Seated Officers proudly boast which seat they currently are as they're basically titles of 3rd-strongest, 4th-strongest, etc. in the 11th Division.

Grunts - The unseated officers are treated as military grunts. They are trained to their physical peak every day. Obstacle courses, sparring matches, endurance training, everything one could think of. The stress from such work causes many new recruits to quit or request transfer as soon as possible, but those that stay become part of a deep comraderie within the unit. They'll stand up for one another in mob force, they'll never leave a man behind in combat, and anyone who does fall in battle gets a hero's funeral. Many of the Grunts joined because the current Captain was and is an idol to them.

Road to Hell - The Road to Hell is the name of an obstacle course that's been added to since the forming of the division. It's a long and trying endurance run that one needs to be in absolute peak physical condition to attempt. Some Captains can't even complete it. Any possible obstacle one could think of and more is part of the course, and only Seated Officers in the 11th Division have been able to even complete it. In fact, when there's a vacancy in the Seats, a Grunt can try to get promoted by attempting the course, but it has a less than 1 percent success rate. Every Captain and Seated Officer since the formation of the squad has added a new obstacle to the course.

Joint Gotei Combat Division Locations

The 11th Division Grounds: As the name implies, the original grounds of the 11th Division remain in the hands of the Joint Division

The Sixth Division Grounds: As the name implies, the original grounds of the Sixth Division remain in the hands of the Joint Division

The Forest of Shadows: The Onmitsukidō training grounds and barracks at the edge of Soul Society. The Forest of Shadows became property of the Joint Combat Divisions after the original leader lost a bet to Mizuki.

The Bamboo Grove: A small section of the Kido Corp, reserved for those members of the Kido Corp who joined up with the Joint Division. The Bamboo Grove, despite it's name, is a blast proof tower where it's members focus on more combat oriented Kido.

So, the idea is that all the combat focused bits of Soul Society would be rolled up into this Division which is why I included parts of the 2nd Division and the Onmitsukidō, parts of the Kido Corp who focused more on Hado since it's basically battle magic, the Sixth and the 11th Division which are the two current combat focused Divisions in the game.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-09-14 at 12:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post

Now to complain about Violist's stuff:

[...]

She had Miya when she was 53? Sorry, but Menopause is STILL 45-55, that's pretty damn unlikely. Why do they need to be so old, people who are in there 30s can still be pretty good scientists (Hey there Einstein, Tesla, Hawking, how are you guys?)

[...]

Seriously, it doesn't have to be massively in depth, and if I wanted to play Miya it would be pretty simple.

Spoiler
    Show

As a young girl, Miya had never really known her mother all that well. She was always very busy, but when she was around, her mother was always so kind and nice.

Until she had died - but not really.

Miya's mother was a Substitute Shinigami for quite some time, before she was attacked by a Hollow and infected. Her father, a scientist, had been arrogant and foolish - he believed he could do better than the Shinigami.

Her mother trusted her father.

She trusted... poorly.

Her father sent her mother to Hueco Mundo, where the progression would be slowed due to the surrounding energy, and took Miya to Japan, where there would be far more people willing to research the effects of Hollows on humans, and how to reverse it.
    I made her old because, otherwise, I couldn't think of a good reason for the Shinigami to 'make' a new Substitute Shinigami if there wasn't an unusually high amount of hollows, and the war ended 50 years ago. I actually didn't want them to be so old, because it hardly makes sense, but my knowledge of the Bleachworld is limiting my ability to think of better excuses.
    I made him old because it didn't seem right marrying a couple whose age was 30 years apart. (Nothing to do with being a scientist.)
    This is why I like the Nexus FFRPG - I can make up my own setting on the go.
    (That's why they say two heads are better than one - one of them (me) know very little about the setting and makes all the wrong assumptions.)

I really like your simple explanation of Miya's backstory. Would you mind if I just copied it and used it to replace most of the over-the-top backstory that I just put in?

Returning on-topic:
    @Tebryn: I liked that idea. It makes a lot of sense, joining up the combat divisions when the whole Soul Society is low on leaders and is full of recently - appointed leaders without any experience.
    I suggest using the higher-ranked Seated Officers as leaders of smaller groups, because of the lack of experience for most of the leaders. This way, those leaders will gain more experience without dumping all the responsibility on only five or six people. (For example, having "Leaders of squads of 5", "Leaders of groups of 25", and so on. Or something like that, however it's needed.)

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post

Returning on-topic:
    @Tebryn: I liked that idea. It makes a lot of sense, joining up the combat divisions when the whole Soul Society is low on leaders and is full of recently - appointed leaders without any experience.
    I suggest using the higher-ranked Seated Officers as leaders of smaller groups, because of the lack of experience for most of the leaders. This way, those leaders will gain more experience without dumping all the responsibility on only five or six people. (For example, having "Leaders of squads of 5", "Leaders of groups of 25", and so on. Or something like that, however it's needed.)
    Was Frozen Feet's idea actually. I just combined stuff. Though the last bit is already the idea. Seated members are in charge of smaller units. What Division was your Unseated in before we combined all the Divisions together?

16. - Top - End - #136

I hadn't really decided.

I assumed a combat-focused one, given that her driving motive was "Revenge on the Hollows".

Both the 6th and the 11th would make sense for her to be in, although I'm leaning towards her having been in the 11th (despite it being predominantly male. Excuse for her being in there: she just wants to fight against the hollows, and she heard that the 11th is the best way to get into the brawl first.)

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    I hadn't really decided.

I assumed a combat-focused one, given that her driving motive was "Revenge on the Hollows".

Both the 6th and the 11th would make sense for her to be in, although I'm leaning towards her having been in the 11th (despite it being predominantly male. Excuse for her being in there: she just wants to fight against the hollows, and she heard that the 11th is the best way to get into the brawl first.)
    They're one Division now, so that would mean she was in the Joint Gotei Combat Division.

Edit: She'd have had to been in the 11th. The Sixth didn't allow Nobles into their Division. Ever.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-09-14 at 12:05 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Barbarian in the Playground

So I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a couple weeks now and it's been bringing back a lot of good memories, but I've been keeping my hand out of it. However, I've decided to change that and see how long I can keep this up before film school destroys me.

My character idea was going to be the Captain of the 13th Division or another division if we don't end up having that many. Either way, his division would be the ones in charge of watching over the mortal world (specifically wherever we set things), so he'd likely be spending most of his time outside of Soul Society looking after things with his subordinates. He'd be a very lawful individual, who follows orders passed down to him and expects his men to follow them as well, though he has his limits. His number one priority, bar none, is the protection of innocent people. If there's a situation that calls for a choice between saving 10 people or saving 100 people, his answer would be to save them all. No exceptions.

I also have some ideas for overall plotting, but I won't assume as much as to jump in and start trying to run things. The basic ideas are essentially breaking the story into shorter "seasons," each with their own story to tell, even if it isn't the big overarching plot. If you want to hear more, then I'd be glad to explain in further detail.
    [ There was a signature here. It's gone now. ]

19. - Top - End - #139

They're one Division now, so that would mean she was in the Joint Gotei Combat Division.

Edit: She'd have had to been in the 11th. The Sixth didn't allow Nobles into their Division. Ever.
    Yes, that's a good point. She is a noble.

Now, though, she's definitely in the Joint Gotei Combat Division. I suppose that she could become seated in the future, if there's enough deaths and needs and her power level grows a little throughout the Roleplaying.
    (I will now edit that into her description - that she's a member of this division.)

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I like the write-up Tebryn, but at this point IMO I think we should at least start with the original Gotei 13 if for no other reason than simplicity's sake, espcially for people still making their characters. Probably not with all the captains of course, and divisions could be merged later.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm up for either way really. I just wrote it knowing it would be the eventuality.

I'll repost this though, unless people come in and want to take these rolls. The Joint Gotei Combat Division will include

The Onmitsukidō
    The Sixth Division: The whole of it
    The 11th Division: The whole of it
    The Kido Corp: Only those focused on Hado and other combat related Kido

With the Gotei 13 being combined, three of the four divisions will need three Divisions while one has four if we're splitting things equally. I doubt we are however.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post

I was about to write a whole long text post of my opinion on the situation, but that pretty much sums it up.

Another thing; I know I haven't been the most active player, but I've been in a lot of roleplays, including conflict-heavy ones. Every true conflict I've been in was either resolved without incident, or something came up, was discussed between the players, and a resolution was found that made both players happy.

Last thing; We're playing a war game here. Don't expect your character to survive, especially if they're on the front lines. Some will, some won't. I've put a lot of work into characters I expected to die eventually. In my opinion, in order for this kind of story to be good, some characters have to die in the telling of it. On both sides.

Ok, that's my piece. Turned out to be a long post anyway. Huh.
    Nunc id Vides, Nunc ne Vides ("Now you see it, Now you don't.")

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yo, I personally remember the days of yore with a fond sense of nostalgia. Endless arguments aside we generated some wonderful stuff. I'd like to get in on this if people are still open for recruitment and wouldn't mind another member for team Evil

If more characters are needed elsewhere shout out, I can run one or two more I think.

Name: Sterling Félix
    Age: Visually roughly 18, in actuality who knows with hollows
    Height: 5'6
    Weight: 126lbs
    Species: Arrancar
    Side: Hueco Mundo

Appearance
    Spoiler
    Show
    Small amongst the other arrancar, Sterling doesn't cut the most imposing of figures and doesn't feel he has to. Neither heavily built nor tall, it would be easy to mistake Sterling for a noncombatant or even a mortal at first glance if not for the telltale signs of an arrancar. Hot pink finely groomed hair sweeps across his facial features kept in fashions trendy in the mortal world, from those strands a pair of white triangles of bone form a facsimile of feline ears. His eyes are amber and the pupils elongated vertically, tatooed a short distance below each eye is a slightly curving black triangle reaching just below his nose in height. Metal rings appear to have been drilled in to the bone on these as they are met by tiny fractures in the smooth white surface.

His attire is an odd departure from the simple white jacket and haori of most of the soldiers of Hueco Mundo; he wears a white sleeveless crop top with a zipper reaching from the center of his chest to the bottom of the top, and pair of just shy of knee length black shorts. Upon his exposed midriff are a pair of black triangles to match those on his face. Extending from a pair of more traditional boots are knee length socks of alternating black and pink to match his hair. When visiting the mortal world he often collects items of clothing or accessories to add to his attire, but they rarely remain a fixture for long.

His hollow mask takes the form of the ears that adorn his head, the bone curving round under his hairline to form a collar like formation round his neck the front of which decorated by a small set of pointed teeth. It also forms a short tail which snakes from a slit in the back of his shorts made of a series of linked vertebrae. His hollow hole is located in the center of his chest and is visible when he pulls the zip up on his top.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vain, arrogant, ultimately self serving and a touch unhinged. Sterling is an entity hooked on life, treating the world like a game and one he intends to win. This leads to him being driven and focused in rather odd directions at times, his motives occasionally bizarre without context. He craves the attention of others, whether positive or negative, and is rarely found on his own.

As happy to work for another as he is to dupe, beg or coerce others into doing what he wants it is a rare day he isn't working to some kind of agenda, and a knowing grin that shows canines a bit too long is never far from his expression.

He has no particular quarrel with the shinigami or their allies personally, but neither has he any reason to like them. When he was weak and mindless they hunted him, but now that he's past that the old him, the many old him's, are as good as dead so what is the problem? His friends in the sands want their war however and he's more than happy to oblige, trickery and games are all the more enjoyable when they end in a bloodbath after all.

Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Physically Sterling is weak but fast, relying on dexterity and quick reflexes when things get violent. His build is closer to a runner's, some lean muscle but seemingly poorly suited to fighting. When forced into combat he relies on an acrobatic fighting style aiming to use the close quarters of his weapons to get within the enemy reach and become difficult to attack or counter.

His cero and bala are stunted in their growth, flashy in their image but largely irrelevant in their effects. He is still capable of using them but they would pose little danger indeed for a shinigami or similar. Despite their weak nature they appear visually as imposing of those of other hollows and Arrancar, a useful distraction at least until an enemy fails to dodge one.

Despite his decent reactions and physical speed Sterling's sonido is also underdeveloped, capable at a base level but little use in dodging any meaningful attack or pursuing a foe at speed. The reason for this is that he has never needed to practice thanks to:

Salto de la Gatera, Sterling's signature ability as an arrancar. Visually it could be mistaken from shunpo or similar, the lack of warning sound separating it from sonido. In truth this ability is significantly more powerful, though in its use it mirrors those abilities in many key ways its key difference is that it is a short distance teleportation. Sterling can ignore the intervening space between he and his destination, allowing for impossible dodges or bypassing of short obstacles. It is unknown whether he requires sight of his destination as he has never been foolish enough to try without certain knowledge he wont end up in a wall.

Zanpukto:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Mad Cat
    Release Command: "Grin Wide, Mad Cat!"
    Appearance: A set of brass knuckles with knifelike steel claws extending from them.
    Resurreccion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Appearance:
    His form gains muscle definition, moving towards a more traditional swimmer's build. The brass knuckles themselves meld into his hands, now covering his hands with a pair of bone plate gauntlets ending in wicked claws which glisten slightly. These gauntlets extend up to his elbow and are inscribed with a single etching reminiscent of his tattoos. A similarly themed set of boots and greaves adorn his legs, pulling his feet up into a vaguely digitgrade stance and tipped with similar though much shorter claws. The vertebrae of his tail splay out into a more bladed shape at each edge, as well as the tail itself extending in length and bulk. His former collar spreads outwards to cover his shoulders and part of his chest in form fitting bone armour, the center of which is adorned with a large row of teeth forming a laughing grimace around his hollow hole.

Abilities:
    His speed, strength and resilience to harm increase as would be expected in this change of form, as well as gaining his feet and tail as new bladed avenues of attack. Though his heiro increases a small amount, it is much less than might be expected as the majority of gain in defence is concentrated in the areas armored by bone which are used as shields.

The real danger that this form poses is the potent hallucinogen his varies weapons secrete. The results vary from person to person, though almost unfailingly hamper one's ability to fight. With sufficient exposure to air excess poison will evaporate and likely inhaled by all present, though this presents a much slower and lesser danger than if you got stabbed. Sterling usually aims to simply whittle his opponent down until they can no longer coordinate well enough to fight back before deciding how to finish their encounter.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

I see most players so far are no enthusiastic about using Noitahovi. That's okay, I can use it for some other game then.

Meanwhile, where be terry? I could start organizing existing characters into a list so new potential players can see which Divisions exists, so on and so forth.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

I thought of another question. Is it still all right if I play Myojin? There was some problem with him, so I'm just asking.
    Nunc id Vides, Nunc ne Vides ("Now you see it, Now you don't.")

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

If we do end up condensing the divisions, we should keep several core concepts in mind for them. I think at the bare minimum we need...
    • A Commander Division like the 1st
    • An Intelligence Division like the 2nd
    • A Medical Division like the 4th
    • A Science Division like the 12th
    • A Combat Division like the 11th

A few other ideas that might be considered are a Kido-specific Division (or just keep that the Kido Corps or whatever), a Communications Division, and a Defense Division for guarding Seireitei and possibly the mortal world as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiko View Post
    Yo, I personally remember the days of yore with a fond sense of nostalgia. Endless arguments aside we generated some wonderful stuff. I'd like to get in on this if people are still open for recruitment and wouldn't mind another member for team Evil

If more characters are needed elsewhere shout out, I can run one or two more I think.

Name: Sterling Félix
    Age: Visually roughly 18, in actuality who knows with hollows
    Height: 5'6
    Weight: 126lbs
    Species: Arrancar
    Side: Hueco Mundo

Appearance
    Spoiler
    Show
    Small amongst the other arrancar, Sterling doesn't cut the most imposing of figures and doesn't feel he has to. Neither heavily built nor tall, it would be easy to mistake Sterling for a noncombatant or even a mortal at first glance if not for the telltale signs of an arrancar. Hot pink finely groomed hair sweeps across his facial features kept in fashions trendy in the mortal world, from those strands a pair of white triangles of bone form a facsimile of feline ears. His eyes are amber and the pupils elongated vertically, tatooed a short distance below each eye is a slightly curving black triangle reaching just below his nose in height. Metal rings appear to have been drilled in to the bone on these as they are met by tiny fractures in the smooth white surface.

His attire is an odd departure from the simple white jacket and haori of most of the soldiers of Hueco Mundo; he wears a white sleeveless crop top with a zipper reaching from the center of his chest to the bottom of the top, and pair of just shy of knee length black shorts. Upon his exposed midriff are a pair of black triangles to match those on his face. Extending from a pair of more traditional boots are knee length socks of alternating black and pink to match his hair. When visiting the mortal world he often collects items of clothing or accessories to add to his attire, but they rarely remain a fixture for long.

His hollow mask takes the form of the ears that adorn his head, the bone curving round under his hairline to form a collar like formation round his neck the front of which decorated by a small set of pointed teeth. It also forms a short tail which snakes from a slit in the back of his shorts made of a series of linked vertebrae. His hollow hole is located in the center of his chest and is visible when he pulls the zip up on his top.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vain, arrogant, ultimately self serving and a touch unhinged. Sterling is an entity hooked on life, treating the world like a game and one he intends to win. This leads to him being driven and focused in rather odd directions at times, his motives occasionally bizarre without context. He craves the attention of others, whether positive or negative, and is rarely found on his own.

As happy to work for another as he is to dupe, beg or coerce others into doing what he wants it is a rare day he isn't working to some kind of agenda, and a knowing grin that shows canines a bit too long is never far from his expression.

He has no particular quarrel with the shinigami or their allies personally, but neither has he any reason to like them. When he was weak and mindless they hunted him, but now that he's past that the old him, the many old him's, are as good as dead so what is the problem? His friends in the sands want their war however and he's more than happy to oblige, trickery and games are all the more enjoyable when they end in a bloodbath after all.

Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Physically Sterling is weak but fast, relying on dexterity and quick reflexes when things get violent. His build is closer to a runner's, some lean muscle but seemingly poorly suited to fighting. When forced into combat he relies on an acrobatic fighting style aiming to use the close quarters of his weapons to get within the enemy reach and become difficult to attack or counter.

His cero and bala are stunted in their growth, flashy in their image but largely irrelevant in their effects. He is still capable of using them but they would pose little danger indeed for a shinigami or similar. Despite their weak nature they appear visually as imposing of those of other hollows and Arrancar, a useful distraction at least until an enemy fails to dodge one.

Despite his decent reactions and physical speed Sterling's sonido is also underdeveloped, capable at a base level but little use in dodging any meaningful attack or pursuing a foe at speed. The reason for this is that he has never needed to practice thanks to:

Salto de la Gatera, Sterling's signature ability as an arrancar. Visually it could be mistaken from shunpo or similar, the lack of warning sound separating it from sonido. In truth this ability is significantly more powerful, though in its use it mirrors those abilities in many key ways its key difference is that it is a short distance teleportation. Sterling can ignore the intervening space between he and his destination, allowing for impossible dodges or bypassing of short obstacles. It is unknown whether he requires sight of his destination as he has never been foolish enough to try without certain knowledge he wont end up in a wall.

Zanpukto:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Mad Cat
    Release Command: "Grin Wide, Mad Cat!"
    Appearance: A set of brass knuckles with knifelike steel claws extending from them.
    Resurreccion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Appearance:
    His form gains muscle definition, moving towards a more traditional swimmer's build. The brass knuckles themselves meld into his hands, now covering his hands with a pair of bone plate gauntlets ending in wicked claws which glisten slightly. These gauntlets extend up to his elbow and are inscribed with a single etching reminiscent of his tattoos. A similarly themed set of boots and greaves adorn his legs, pulling his feet up into a vaguely digitgrade stance and tipped with similar though much shorter claws. The vertebrae of his tail splay out into a more bladed shape at each edge, as well as the tail itself extending in length and bulk. His former collar spreads outwards to cover his shoulders and part of his chest in form fitting bone armour, the center of which is adorned with a large row of teeth forming a laughing grimace around his hollow hole.

Abilities:
    His speed, strength and resilience to harm increase as would be expected in this change of form, as well as gaining his feet and tail as new bladed avenues of attack. Though his heiro increases a small amount, it is much less than might be expected as the majority of gain in defence is concentrated in the areas armored by bone which are used as shields.

The real danger that this form poses is the potent hallucinogen his varies weapons secrete. The results vary from person to person, though almost unfailingly hamper one's ability to fight. With sufficient exposure to air excess poison will evaporate and likely inhaled by all present, though this presents a much slower and lesser danger than if you got stabbed. Sterling usually aims to simply whittle his opponent down until they can no longer coordinate well enough to fight back before deciding how to finish their encounter.
    I see nothing objectionable. I'd like to see a history, but with hollows and arrancar histories are usually pretty similar, at least until we see a big bad.

I see most players so far are no enthusiastic about using Noitahovi. That's okay, I can use it for some other game then.

Meanwhile, where be terry? I could start organizing existing characters into a list so new potential players can see which Divisions exists, so on and so forth.
    Not sure where Terry is. I guess you could start the organization process.

I'm curious to see what your idea for a big bad was/is.

Quote Originally Posted by CMOTDibbler View Post
    I thought of another question. Is it still all right if I play Myojin? There was some problem with him, so I'm just asking.
    My only question is does he have his Bankai unlocked yet? Given the circumstances of the RP, it seems a little weird for a bunch of Vice-Captains to already have Bankai, especially when it's such good fodder for later plotlines.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

So we're not going to go with my write up for the Combined Combat Division then?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

So we're not going to go with my write up for the Combined Combat Division then?
    My opinion: shelf it for now. If we do combine divisions, and that's probably likely, then we can use it, though I might want to add some personal touches when the time comes.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

My opinion: shelf it for now. If we do combine divisions, and that's probably likely, then we can use it, though I might want to add some personal touches when the time comes.
    Certainly.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    I kinda wanna bring Sora back. You know the one; Sora Namikaze, from BiTP:R. Dorizzit, what do you think?
    Do that, and I'll be tempted to bring back someone with names starting with Y, E and A.

Anyways, here be my character.

Mikael Esaja Rautiainen
    Spoiler
    Show

Height: 181 cm (~5'11")
    Weight: 78 kg (171.6)

Appearance
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mikael is a moderately tall male with thin build. Should you happen to catch him in revealing clothes, you'd see there's not much fat in him, his arms being thick with muscle and his abs showing clearly when he's flexing them, at least. He has small hands and thin wrists, which detracts from his buff look, though.

Michael has a narrow face, with dark shadows under his eyes. When alone, he usually frowns, but does his best to smile at strangers; this makes him look harmless, an archetypical "nice guy", no matter how far from truth that may be. His face and arms are tanned slightly brown, otherwise he's pretty pale. His hair is brown and shaggy. His eyes are normally greenish-blue, but this is not constant – when he is enraged, they become so brown as to be almost black, and the whites become extremely bloodshot. He doesn't look his age, and it wouldn't be hard to think him to be in his early twenties, or even late teens. (He isn't that happy about this.)

Mikael prefers heavy-set clothes, often black in color. Lately, he's been moving around in loose black worker's pants, black safety shoes, a dark blue T-shirt and a black leather motorcycle jacket with a white Ouroboros on the back. He has a similar design of reptilian or draconic creature curled in a circle and biting its tail tattooed on his left shoulder.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those who remember Mikael from school might tell you he was kind; he never bullied anyone, tried to be friends with those who bullied him, generously lend things to others and gave gifts to his friends. They might tell he was polite; he opened doors for others, never answered a question without being asked, and always obeyed the teacher. They might tell he was studious; doing his work in class while others fooled around, reading science magazines and other boring stuff on his free time, talking to teachers between classes about the day's subjects.

Those who remember him from work or army might tell you he was diligent; focused on his job and striving to perform as well as he could. They might tell you he was patient; rarely displaying anger despite others making fun of him. They might tell you he was tolerant; even though he never smoked or drank himself, he didn't really oppose others doing so, even next to him, and often talked jovially with people who had very different lifestyles than him.

Of his family, his father might say he was clever, perhaps wise beyond his years; he could often comprehend and summarize complex issues in a single sentence, and easily memorized everything he told him. His brother might call him lazy, because Mikael was a bit undependable when it came to chores at home, or jokingly refer to him as "a weirdo"; nonetheless, they were in good terms. His mother would've the least positive things to say about him, because their relations became very strained as he grew older - his mother was one of the few persons to earn his ire and utmost disrespect. She might call him "arrogant, hateful, disobedient, lazy, irresponsible, uncaring" and even "cruel" - and maybe towards her, he was.

But one thing they would all agree upon is that he never quite fit in.

None of these people have known him for years, however. He might still be some of these things, or at least put up an appearance of being so - but how is he now?

Well, he is bitter; life did not give him what he desired, and even though he's tried to forget his failings, it still gnaws at him. He is detached; since awakening his powers, it's become increasingly difficult to see other people or the society around him as meaningful. They are just... background. He thinks himself to be separate of the human race, and with a good reason. He is boiling with undirected anger; once, it was caused by his bullies, and he swallowed back hard on it because he thought he might hurt himself; then, it was caused by those who let him down, and he swallowed back on it because he thought he might hurt someone else; nowadays, he's not quite sure what is causing it, and at the same time, it's becoming harder for himself to justify why he should restrain his urge to violence. He is afraid; afraid of his own powers and what they could mean.

And more than anything else, he is lonely - because he has no equal in his world, and maybe in no other...

History:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ever since he was kid, Mikael often saw weird dreams. Dreams where he could fly and had inhuman strenght. This was perfectly normal, he was said. The landscapes and peoples he saw in his dreams did not in any way correspond to those he saw in the waking world, but they were always consistent with each other. Sometimes, he mused whether his spirit really wandered to some other land, where it held a secret life of its own each night. Sometimes, he saw visions of a vast desert, or of someone standing before a vast gate, as if preparing to lift it up. He never attached any significance to these dreams. After all, dreams are just dreams.

As a kid, Mikael wasn't that remarkable. He had what could be called a happy childhood - his father loved his mother, his mother had a steady job as a daycarer, and he had a lot of friends. At school, he was fairly good, sometimes top of his class, even. He had an interest in a broad variety of subjects, and some of these caused others to mock him and call him a "nerd", "geek" or "weird" - he was weak and small back then, so he shrugged it off, even though it often made him angry. He believed in giving people another chance, and often tried, and sometimes succeeded, in making friends with those who teased him.

In his adolescence, things took a downward turn, but nothing too awful. His mother decided she didn't want to do her old job anymore, and ended in a spiral of short-term, low-paying jobs. His father started to bend under the pressure of his own work and the troubles of his mother, and took up drinking. Elementary school ended, and Mikael somewhat unexpectedly moved to a vocational institute to study as a welder - with his grades and academic interest, everyone assumed he would've move to a gymnasium. The institute was bit of a jump into cold water - none of his best friends from elementary school followed him but many of his bullies did. Many of his friends had been girls, but now his class had none. He closed off somewhat, only befriending his teachers, but barely managing to keep cordial relations to his classmates, whom he considered "intellectually inferior" - this thought made him feel guilty, because he thought it arrogant and maybe even unfounded, even if it was partly true. Still, he was the best of his class and graduated with excellent grades. He got a good job from a local company and was full of hope for a bright future when he signed into the service of Finnish Defense Forces.

His stay in FDF was very exciting, at first. The thought of military discipline and honor appealed to the young man. He seemed to be pretty alone in that regard, however, with most of his peers considering military a "necessary evil" and mostly an useless break to their education. He was hopeful of being chosen to be trained as a Commissioned Officer - maybe he'd even pursue career as such! On the other hand, he was first time in years in a situation where he was no longer clearly the best. This poked a hole in his ego. Eventually he became "just" an NCO, which was a minor setback, but worse was to come. Towards the end of his year-long stay, he became increasingly disapproving of how his peers considered it fine to abuse their new position, while dodging their responsibilities. He tried to fight against it, but when others disregarded him, he stopped - he was pretty alone with his idealism, and it was starting to alienate him from his comrades. The pressure was too much. He also realized that the staff were ignorant, or even silently approving, of some of the conscripts' misdemeanors. He came to the conclusion that the "military discipline" was a poor joke at best, the organization of FDF was obsolete and could never work properly as long as the conscripts would have such negative attitude towards each other. He silently abandoned any dreams of a military career and returned home. Unfortunately, his old workplace no longer had need for him, so he had to resign in but a few months.

In addition, while he'd been gone, his father's drinking had developed into full-blown alcoholism, and his pressures at work culminated to a total burnout. This, accompanied with troubles of making ends meet, had made her mom furious at her employers. Her endless nagging did not improve her husband's mood. She also began pecking her son about moving to an apartment of his own and getting a job. All Mikael could say was that he was "trying to".

It turned out he had to try for a long while. Factories were being shut down left and right, or so everyone told him. He found himself in a similar spiral of short-term jobs as his mother, just as he had feared. Not having anything to build his life on, he could not decide where to move - all the while his mother kept piling the pressure on him, even starting to make him pay bills for the house. Mikael might have been more tolerant of this, if it had not been such a transparent attempt to drive him away from home. This drove a wedge between them - his mother ordered him to pay increasingly more things, and when he started complaining that she should not spend as much on frivolities, she became furious at him. Mikael's father, already exhausted due to his job, could not tolerate their arguing, and increasingly often trifle issues turned into three-way shouting contests where Mikael and his mom were blaming each other about everything, and his father was crying for them to stop.

Finally, Mikael found a place of his own, but his relations with mother had been irrevocably poisoned. After he got last of his things hauled to his apartment, he decided to cut ties with his parents for a year. He stayed in contact with his brother, though, who was most supporting.

Mikael now faced a new challenge. Now 22, he was starting to dream of getting kids. Yet, he'd not even had a girlfriend up to this age. He'd not minded his inexperience before, but now it started to embarrass him. Still, he took to dating with enthusiasm and hopeful attitude. He met a lot of new people, but... he didn't seem to click with anyone. Or rather, he met a lot of women who he thought would be right for him - but they did not return his feelings. "You're a nice guy, but...", "I just want to be friends", "Sorry but I just don't feel the same towards you", "I'm in love with someone else" - these phrases became all too familiar to him.

For the record, he really did befriend some of them - having lost trace of his former best friends, it was a welcome change. But it was also painful; his feelings for them didn't die even though it'd been made clear they were unrequited. "Don't worry, it'll pass", they said. "You'll find someone else. You're a nice guy!" But as he looked around, he saw that "niceness" meant jack and squat. Many of the men who'd been, frankly, pricks in army or at school had girlfriends or were even married! He could not comprehend it. What was he doing wrong?

He picked up martial arts and started working out like crazy - maybe he'd luck out if he was buff, or at least he could meet someone interesting at gym? Nope, didn't work out. He grew increasingly frustrated and sensitive of his looks. He bought a motorcycle and dyed his hair, dressed up in leather in hopes of gaining attention. Still nothing.

But one day when he was 24 changed his life. It was 1st of April. Spring should've been far, but it was snowing like the mid of winter. Driving conditions were miserable. Mikael was driving a car back from work. It was late, he was tired, and then he saw red braking lights of the car before him. There was still good 50 meters to go, so Mikael was certain he could slow down - but as he drove closer, he realized the other car wasn't moving anymore. Biting his teeth, Mikael pushed the brake to the floor - there was still long way to go, he could stop, right?

Wrong.

The road had layers upon layers of fresh snow on it. Braking was futile. As a last resort, Mikael tried shifting his car to the next lane, it seemed to have more room. But his car started sliding, and he hit the side of the other car. Luckily, this made his car bounce to the next lane, and Mikael could stop it there. Mikael sighed from relief - danger had been averted.

Then the car behind crashed into his.

And then the car behind that one... and...

Overall, it was the second worst pile-up that day. 31 passenger cars, 4 busses and 7 trucks were totaled. Only two people died, but dozens got injured.

Mikael was not one of them. He remembers horrible pain while being squeezed between the seat and control panel of his car, but he also remembers squeezing his way out of the wreckage. While dazed, he did not lose consciousness. He wandered to the side of the road and collapsed under a fir tree. His clothes were all torn up, but there was no blood.

It took him until the shock passed before he realized he should not have been able to do that. He should've been crushed into pieces.

He watched medics walk to the car that had crashed into his. It had been squeezed flat. He could tell from their faces that whatever they saw was not pretty. He watched as the firemen came and sawed the car into pieces to recover whoever had been inside. He watched how puzzled they were when they found his car, its side torn open, with no-one inside.

He watched how a woman holding a girl to her chest rose from the other car and cried at the firemen. No-one seemed to hear her. Then, out of nowhere, a black form came. It took the woman and the girl away.

Filled with dread, Mikael rose and walked into the forest. He walked and walked, until exhaustion took the better of him and he collapsed in the snow.

A few days later, he returned to work. Despite having slept out in the open with barely clothes on his back, there wasn't a single frostbite on him. He'd only fetched new outfit from home and returned to everyday life. His work buddies looked like they saw a ghost. They pointed to an article in yesterday's newspaper, told how they'd feared he'd been one of the deceased. Mikael was not amused.

From there on, he started seeing oddly transparent people around places like hospitals, cemeteries, abandoned houses. He saw more of the black forms, and each time they became more distinct. Each time, he felt a chill go through his body, and fled the scene as quickly and unassumingly as possible.

He stopped dreaming, save for the vision of the gate. The vision became more distinct now - he could see it was him who was trying to lift the gate. One night, he succeeded, and was blinded by bright light. Then the visions stopped. For first time in his life, Mikael saw ordinary dreams - trifle, meaningless affairs of having wild sex with women he could never have, or finding himself naked at work.

He started missing his dreaming life and friends. On the flipside, his waking life started feeling more like a dream, and a bad one at that.

At the gym, he started experimenting. He put more weight on than he thought he would never be able to lift, but despite it feeling like his arms would pop out of their sockets, he could always lift everything he piled on himself. Soon, he hit the limits of available weights and machinery. At work, when no-one was looking, he grabbed a bar of iron and bend it with his bare hands. He carefully tried cutting himself with a knife, and found out the blade broke sooner than his skin. He realized he no longer had any idea what he was capable of, and he became afraid.

While walking, he felt strangely light. He remembered the surreal feel of his past dreams where he could fly - one day, he focused on it and jumped. He found himself standing on the top of a nearby tree. That was one of the few occasions that year when he felt truly happy.

He started hearing whispers, coming from nearby items. He couldn't comprehend most of them, but those he'd owned for a long time made sense. He grabbed hold of an old juniper bow made by his father, and it turned into a real hunting bow. He swung a kitchen knife, and it turned into a machete that could cut 1 millimeter thick steel. He decided not to try what would happen if he "listened to the voice of" actual weapons.

Mikael had become a superman. That was the only way he could make sense of it. But there was no Lex Luthor to oppose him, nor a Justice League to support him. He was alone with his abilities... as the only person on earth, as far as he knew.

Or could there be others? Who were those black-clad people he saw every so often? In myth, such people had existed for aeons - now that he provenly had these powers, maybe he should reconsider whether to believe in them?

He pondered of what to do with his powers - should he become a masked vigilante, like those in the comics? Should he go to the Great Randi and get the 1 million prize, to live as a rich man? Should he break into a bank instead?

No matter what he thought of, the longer he mused on the consequences, the less he wanted to anything. He decided to continue his life like before, but it lost its luster. When his boss came to complain to him about slipping schedules, Mikael barely heard he was speaking as he was busy thinking of how easy it would be to fling the man out of the window. On a date, Mikael could only think of how easily he could crush the bones of the petite woman. Or how she would think him crazy if he told her what he could do, or whether she'd believe her eyes if he showed it to her. That time, he just up and left without even paying. He never met her again. Out in town, people seemed to fade to the concrete, becoming nothing but a grey mass slowly trickling through the city.

He called his best friend and longest-lasting crush and told her to meet him at a frozen lake. She paled when she him pick up a boulder twice his size and throw it on the ice. She fainted when she saw him fly. Mikael carried her home and nursed her until she woke up. He asked her what he should do, but she was in denial anything had ever happened. His heart was broken.

Next morning, he send her a note telling to go to the lake. He also send a message that he would not go to work that day. He also send a farewell message to everyone whose number he had, before crushing his phone with his bare hands and setting his apartment on fire.

He'd had enough. He was not a human any longer. He would find a place of his own, away from the trifle affairs of society. The laws of humans did not include him, and no new laws would be made for him.

But there is no wilderness any more. No place untainted by presence of man. So he still walks among people, feigning the outside habits of humanity, smiling and being kind to others. Not because anyone tells him to (he tells himself), but because he wants to. Though lately, he's not really wanted to. Maybe he will find someone else like him, in some other place or country. Only time will tell.

If you meet him, he'll be cordial, helpful even. If you ask him for his name, he might introduce himself as "Nemo", "Sín Nombre" or "Niemand Nihil". These are all just little things to fool those who aren't linguistically gifted - learned persons will notice these are all various ways of saying "Nameless", "Nobody", "Zero" or "Nothing".

Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show

Superhuman strenght: Mikael does not know his own strenght - its upper limits, to be accurate. It's easy to function on a human level, because its a level of familiar sensations - he knows how it should feel to lift a shopping bag, or how hot a stove will feel when it causes burns to normal people. It's almost as easy to mimic strongest ordinary humans, because up to that point you have at least some guide line. But beyond that? Where does it end? Mikael does not know, and he daren't search for answers. It's all fine and dandy if he succeeds, but if he doesn't? Who is there to help him? Can anyone help him?

Superhuman endurance: Last time Mikael tried taking a vaccine, the needle broke against his skin. His first feat was to survive a crash that utterly flattened his car. No ordinary cold seems to be able to hurt him. But again, he has no idea of his upper limits. He still feels pain, or at least remembers how much pain he should be feeling. He's still wary of most things other humans are, because he has no idea if he can survive them. He has no precedent.

Superhuman speed: Mikael could outrun an ostrich or fly faster than the fastest bird. He's not tried either, but is roughly aware of the possibility. His feet glimmer with strange light as he moves on ground or air, leaping over buildings with a single jump.

Voice of All Things: Though he knows not the word, Mikael is a Fullbringer, and extremely powerful for one. The spirits of all things call to him, and he can speak their language. This gives him a broad array of abilities depending on what he has at hand.

Enhance: Mikael can hear the true desire of any object he holds in his hands, and improve on its functions. A toy bow becomes a real one; a kitchen knife becomes a sword; old and rusted car becomes a spiffy new one. This is usually a simple and easily foretold step, but Heaven only knows what might happen if he gets his hands on a supernatural weapon of some kind. All Enhancements are permanent unless Mikael undoes them. No object can be enhanced more than once.

Reduce: Just as easily as Mikael can give form to an item's desire, he can silence its voice completely, turning useful objects into rubbish. This can also undo effects of Enhance. Whatever he holds is reduced to its base materials. A toy bow becomes a branch of wood and a coil of string; a kitchen knife becomes a slab of metal and pile of plastic chips; a car is broken down into separate parts. The power of supernatural weapons is diminished and their releases shut down until their owner calls for them anew.

Personal Fullbring - Ouroboros: Most powerful of Mikael's abilities, and one he does not truly comprehend as of yet. On his back is the snake eating its tail, the symbol of eternal life, though to him, its meaning is despair. It is the source of his seeming implacability. He could give it life, make the ink jump from his skin and crush his enemies, but doing this would also make it susceptible to destruction. The snake can draw blood or any other fluid than can be used for writing into itself to grow larger and larger. Once it returns to its proper place, all extra fluids are turned into vital energy, restoring health and power of its owner. Mikael could wholly or partially assume qualities of the snake himself, growing scales, claws, fangs or tail, temporarily increasing his reach and offensive power. Finally, the snake's fangs have acidic poison that melts away flesh and bone - there's a lot of time to treat it as it spreads, but a direct bite usually burns holes to the point of contact.

Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2012-09-14 at 07:23 PM.