New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R] Soul Society 3

It is perhaps thirty minutes to an hour between Masaru's order and Kazuma's appearance at his office. Nonetheless, the 7th seat looked presentable - he'd obviously showered a short time before. He entered after a short, polite knock.

"Apologies for my delay, Masaru-taichou. Your messenger caught me in the midst of tending the 11th's garden and well... I couldn't exactly barge in here with a shihakusho covered in dirt and soot."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    It is perhaps thirty minutes to an hour between Masaru's order and Kazuma's appearance at his office. Nonetheless, the 7th seat looked presentable - he'd obviously showered a short time before. He entered after a short, polite knock.

"Apologies for my delay, Masaru-taichou. Your messenger caught me in the midst of tending the 11th's garden and well... I couldn't exactly barge in here with a shihakusho covered in dirt and soot."
    Masaru gestures for Kazuma to sit, a pensive look on his face.

"It wasn't an emergency, Kazuma-san. It wasn't a large time between when I asked to meet with you, and the present time. I'm sorry if I interrupted other duties. But, well..."

He sighs.

"I've called you here because I have a favor to ask for you. I require a sparring partner; I feel I have let my more martial skills become slightly lax. I've chosen you because I know you won't be as tied up in your duties as most of the Captains and Vice-Captains right now. You have a powerful Shikai. Your focus is on physical combat. And finally, I feel that I can take the time to do this, as my Division is well-trained, prepared, and led. I cannot say how often we will have a chance to refine our skills, but I think it should be done."
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

"If you'll excuse my presumption, sir, I relish any opportunity to square off with an opponent of your level of skill - but I would advise you not to underestimate my Shikai, specifically." At this point, Masaru can almost feel a twinge in the back of Kazuma's voice. "I am still perfecting my control over it; it would be dangerous, to say the least, to use it under circunstances in which a deadly blow must be avoided."

A smile rose to his face. "I will be honored to aid you any way I can with your sparring, sir. But I ask that we have at least a couple of sessions underneath our respective belts before I train with my Shikai specifically. Would that be alright?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    "One visitor after another... Is he in your care, then?"
    He nods. "Yes. He is being held in intensive care. Takahashi-taichou suffers from major blunt force trauma and is being treated very carefully. What is more alarming is the burns on his left arm. No one in the division has seen anything like it. Thusfar it appears that the Captain himself shredded his own skin... I digress. Takahashi-taichou appears to be recovering, but it will be some time before he is properly fit for duty."
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"If you'll excuse my presumption, sir, I relish any opportunity to square off with an opponent of your level of skill - but I would advise you not to underestimate my Shikai, specifically." At this point, Masaru can almost feel a twinge in the back of Kazuma's voice. "I am still perfecting my control over it; it would be dangerous, to say the least, to use it under circumstances in which a deadly blow must be avoided."

A smile rose to his face. "I will be honored to aid you any way I can with your sparring, sir. But I ask that we have at least a couple of sessions underneath our respective belts before I train with my Shikai specifically. Would that be alright?"
    "What I recall of your Shikia, which isn't a whole lot, reminds me that, yes, it is dangerous."

Masaru leaned forward a bit, a sliver of his reaitsu leaking out as a non-verbal reminder to Kazuma.

"But so am I. I am over 400 years old, and I've had bankai for a century. I am many things, but unable to handle your shikai is not one of them."

He leaned back, the reiatsu gone.

"That said, I appreciate your caution, and agree with it. Besides, there's just as much value in sparring with sealed blades as there is with Shikai. Or Bankai, I suppose. So, yes, I accept that condition on your agreement."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

"I'd never make the mistake of underestimating a Captain, sir. That's a sure ticket to the grave in a serious situation." Kazuma notes. Well, he DID ask to forgive his presumptiousness. "And it's only until such a time that we've sparred enough that I'll feel comfortable subjecting you to it."

With a short bow, Kazuma noted, "Indeed, I am honored you'd find me capable enough to be your sparring partner."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"I'd never make the mistake of underestimating a Captain, sir. That's a sure ticket to the grave in a serious situation." Kazuma notes. Well, he DID ask to forgive his presumptiousness. "And it's only until such a time that we've sparred enough that I'll feel comfortable subjecting you to it."

With a short bow, Kazuma noted, "Indeed, I am honored you'd find me capable enough to be your sparring partner."
    Masaru nods.

"That sounds like a reasonable way to go about things."

When Kazuma expresses his honor, Masaru grins and shrugs.

"As I said; your focus on physical fighting is what I need right now. Administrative issues aside, my Vice-Captain's a Kido-user first. Something I need less practice with. Your Division is the one that has some of our finest combatants across the ranks. You yourself have talent in both armed and unarmed combat. Even better, you have some talent for Hado, something I think I'll have you start using later on. But by the same token, while ranked and powerful, you are not first in line in your chain of command. In these times, that's probably good. Though if your duties to your Division require you to be absent from the training, that's fine."

He pulls out a planning calendar.

"Perhaps our first training session can be...tomorrow afternoon."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

"My administrative duties are... practically non-existant at this point, sir. Indeed, I find myself with far too much free time. I use much of it to train, but that's naturally flexible." Kazuma noted with a hint of sadness. "Put simply, at this point in time Seireitei needs builders, not destroyers. My position in 11th makes me both... too brutish, and too high-ranked -in a manner of speaking - to aid with tasks such as cleaning the wreckage or rebuilding the structures."

As Masaru pulls out the calendar, Kazuma notes, "Anytime you're free, sir. I would even suggest now, were it not for the fact I have no idea how much work you've to do at the moment."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"My administrative duties are... practically non-existant at this point, sir. Indeed, I find myself with far too much free time. I use much of it to train, but that's naturally flexible." Kazuma noted with a hint of sadness. "Put simply, at this point in time Seireitei needs builders, not destroyers. My position in 11th makes me both... too brutish, and too high-ranked -in a manner of speaking - to aid with tasks such as cleaning the wreckage or rebuilding the structures."

As Masaru pulls out the calendar, Kazuma notes, "Anytime you're free, sir. I would even suggest now, were it not for the fact I have no idea how much work you've to do at the moment."
    "Our society need builders and protectors, Kazuma-san. Protectors may destroy and kill to protect things, but our foremost goal should always be to keep others safe. Not destruction for its own sake.

That you can recognize the need for builders means you have nothing to truly fear.
    "

He shrugged.

"If nothing else, perhaps some of the plants your division grows may be helpful in times to come. And certainly they'll have need of guards at the site for a time. Still, I understand that the current situation puts you in a sort of limbo."

He sighed and gestured at a few piles of paperwork on his desk.

"Sadly, I am not free enough to train for several hours, not right now. There are after-action-reports to fill out, plans to revise, and so on. As well, I'll have to likely end up spending time soothing ruffled feathers, due to my Division's rather direct nature in taking control of the situation in the outskirts. Urgency and efficiency demanded it, and we were equal to the task, but there may be a few officers who feel differently. Despite the positive results our efforts garnered. I'd hate to think how jumbled the efforts would have been if no one had taken charge."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

"It gets hard to discern, sir. The tools are similar, but when the ends blur, well..." Kazuma sighed. "It actually makes me more upset because I'm starting to realize just how narrow my role is. How limited my use is, as far as things go. Gotei was attacked no more than a day ago, and I couldn't even do anything to keep the wounded and dead from piling up.

Powerlessness is horrible. Uselessness is... worse."

But then again, just now he was given a use. Out of friendship and consideration no less. So he doesn't spend much time sulking.

"I don't understand why they feel that way. Push comes to shove, we're all comrades, we all fight our battles in our own ways. It's more important that we pull out than it is who did it.

In any case, sir... I'll see you tomorrow afternoon. The 11th division has some training grounds tuned to the needs of high-seated officers that should prove perfect for our sparring."

Spoiler
    Show
    Skip to the training? Or wanna do a separate episode for it?

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"It gets hard to discern, sir. The tools are similar, but when the ends blur, well..." Kazuma sighed. "It actually makes me more upset because I'm starting to realize just how narrow my role is. How limited my use is, as far as things go. Gotei was attacked no more than a day ago, and I couldn't even do anything to keep the wounded and dead from piling up.

Powerlessness is horrible. Uselessness is... worse."
    "Then start looking for other ways to help. Even if preparing to actually help will take time. If you want to know how to do basic battlefield medicine, study with the 4th. If you want to know how to build, study with the 7th. And so on. There are 12 other Gotei Divisions, plus a Kido Corps. With all that accumulated experience and knowledge, I'm sure you can find something you feel would help you contribute better."

His tone was firm, but not mocking; it was like a teacher speaking to a student.

But then again, just now he was given a use. Out of friendship and consideration no less. So he doesn't spend much time sulking.

"I don't understand why they feel that way. Push comes to shove, we're all comrades, we all fight our battles in our own ways. It's more important that we pull out than it is who did it.

In any case, sir... I'll see you tomorrow afternoon. The 11th division has some training grounds tuned to the needs of high-seated officers that should prove perfect for our sparring."

Spoiler
    Show
    Skip to the training? Or wanna do a separate episode for it?
    "Despite our vast powers and incredible ages, we're still human on a fairly fundamental level. And many people like having power, and their own sphere of control that no one can violate.

Alternatively, they're so caught up in tradition that it irks them. "Each Division is it's own, and no other shall command it!" I've yet to see that be a true, absolute law, but many treat it as such.

I agree with you, but not all do. Such is life. Or afterlife, as it were.
    "

He stands and gives Kazuma a quick bow.

"I look forward to our shared learning experience, Kazuma-san."

Spoiler
    Show
    Now's fine, and in this thread is fine.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground

[10th Grounds]

The guards were getting tired of the Vice Captain of the Thirteenth Division, the so-called "Striker" of Gotei. He refused to shut the hell up. He had given up on cards, and was now itching for a spar.

"Come oooon guys! What's the harm? I could use a plain old bokken!"

The guard nearest to the door growled.

"Mitsukai-fukutaichou, you would still win. Your skills are all centered around your swordsmanship, and your fists. So, no. You are not going to engage in a spar with any of us."

They couldn't wait until he was taken for questioning.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    He nods. "Yes. He is being held in intensive care. Takahashi-taichou suffers from major blunt force trauma and is being treated very carefully. What is more alarming is the burns on his left arm. No one in the division has seen anything like it. Thusfar it appears that the Captain himself shredded his own skin... I digress. Takahashi-taichou appears to be recovering, but it will be some time before he is properly fit for duty."
    "...Very well. See to it that he receives the best care possible." Ryouichi nods to the 4th Divisioner. "Is there anything else worth mention?"
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

[Somewhere in Soul Society]

Nagamichi Soushi sneezes. Repeatedly.

I feel a great disturbance. Like I'm missing out on something I could capitalize on to destroy Soul Society forever.

And then he sneezes again.

Or maybe it's just my allergies.

[Masaru's office]

"I'll keep that in mind, sir. You know, I got a promotion recently; it was recommended by Seiko-fukutaichou not long after we returned from the Joint Operation. He said... he felt I was more responsible. I'm a little unsure of what it means to gradually start leading others. With any luck, I'll be able to share my insights with you - hopefully become a better officer for this. Short of the commander-general himself I cannot think of any other member of Gotei better suited to the task than yourself.

But I'm blathering at this point. See you tomorrow."

[At the field]

The 11th's training field is fairly nondescript as far as a facility goes. Packed earth with the occasional large rock and dead tree dotting the landscape, providing a minimum number of obstacles. They "feel" natural, but are actually artificial constructs, similar in most every respect to the real thing, except for the need of maintenance. It makes cleanup easier.

Kazuma is waiting, as the two agreed. He seems to be sporting a large-ish mantle over his shihakusho - and by his side rests a humongous sword. A closer inspection reveals a lack of edge to it, and the greenish tint to the "blade" reveals its nature as little better than a slab of Sekkiseki fashioned and reinforced into a huge broadsword.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

"...Very well. See to it that he receives the best care possible." Ryouichi nods to the 4th Divisioner. "Is there anything else worth mention?"
    "Yes. He mentions 'Hannibal' and 'Kujo' quite a great deal, though it is hard to make out full sentences. We've been using strong anesthetics."

Ren Karashi

Ren walked the grounds of 10th. At times like these, he liked to listen to the quiet. After the fall of Maggot's Nest, things were beginning to return to normal. And despite his hatred of that hell hole, Ren felt remorse. The Nest was what made him as good as he was. There was no doubt in that.

Still. Something about the situation did not sit well with him. Several prisoners unaccounted for. More dead. The assailant gone, without a trace. Kujo. A name Ren found familiar among the walls of the Nest, and a name he found ever more familiar now. 10th's records and those of just about every other division willing to share had been collected and sorted through by various members of 10th, and yet still they knew too little about this man. Where he was, where he was going. And their dumb captain had gotten himself hospitalized.

Butterflies passed overhead. Despite everything, Sereitei still functioned. Ren could take some happiness in that.

Until a big-ass hole opened up in the sky.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2011-05-08 at 11:37 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[At the field]

The 11th's training field is fairly nondescript as far as a facility goes. Packed earth with the occasional large rock and dead tree dotting the landscape, providing a minimum number of obstacles. They "feel" natural, but are actually artificial constructs, similar in most every respect to the real thing, except for the need of maintenance. It makes cleanup easier.

Kazuma is waiting, as the two agreed. He seems to be sporting a large-ish mantle over his shihakusho - and by his side rests a humongous sword. A closer inspection reveals a lack of edge to it, and the greenish tint to the "blade" reveals its nature as little better than a slab of Sekkiseki fashioned and reinforced into a huge broadsword.
    Masaru arrives with little fanfare. He has left his glasses and haori in his office, not wanting to see them damaged.

He walks slowly into the area, visibly looking around to take in the sights. He stops about 10 feet away from Kazuma, tilting his head to one side in obvious puzzlement.

"What's the idea behind that...weapon? It's too crude to really be a sword."

He smiles slightly, obviously not meaning to upset Kazuma with the statement.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

"A sword is only as good as its master, Masaru-taichou. As a Shinigami I'm sure you understand that better than anyone." Kazuma replied. He hefted the weapon with what seemed like relatively little effort; but Masaru could see, and sense, the faint wisps of Reiatsu flowing over his arm and hand. It eventually drifted into the sekkiseki, where it disappeared completely.

"This is my training weapon. I've come to realize that in order to truly master Sazan'ou, my control over my own Reiatsu must be flawless. Neither waste nor restriction must happen. It's always been my weakest spot, after all - why I could use Shunpo but never quite control it.

So I had 7th division make this up for me. I've been training with it ever since. And as I trained with it I realized two very interesting things. The first, it makes an excellent defensive weapon, crude as it is - I can cleave energy attacks with it just as well as if they were solid. And the second..."

With that, Kazuma took a sudden swing, an arc seemingly aimed at a rock no more than twenty feet away. A violent gust of wind cracked the rock in half.

"...a weapon made of sekkiseki, in sufficiently skilled hands, has a 'phantom range'. When swung just the right way, one can use the vaccuum of Reishi it forces by nullifying the particles to create pressure. If swung with sufficient force, such a vaccuum can be used to strike the opponent from a distance without relying upon close combat. If we could only learn how to smelt Sekkiseki ore, we could create devastating weapons indeed."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Masaru patiently lets Kazuma go through his full explanation, raising an eyebrow at the "phantom range" attack.

"Impressive. Most impressive. You've clearly given careful thought to your training; this seems like something well-suited to your goals. However. I would ask that we not spend every session sparring with this blade. Sometimes, you must use something smaller and quicker. Consider it part of your versatility training. In time, I may have you practice switching rapidly between weapons."

He looked thoughtful at the idea of making multiple weapons of this material.

"Perhaps. Then again, many would end up constantly exhausted due to the energy drain affect. As well, it's still ultimately dead rock. We use our Zanpakutou because they are a part of us. We will always, in the end, fight better with them than with some other weapon. Even hand to hand fighting and Kido don't have the same...resonance...that weilding one's soul made manifest does."

With a neutral expression, he draws only his katana, taking up a two-handed grip and a loose defensive stance.

"Attack me."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

"As you wish, sir."

Kazuma's strike is deceptively fast, considering the size of what he's lugging around. Indeed, it flows with a grace that is difficult to observe at first. The 7th seat does not use Shunpo, choosing instead a direct, head-on vertical assault.

This doesn't make it any easier to parry or dodge. Though the motion itself is telling and the options are simple to choose, there's something to be said for the efficiency of the strike itself.

It is clear that, while Kazuma may not be giving his all, he is respectful enough of Masaru's strength not to slack off.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[11th Division Training Ground]

Spoiler
    Show
    "As you wish, sir."

Kazuma's strike is deceptively fast, considering the size of what he's lugging around. Indeed, it flows with a grace that is difficult to observe at first. The 7th seat does not use Shunpo, choosing instead a direct, head-on vertical assault.

This doesn't make it any easier to parry or dodge. Though the motion itself is telling and the options are simple to choose, there's something to be said for the efficiency of the strike itself.

It is clear that, while Kazuma may not be giving his all, he is respectful enough of Masaru's strength not to slack off.
    Masaru takes a moment as Kazuma draws closer. He seems to be thinking over his actions...

Right before he flash-stepped to Kazuma's left side, away from the attack, bringing his own sword up in a diagonal slice that would hurt, but clearly not seriously injure. It seems he too was not slacking off.

12th Division]
    Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Takeshi sat in the warehouse district of Phoenix Town, glancing around for a suitable location. He’d ned to do this fast though so far no one’d chase him. The mortals were sure going to feel the first of this though…and probably Soul Society…but that was an idea. Takeshi suddenly races off until he’s over the ocean, glancing around before forming a series of barriers. If this worked…any spiritual being in Japan would see this. He folded the barriers in on themselves, stacking them higher and thicker until a solid white cube one hundred feet by one hundred feet formed. The barriers number and closeness was what was giving it the odd almost unearthly white color that seemed to thrum with energy. He slowly flew away, turning and aiming a finger at the slowly disappearing glow. He’d practiced the spell so many times it was almost as if it was a breath, two blasts of lightning lancing out from his finger tips to race into the distance before diving under the ocean.

The explosion could be seen from the coast of Japan, lighting up the sky with a glow even the spiritually unaware would be able to see. What was more, the explosion could be felt by any spiritual being even as far as the Hawaiian Islands, a wave of energy thick and deep like the ocean itself. Takeshi didn’t know if he could hold his breath for to long but as the shockwave of the explosion doubled back he broke the surface for a few thankful gasps for breath. That should prove a good enough distraction for the time being. He raced off towards Phoenix Town once more, shivering a little from the cold. The mortal world was going to take some getting used to.
    Yoshi, 20th seat of 12th Division, was woken up by a combination of blaring alarms and an intern shaking him awake.

"What."

"Uh, sir, there's....a situation."

"Okay, give me two minutes."

The intern did, and less than 5 minutes later, Yoshi was in one of the main monitoring stations.

"Situation."

"Well, putting aside the ever-growing brawl with one of the Espada, that the 13th is working to respond to even now, we just had a massive explosion of energy out over the ocean."

"Let me look at the data."

Yoshi's frown deepened as he read more.

"This doesn't really make sense. I mean, there's nothing there. Our ocean-pointing sensors aren't great, but enough nasty critters come out of there we have to keep sharp. Hm. The bigger head-scratcher is that it's Kido energy, not Hollow energy. Can't tell what spell, which is probably for the best. Okay, no survey teams yet. Contact...Wait, the hell you say?"

He'd just been told by someone else that Kido Commander Takeshi had randomly decided to exile himself from Soul Society, apparently taking all their written records and other data storage, along with about 30 scattered members of the group. Soul Society forces were tracking down the other 20 who got left behind.

"Man, makes me glad I came here...Crap. Okay. Contact 1st, 9th, and 13th. Tell them it was a big-ass explosion, but we don't know what did it. We're working to refine our scans, but we're not certain there's anything there. It could be some form of distraction. We're just damn lucky no mortals got caught in the blast. Well, hop to it! Get those scanners on 5 times the clarity of returns!"

Yoshi stood there, leaning a bit on his staff and frowning.

'The last thing we needed was someone else flipping out like that.'

21. - Top - End - #111
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kitano Takeshi stood before the assembled Kido Corps, pacing as he the jug of sake sat full still. He’d only been the commander for a short period…and already he was going to surpass all the other insane leaders and by a long margin. He doubted the Kido Corp would look the same after all of this. He was glad at that at least, change was needed if Soul Society…no…the entirety of existence was going to survive. That much was certain. No time like the present to do something totally stupid with consequences you really didn’t have a clue about though, plenty of time to think when you were dead or held in the Maggots Nest, though considering recent events it would probably be some time before the latter was a possibility.

“Thank you all for coming…I know I’ve not been your Commander long, but I’ve worked with all of you from my very first day in the Corp to now and I think I’ve got a lot of you figured out. So what I say next and what I do right after that is really going to cheese some of you off…and really excite the rest. Some from both camps may actually join up with one another to kick my handsome butt but…we’ll just have to see won’t we?

I’ve had a lot of time to think about how we interact with the Gotei…and Soul Society as a whole. We’re marginalized…our rights and privliges are impeded on by the Gotei at every turn. The fourth wants more control and knowledge of the De arts…the twelfth wants more control thinking science and kido should be blended together. And we just sit and take it as mandate because we behave even if we think it’s a crummy idea. There’s no struggle on our end.

But look out there now…see what just happened to them? They make deals with the enemies we have fought since the Thunder Sage taught us to use our gifts! We were taught to fight against Hollows to protect this world yet…yet we do nothing against them, they’re free to create and evolve to a point we can no longer combat them with any certainty of victory. The Gotei has done more harm than good lately and I suspect it’s been that way a lot longer then I’ve been around.

I’m not going to ask everyone to rise up and take the chance while they’re weak to try and change things, it won’t help in the long run. They outnumber us and the Central has been in their pocket for longer than any of us have lived. I’m not going to tell anyone here that we should follow in the foot steps of so many of our people and exile ourselves…I’m not going to tell you we should just stop working with them either.

I honestly in the end can’t –tell- any of you what to do, because I can only tell myself what I think I should do. But what I can do, ladies and gentlemen of the Kido Corps…is break our section of Soul Society to a point it’s totally unusable to anyone or anything and then leave it at that. I’ll also tell you all what I’m going to do because I think it’s only fair that this is all out on the table so everyone can get out before it’s to late. I am leaving Soul Society, I renounce my hold on the Kido Commander title and formally state that anyone who seeks to capture me will have to do so dead. I shall not work for an organization that grossely violates the tenets of our faith, of our very way of life. I will not place my fate in the hands of those who were sworn to keep us safe and have failed to do so. I refuse to allow a single member of the Gotei 13, their Commander Captain or anyone loyal to the Central 46 to hold on to what we’ve worked so hard to cling to."

By this point many of the Kido Corp Members stand, trying to rush the small stage though a barrier raises before them. Takeshi wasn’t an idiot, people would certainly try to get in the way of what he was planning…he would have if it were someone else for sure. He didn’t fault them at all. He didn’t fault the Kido Members who stood up and tried to struggle with the detractors either, his intent was to drive a wedge here today between those who’d go with him and those who wouldn’t. It worked of course.

"My right hand is the stone that bridges worlds. My left hand is the blade that binds reality. The black-haired shepherd is hung from a chair. Stratus clouds come, and I strike down the ibis."

With a wave of his hand a garganta opened up above the area. Many of the Kido Corp members fled but as he counted he knew it wasn’t enough. The black gate closed as others gave chase. Those who weren’t fast enough would have to pay for the sins of those who could get away. He’d have been sad but when declaring war on your own side and everyone else by proxy there was little time enough to grieve for yourself let alone anyone else.

“I hear by mandate that Kitano Takeshi follows in the footsteps of so many of our brothers and sisters and do here by exile myself until a time when Soul Society reclaims what we were founded on. May the Spirit King help us all, for now we’re all sons of...well you get the point. My right hand is the stone that bridges worlds. My left hand is the blade that binds reality. The black-haired shepherd is hung from a chair. Stratus clouds come, and I strike down the ibis."

A small garganta opened up behind Kitano Takeshi, taking him to parts unknown. The libraries, once inspected, are cleaned out and no trace of information compiled by the whole of the Kido Corp remained. The section of Soul Society sat as a twisted skeleton…the number of the Kido Corp reduced by only 50 all totaled, 20 of said numbers fleeing to the edge of the city for refuge, they would not be hard to find.
    Hidetsugu Iwaki

Hidetsugu Iwaki, as all members of the Kido Corps, was present at the meeting called by Kitano Takeshi. He listens, unresponsive, as the Kido Corps' Commander lays out his radical view of the relationship between the Kido Corps, the Gotei Thirteen, and the rest of the Soul Society. When Takeshi makes his final declaration and escapes, Iwaki remains seated.

Even after Takeshi leaves, a number of struggles continue within the meeting chamber. Iwaki finally stands, and slowly begins to break up the remaining fights, pulling the combatants apart or breaking Kido, as necessary. He makes no effort to interfere with either side beyond halting violence. Once there is a relative calm once more in the domain of the Kido Corps, Iwaki departs for his chambers. He needs some time alone. He does not agree with Takeshi's assessment of the situation, but he does not hold malice for the former Commander, either. Iwaki is one of the few members of the Kido Corps swayed to neither side, his loyalties remaining to the Kido Corps as a whole. Perhaps he could serve as a mediator in the splintered organization. Perhaps it would be better if he simply removes himself from the conflict. Only time will tell.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    [11th Division Training Ground]

Masaru takes a moment as Kazuma draws closer. He seems to be thinking over his actions...

Right before he flash-stepped to Kazuma's left side, away from the attack, bringing his own sword up in a diagonal slice that would hurt, but clearly not seriously injure. It seems he too was not slacking off.
    Masaru's experience does him credit. His timing allows him to dodge the strike efficiently, and choosing to assault Kazuma's flank rather than his back with shunpo increases the element of surprise. Unfortunately, perhaps on the heat of the moment, he DOES make one very simple mistake: he chooses to attack Kazuma's left flank rather than his right.

This is important because the left side is where his Zanpakutou rests.

Kazuma's left hand leaves the humongous rock-blade and reaches for the hilt of his nodachi. With a flick of the wrist, he reverses the blade's bearing so it is now facing downward, rather than upward, and unsheathes it partially with a half-step in Masaru's direction. This allows him to block the oncoming strike at the middle of the blade, rather than the tip, thus cutting its clashing strength in half. Almost in the same motion, he reverses his grip on the much larger broadsword, but he doesn't slash - instead, he goes for a palm strike, propelled by a short-range, one-legged shunpo, bringing the full rotation power of his waist to bear.

Maai.

The concept of 'reach' in swordsmanship. As a rule, a melee weapon is most efficient at the end of its reach, as the force behind each strike is greater at the tip rather than at the base. Thus, fighting your opponent within your maai is crucial to ensuring your attacks get through. This is why a polearm is an awkward weapon to use in close quarters - there's simply not enough space to effectively assault your opponent if he's too close. By advancing in Masaru's direction as he blocked, Kazuma sought to neutralize his opponent's maai and minimize the chances of dodging.

The 'power hand'.

In kenjutsu, the left hand provides power while the right hand provides guidance. Regardless of a wielder's dextrous hand, every swordsman is taught in the beginning to place greater strength in the left hand and use the right hand to guide the blade. By using his left hand to direct the block, Kazuma ensured that he'd apply the most efficient force available for defense.

Koshi or hip.

The base of strength of every martial artist is the hip. It grants stability and power to a given fighter's motions; an off-center koshi is the recipe for a fall. By blocking the weapon at the middle of the blade rather than the tip, Kazuma hoped to ensure that Masaru's center would be thrown off slightly - just enough to slow his reaction.

Houken.

Kazuma's short-range shunpo technique takes advantage of the rotation power provided by a one-legged burst of speed to increase striking power. In using this, Kazuma tried to compensate for his training weapon's weight.

In a single counterattack, Kazuma employed three principles of basic swordsmanship and added his own technique to maximize the effectiveness of his strike. Though relatively simple in execution, the guiding principles behind it are not so easily mastered.

For all his tactical failures in shogi, Kazuma's battlefield experience was a thing of excellence and beauty.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Katisugo Ichimyouri

Katisugo enters the room monitor room just a few minutes after Yoshi; two or three interns following behind him. He had been busying surveying the reiatsu levels at the Maggot's Nest before, they he had been informed of these current events.

Let's see what we got here.
    Katisugo causally glances at the monitors indicating the recent explosion in the Mortal World. He stares at the readings while Yoshi starts giving directions. Yoshi seemed to have things under control, with this unknown explosion, but he was curious as to where Takeshi could be going.

After you guys clarify the sensors, see if you can locate The Kido Commander and these exiles.
    "All humans are weak creatures. It is how those weak creatures fight and grow, that they eventually become strong. If you are weak, don't despair. Fight! --Saitama"

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    "Yes. He mentions 'Hannibal' and 'Kujo' quite a great deal, though it is hard to make out full sentences. We've been using strong anesthetics."
    "...hm. Very well. When he is well enough, have him consult with one of your officers." Ryouichi nods as a butterfly lands on his desk. He listens to the message, then promptly stops his idle filling of paperwork.

"...I apologize for the interruption, but I have some important business to see to." With that, the commander is gone, having shunpo'd through the balcony.

He had to find Masaru.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Masaru's experience does him credit. His timing allows him to dodge the strike efficiently, and choosing to assault Kazuma's flank rather than his back with shunpo increases the element of surprise. Unfortunately, perhaps on the heat of the moment, he DOES make one very simple mistake: he chooses to attack Kazuma's left flank rather than his right.

This is important because the left side is where his Zanpakutou rests.

Kazuma's left hand leaves the humongous rock-blade and reaches for the hilt of his nodachi. With a flick of the wrist, he reverses the blade's bearing so it is now facing downward, rather than upward, and unsheathes it partially with a half-step in Masaru's direction. This allows him to block the oncoming strike at the middle of the blade, rather than the tip, thus cutting its clashing strength in half. Almost in the same motion, he reverses his grip on the much larger broadsword, but he doesn't slash - instead, he goes for a palm strike, propelled by a short-range, one-legged shunpo, bringing the full rotation power of his waist to bear.
    Masaru's eyes widen fractionally.

Then, he smiles. Not one of insanity or bloodlust. But a smile of someone feeling the clear-headed joy of a good fight. Someone who hadn't had a chance to do this in a long while.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maai.

The concept of 'reach' in swordsmanship. As a rule, a melee weapon is most efficient at the end of its reach, as the force behind each strike is greater at the tip rather than at the base. Thus, fighting your opponent within your maai is crucial to ensuring your attacks get through. This is why a polearm is an awkward weapon to use in close quarters - there's simply not enough space to effectively assault your opponent if he's too close. By advancing in Masaru's direction as he blocked, Kazuma sought to neutralize his opponent's maai and minimize the chances of dodging.

The 'power hand'.

In kenjutsu, the left hand provides power while the right hand provides guidance. Regardless of a wielder's dextrous hand, every swordsman is taught in the beginning to place greater strength in the left hand and use the right hand to guide the blade. By using his left hand to direct the block, Kazuma ensured that he'd apply the most efficient force available for defense.
    Masaru's first reaction is to release one of his hands from his sword. Specifically, his right hand. The strain on his left arm is somewhat visible, but he manages to keep Kazuma's zanpakutou at bay.

For a moment, his right hand simply went to one side, apparently doing nothing....

Spoiler
    Show
    Koshi or hip.

The base of strength of every martial artist is the hip. It grants stability and power to a given fighter's motions; an off-center koshi is the recipe for a fall. By blocking the weapon at the middle of the blade rather than the tip, Kazuma hoped to ensure that Masaru's center would be thrown off slightly - just enough to slow his reaction.
    Except that it was actually to help him counter-balance against Kazuma's forceful rotation. He started to lean into the block, widening his stance and digging in his heels.

Well, he digs his heels in for a moment, anyways.

Spoiler
    Show
    Houken.

Kazuma's short-range shunpo technique takes advantage of the rotation power provided by a one-legged burst of speed to increase striking power. In using this, Kazuma tried to compensate for his training weapon's weight.

In a single counterattack, Kazuma employed three principles of basic swordsmanship and added his own technique to maximize the effectiveness of his strike. Though relatively simple in execution, the guiding principles behind it are not so easily mastered.

For all his tactical failures in shogi, Kazuma's battlefield experience was a thing of excellence and beauty.
    Then suddenly, he blurs again, suddenly switching his katana to his right hand. Even as he begins to compensate for the minute difference in strength, he's making several near-invisible half-steps to the side, essentially maintaining the orientation of his body to Kazuma's. Even as he does, his left arm, the hand empty just moments ago, is suddenly thrusting his wakizashi at Kazuma's attacking hand, even as Masaru's right hand works to guide Kazuma's sword all the way out of the sheath and across Kazuma's body.

The smile hasn't left Masaru's face.

Kazuma was good, that was for sure. But Masaru was no slouch either, and it was clear he was no stranger to unorthodox fighting techniques that uses a weapon in each hand.

Considering he was close friends with the Commander-General, this shouldn't come as a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Righty View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Katisugo Ichimyouri

Katisugo enters the room monitor room just a few minutes after Yoshi; two or three interns following behind him. He had been busying surveying the reiatsu levels at the Maggot's Nest before, they he had been informed of these current events.

Let's see what we got here.
    Katisugo causally glances at the monitors indicating the recent explosion in the Mortal World. He stares at the readings while Yoshi starts giving directions. Yoshi seemed to have things under control, with this unknown explosion, but he was curious as to where Takeshi could be going.

After you guys clarify the sensors, see if you can locate The Kido Commander and these exiles.
    Yoshi glanced over to the Vice-Captain. He eyed the others in the command center, then walked over and spoke in a low voice.

"I've already ordered esentially that, sir. Thing is, while our sensors are good, that town is a mess right now. Not to mention, they've probably got a few ways to hide. We'll do our best, but I wager this'll fall on the shoulders of the 2nd and 9th more so than us. Besides-"

"Holy ****."

Yoshi whirled to look at the monitors on the wall (they filled said wall, really), and paled.

"I...I think that might be the Ghost King. In that mess. Oh dear."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Yoshi glanced over to the Vice-Captain. He eyed the others in the command center, then walked over and spoke in a low voice.

"I've already ordered esentially that, sir. Thing is, while our sensors are good, that town is a mess right now. Not to mention, they've probably got a few ways to hide. We'll do our best, but I wager this'll fall on the shoulders of the 2nd and 9th more so than us. Besides-"

"Holy ****."

Yoshi whirled to look at the monitors on the wall (they filled said wall, really), and paled.

"I...I think that might be the Ghost King. In that mess. Oh dear."
    Katisugo nods seemingly unfazed by his mistake. Replying to Yoshi in a low-voice.
    I see. Guess I wasn't paying that much attention.

Katisugo continues to peer at the screen listening to Yoshi right up until spots what he believes to be the Ghost King in the Mortal World, which catches his attention.
    What? In the Mortal World?
    Katisugo looks at the giant blip of reiatsu on the screen overwhelming nearly everyone else within the vicinity. He runs a quick IFF check on the reiatsu signature. It only takes seconds to identify with big big bold red letters on the screen

Reiatsu IFF Found
    Erscheinung von Geister.

Now Katisugo's face begins to pale. Thoughts began swarming in his head. What was von Geister doing in the Mortal World? Is he going to wring in the arrancar reeking havoc in the city? Or is this some follow up phase to the earlier attack in Soul Society?

Heavens have mercy...
    He turns his attention to the people in the room.
    Sound the Alarm! Send messages to 5th Divisons and 13th Disivion if their not already aware of his presence ASAP. I want everyone on standby. Also, if were not recording these readings already someone better start now.
    Katisugo turns to Yoshi.
    Yoshi, I want you to stay and oversee this, I have to go find Captain Kazuo and inform him immediately.
    "All humans are weak creatures. It is how those weak creatures fight and grow, that they eventually become strong. If you are weak, don't despair. Fight! --Saitama"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Kazuo is reading a book an e-book outside of the 12th division grounds.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

Kazuma already trusted Masaru not to be surprised by his counter. The man did have nearly eight lifetimes more experience than he did. But he couldn't help but be amazed at his sparring partner's resourcefulness. Not everyone was used to the idea of two-weapon fighting, or even mixing up melee and unarmed combat.

This is Masaru-taichou's idea of RUSTY?!

The playing field was more than even now. Kazuma had the advantage of reach, but that didn't mean much unless he could pin Masaru to keep this from turning into a disadvantage like he'd tried a moment ago.

And now Masaru's counter had just threatened to clash against his own. Masaru does manage to force Kazuma to fully unsheathe his weapon, and even scratch along that strange mantle he was wearing (which gives the strange feeling of scraping against stone -- waitaminute, STONE?!), but his thrust misses by a fraction of an inch as Kazuma changes trajectory mid-swing. That he manages to do so on the fly speaks of his reflexes.

There is a strange clenching as he does so however, and Masaru can clearly notice his hand shifting grip in mid-air again. Then his lower body blurs as he forces rotation with shunpo again, but this time on the opposite direction. He leans on his back leg for balance, and the ominous hum of the large rock cleaving through the air follows a weaker slice from the nodachi. But perhaps more alarming is the foot sweep that comes a fraction of a second ahead of it.

Between the feint, the sweep and the veritable wall of stone practically barrelling towards Masaru, it seems Kazuma is trying to force the captain to pick between dodging and defending - yet not leaving much room for either.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

Ryouichi arrives at the edge of the training grounds as Masaru and Kazuma duke it out. For a few moments, he is patient despite a slight air of urgency about him. But as things press on, he whistles in a way that the Captain can recognize as being important.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Kazuma already trusted Masaru not to be surprised by his counter. The man did have nearly eight lifetimes more experience than he did. But he couldn't help but be amazed at his sparring partner's resourcefulness. Not everyone was used to the idea of two-weapon fighting, or even mixing up melee and unarmed combat.

This is Masaru-taichou's idea of RUSTY?!

The playing field was more than even now. Kazuma had the advantage of reach, but that didn't mean much unless he could pin Masaru to keep this from turning into a disadvantage like he'd tried a moment ago.

And now Masaru's counter had just threatened to clash against his own. Masaru does manage to force Kazuma to fully unsheathe his weapon, and even scratch along that strange mantle he was wearing (which gives the strange feeling of scraping against stone -- waitaminute, STONE?!), but his thrust misses by a fraction of an inch as Kazuma changes trajectory mid-swing. That he manages to do so on the fly speaks of his reflexes.

There is a strange clenching as he does so however, and Masaru can clearly notice his hand shifting grip in mid-air again. Then his lower body blurs as he forces rotation with shunpo again, but this time on the opposite direction. He leans on his back leg for balance, and the ominous hum of the large rock cleaving through the air follows a weaker slice from the nodachi. But perhaps more alarming is the foot sweep that comes a fraction of a second ahead of it.

Between the feint, the sweep and the veritable wall of stone practically barrelling towards Masaru, it seems Kazuma is trying to force the captain to pick between dodging and defending - yet not leaving much room for either.
    Masaru's smile tightened fractionally; it was clear Kazuma's unorthodox tactics were just foreign enough he had to take precious split-seconds to adjust to them. Not enough to lose the duel, but enough to mean he couldn't seriously gain ground. Which was saying something in a kenjutsu-only duel.

Then again, Kazuma had learned under Himura Michiko. One of only two people who could definitively defeat Masaru in such a fight.

The other had recently arrived to watch the fight.

As Kazuma's newest attack came closer, Masaru suddenly leaps back in a blur of not-quite-shunpo, beginning a rotation of his own to redirect both of Kazuma's weapons with his own. The leg sweep was approximately an inch short of Masaru's new position.

He seemed ready to press the counter-attack, when-

Ryouichi arrives at the edge of the training grounds as Masaru and Kazuma duke it out. For a few moments, he is patient despite a slight air of urgency about him. But as things press on, he whistles in a way that the Captain can recognize as being important.
    -With a frown, Masaru suddenly blurs away entirely, reappearing at the edge of the arena, his swords already sheathed. He wasn't even starting to sweat as he turned and walked towards Ryouichi.

"I take it it's serious and immediate."