New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default "Races of Goblinoids"?

Just a quick question, are there any books that discuss Goblins in a sort of "Races of" format for 3.5? Language, history, religion etc?
    Credit to Bradakhan for the amazing avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: "Races of Goblinoids"?

I don't know of anything by WotC.

Of third party supplements, Mongoose's Slayer's Guide to Goblins was written for this with a high fluff focus but Mongoose's usual clumsy implementation of the mechanics that do crop up; it sounds like Dark Quest's Fell Beasts: Goblins was basically written with this goal (but I've never seen the book itself).
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-10-08 at 12:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

They did include a goblinoid prestige class in Races of Stone. But that is the most I have ever seen from official sources outside the Monster Manuals.

Edit: there is a d20 system Dragonlance book called Races of Ansalon that has a chapter on goblins.
    Last edited by BowStreetRunner; 2012-10-08 at 12:30 PM.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

IIRC there was a Races of War (from Frank Trollman) web book who focused in goblinoid/orcs; but AFAIK it is balanced against Tomes which try to balance the game around tier 1.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    IIRC there was a Races of War (from Frank Trollman) web book who focused in goblinoid/orcs; but AFAIK it is balanced against Tomes which try to balance the game around tier 1.
    I'm not looking for any rules, the game has been restricted to the 3 core books only in terms of gameplay, I'm just looking for background stuff.
    Credit to Bradakhan for the amazing avatar.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

There were some issues of Dragon which did that kind of analysis on some monsters, I recall the Hobgoblins one (which was awesome); but I don't know if there was one for goblins nor the number.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    There were some issues of Dragon which did that kind of analysis on some monsters, I recall the Hobgoblins one (which was awesome); but I don't know if there was one for goblins nor the number.
    I don't have it, but am told that Dragon #309 had the ecology of the hobgoblin. MM5 also paid a little extra attention to the hobgoblin as well.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

In sandstorm, the Buka(a type of goblin) have their own section. Most campaign settings metion them. It seems the modern notion is to have them be the common labor of cities, and live off of scraps and knicknacks in the slums.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

all i can say is that they are as smart as humans (no racial Int. modifier) and dumb as an ox according to everything ever written about them (now what does that tell you?).
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There's a homebrew project here that includes fluff as well as crunch.

I believe in the OP it is explained that the thread exists because no such book exists.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-08 at 03:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    In sandstorm, the Buka(a type of goblin) have their own section. Most campaign settings metion them. It seems the modern notion is to have them be the common labor of cities, and live off of scraps and knicknacks in the slums.
    Reading stuff like this actually makes me want to cheer for Red Cloak
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Arcanum did a similar thing with Orcs being used as essentially slave labor in the industrial revolution of that world, where before they'd basically been hunted as monsters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

You may find this useful. You can also ask Afroakuma (via PM or IRC); he's a goblin expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    You can also ask Afroakuma (via PM or IRC); he's an everything expert.
    Corrected.

What can I do for you?
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    You may find this useful. You can also ask Afroakuma (via PM or IRC); he's an everything expert.
    Corrected.

What can I do for you?
    I personally view this as a challenge so do you mind if I put forth a D&D related question and see if you can answer it? I promise it won't be something controversially debatable and will have a solid straight forward answer.

16. - Top - End - #16

If I recall correctly, there is a section about goblinoids in Race of Faerûn.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    I personally view this as a challenge so do you mind if I put forth a D&D related question and see if you can answer it? I promise it won't be something controversially debatable and will have a solid straight forward answer.
    As long as it's not 4E-related (I am contractually obligated to give a knee-jerk answer to anything on the subject) or something tedious like "what build would let me XYZ" then sure.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Eberron has goblins.

It puts... well, it puts more effort into them than any other official source I've seen, at least. It still has the 'As intelligent as humans' with 'forced to become more adaptable to deal with adversity' with 'dumb as an ox' and 'idiotic at the best of times', all in one handy package of '...wait, huh?'

Still, it's more than I've seen anywhere else. Besides that, there's the races of stone prestige class (Stonedeath assassin) and a staff in the arms & equipment guide, and that's about it for goblins. Maglubiyet isn't even in a book, to my knowledge.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

As long as it's not 4E-related (I am contractually obligated to give a knee-jerk answer to anything on the subject) or something tedious like "what build would let me XYZ" then sure.
    Alright. This one is 3.5 related so don't worry

What is Ioulaum's Field Specialization as a Netherese Arcanist?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Alright. This one is 3.5 related so don't worry

What is Ioulaum's Field Specialization as a Netherese Arcanist?
    I've found no evidence in any 3.5 source mentioning him that's at all conclusive about what it is. It is not mentalism (ironically), as Ioulaum's longevity requires seeds from the other two fields. Given his background, I'm inclined to say his field specialization was invention.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2012-10-09 at 10:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I've found no evidence in any 3.5 source mentioning him that's at all conclusive about what it is. It is not mentalism (ironically), as Ioulaum's longevity requires seeds from the other two fields. Given his background, I'm inclined to say his field specialization was invention.
    ... Damn... that was a Trick question... Good job

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you.

Oh, and to Kantolin: Maglubiyet is mentioned in Defenders of the Faith, the Monster Manual and Complete Divine, though he doesn't ever get the workup in 3.X that he had in 2E.