New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery

Alright, updated, though won't proceed much farther without a say on the whole race thing.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Oh uh, Lord Burch, I kind of reserved the 18th region.......

Edit: Also seconding that question about our world being fantastical. Are we limited to being humans or can we be "Human palette swaps" and the like?
    As long as its decently recognizeable and playable in tabletop RPGs, you can have other races. You can have them be offshoots of the human race (with the more distant ones being more different) or be different species entirely (and thus unable to cross-breed with others).

Choose wisely.

Also, races of other sorts will not have any mechanical effect on play. Playing a strong race will simply make it so your army units are reduced in size to be effectively as strong as 1000 humans, though they will take up 1000 of your people still. This is to keep things fair, balanced and uncomplicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    I, Lord David Bordeux claim region 18 as the new land of Bordeux. Lord Bordeux is 27 and married to Ygritte Firestone, the daughter of one of the more important trade families of the region. Ygritte is pregnant with the couple's second child; the heir, Lady Dalyetta, is 6.
    Region 18 has been claimed, as have all the others, sorry. I'll be adding in some more regions (and expand the map). Also, I'm amused by the name of the wife.

I'll temporarily close sign-ups later today, at least until the regions are all described. New players still have at least another 12 hours to sign up though. (Which would make it 24 hours since I posted this link around places.) This is partly to keep it within bounds at start, partly to ensure that regions don't go claimed and then nothing being done with them. Player involvement is key in any game, after all.

We will start once all characters have been statted and all regions have been fluffed (you don't have to fluff it much, stating the basic form of religion, three terrain features, three resources and one deficient resource, etc, are fine). Or on Sunday the 19th. Whichever comes sooner.

(Also, please make sure your region has one clear name I can put in the table.)

Also, OOC, what are the benefits of a Great Kingdom/Empire? I may go back and reassign my extra point, of that's allowed.
    Big projects may go a little faster, unless they are made bigger, such as a Great Wall encompassing more than one region's border.

Also, I was thinking it could enable you to vassalize new players. Like you are the Great King of 4 regions, and those 4 regions each have their rulers in the form of either NPCs or other players. When the time comes, I'll put rules in place to prevent vassal players from attacking their liege, of course, otherwise there'd be no incentive to get other players ruling parts of your Great Kingdom.

An Empire will gave the same benefits, but bigger.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-14 at 04:11 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

Region 7: Calorum The land of the Lord

Overview

Ruler: Vilindrae Divinorum
    Resources: Salt, Meat and Marble
    Imported resources: Fuels and other faith related objects
    Religion: Calorum Lord of Fire Reformation

Spoiler: Vilindrae Divinorum and Children
    Show
    Vilindrae Divinorum, High priest of Fire
    Diplomacy: 3
    Military: 3 + 1 inheritance = 4
    Curiosity: 1
    Faith: 3 + 2 inheritance = 5
    Luck: 2

Children:

The first born:
    Arthus Divinorum, Prefex of Fire
    Born: 361

Second born:
    Bruter Divinorum
    Born: 362

Third born:
    Trivina Divinorum
    Born: 363

Fourth born:
    Selena Divinorum
    Born: 364

Fifth born:
    Chi Divinorum
    Born: 365

Spoiler: Religion and politics
    Show
    Religion and politics:

Life in Calorum means serving Him. Everything anyone does is devoted to the higher presence and deviation from this believe is not tolerated since it can bring doom upon anyone close to the sinner. For centuries there had been a clear ruling system, the land was governed by the high priest of Fire and at his time of demise the council of the Holy flame would determine a successor. The high priest would hold all the power so the system comes close to a dictatorship.
    High priest Divinorum decided to change this order. By the time he showed his intentions he was already too powerful to be brought to order by the council. Combulei Divinorum declared his self a saint and could therefore only be succeeded by his direct siblings. This posed a problem, since priests are not allowed to marry and have children. Too bypass this rule, Combulei used his influence to allow himself and future high priests to have 5 children.
    Each child has to be from another (wo)man, the Brooder. The Brooder will be executed after giving birth or if the high priest is pregnant, since the Brooder will not be able to deliver care as good as is needed for the new born. The execution is considered an honor (see ‘people’). The first born child is successor to the high priest. The others serve as a means of insurance if something happens to the first child but are given powerful positions in the temples.

Recent events: Somewhere between 335 and 337 high priest Combulei was given a vision by the Lord himself. Combulei could see the absolute truth. This truth would be too big a concept to be grasped by a normal mortal, however the Lord of Fire granted Combulei and his offspring the capacity to understand a substantial amount of it. The Lord has done this to ensure that his will is carried out in the land of Calorum. The Divinorum family has made it their plight to educate as many people as possible on the teachings of the Lord and have begun making preparations to write a book containing some of the more physical information of the Truth.

Spoiler: People
    Show
    People:

The people of Calorum have a deeply religious culture. They start and end there days, praying to the lord of fire. The nights are feared most since it is a common believe that one day the lord of fire may leave them and take the sun with him if there are too many sinners in the world. The people have a Mediterranean complexion and most have black hair, although brown haired people are also common. Man that have not committed there lives to work for the temples, usually grow large beards. Monks and other servants of the temples must shave. All servants of the temples wear cloaks with hoods, apart from the council members, who wear the cloaks without the hoods and are bald, and the high priest, who wears a crown. Man and woman have the same rights but woman may not be part of the council and man may not fuel the everburning fire at Caloxdur.
    Delivering a Brooder is considered the highest honor a family can achieve and the status of the family is immediately raised to a level far above the average citizen. The family will not have to work anymore and can live from the temple’s wealth until both the father and the mother of the late brooder have passed away. From this point the rest of the family will gain good positions in the temples.

Spoiler: Cities and architecture
    Show
    The Capitol, Umrich: Umrich, is the largest city and from here the High priest rules. The Temple of Flames is located here and it is considered to be the largest building in the nation. Its spiraling towers resemble a blazing fire. If looked at from a specific angle, facial features can be observed amidst the blazing flames.
    Caloxdur: In the center of Calorum there is a large crater. It has an 50 kilometer diameter and runs 400 meters deep. Down in the middle there is a temple, Caloxdur, with a large white tower. On top of this tower the people of Calorum build a fire that is never to be extinguished.

Spoiler: Terain
    Show
    Terain:

In the west Calorum is covered with plains and small forests. The east is a rougher side with more of a stony and hill like landscape.

The white sea: In the northeast there is an unusual formation of salt crystals, formed by a dried up natural fountain. The formation spreads across a large surface, the largest distance is approximately 20 kilometers, and it is admired for its beauty. The entire surface is covered by a thick layer of white salt with an occasional salt pillar. Although its beauty is unrivalled caution needs to be taken, for the surface can be unstable. This is due to the large tunnels beneath the salt, produced by dried up underground rivers.
    The 7 rings: The 7 rings are a colossal rock formation. They are huge rocks covered by grass with a large hole in the middle, making them look like rings standing upright. Their origin is unknown but it is expected that something must have pierced through all of them at ones since they stand in one line and are perfectly aligned. The space between each rock however is also massive since the formation spreads from the western most part of the country to the midpoint of the border that separates Calorum from region 10.
    Pit of light: As described in 'Cities and architecture', the center of Calorum is characterized by a large crater. This crater was the result of a meteor that fell from the sky ages ago. The meteor itself is long gone, its minerals were used by the people who lived in that time. now it is a fertile land and home of Caloxdur

Spoiler: Resources
    Show
    Resources:

There are 3 main resources that the people of Calorum live in abundance of. The first one is salt, the salt fields in the northwest are mined for salt which is used for conserving meat and other produces.
    Another resource is marble, the rocky terrain in the west is suffused with marble which is used for constructing temples.
    The fields in the east are useful for farming. Many farmers focus on keeping cows since they give both milk and meat. Especially the meat is useful since it can be kept for long times due to the salt.
    Any fuelling resources, apart from wood, are highly valued and rare. Therefore the people of Calorum will attempt to trade for these items if possible. The fuel is used during a great many amount of ceremonies, like the longer burning fats that are used for candles.

Spoiler: Local Fauna
    Show
    Throughout the Pit of light a strange creature has been sighted. Basically they are tiny, little, flames, on legs. The creatures have developed a mechanism to convert all their heat into energy that they use to live. This means that they are no hotter than an average creature of that size. If under enough stress though, they can briefly adjust their metabolism and become as hot as a normal fire. They are not rare and, if specifically looked for, can be found in a day or so, depending on how lucky you are.

Old Rulers:

Spoiler: Combulei Divinorum and children (Diseased; old age)
    Show
    Updated to the year 360 ( end of round 6) (will not be updated from here on)

My dear Sir/Lady,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Combulei Divinorum, High priest of Fire. I have been charged with the concerns of this country and I will see to it that all goes according to His plans. If we follow His commands we are bound to prosper and live in peace and prosperity.
    By now you must have received the documents send by my daughter, Vilindrae Divinorum, Prefex of Fire, Priestes of Caloxdur, that give a better understanding of my country. I hope they give you sufficient information.
    I shall consume your time no more and hope to meet with you in person one day so we can discus the future!

Yours sincerely,

Combulei Divinorum, High priest of Fire

Diplomacy: 3
    Military: 3 (+1 round 3)
    Curiosity: 3 (+1 round 4)
    Faith: 10 (+1, +2, +1, +1 in round 1,2,3,4 respectively)
    Luck: 2

Combulei had 4 children:

The first born:
    Vilindrae Divinorum, Prefex of Fire, Priestes of Caloxdur. (old titles, now High Priest)

The second born:

Inualu Divinorum, Council chairman, Priest of Caloxdur

The third born:
    Silandei Divinorum, Keeper of the holy flame, Priestess of Caloxdur

The fourth born:
    Karila Divinorum, Preacher of Caloxdur, Consultant of the 12 temples, Priestess of Caloxdur

The fifth born:
    Simovi Divinorum, Carrier of the flaming shield, Primary server of Light

Last edited by Chief; 2014-03-09 at 05:38 AM.
    "Only the foolish overlook the threat that kobolds actually pose." - Races of the Dragon

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Answering some questions/asking some of my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    I, Loki Ethmorl, first of that name, high guildmaster and bearer of the cerulean scythe do hearby claim region 10 in the name of the Nine Guilds of Hrathan and Tuor. Details of our most glorious alliance shall be forthcoming within the next two days.
    Is the name of the region Hrathan, Tuor, Hrathan-Tuor, or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by D20ragon View Post
    Meaning to say, I will be claiming region 11, for the divided north and south Republics of Sidvarsa, and his majesty Czar Demetrius VII.
    Sounds like a constitutional monarchy then, as my own country (the Netherlands) was at its conception.

Quick question. Are we able to increase these scores through actions? Also, can we use our special ability more then once?
    Scores can be increased through actions. Every round you have a chance of increasing one of your scores. At that point, you can choose between increasing one of two given scores. Lower scores are easier to improve. However, improving scores is dependent on your actions, as they require you to perform actions related to that score. This means that if you wish to take advantage of the easier-improvement of lower scores, you have to spend actions on things you're bad at, which might put you at a disadvantage at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by THEChanger View Post
    Is magic something that is known in this world? We worship spirits mostly, but does that worship have observable effect? Are there creatures beyond what is found on Earth? Are these questions I should be asking?
    Magic does exist, but it is a vague and mysterious force, and the people are not yet able to use it. It will become available sometime in the future.

The worship is believed to have have observable effect.

There are many magical beasts found throughout these lands, though great creatures such as dragons, undead, constructs, aberrations and such are only told of in legends, possibly distant history. Spirits such as fey and elementals and similar things are at rare times encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    I am interested in playing if I may, however I have not played any sort of game like this on the forums before. Are you alright with this?
    That's no problem at all! Most people here are on their first of second game of this sort. New players are more likely to develop entirely new strategies of play, whether they work is something else. Above all it's a social game with mental challenges, rather than heavily mechanical.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-14 at 04:56 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

( Trying to keep the base VERY simple, before i start writing for 5+ hours again xD )

The Leader.

Name: High King Feldin Grimhammer
    Marital Status: Not married

Coming into the throne at a young age, Feldin felt at home in the riches and in command, it didnt take him long to have heard everything from his scouts and advisors what generally was going on in the regions near Keldagrim, there was word of vampires!...And after a lot of explaination Feldin knew what vampires were and did, and couldnt help but hate them already.

Rolls: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...3#post16787043

Diplomacy
    Military
    Curiosity
    Faith
    Luck

The Land
    Keldagrim, the great dwarven fortress under the mountains of Daviing,

Terrains
    Steep mountains and deep ravines, this craggy place looks a lot less strong than it actually is, cracks running over almost all rocks are the reason for that, but who knows what cracks are actually running deeper than a few inches?

Every now and then there is a clearing with mostly some small pools of water and some patches of grass, it was an inactive volcano after all, so the soil was fertile.
    Pools of lava are also not a rare sight on and in the mountains.
    Underground mushroom forest Greode, the toxins in these mushrooms are used to make special dwarven anti-toxins, some desperate adventurers who were very hungry couldnt resist to eat the tasty looking mushrooms.

There is also a small goblin kingdom, under the name of Fiddlesnarf, in exchange for peace with the dwarves, they volunteered to work for the dwarves, so that they might avoid the fate of the other Goblin tribe of Dravensnarf.

The gates to Keldagrim are huge, with doors made out of solid metal, ingenious contraptions make these doors open and close, but how is only known to dwarfkind.

People
    Sturdy, bearded folk, even the woman have hints of beards, but the better a dwarf's beard the finer the warrior is according to legends.

Resources
    On the mountains are goats roaming about, but where the real riches lie, is IN the mountain, gold and iron are most commonly found due to the work of eager young dwarfs, desperate to prove their worth to their king.
    Every once in a while a small vein of Mythril is struck, but that is one of the resources Keldagrim refuses to trade.

Population
    A fine dwarven kingdom, yet there has never been someone who cared to count.

Technology
    Siege equipment and plans for some advanced weapons.
    Throwing axes, optimized for sharpness and light weight.

Religion
    Ancestor Worship.
    Last edited by Silver Ablaze; 2014-03-10 at 11:49 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

I updated the second post to include all the regions' information. If you wish to create further stuff, like history or things about cities, you can post fluff and I can add a link to it.

You can check the second post to see what sections you haven't completed yet (religion may be common, as it was first less open).

The third post will include info on current characters and family trees.

The fourth post will include actions.

7. - Top - End - #67

I updated the following parts since terain and architecture are not the samething (obviously ) Anyway this is what I edited

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Region 7: Calorum The land of the Lord

Spoiler: Cities and architecture
    Show
    The Capitol, Umrich: Umrich, is the largest city and from here the High priest rules. The Temple of Flames is located here and it is considered to be the largest building in the nation. Its spiraling towers resemble a blazing fire. If looked at from a specific angle, facial features can be observed amidst the blazing flames.
    Caloxdur: In the center of Calorum there is a large crater. It has an 50 kilometer diameter and runs 400 meters deep. Down in the middle there is a temple, Caloxdur, with a large white tower. On top of this tower the people of Calorum build a fire that is never to be extinguished.

Spoiler: Terain
    Show
    Terain:

In the west Calorum is covered with plains and small forests. The east is a rougher side with more of a stony and hill like landscape.

The white sea: In the northeast there is an unusual formation of salt crystals, formed by a dried up natural fountain. The formation spreads across a large surface, the largest distance is approximately 20 kilometers, and it is admired for its beauty. The entire surface is covered by a thick layer of white salt with an occasional salt pillar. Although its beauty is unrivalled caution needs to be taken, for the surface can be unstable. This is due to the large tunnels beneath the salt, produced by dried up underground rivers.
    The 7 rings: The 7 rings are a colossal rock formation. They are huge rocks covered by grass with a large hole in the middle, making them look like rings standing upright. Their origin is unknown but it is expected that something must have pierced through all of them at ones since they stand in one line and are perfectly aligned. The space between each rock however is also massive since the formation spreads from the western most part of the country to the midpoint of the border that separates Calorum from region 10.
    Pit of light: As described in 'Cities and architecture', the center of Calorum is characterized by a large crater. This crater was the result of a meteor that fell from the sky ages ago. The meteor itself is long gone, its minerals were used by the people who lived in that time. now it is a fertile land and home of Caloxdur

"Only the foolish overlook the threat that kobolds actually pose." - Races of the Dragon

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

I realize I made an error when typing what I did about religion and accidentally put it under 'People' instead of its own section. Here is a tidy version.

Also, thank you for letting me play. I look forward to the game.

Religion
    The people of Tekorva do not have an organized religion as of yet, however most believe in the various spirits playing an important part in daily life. (Spirit-based paganism)
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, updated my race. They are definitely not human.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discover

Bordeux
    Region 20, Lord_Burch
    Lord David
    Current Stats:
    Diplomacy:6
    Military: 5
    Curiosity: 7
    Faith: 2
    Luck: 4

Population:109,000

Original Stats:
    Diplomacy: 4
    Military: 2
    Curiosity: 4
    Faith: 2
    Luck: 3
    Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy:5
    Military:2
    Curiosity:6
    Faith:2
    Luck:3
    Oldest male inherits.
    Family Tree
    http://www.familyecho.com/?p=START&c...17135659470770

Cities
    Spoiler
    Show
    The capitol, Arisseux sits upon the Cerise River, and is home to the Bordeux and the Cerise families. It is well-fortified, with a large wall protecting the front while the only bridge across the Cerise is protected by two gates. The city of Adessa sits upon Ironwind Pass that, despite it's forbidding name, is the only pass that leads into the mountains all year. It is bounded on three sides by mountains, and sits upon a plateau high above the foothills of the mountains. These natural fortifications has led to a general apathy for building any other defensive structures. Vernon sits within the Freeman Forest and is the center of travel between the other cities and other regions. It also is bounded by walls; however, these are fairly old and the city has grown past them since their construction.

Terrain
    Spoiler
    Show
    The northern part of Bordeux is made up of the Damian Mountains, which are both heavily forested on the lower slopes and contain many raw ores within. However, the mountains are mostly wild, untamed country, where monsters lurk in the shadows and all but the trappers who call this place home can wander without fear. The rest of the land is mostly covered in the Freeman Forest, while the Cherise River cuts through and eventually leads to the sea. The Cerise originates at Lake Merlon in the mountains.

Religion
    Spoiler
    Show
    The people of Bordeux are mainly animists. However, the city dwellers have started to convert to The Lord of Fire, especially among the nobility and middle-class craftsmen of the cities.

People
    Spoiler
    Show
    The people of Bordeux are typically red-haired and tall. They are a strong, rugged people, from years of hard living and having to survive in an inhospitable land. They always try to make the most of what they have been given, and as such, are normally cunning hunters, trappers, and merchants.
    Spoiler: Customs
    Show
    -Typically, the suffix "-el", meaning "of the goddess", is an honors term typically ascribed to great figures or places of significance from history.
    -Likewise, the suffix "-or" is used as the gravest of insults. It means "the damned [by the goddess]", and is used as either an insult, or, historically, to convey the evil of the deeds of men.

Resources
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bordeux mainly deals in raw goods. The six merchant families (The Cerise, the Bordeux [also the ruling family], the Firestones, the Finir, the Gerian, and the Formos) all deal in a specific resource. The Bordeux and Cerise families run the logging operations for cedar in the Freeman forest. The Firestone and Finir families are miner families, controlling the gold mines in the Damien Mountains and have their seat at Adessa. The Formos and Gerian are fur and game trappers that hunt throughout the mountains for prime furs and provide protein for the people. Fishers also provide food in Arisseux and Adessa. They live in Vernon, situated in the Freeman Forest. Foods such as grains, fruits, or vegetables must be imported, due to the lack of arable land.

Army
    Spoiler
    Show
    -2000 Light Infantry
    -4000 Heavy Infantry
    -1000 Light Calvary

Holidays
    Spoiler
    Show
    Every year, on a date known as the "Frost Moon", a festival is held, traditionally known as simply the Frost Moon festival. However, about every twenty years, for a single night the Frost Moon is partially eclipsed by the Angelic Moon. This produces an effect known as "the Halo", where the larger Frost Moon is eclipsed to create a ring of silvery light. This signals the beginning of the Angelic Concurrence. On the first day, a beauty competition between any young woman of Bordeux is held to select the Lady in the Cycles. At dusk begins the first of the Cycles, five plays that detail the Ages of Gaia. In between Cycles, competitions of dance, art, and sculpture are held.

A History of the Earth
    Spoiler
    Show
    When Gaia was young, and the universe without form, an Age of Frost held the world in its thrall. No life wandered the earth; life had not yet come into being. Then, a spark, that gave birth to the first of the Children of the Earth: Ladríal, the Life-Bringer and Ice Shaper. For eons, she wandered the earth, searching for one like her self- living, breathing, warm. Finding none, she decided to create some by herself. Taking the purest of ice, she sculpted it into what she believed would be the perfect form- a blade of grass, infinitesimal in its detail. However, she was not satisfied with her creation- even after breathing her life into it, it did move, it did not learn and achieve like she strived to do. Each day, she carved a new form, each more perfect than the last, until, at least, she crafted the final Child of Frost- mankind. Into this final creation of hers, she breathed the last of her greatest virtues- creativity, and knowledge. Thus ended the Age of Creation, and began the First Age of Man. (Scupltor)

After her colossal effort, Ladríal slept. The effort of creation took its toll, and the goddess required healing. However, not all was well with her creations. Mankind had creativity and knowledge, yes, but not the morals or compassion to use it well. Terrible wars that shattered earth and sky and rent the fabric of reality itself asunder were fought, each more devastating than the last. Mankind used its knowledge only for ruthless power- they had not learned the temperance of love. When the goddess awoke from her slumber, she was greatly displeased with her creations' works. In her wrath she released three plagues- the first, a disease that killed a third of man on the earth. The second, one of flame, burning the corruption from Gaia. The third, a flood, to wipe the last of man from the earth. However, she saw that not all was lost- a select few of her creations held onto the spark of compassion that separated them from their fellows, and connected them to their goddess. These she lifted up, filling them with the desire to create, to nurture, to live as their goddess. Thus ended the First Age of Man, and began the Age of Reclamation. (Earth Shaker)

The damage wreaked upon the earth was enormous, even more than Ladríal had imagined. As she worked to restore the earth to its former beauty, her Chosen toiled beside her, for a time. As they reproduced and multiplied, the pure spark inside them became diluted, muddled. Some of their goddess' virtues remained, but they became bogged down by the troubles that have always plagued mankind. When Ladríal's work was done, she saw that she could do little to alleviate these ills. Instead, in her final act of creation on this earth, she created the Children of the Sky, angels, to watch over man. To guide us, to instruct us to be holy, to save us from ourselves. Thus ended the Age of Reclamation, and began the Age of Guidance, or the Age of Angels. (Healer)

In the beginning of the Age, man was peaceful. The spark of our goddess ran strong, and in that time, man lived without fear of the demons of this earth, both the corporeal ones born of the strife at the end of the First Age of Man, and those of the pitfalls of the hearts of men. The angels guided man our first, tentative steps of our new world, and protected us from the evils of the old. However, a Prince of the demons, Xithirius, saw the majesty of the angels and grew jealous of the beautiful creations of the goddess. He gathered an army, a mighty host, and marched on the greatest of the human cities of this age, Derriel. The leader of the angels, Ithuriel, gathered all of the angels of the earth to combat the demon. The angels won, but at a terrible cost. The battle left the angels weak and unable to carry on their duty. Before they left to join their goddess on the heavens, however, they performed two acts; the first to entomb the demons beneath the earth, to safeguard man; the second, to give man a spark of our goddess' eternal glory, so that we may fight the battle they could not carry on. Thus ended the Age of Guidance, and began the Second Age of Man. (Protector)

Even now, as I write this, this Age continues on. In this age, we must strive to uphold the vows we have been given. The mantle of the goddess and of the angels is ours; we must make this age unlike the last Age of Man. We must fulfill our creed to the goddess; we will work toward the goals she left for us on this earth, for the goddess has entrusted them to us. We will ensure her legacy here, for that is what we have left of her. (Guider)

Solus

Region 40, under the control of the Bordeux Concordant
    Population:70,000
    People
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most of the native people of Solus are short compared to Bordeusi; most only come out to 5'6". They typically have black hair and an olive-skinned complexion, though occasionally brown or even red hair is seen. The tribal structure they have used in the past has been consolidated into a special council, with one representative from the five major tribes, as well as the governor and a representative from the Bordeusi city on Leilan Bay.

Resources
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the flatlands of the southern shore, some of the tribes grow olive trees which have, traditionally, been made into olive oil. A more recent development, with the settlement of Bordeusi colonists, has led to a thriving glass industry to arise an the tip of the southern peninsula. However, the plains contain very few trees, so the colony mus import wood to continue growth.

Terrain
    Spoiler
    Show
    Leilan Bay, a large, sheltered harbor on the southern peninsula, was the first major settlement and has led to a large growth in industry there. The Twisted Spires are a set of odd, warped stone pillars in the flatlands. The creation myths of the natives say that they are the twisted fingers of an ancient giant buried beneath the ground. While most settlers dismiss their claims, everyone who looks upon them has an odd sense of foreboding. Watchman's Peak is the lone mountain of Solus. It sits on a position overlooking Leilan Bay, and it earned its name when a group of native attacked the then new-found city; however, guards atop the mountain warned those below, and they repulsed the attack.

Religion
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most of the Bordeusi settlers are traditional animists, mixing well with the indeginous population, which practices a similar style of animism; they worship the spirits of nature, but there are two major, conflicting spirits: the giant Xiuhcoatl, He Who Is Death, and the angel Ihuicatl, The Light Bringer.

Cassia

Region 26, Lord_Burch
    Now Belongs to the Salterri. I will keep this here, to prevent what I wrote from being deleted by accident.

Population: 63,000

Region Details

Spoiler: Terrain
    Show
    Make a description of your region, as well as three landmarks or notable regions. Please be sure to bold the title of these 3 things.

Show
    The Cassians are very similar to their Solusian brethren, with olive-toned skin and darkened hair and eye colors. However, one notable difference is what appears to be similar to a mane around their neck. This mane, made up of short hair running around their neck and tapering off down their spine, silvers with age and is a status symbol among them.

Show
    A tradition lasting from since the natives first lived here, plentiful goats has led to a thriving shepherd population, with rivalries between tribes for the best goat. However, the region contains few minerals of any sort, needing imports of some form of metal.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    The native Cassians follow much the same customs as their Solusian relatives. However, one notable difference is the inclusion of the Angelic Summoning. Every year, a young woman is sacrificed to the Angel. To them, this represents the sacred covenant between themselves and the Angel. The sacrifice binds the giant beneath the earth for another year. While the colonists are trying to stamp out this practice as barbaric and brutal, the Angel's High Priest continues to evade the colonist forces.

Spoiler: Technologies
    Show
    Same as Bordeux.

____
    The Khalifate of Crima
    Region 23
    Lord_Burch

Crima
    Region 23, Lord_Burch
    Population: 90,000
    Terrain: Semi-arid Hills, Coastal Plain
    People: Human, Cree Culture
    Resources: Horses, Grains, Stone
    Imports: Wood
    Religion: Animism, with some respect paid to the Lord of Fire.
    Technologies: No additional technologies.

Show
    Overall, situated next to the sea and not incredibly far above sea level, Crima is on the edge of the temperate-to-tropical band. Thus, while the south is warm and humid, the north is much more arid. Generally the soil is excellent for medium-to-large grasses, but very poor for larger plants such as thick bushes or trees, which means that there is very little natural shade. Outside of the far northern hills, the land itself is very flat, ideal for animals such as horses.

Topologically, Crima is a fairly diverse land, though most of it can be neatly divided into three terrain types: The Hills, the Steppe, and the Coast.

The Hills are thickest to the North, verging on small mountains in some cases, and are rich in minable stone. Further, the low mountains are just about the only place in all of Crima where trees seem to be willing to grow at all, and what little lumber they have is produced here. The northern hills are the region where the population is least concentrated, but produces most of the construction materials.

Stretching across most of the region is steppeland, thick with grasses and lacking most shrubs and trees. Great herds of wild horses roam the land, and make their homes here. Rivers cut across the steppe from the mountains here and there, which provides much of the land's fresh water. There's really not much else to say, other than that many Cree live here.

The Coastal region is very warm and humid, and the silty soil is very fertile. With additional thanks to all of the sunshine, the Crimar Coast is thus more or less perfect for growing crops, and the farmers there are able to produce enough wheat and barley to feed all of Crima and then some.

Ryazen Bay - While the coast of Crima mostly consists of cliffs and waterfalls, there is a small bay that is fully accessible from both land and sea. It was named in honor of High Chieftain Ryazen, who managed to forge an honest nation out of a raider band. A thriving port town has sprung up here, and overseas trade can be easily controlled from here. Or blockaded, should it come to that.

Khater Pass - Far to the north, along the border with Ashenia, lies the mountain pass where the Khater first entered the land of Crima. Given that there are several such passes and blockading them all would be difficult, its strategic value is minimal. Still, it's an important memory of the Cree heritage and the occasional scholar or pilgrim still visits to honor the ancestors.

The Creestone - Another cultural site, the Creestone is a large meteorite that spontaneously struck the ground in an otherwise empty Steppeland. When Ryazen's father first encountered it, and the Khater came to a halt in the steppes, he saw that the Sky had laid seed upon the Earth to form something great, and chose to start building a nation around this treasure. The stone was named for the distinctive 'Creeeeeeeeee' sound it made as it fell, and the people of the land ended up borrowing this too. It currently sits at the center of Cree, the Throne city of the Khalifate.

Show
    The People of Crima, once upon a time, were nomadic raiders known as the Khater. They drifted from land to land, taking what they could to get by, and feeding their horses along the way. Finally, only a few decades ago, they sought the unsettled lands far to the west, and began to build more permanent settlements. The Grand Steppes were perfect for their horses and for their people, so they thrived.

Their previous leader, Grand Chieftain Ryazen, spent her days rebranding the Khater into the Cree, patronizing agriculture and trying to help her people forget their barbaric roots, which has been somewhat successful. She even introduced the Lord of Fire into the previous, purely animistic structure in the hopes of ameliorating the public image of the Khater as godless barbarians, with somewhat mixed results.

The Cree tend toward being of average height and lean but healthy. Most of them are dark-haired, but lighter shades have been known to turn up here and there. Long days under the hot sun with little shade have left them fairly dark-skinned, but exceptions are common. There is an unusually high population of green-eyed people, though most Cree have brown or hazel eyes.

Show
    Crima is mostly steppeland, and is home to great herds of wild horses. The Cree are horsemen almost by their genetics, and learning to ride a horse is, in their culture, as vital a skill as learning to walk. Thus, they have a lot of practice taming horses. And the ones that can't be tamed are at the very least good for leather and meat.

Northern Crima has many hills and low mountains, which are very minable and an excellent source of stone.

Finally, the coastal region is a veritable cornucopia of agricultural wealth, and produces spectacular amounts of bread and other edible vegetables.

Show
    The Crimar religion is, in essence, tribal animism. However, it does have one unique component, thanks to the efforts of High Chieftain Ryazen: The Lord of Fire holds the highest position in the spirit "hierarchy", right next to figures like the Father Sky himself and the mighty Mother Earth. Of course, the Blazing Avatar is considered to be a pathetic demagogue perverting a greater being for their own purposes by the Cree public, which might be problematic down the line.

Show
    Crima is currently at the early Medieval stage, with no additional technologies.
    Last edited by Lord_Burch; 2014-05-03 at 06:32 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

This sounds fun. If region twenty-two is not yet occupied, may I plant my flag there in hopes of future glory?

In the meantime, I shall read the thread to avoid the stepping on of toes.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

12. - Top - End - #72

I made this map. Thought it might be usefull, it contains all the resources and religions so far known to me. If I missed something let me know, I'll try to update it!
    Last edited by Chief; 2014-01-14 at 11:02 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D20ragon View Post
    My friends! Harken to the words of Czar Demetrius VII, Ruler of the Southern Republic of Sidvarsa, and his esteemed daughter, Marquis Darlessa, heir to the crown, and ruler of the northern provinces!
    Ahem. My countrymen, welcome! This year has been a good one to our land of Sidvarsa! Our trade is going nicely, the livestock have prospered, the wheat harvest is well underway, and best of all, our famed navigator Reymond D'clou has returned, bearing evidence that our earth is indeed a globe! Is this not splendid news? [Only you care, father. The people need someone who actually listens to them.] Our republic is the most educated, well respected, and prosperous on this earth! [And yet, with such a vainglorious fool steering it, we are destined to fail.]
    Of course, as many of you already know, I have granted my daughter and only heir Darlessa possession of the northern quarter of our country, for her to rule! And a fine job she has done of it too! Why, in just a year, she has doubled the efficiency of our farmers flour production by, er harnessing the raw power of... Well...

Darlessa stepped forward, brushing her fair hair out of the way.

[What my dear old father means to say, is that I have trapped the wind, and made it do my will.]

She moved to the side, displaying a miniature windmill.

[When the wind turns this wheel, my friends, the grindstone turns as well, with no effort at all on our part, save to lay the grains of wheat beneath stone. And that is not all. Using a intricate system of gears, I have managed to utilize the same design for water! I have already begun construction of a water powered drill which will enable us to mine resources undreamed of!]

Now now dear, let's not get carried away with this all. I'm sure your toys are marvelous, but they pale in comparison to the knowledge that are earth is round! Round! The mind boggles!
    [With all due respect father, I disagree. Your discoveries do not feed bellies. Mine do, and what's more...]

Meaning to say, I will be claiming region 11, for the divided north and south Republics of Sidvarsa, and his majesty Czar Demetrius VII.
    The people of Sidvarsa tend to be rather tall, with tanned skin, and red or blond hair. Most are divided as to religion, or don't care either way, most practicing a form of ancestor worship.
    The land they dwell upon is fertile, with a mountain range running down from the north, and a generally Mediterranean climate.
    Their chief resources stem from the livestock, mostly cattle, and the silk and grain trade. Darlessa wishes to expand this list to include gold, however, and so she toils feverishly over her Water-Drill. However, their true treasure lies in the minds of the Sidvarsans. Forever inventing, calculating and imagining, the nation of Sidvarsa is advancing their technology in leaps and bounds. They are, generally, The Renaissance Men.
    I may get some more parts up, chiefly terrain, and the landmarks, but this should give you an idea.
    BTW, I only plain on controlling one of the rulers, though I'm not sure which. Darlessa probably, but Czar Demetrius is so jolly!

Curiosity: 5
    Diplomacy: 2
    Military: 1
    Luck: 1
    Faith: 1

Quick question. Are we able to increase these scores through actions? Also, can we use our special ability more then once?
    Missed me!
    Last edited by D20ragon; 2014-01-14 at 08:03 AM.
    Washed up Gm in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenChord View Post
    This seems like a level of crazy-talk only you could accomplish.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    ... I've played a few games with D20ragon as GM in the past, and I have to vouch for his skill - he's an excellent writer, his world-building is top-notch ... and his games are, while sometimes too ambitious, some of the most fun to be had on these boards.
    avatar by the marvelous asdflove

14. - Top - End - #74

Hrathan and Tuor: the land of the nine guilds.

Terrain:
    Spoiler
    Show

At the center of region ten is Hrathan, the city of caves. Wracked by frequent dust storms, and possessing no nearby forests or stone quarries, the sutface of the bustling metropolis is dominated by mud brick and cloth hobbles. Beneath the city is a huge network of tunnels and caves that provide shelter from the scorching midday sun and aforementioned dust storms; this is where the vast majority of the populace live, although living conditions vary widely and the cave sectors inhabited by the lower class have been known to collapse on occasion. Fortunately, the hard packed earth, for the most part, holds firm.

North of Hrathan is the brown hills, a arid, rugged region covered in dry riverbeds and ravines. It is also home to the highly venomous spiny basilisk.

South of Hrathan is an unremarkable plains region, good for grain farming but not much else.

Along the coast is Tuor, the other great city of the nine guilds. It is a heavily fortified port, and an important center of trade.

People:
    Spoiler
    Show

The inhabitants of Hrathan are generally pale with dark colored hair, because they spend most of their lives underground. Those that live above the city, in Tuor, and elsewhere in the region are blonde and tan. The extended, intertwined family that includes most of the guild masters has a much larger than normal percentage of red hair, leading the Hrathanesse to view red hair as more attractive and a sign of prosperity.

Resources:
    Spoiler
    Show

Craft goods: five of the nine guilds are craft guilds, and they impose a high standard on their trades. Metalwork, pottery, leather, jewelry, and clothing from Hrathan are almost unfailingly higher quality than equivalents from other lands. Note: this does not include weapons and armor, which fall under the central government's purview and thus do not benefit from the guild system.

Basilisk Venom: Only the guild masters and the assassins guild have access to this deadly resource. It is not for sale. The black market knows better than to get on the wrong side of the assassins guild, so don't look there either.

Assassins: If you REALLY want someone dead and money is no object, hire a guild assassin. The high guildmaster gets a small discount.

Resource dependency: The lands of Hrathan and Tuor are unsuitable for growing vegetables and fruits. Hrathan in particular is at constant risk of scurvy outbreaks if the city fails to import enough fruit.

Stats of Loki Ethmorl:
    Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy 4
    Military 3
    Curiosity 2
    Luck 2
    Faith 1

The Ethmorl line:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Ethmorls are one of the smaller offshoots of the huge extended family that rules most of the nine guilds. They have held the office of High Guildmaster since the third war of succession ended sixty years ago. Loki is the current eldest male of the line, and the first High Guildmaster in three hundred years to also hold the office of Bearer of the Cerulean Scythe (highest judiciary official) He is twenty seven years old and unmarried. He has a younger brother of twenty-three who is commander of the Tuor city guard, and three female cousins ages 9, 11, and 14.

Religion:
    Spoiler
    Show

For untold centuries the people of Hrathan and Tuor worshiped the moon and stars, who they believed were benevolent but enigmatic protectors. The sun was regarded as evil, because it withered crops, burned skin, and blinded those who dared to look upon it's face. Within the past fifty years the Temple of Fire has been rapidly spreading it's influence, and The Lord of Fire has found many willing converts. However, staunch keepers on the old beliefs were quick to realize the similarities between the Blazing Avatar and the sun, and equated the Temple of Fire to devil worship. Many religious riots had to be put done, and at the current time tensions are high but there is no violence... Yet. The Loki Ethmorl keeps the old beliefs, but has a policy of toleration. His brother is less forgiving, and has openly stated that if he was high guildmaster he would make "That sun-worshiping ****" illegal.
    Last edited by ImperatorV; 2014-01-16 at 07:24 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Updated the resource map to include regions 10,11 and 15

16. - Top - End - #76

Added the dependent resource to my post.

17. - Top - End - #77

Uploaded a Map of the Layout of Kasumor:

P.S. Caution, large picture

Spoiler: Map of Kasumor
    Show

A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Btw ImperatorV, I was actually thinking of implementing something related to assassins and the like later on. You can still have them as a resource to start with, if you wish, but I thought I should tell you rather than have it be a possibly unpleasant surprise, as it may limit the success of your use of them later on. You can still switch them out for a different resource.

You also don't seem to have a religion yet. Will you be going with the Temple of Fire or some form of paganism?

Also, I updated the third post to include information on all the current rulers and their family trees. Be sure to state the age and gender of the ones you have and their children, as death of old age is a realistic possibility. If you haven't stated the age by the time we begin I'll assume it's 18 unless your character has children.

Furthermore, the standard succession laws are that the oldest child becomes the next ruler. You can change succession laws at start (like "oldest daughter inherits", "youngest child inherits" or "election from among children") or through actions in the game. This may seem to have little effect, as attributes are determined only when a child takes over rule from their parent, but sometimes you may get a random event telling you something like "your son Olegei seems to be very zealous, but not very bright", giving you an idea of what additional stat bonuses/penalties they may get. If you don't want to go into a religious direction, but a scientific one, you might not want Olegei to take over. Alternatively, you may really like that, but discover later that Olegei has taken up a different religion (which is entirely possible for characters you don't control, even your children, which includes your heir).

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    This sounds fun. If region twenty-two is not yet occupied, may I plant my flag there in hopes of future glory?

In the meantime, I shall read the thread to avoid the stepping on of toes.
    Welcome aboard!

By the way, Chief, that map is awesome. I love player initiative of that sort, just like with Logic's heraldry.

WaylanderX's map-making is also very fine.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-14 at 09:46 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Well the idea is that the guild assassins are "better" than regular ones, so when assassins are eventually implemented the resource makes them more effective than normal (also I was thinking of allowing other kingdoms to hire them out, not sure how that would work).

Religion I'll get to eventually, basically there is conflict between the ancient practices and and the Temple of Fire (the low religion score represents the disunity and high tensions).

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have a break in exams, so more things.
    The last important landmark is the temple of the flame, a huge temple to fire that took nearly a century to complete. It is one the most common pilgramage sites, and know as the place where an army of heathens was defeated. This happend in the "distant past" and is likely exaggerated, but pilgrims still flock here to worship and await holy benediction.
    Family: Herzog has one son, Rogar, and a daughter, bertra. Rogar is only eleven, and famous for his learning about the myths of The Lord of Fire. Bertra is only five.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

By the way, I noticed that the second post is already nearing 40,000 characters, while the limit is 50,000. Could those people who have already finished their fluff organize it neatly similarly, with sections for Terrain, People, Resources and Religion? That way I can just link to those posts instead and keep the character count low and still keep it organized.

Feel free to copy it from the second post if necessary.

For those who aren't done yet (either not entirely, or those who have yet to begin), please do the same.

In the second post I'll then simply list the three main terrain features' names, the three resources (and the one major import), and the current culture/people and religion in the region, as well as what technologies beyond the basis are available there.

Feel free to include any additional things in your info post outside of those four sections, like cities, history, maps, heraldry, and such. They're optional, not necessary.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-14 at 10:49 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Kasumor
    Region 4, WaylanderX

Original Rolls:Here.

Year: 365
    Name: Nyllana Earthguard
    Title: Eienguard of Kasumor
    Curiosity 4
    Diplomacy 5
    Military 5
    Luck 2
    Faith 2

Family Tree

Show
    Kasumor is an ancient and mysterious place. It's lands, which was special even at the beginning of times, were made even stranger by its people by techniques long forgotten. Experimental plants and animals can be found all across Kasumor, but behave like normal animals for the most part. On the contrary, they are a normal part of the life cycles and ecosystems there, fulfilling roles just like any other ecosystem. Underground, although not as strange, houses some of the weirdest minerals and substances ever seen, just as Shintouite, also known as Impact-rock, which increases in strenght and durability the more stresses are applied to it. This is the main reason why most of the Kasumorian fortresses are still standing today unbreached, their walls have become so solid over the years that they are virtually impenetrable.

• Kasumi Plains: These wide plains of grass are home to a very strange species of flower, which resembles a dandelion, but instead with white leaves and round instead of elongated seeds. The featherlike structure which it used to spread the seeds more resemble clouds then vibres. When these spores are in the air, when inhaled, they put the inhaler to sleep for exactly 48 hours after exposure. Nobody has found out why. However, it is evident that the inhaling process is needed for the seeds to germinate after they have been exhaled and enduced their sleep. The plains in its enterity, which comprise about 25% of the south-west of the country, consist of rolling hills covered with grasses with here and there a group of adepted wildlife that became resistant to the seedlings of this plant, such as highlands or wild horses. Note that these groups only live around the edges of the terrain and because of the inability to produce sufficient effective seed-blockers, nobody knows what lies in the hart of the land.
    • Shintouite Mountain Range/Mines: In the northern regions of the country, resembling a normal mountain range, the stone mined from here is far from ordinary. This particular stone hardens when more pressure is applied to it, provided the stone is strong enough to withstand the initial impact. The stone starts out soft (around chalk hardness), but by slowly ramping up the pressure exposure, it can become almost infinitely hard and durable. This also means that how older a structure is, the more solid it becomes and as such also more resistant to wear and tear, including winds and water damage. Most Kasumor “ruins” are still in pristine condition. The mountains themselves are weathered at the top, but still very steep and high when compared to mountain ranges of the same age, due to the strengthening effect.
    • Verandil Forest: A weird place, this forest looks normal on the outside but is home to a large variety of wildlife not seen anywhere else. Nobody has made a good list of the species present, but they include huge size vermin, plant-animal hybrids and even human-plant hybrids. The forest itself resembles a European temperate forest and is located in the centre of the country. From here, they access to several species of huge vermin (which are more intelligent then their small kind due to the experiments of old), of which the huge mantis and huge stag-beetle have been the most wanted. The mantids are used as mounts, while the stag-beetles are more used as walking battering rams.

Show

Because of their martial upbringing, most Kasumorians are also quite muscular. The women of Kasumor however, are revered and known far and wide for their beauty and grace, which can turn into deadly grace when confronted with an enemy (Kasumorian women are kind off a hard catch).
    Despite this reliance on the martial side of life, there are also a fair amount of scientist-priests arround. When a warrior grows old, they tend to take up the task of combining science with faith, creating all kind of fabulous and ingenious contraptions, mostly based around heat and fire.

As denizens of a country that takes great pride in it's martial prowess, lore and diplomacy, the inhabitants of Kasumor are a rough, disciplined yet strangely cheerfull people. They are led by the Shďnguard, a leader who serves as a king aswell as a marshal in battle. Beneath him are the three Arches, which serve as generals under the Marshal. These three generals are themed after the remaining three elements and have a corresponding flag.

They excell at fortifying themselves in a place to wear out the enemy with the help of their Shintouite defensive machinery. If that is not an option, they are also very skilled with a weapon. When pressed for combat, they tend to dissuate the enemy into dueling, to minimize the bloodshed.
    Sometimes, they also fight mounted on huge praying mantids, slashing with their sword in perfect cadence with the claws of the mantids. This is not common, as having a praying mantis as a mount is a sign of great prowess in battle and is only awarded to the greatest fighters of the land. However, the royal guard consists of 444 men and a praying mantis for each, making them feared in battle.

The population is concentrated in the capital, Earthome, where the Earthguard also resides. Earthome is located in the middle of the country (in the broad righter area), around 30 miles from where the Kasumi plains begin, which also makes it a magnet for any alchemists and weapon experts trying to weaponize the strange sleep inducing flower.

Also, there are 4 large fortresses at the borders: Earth, Wind, Fire and Waterguard. Earthguard and Fireguard are situated along the western border, while Windguard and Waterguard are situated along the southern border. They are all around 300 years old, making the Shintouite from which they are made very sturdy and virtually immune to conventional siege weaponry, but not yet totally unbreakable. However, due to a low population, only fortress Earthguard and Waterguard are manned in the current day.

In the way of village structure, they all have a Shushan, which is a sort of elderly figure, wise and experienced, who leads the village and handles local infrastructure and military matters. This Shushan is chosen by the village people themselves and is then appointed for 7 years.

Show
    Kasumor's resources:
    • Huge Vermin in the forest, together with game and berries.
    • Iron ore and Shintouite from the mountains. Explanation about Shintouite:This particular stone hardens when more pressure is applied to it, provided the stone is strong enough to withstand the initial impact. The stone starts out soft (around chalk hardness), but by slowly ramping up the pressure exposure, it can become almost infinitely hard and durable. This also means that how older a structure is, the more solid it becomes and as such also more resistant to wear and tear, including winds and water damage. Most Kasumor “ruins” are still in pristine condition. The mountains themselves are weathered at the top, but still very steep and high when compared to mountain ranges of the same age, due to the strengthening effect.
    • Alchemical compounds from the Kasumi plains. This includes Sleepflower Pollen (Sleep inducing pollen, see Kasumi plains), Burnflower Extract (Parts of the leaf that leaves nettlelike burns, but lasts for a couple of days) and Glitterflower Petals (Glittering dust made from dried petals which reflect light inside the cloud, blinding somebody in the cloud when used during the day or in places with alot of light).
    • However, Grains and Lifestock are rarely found within Kasumor itself. There is some being grown on the plains, but not enough to sustain the population. This is not much due to their military nature. The mostly rely on trade with surrounding countries for their food.

Show

They are a fairly religious people, who worship the Lord of Fire as a god of Renewal and the keeper of the cycle of live. However, they also strive for martial prowess and technological advance and they believe that faith and technology go hand in hand when combined directly. By some it is even believed that they can be used to strengthen eachother.

In 341, a new religion was founded by Shďnguard Marius Earthguard. This religion focuses on scientific progress together with a great respect for life and life energy. The diety the Kasumori worship is Ashtar. Details below.

Faith name: Ashtarism
    Diety name: Ashtar, the Lord of Progress and Life
    Other Names: Guardian of Prowess, Keeper of Skill, Protector of Kasumor.
    Portefolio (Major): Life, Progress, Prowess.
    Portefolio (Minor): Fire, Earth, Metal

Ashtar is the god of Life, Progress and Prowess. In the Kasumori tongue, he is the one who guards the holy trinity of Inochi, Hakobi and Gouyuu. He keeps his aspects at his side, being called the Ones who Guard. At his one hand, the One who guards Fire, the guardian of the spark of life. At his other, the One who guards the Earth, the guardian that allows progress. Ashtar himself guards the means to use the other two, Prowess.

Ashtar values skill over all else and it is believed that if you have the skills, the means to use those skills to the fullest will eventually present itself, being seen as a visit from reflections of the Ones who Guard. This includes martial prowess, academic prowess and craftmanship.

In effect, the Lord of Fire is seen as the One who guards Fire, so the Lord of Fire is still present in this religion in a way.

Show
    Kasumor is currently at the early Medieval stage, with one additional technology: Giant Vermin Taming.

Spoiler: Race
    Show

The people of Kasumor mostly have a tall build, both the men and women. They mostly measure around 1 meter 90 in the case of men and 1 meter 80 in the case of women. They are not very tanned due to living near the mountains and tend to have big eyes in comparison to their more southern counterparts. This is one of the reasons the women are considered one of the more beautiful women in the world.

Also, a strong influence of Fey blood courses through the entire race, coming from a race called the Cloudiz. This race consisted of humanlike fey, with a human torso, wings of a dragonfly and the tail of a fish, abeit a long and elegant tail. This bloodline is most prominent in the royal bloodline of the Earthguards, whose name is derived from the fact that these fey were seen as the guardians of the land. Also, this is most likely the cause of the almost supernatural beauty of the women in this country. Finally, most strangly, the supernatural aspects of their fey heritage manifest mostly (but not exclusively) in females, causing them to have gills, dragonfly wings, fishtales and in extreme cases all of the before mentioned, somehow producing a fullblooded Cloudiz. It is also said that these half or full-bloods, either male or female, have a great affinity for magic, but the scholars of Kasumor have yet to figure out how to harnass this potential. When born with Cloudiz charactaristics, they are greatly revered by the populace and often sit high in the hierarchy. Their Cloudiz blood is also the cause that the people of Kasumor live 50% longer than normal humans. Their maximum age lies somewhere around 150, with 120-130 being the average.

The Cloudiz are great swimmers and flyers, but can't move on land to well. When needed to move on land, for example for diplomatic reasons (Looking somebody in the eye while walking through the palace gardens is better then flying around at random), they do so in a snake/lamia like fashion, using s-shaped motions to move forward. Before the Calamity, they inhabited Verandil Forest in the numerous giant trees and streams found in the area. They were known for being mystics, able to predict the future and see far away events by peering into pools of water. However, after the Calamity, this knowledge has been lost, although scholars are on the verge of a breakthrough, or so they claim. Also, because of their kindness and peerless beauty, expecially of the female Cloudiz, alot of Kasumi men ventured into the forest to try and find the love of their life. Surprisingly, around 50% of the time, the man in question walked out of the forest a couple of months later with his Cloudiz betrothed by his side. Because of the relatively high percentage of Cloudiz-human marriages in that age, Cloudiz-blood is quite prevalent in Kasumor. What is even weirder, once in a while, two parents who have Cloudiz blood in their bloodline give birth to a fullblood Cloudiz, with all the features and abilities of his/her fey ancestors. What process drives this is currently not known. The more Cloudiz blood present in the individual, the longer they live. Average maximum lifespans are like this: Zero Cloudiz Features, 150 years. One Cloudiz Feature, 200 years. Two Cloudiz Features, 250 years. Three Cloudiz Features, 300 years. It is know that full blooded Cloudiz lived on average for 400 to 450 years.

The Cloudiz race as a whole have been missing since a few generations ago (around 350 years), after stopping a huge magical Calamity in the Shintuite mountains. They stopped the rampant magic, but at the cost of the life of most of their kind. Furthermore, the residual magic settled down in the mountains, infusing with the rock there to form Shintuite, which is used all over Kasumor for its defensive properties.

Stylized depiction of a Cloudiz
    Image by ald3n

Spoiler: Major Settlements
    Show

Earthhome (Population 6000)

As the traditional seat of the Shďnguard and the city that lies the most central of all major settlements in the country, Earthhome is a blooming city for trade, militairy training and religious purposes, as well as being the place where the Shďnguard keeps him watch on the country to ensure the happiness and safety of his people. It is divided into an Inner City, which hold the Kyuden, which is the palace/keep in which the Shďnguard resides, the Library of the Ancients, a library which even holds some documents written by the Cloudiz people when they were still prominent as a race. For the rest, it hosts a big tower with a platform on top, which is used to facilitate transport with the help of the giant insects Kasumor is known for. The houses here are organised nearly into a circle-ray pattern.
    On the outer side, there is the Outer City, which is a disorganised mess of streets. This is to throw off any enemy advance who wants to take the Outer city. Because of this, signs stand around in most areas showing the directions to most major commodoties in the city. These are removed as soon as the city is under attack. Most smithies are located in this area, as well as most stables and craftmen, making this the primary area for trade. The outside of each area is surrounded by a big wall of around 20 meters high, made out of blocks of solid rock (not shintouite).

Shintine (Population 1000)

A quiet mining town, north of Earthhome. Life here is quiet and peacefull, with the citizens of the town making a living of mining blocks of shďntouite of varying sizes. Once in a while, traders from Earthhome come to buy or trade the shintouite they mined for a reasonable price, while also bringing entertainment and luxury goods with them for the villagers. The people here are also excellent guides for passing the Shintouite mountains for anyone who isn't willing to take the long route to Keldagrim.

Kasumin (Population 2000)

This village is the only centre of crop growing in whole of Kasumor. They primarily produce grains and cattle for themselves and the citizens of Earthhome, but do not have enough productivity to supply the entire country with it. Also, because Kasumin lies very close to the Kasumi Plains, they use the sleep inducing pollen in combination with blow-darts to ward off threats to their cattle. Once every half year, on the Day of Mystery in the Pyrith of Mystery, they organize the greatest one-day festival in the whole of Kasumor, known as the Sakaru Mitsura. Hundreds if not thousands of Kasumorians come to join the festivities and have a good old fashioned good time. Sometimes, even the Shďnguard joins in under a disguise to get rid of all the burdens of leading the nation for a while. Marius Earthguard, for example, tends to attend the festivities in disguise once per year and drinks, laughts and gets drunk like any other commoner would, much to the chagrin of his wife, Helena.

Vrevral (Population 1000)

This ancient town was once the primary meetingground for the Kasumori and the Cloudiz. Being situated in the middle of Verandil Forest, it was easy for the Cloudiz to visit this town. Furthermore, this town is the origin of the taming methods Kasumori use to domesticate their giant vermin. The proportion of people with Cloudiz features is higher here than anywhere else, bar the royal family. The inhabitants of Vrevral make their livings either by vermin taming or by guiding people through the forests on expeditions for new species of vermin. Because of the high number of Cloudiz-blooded people, Vravral is also a popular destination for Kasumori men that are searching for the love of their life or are just looking for sexual pleasure (They are still demi-humans after all).

Farreach Outpost (Population 2000)

A fortress town, Farreach Outpost (Also called just Farreach) is a remnant of a horrible civil war that raged through Kasumor around four centuries ago. Back then, Farreach was the refuge of the Shďnguard that ruled back then and was the holdfast and turningpoint he needed to replenish his forces and take control of the country once again, after the followers of the Simple God invaded Earthhome and the Shďnguard was forced to flee. It's fortress is composed of solid granite, with the town being formed around it after the civil war was resolved. In times of danger the whole town can take shelter in the fortress, although the food supplies in such a situation would not last very long. It is not as well defended as the Shintouite fortresses, nevertheless it is considered to be a very tough nut to crack and it would not be wise to underestimate this ancient fortress. Traditionally, Farreach is also under direct supervision of the Shogun, the second in command of the army after the Shďnguard.

Earthguard, Waterguard, Fireguard and Windguard (Population 1000-2000 each when militarised))

These fortresses along the Kasumor border are made of shintouite with a technology that was lost around 200 years ago, making them are between 200 and 300 years old, making them relatively new. They were build after the Calamity to deter any country who were thinking Kasumor to be an easy target during the time Kasumor was still recuperating. The fortress themselves have been largely abandoned nowadays, although they did not fall into ruin, a courtesy of the supernatural properties of shintouite. They consist of a thick outer wall with rough, sturdy buildings within, all build out of shintouite. In time of need, each of the four fortresses can hold up to 2000 people soldiers, together with enough "stables" to house 1000 pieces of vermin cavalary. These are housed inside big chambers under the fortresses themselves. In addition to shintouite walls and buildings, all underground chambers and all floors are made of shintouite, making them virtually impossible to undermine.

Spoiler: Map of Kasumor
    Show

Map

Spoiler: Kasumori Calendar System
    Show

Every year is divided in two Cycles of the sun. Each cycle of the sun in turn consists of seven Pyriths:

1: Kindness
    2: Prowess
    3: Pride
    4: Steadfast
    5: Honesty
    6: Vengeance
    7: Mystery

Each Pyrith consists in turn of 26 days, divided in two Shou of 13 days each.
    These also all have names:

1: Day of the Sword
    2: Day of the Spear
    3: Day of the Hammer
    4: Day of the Shield
    5: Day of the Wall
    6: Day of the Fortress
    7: Day of the Mantis
    8: Day of the Beetle
    9: Day of the River
    10: Day of the Cloudiz
    11: Day of Beauty
    12: Day of the Earthguard
    13: Day of Mystery

After the Day of Mystery in the Pyrith of Mystery in the Second cycle of the sun is an extra day to appease the Lord of Flame and to remember the sacrifice the Cloudiz made during the Calamity.

Spoiler: Family tree
    Show

Link to Family tree site

Gender, age and Cloudiz features of the respective family members:

Shďnguard Marius Earthguard: male, Birthyear: 300, None

Helena Softclaw: female, Birthyear: 301, Wings + Gills

Nyllana Earthguard: female, Birthyear: 319, Wings + Tail + Gills (Fullblood Cloudiz)

Ryella Earthguard: female, Birthyear: 320, Wings

Riphal Earthguard: male, Birthyear: 335, Wings

Leona Flamestrike: Female, Birthyear: 318, Wings + Gills

Marevain Earthguard: male, Birthyear: 260, deceased, none †

Ilia Wavecrash: female, Birthyear: 265, wings

Jarod Moonshatter: male, Birthyear: 270, Gills

Waylina Softclaw: female, Birthyear: 272, Wings + Tail

Spoiler: Hall of Heraldry
    Show

Heraldry of Shďnguard Marius Earthguard

Spoiler: Marius' Introduction (Year 330)
    Show

Introduction (Year 330)
    I am Marius Earthguard. Age, 30! Occupation, Shďnguard of Kasumor! Marital status, Married with Helena Softclaw, Age 29! Got two daughers, Nylanna and Ryella, my little Cloudiz angels. I'm the leader of Kasumor.

Yeah, I too have no idea what that random line of text at the bottom does.
    But back to business, I hope me and my people can get along just fine with yours. Be careful though with the women of my country..... They kinda pack a punch or more specifically, a kick. "Rubbs a painfull looking foot-shaped red mark on his cheek."

Important developments during the years 331-345 of the First Age of the Kasumori Calender
    Spoiler: 331-335
    Show

Year 331 First foundation of the religion of Ashmar are made, further research follows in the years to come.
    Year 332 Giant Insect taming process completed, now ready for both militairy and civilian use.
    Year 334 Foundation of the Treaty of Wind and Stone.

Spoiler: 336-340
    Show

Year 336 Grand Conference at the Grand Ball results in the formation of the Grand Coalition. Grand Ball also resulted in the betrothal of Nyllana to Iconeh of Gunung and Ryella to Royce of Lyradis.
    Year 337 A new species of "animal" has been found deep within the Kasumi plains: plant based sheep, now called hitsuji.
    Year 338

Spoiler: 341-345
    Show

W.I.P.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2014-03-10 at 12:51 PM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

The Kingdom of Ashenia
    Region Twenty-two, Elemental

__

Rolls located here.

Hazael Toranath II, King of Ashenia, Prince of Eseda, Castellan of Adrakand.

Spoiler: Immediate Relations
    Show
    Leader: Hazael Toranath II, King of Ashenia, Prince of Eseda, Castellan of Adrakand. (53)
    Wife: Salline Refren, Queen Consort of Ashenia (55)
    Sons: Hazael (31), Korath (26)
    Daughters: Idrisa (30), Salline (28), Mira (23), Zhela (19), Kateline (19)

Current Stats:
    Diplomacy: 6
    Military: 4
    Curiosity: 9

Population: 34000

Spoiler: Original Stats
    Show
    Original Stats:
    Diplomacy: 4
    Military: 3
    Curiosity: 5

Family tree.

Spoiler: Leader
    Show
    Hazael Toranath was the only heir of the previous monarch of Ashenia, Queen Idrisa the Mad. He ascended the throne three years ago on the occasion of his mother's death and after holding the regency for twenty years. His wife is named Salline, and together they have seven children; Hazael, Idrisa, Salline, Korath, Mira, Zhela and Kateline.
    In appearance, Hazael Toranath is unremarkable. He stands at 187 centimetres in height, has grey eyes and his long black hair is usually tied back into a simply ponytail or, in the case of the most formal events, into a series of elaborate braids. Court dress for the King is traditionally a plain white robe, saffron stole and the sapphire and diamond studded royal crown. Different occasions of varying formality and purpose call for different attire.
    In terms of personality, Hazael is a learned and reserved king, prone to acts of charity. He is open to new ideas and his hobbies include falconry, collecting books and songbirds. Those who get to know him find that behind his royal façade he is in fact a very easy going monarch.

Region Details

Show
    Ashenia is divided into three main geographical regions, the Ashene Mountains, Adralath and Eseda.

The Ashene Mountains lie along the north west border of Ashenia. Barely foothills by some people's reckoning, the Ashene Range is still a substantial row of granite mountains cut by steep valleys that easily become isolated during Winter. Despite this, the valleys are fertile and are prime land for pasture. In addition, the forests that grow in the valleys supply abundant timber. The many streams that flow from the mountains eventually join to form a number of rivers, the greatest of which is the River Adra which eventually winds away through Adralath and onwards towards the ocean.
    Nestled among the cliffs and mountain passes are numerous small monastic communities that take advantage of the isolation provided by their remoteness to continue their meditations uninterrupted. Nearer to the valley floors, but still above the spring floods (most years), are dozens of small villages and towns whose herds of cattle provide much milk and cheese, the sale of which supplements the otherwise small income they would gain from their crops. The most important settlement in this region is the fortress-city of Sandrul located in the shade of Mount Gambron. It is here where people from the lowlands and highlands meet to exchange goods, and thus where the region's tax collectors tend to congregate.

Adralath is a hilly and lightly timbered region below the Ashene Mountains. The River Adra, as well as lesser rivers, flow through this region, carving wide valleys as they do so. Flooding is a yearly issue, and as such, flood mitigation requires significant royal attention. On the hills however, vast open plains punctuated by small to medium forests dominant the landscape. Here, vast herds of wild horses roam and royalty hunt wolves with golden eagles.
    Despite land here being plentiful, much of it is lacking in the qualities required for large scale agriculture. Nevertheless, the valleys surrounding the rivers are flooded regularly and are thus highly fertile. Here, the kingdom's farmers grow grain and other crops to feed Ashenia's citizens. In addition, they keep orchards and vines on higher ground to provide colour to the diet of the common people. This region is much more heavily populated than the Ashene Mountains, and is home to many more cities and towns. The cities of greatest importance are Severikand, known for its woven rugs, Uranin, a fortress city to protect the easternmost territories, Salema, known for its great grain exchange, and the royal capital of Adrakand on the north bank of the River Adra, naturally known for its architectural splendour, wealth and the government residing there.

The small region of Eseda, occupying the southernmost portion of Ashenia, was once an independent state. It is a very rugged region covered for the most part in thick deciduous forests. The population here is very low and the agricultural output is insubstantial in comparison to the rest of the Kingdom, however, the very same ruggedness that renders it less viable farmland exposes large quantities of silver ore. As such, the landscape is dotted with mines.
    In Eseda, there is only one city of note, that of Desana, the old capital. Desana is a city noted for its silversmiths and ancient monasteries, however the rest of the people live in small villages, either devoting their labour to mining, woodcutting or eking out whatever living they can from the soil.

Show
    The people of Ashenia (Known as Ashenites, or if you're being very old fashioned or poetic, the Ashene), are taller than the average human, with the average height for men being 185 centimetres and that for women being 172 centimetres. Their hair is usually black, though varying shades of dark brown show up from time to time, particularly in Eseda. In contrast, their eyes tend to be either grey or blue and their skin pale, though it darkens slightly with exposure to the sun.

In terms of attire, the farmers, miners and other people who live and work in the country tend toward simple clothing made from affordable fabrics that is usually undyed and wide brimmed hats to prevent sunburn. In the Winter, they wear brightly coloured scarves in addition to thick coats.
    Townsfolk usually prefer loose-fitting, long-sleeved garments, often accented by sashes. Most cannot afford fine fabrics or bright colours, so stick to brown in their everyday wear, saving what colours they can afford for festivals, white for formal occasions and black for mourning. The richer townsfolk prefer not only rich patterns and imported dyes, but elaborate embroidered sashes and fine jewellery as well. Most of the year, their colours are relatively subdued however, but they like to go all out for festivals and informal celebrations. Like their less wealthy neighbours, they too reserve white for formal occasions and black for mourning, though a recent trend has resulted in deep purple sometimes being substituted. In the winter, furs are used to trim large coats that are usually dyed blue for rich and poor alike.
    Monks prefer simple garments coloured brown or white. However, they make the occasional concession to vanity in the form of the same coloured scarves employed by the country folk.
    However, certain colours are reserved for the nobility alone. The wearing of royal purple, saffron, and scarlet fabric is forbidden to the common people, with saffron likewise excluded from even the nobility. Originally, this was due to the expense of the dyes that produced these colours, but now remains as a tradition.

Show
    Each of the subdivisions of Ashenia are noted for producing one product in sufficient quantity not only to provide for Ashenia, but for exporting to other nations as well.
    The farmers of the Ashene Mountains produce large amounts of high quality cheese, butter and other dairy products from the milk their cows produce. Using wax from their hives they are able to ensure that the cheese that reaches distant markets won't be dangerously mouldy.
    Skilled breeders in Adralath produces horses of high quality through careful mixing of wild and domesticated stock. The results of their trade number too greatly for the Ashenites to use exclusively, and as such, many are exported to foreign lands.
    The silver mines of Eseda are rich and deep, with no end in sight of the gleaming metal's blackened ores. Not only is there enough to provide for the coinage and jewellery needs of all of Ashenia, there's enough for international deals.

Despite these riches, Ashenia is lacking in iron, and unfortunately, bronze just doesn't make the grade in these times. Maybe they'll be able to conquerfind some iron mines in the future, but in the meantime, they're willing to trade for it.

Show
    The Ashenites follow an animistic faith with a strong emphasis on seeking wisdom to better understand the ways of the spirits. As such, many have withdrawn from their society to a number of monasteries in the hopes that seclusion with a minimum of distractions will aid their search.

Show
    Fusion reactors and paperclips.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2014-02-17 at 01:03 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd like to claim Region 24.

In-progress.

Meraska

Region Twenty-Four

Leader Statistics
    Leader: Esila Arsarnukay
    Diplomacy: 1
    Military: 1
    Curiosity: 2
    Faith: 5
    Luck: 3

Rolls

Show

The climate is generally tropical, being more strongly pronounced in the west, away from the moderating effects of the ocean and the hills. The east coast of Meraska is varied and indented, creating a number of natural harbors. The largest is Zelin Bay, an almost perfectly round intrusion of the sea onto the land, formed from a massive and ancient crater, and home to a large amount of coral. It is unsurprisingly the location of many of the region's larger cities.
    Moving inland, one finds ragged highlands of hills and cliffs, mainly given over to small terraced farms, vineyards, and orchards. The western edge of the region is covered in rainforest, including the winding Andrianine River that runs down from the center of the region to the Western Sea. The river and its tributaries are the only areas of the forests that have been fully explored. In the north, as the region branches out around the Western Sea, a single formerly volcanic peak, Ehlin Mountain, stands in the middle of the plains. The highest point in the region and surrounding countryside, though dwarfed by the far-off mountains in the west, a grand temple has recently been built on the mountain, and many Meraskans make a pilgrimage to climb the peak.

Show

People in Meraska are somewhat small, brown-skinned, with hair in varying shades of green and blue, and brightly colored eyes (red, orange, gold). Bluer hair is more prestigious and attractive, as it's thought to show closeness of relation to the mythical First People of the region. Clothing is usually loose and plain-colored, with decoration being in the jewelry that both men and women wear in large amounts. Tattoos are widespread among sailors, fishers, shipwrights, and others who work closely with the Ocean.

Show

Gold: In the western highlands mines produce rich supplies of the precious metal.
    Fish: Fish caught along the coasts and rivers are a staple food, and plentiful enough to trade with other lands.
    Wine: While most agricultural products are used locally, the wines made in the north and east are an important trade good.
    Import: Wood (and to a lesser extent other construction materials) is the primary import, used for both ships and buildings.

Show

The nation mainly follows a religion honoring the spirits. Chief among these are the spirits of the celestial bodies: the sun, moon, planets and stars. Since the reign of the most recent (and highly religious) sovereign began, Meraska has been moving towards a more organized form of worship.

The Lord of Fire is a distant, outsider god, but has some adherents, mainly in the northeast.

Spoiler: Technology
    Show

Meraska is currently at the early Medieval stage, with no additional technologies.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2014-01-21 at 04:12 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you, Waylander and Elemental. This will make keeping track of things easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    I'd like to claim Region 24.

Rolls for stats and kingdom details later.
    And with that, we've got two regions left! (Now watch as a third person joins.)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there any chance of getting a reroll? I mean, I know some element of randomness is intentional, but... As it is, I'm below pretty much every other nation.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

I won't be allowing rerolls, because then it's too easy to start handing them out more. However, if you have low attribute scores, you have a higher chance of increasing them through the course of play (this was done so that those ending up with low scores by chance wouldn't be entirely disadvantaged against those who got lucky ). You can also still take that extra point and put it elsewhere, to end up with 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, and try and improve that 3.

Only one score can be improved each round, and if you are specifically doing things to improve a certain attribute, you could have one of your actions be "study books on the subject of military tactics" for Military, for example. (Otherwise a different score might be increased instead, as actions could easily be related to more than one attribute.) If you have a 1 in an attribute, you're nearly 100% certain of getting an increase. If you have a 4, that chance might only be a fifth or so of that.

Alternatively, you could start off with a ruler suicide and have your heir immediately take over, which would effectively be a reroll. The disadvantages to that are that you have to roll stats in order and start out with a situation in which any siblings you have might vie for control of the country with you, and there might be morale effects to a king killing himself, unless the culture approves of that in certain cirumstances.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-14 at 11:42 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Rolled!

Got a 6, 4, 4, 2, 2. Now to figure out what to add 1 to, and then go from there...

Hopefully will have my stats up today.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Rolled!

Got a 6, 4, 4, 2, 2. Now to figure out what to add 1 to, and then go from there...

Hopefully will have my stats up today.
    Erm, okay, this is the ONE kind of instance in which re-rolling is prettymuch the only way to go. Wombat, you need to roll five times d4 instead of d6.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-14 at 11:45 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Erm, okay, this is the ONE kind of instance in which re-rolling is prettymuch the only way to go. Wombat, you need to roll five times d4 instead of d6.
    OH! My bad. Darn.

Here we go! Try two!

About the same, actually -

4, 2, 2, 2, 1

I could always put my 1 in 1, and then have one 4, and the rest 2's. Hrmmmm...
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)