New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Train!

WORLD OF TANKS
    Thread II: The Threadening

World of Tanks is a multiplayer online game developed by Wargaming.net featuring mid-20th century era fighting vehicles. It is built upon a freemium business model where participants only have to pay for optional features. The focus is on player vs. player gameplay with each player controlling a tank or armored vehicle.

Old Thread

With the original WoT thread nearing maximum capacity, the time has come to make a new one. Just for giggles, the thread title is still up for debate!
    Last edited by psilontech; 2012-05-30 at 07:00 PM.
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

Nonono. This won't do at all. Let's do a proper opening post since this thread seems to have enough traffic to warrant it. Something with a big capitals "World of Tanks", maybe a quick description and download link, mayhap a player list and maybe something fun If you want, I could draft it up for you.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: World of Tanks II: Fighting, Bragging, Raging Edition - All aboard the Lemming Tr

That any better?
    I assume the picture loads for everyone else, as well.
    Last edited by psilontech; 2012-05-30 at 07:14 PM.

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Yep, it loads well for me.

In celebration of the new thread, have a screenshot:

5. - Top - End - #5

Works fine. Excellent. Unrelated, I just found out that T-34/85 vs. Type 59 ends up in T-34/85 victory. Somehow. Engine fire and turret bounces had something to do with it but it was still probably the best tank vs. tank fight I've ever fought.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I introduced a friend to it, and he was like "OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST GAME I'VE EVER SEEN"

And I don't even have any big tanks to show off either.

My record is 4 kills in a single match. I think I'm average at the game now? At least I don't suck!
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

That illustrates the "Lemmings" part of the thread title PERFECTLY.

For the "bragging" bit, I had an 8-kill game in my T49 TD last night. Ensk in a Tier-5 max battle where I ran down the open field, got a T82 and D2 there, then got behind their lines and just smashed things. One of those games where you feel invincible! Another Ace badge in my stable.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I finally managed to kill an IS 8 in my M103.

Laugh not, those things have been the bane of my existance since the patch with absurdities like bouncing off their side hulls while they penetrate my frontal armour, having consistantly 0 damage shots even when I penetrate, and similar world of tanks nonsense.

That same battle, I proceeded to get 5 total kills (An AMX120, a KV1, an AMX 12 90, and an M12 arty piece as well as significantly damaging the other enemy IS 8.)

One of my best battles in a long while.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

couple hours ago saw a commercial on the military channel for world of tanks

at least they are advertising where it will do the most good
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    I finally managed to kill an IS 8 in my M103.

Laugh not, those things have been the bane of my existance since the patch with absurdities like bouncing off their side hulls while they penetrate my frontal armour, having consistantly 0 damage shots even when I penetrate, and similar world of tanks nonsense.

That same battle, I proceeded to get 5 total kills (An AMX120, a KV1, an AMX 12 90, and an M12 arty piece as well as significantly damaging the other enemy IS 8.)

One of my best battles in a long while.
    Did I mention my battle with the SU-26 where I killed a Tiger and a Stug III with direct fire? Granted, it was a desperate move, seeing that I was the only one left, but I can only imagine the face the Tiger player had when I blew his tank up.

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    couple hours ago saw a commercial on the military channel for world of tanks

at least they are advertising where it will do the most good
    They're advertising pretty heavily in the SEA region, and are having almost weekly events.

11. - Top - End - #11

Working my way up the French light line. For the most part, it has been an unpleasant experience.

The Tier-2 I can forgive. It may be slow, but it's armored like the micro-maus.

Tier-3 as just painful, I used up the last of my free experience to skip past it after five or so matches.

AMX-40... I don't even know where to begin. It seems to max out at 14 km/h on a level, paved surface when it's stats say it should be able to get up to 50. That only happens if you have a nice, long and steep hill to go down. The armor isn't terrible but wating for the below-tier but best in the tank cannon is really painful.

Only thing keeping me going is the promise of an auto-loader cannon next tier.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by psilontech View Post
    Working my way up the French light line. For the most part, it has been an unpleasant experience.

The Tier-2 I can forgive. It may be slow, but it's armored like the micro-maus.

Tier-3 as just painful, I used up the last of my free experience to skip past it after five or so matches.

AMX-40... I don't even know where to begin. It seems to max out at 14 km/h on a level, paved surface when it's stats say it should be able to get up to 50. That only happens if you have a nice, long and steep hill to go down. The armor isn't terrible but wating for the below-tier but best in the tank cannon is really painful.

Only thing keeping me going is the promise of an auto-loader cannon next tier.
    The stats which is listed there is only the theoretical maximum speed of the vehicle. The actual speed of the tank varies with engine power and driver skill.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not sure which was worse, the AMX 38 or 40. They were both fairly painful. But both did have really good armor for their tier and both with and against them they bounce a lot of shots. I think I got a Steel Wall with both of them in fact. The worse part was that they were always too slow to be where they needed to be at any given time. Which made it hard to get kills and get exp, not that the gun was too weak, but simply that everyone else got all the kills while you were getting there.

14. - Top - End - #14

I want to play tanks more.
    I want to play World of Warcraft more.
    I need to work more.
    I ought to sleep more.

I can choose two.

Awesome avatar by Shades Of Gray!

I really need to find some new quotes to put here.

15. - Top - End - #15

By the way, what are some good mods people can recommend? Simple ones that just improve the GUI or make the game look/sound better or some such?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

The only mod I keep hearing being tossed around are the hitbox mods. (Ones where they saw each tank's weakspots.)

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Elm11 View Post
    I want to play tanks more.
    I want to play World of Warcraft more.
    I need to work more.
    I ought to sleep more.

I can choose two.

Tanks and Sleep
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    By the way, what are some good mods people can recommend? Simple ones that just improve the GUI or make the game look/sound better or some such?
    Personally, I prefer this one. Updates a lot of stuff, gives you a handy hit counter for how many times you've been hit, shell travel time for arty, and a lot of other cool stuff. Be sure to do the perma serverside crosshairs, too. They bumped my hit percentage up by about 5% alone.
    There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'time to reload.'
    Schlock Mercenaries

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

wow..pure rng hate for me
    just played a game in my m40/43..1850 damage gun..
    direct hit to side of a stationary t-50-2..he lives at 40%
    direct hit to enemy m40/43..he lives at 30%
    ???!!??!???!!?!!
    my MINIMUM damage is more than their HP
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

full size avatar

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

???!!??!???!!?!!
    HE rounds? If it does not penetrate their armour (always a possibility with all the wonky shenanigans WoT does), it only deals half damage. That damage is then further reduced by an unknown coefficient based on the thickness of armour. The same reason why my SU-26 can't dent a stupid KV unless I hit them from the top.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-05-31 at 01:52 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    HE rounds? If it does not penetrate their armour (always a possibility with all the wonky shenanigans WoT does), it only deals half damage. That damage is then further reduced by an unknown coefficient based on the thickness of armour. The same reason why my SU-26 can't dent a stupid KV unless I hit them from the top.
    look at the targets i mentioned again
    penetration was not a problem
    with a direct hit the he "sphere" is more than sufficiently big to get through the side of t-50-2 and the top of arty even w/o straight up shot penetration
    (which i had on both)

i guess it was a scenario of "the shot went through the armor and exploded inside the cabin..thus "containing" the blast and doing less damage"...........
    or some BS like that

full size avatar

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Regarding the AMX 40. One game, we needed to send somebody back to defend base, and the 2 closest at about the same distance were me in my AMX 40, and a KV (pre patch). Our team unanimously agreed that the fastest choice here was the KV.

Even though overall I did OK with it (not too far below .500 match record, with really below par kill numbers), I'd have to rank the AMX 40 well below the M3 Lee as the worst tank. The other disadvantage of playing it is that it in no way prepares you for how to drive the AMX 12t that comes after, you have to learn everything about it from scratch.

The best role I found for it was as a plug in a hole somewhere. Get behind the corner of a building and play peek-a-boo with the enemy, not really even worrying about getting off shots because you're unlikely to hurt them. Just poke out, let your armor take a shot or try to get them to miss, then repeat. If you get lucky, they'll waste a lot of time delaying their advance instead of realizing they can just bum rush you any time they want. Not a glamorous role, but one that sometimes really helps your side get a positional advantage.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

23. - Top - End - #23

???!!??!???!!?!!
    Don't get me started on Panzer IVs failing to pierce M7 Priest's 12mm armour. Plink plink plink. My piercing is TEN TIMES your armour rating. Flat side tanks best design.

24. - Top - End - #24

Bwahahahahahaha. One of my best games ever Tonight!
    12. Freaking. Kills. My entire team sans a T-14 runs off to their deaths in the South leaving me in a bush guarding the North-West route to our base with the T-14 hiding behind a building somewhere near me. There after about the sixth or seventh kill my heart rate really started to go up and it got to be a really close one when they figured they could come see me more than one at a time. The T14 served as a great distraction until he got himself killed by leaving the comfort of cover with five or six enemy tanks still alive.
    I cackled furiously as the last remaining tank, an M2 Medium hid behind a rock after I killed the KV that he had come up the little slope with before finishing him off.
    God, what a rush.
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by psilontech; 2012-05-31 at 10:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    Don't get me started on Panzer IVs failing to pierce M7 Priest's 12mm armour. Plink plink plink. My piercing is TEN TIMES your armour rating. Flat side tanks best design.
    My KV's (pre-patch) 107mm gun bounced off a M7 priest frontal armour. Three times.

26. - Top - End - #26

RogueGuy

As I might have bemoaned several times in the past thread, the Priest has an unholy tendency to bounce frontal shots from stuff that should slaughter it easily. Hell, I've had an 88/71 bounce it before, and it has 203mm of penetration.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

27. - Top - End - #27

Bwahahahahahaha. One of my best games ever Tonight!
    12. Freaking. Kills. My entire team sans a T-14 runs off to their deaths in the South leaving me in a bush guarding the North-West route to our base with the T-14 hiding behind a building somewhere near me. There after about the sixth or seventh kill my heart rate really started to go up and it got to be a really close one when they figured they could come see me more than one at a time. The T14 served as a great distraction until he got himself killed by leaving the comfort of cover with five or six enemy tanks still alive.
    I cackled furiously as the last remaining tank, an M2 Medium hid behind a rock after I killed the KV that he had come up the little slope with before finishing him off.
    God, what a rush.
    Spoiler
    Show

Congrats that is awesome
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiny Ace Tanker for my T-50 and T49 today. Good games to be had.

Gotta admit, the T-50 is a whole new level of fun, dancing around tanks and shooting off tracks and engines.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gratz on the 12 kill game, beats my record of 10 kills in my T50.

In Other news, i finally made a descision, and sold the IS4. The IS7 is just simply a better T10 tank all round. (IMO)

Better gun (in practice, if not in theory), More versatile, Front armour that actually stops shots, better mobility.

And, looks a lot better too.

It was a sad day indeed, and whilst i agree the IS4 was a STRONG tank at Tier 9... the adjustments made when it uped a tier just dont work for it's intended role. The IS7 is STILL a better brawler than the IS4, with the added bonus of all its other uses as well.
    Last edited by SanguisAevum; 2012-06-01 at 04:33 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Did I mention my battle with the SU-26 where I killed a Tiger and a Stug III with direct fire? Granted, it was a desperate move, seeing that I was the only one left, but I can only imagine the face the Tiger player had when I blew his tank up.
    SU-26 is a tiny spiteful machinegun artillery of death to lights and mediums and surprising feats if you backstab with it (which is very possible seeing it's tiny profile and TURRET WOOHOO). I keep a single gold shell in it for just those occasions - my only fadin's medal (kill the last enemy with the last shell in your tank) was with my SU-26 against an IS who trundled right past me only for me to lob my final cursed shot into his engine, burning him to death.

As for lower-ranked matches...
    Spoiler
    Show

I got the former set just now, and the previous some time back. Fun stuff!
    12. Freaking. Kills.
    Ah, my thunder! It's been stole'd!
    Last edited by Reaver225; 2012-06-01 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Wrong picture, whoops
    *waves hand* "There are no plotholes here. This isn't the comic you are looking for..."
    Possibility of Interminable Reciprocity! For that Touhou Roleplaying game you always wanted to join, but never managed to!