New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839
Results 1,141 to 1,165 of 1165

Thread: Old Ways IC II

1. - Top - End - #1141
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Old Ways IC II

Ash sets up her training ground on a flat area north of the Bost Keep. Occasionally, she spies travelers along the riverside trail below, headed toward Threshold.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mycah

Disappointed, but not really surprised, by the lack of armor offerings available, Mycah chooses not to waste the vendors' time at this point and keeps moving. He takes note of what is currently available, but wants to see what else becomes an option.

When Ash invites him to train on horseback, he declines.
    "Oh, no, I don't think that's a good idea at all," he says quickly. "That's fine for you and the other tough fighters, but I'll be happy to trust my feet in a fight. Horses are handy fro getting around, but I'm not cut out to be a great knight like you are. Be careful, OK? That looks awfully dangerous to me."
    He flushes, obviously embarrassed about something as he answers, then roots around in his pouch for a moment. He pulls out a small wooden carving and holds it out to her. "I made this for you while we were waiting for the hobgoblins. It's not too good, but it's supposed to be a tulip - they always remind me of spring and the pretty things you miss all winter. I... thought you might like it. You can keep it for good luck while you practice, maybe." He smiles at her, looking a bit shocked he's actually doing this maybe, as he waits to see if she'll accept it.

Spoiler
    Show
    No posting from me tomorrow, I'll be out of the office again. Check in once i'm able.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Barbarian in the Playground

Armed with a more specific question, Alanna returns to the temple's library.
    "My leader says to look up the Immortal Spiders. I want to find out as much as I can about them, especially the queen. Histories, skills, tactics. Let's try to find spells that might be useful while we're at it. I don't care how weird or oddly specific or even useless they seem at first, anything new would definitely be a bonus."
    Alanna seems oddly enthusiastic about learning, and she spends almost the entire day looking things up, even ignoring meals. She only stops when it's time to meet up with the others at the Nut.
    "If any of you guys want to come along, feel free. I'm sure you can explain the stuff we find out better than I can."
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

"What I lack in luck, I try to make up for in guts and skill, particularly on the battlefield. However, luck has often made the difference for evenly matched enemies. I shall be glad to carry the advantage against my opponents - though I'm afraid it may become damaged if I carry it with me all the time...
    "If it does - will you make me another?"

While she speaks, these thoughts mingle through her mind, Did he make one of these for Alanna too? No, that would be against his character. Then - She smiles softly as she returns Mycah's gaze at the end of her words.

I wonder if he knows the symbolism of the tulip... She grins a little to herself.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-05-10 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added a Thought.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

After determining how truthful the tellers seem to be, Bran listens with attention and great concentration to everything told to him.

He muses, "A lot of trouble is happening on the Duke's Road and in Specularum, I take it. And the Fangs are opposed by the elves of Rifflian and the Order of the Griffin."

He pays the tale-tellers a total of 10 gold for their information and thanks them for their help.

When he next sees any or all of his companions, he relates the news he has heard, and his conclusions.

When Ash invites him to practice jousting with her, Bran looks surprised, then alarmed at the offer.

"I can't hit a girl for practice. Besides... You're Lord Bost's -niece-. I -really- can't hit you with a big stick."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I will reduce Bran's total gp by 10. The 600 has already been added.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2013-05-10 at 03:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1146

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera View Post
    ASH

"If it does - will you make me another?"
    When Ash meets his eyes and smiles back, he flushes more red yet, but does manage to not drop his gaze as he answers.
    "Another one? Uh, of course I would, just ask. I can make something different if you'd like that better." Not an elegant response, but an honest one. The best he can manage for now.
    "Well, I suppose you'd better get to your practice then. I'm sure you'll do good. You said you did some jousting back in Thyatis didn't you? I'll see you for dinner!" With that he smiles again and lets her go, watching her walk away.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course he doesn't know the significance of the tulip, silly. He's a guy. Duh.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash clearifies with Brandon, "We could hit the practice dummies instead, not that I love the idea that you wouldn't practice with me based on my social station." She tries to act like that didn't bother her too much.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course he doesn't know the significance of the tulip, silly. He's a guy. Duh.
    Heehee, I figured. :P Cat and mouse has been fun.

8. - Top - End - #1148

Alanna returns to the temple, her assistants pleased to have something specific to look for. It was slow work, however, as there was no obvious treatise on the subject specifically. Still, there was a mention here of a treacherous spider beguiling townsfolk and there of a half-human half-spider and a small army of her children massacring a village. Then there were tales of the immortal heroes that mentioned spiders in a seemingly allegorical way. The trio certainly finds pieces of the puzzle, enough to spur them on to search for useful information.
    Forum Rules

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Titan in the Playground

After getting fitted for new armour, Nathros idles his time away in the Nut; when he finally grows tired of that, he considers taking a stroll around town and seeing what can be seen. By way of prelude he strikes up conversations with patrons of the tavern concerning local events.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

That evening, Ash reminds everyone that the guards could use their assistance in keeping the order in town while the festivities take place, including before the caravan arrives - probably.
    Ash mentions that she intends to offer her services to the captain of the guards tomorrow morning and that anyone interested in helping can come along with her - unless more pressing matters arise.

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't forget Mycah wanted to see Bran's mom about something still.

11. - Top - End - #1151

RangerGuy

Mycah relaxes and enjoys his evening at the Nut, talking with whoever has chosen to remain there. When Ash reminds them she's offered the groups services as guards, he groan's inwardly. Guard duty? Ugh. So boring - that's why I started getting out into the woods back at the camp. Maybe there are patrols outside the town that are looking for trouble there...

His plan for the morning is to make the trip to the Bost farm to see what Mrs. Bost wanted him for. He's cautiously optimistic it'll be a good thing, since the others all had received various gifts from her and he hadn't. His (in his eyes) greed in asking a house of all things, just made him look foolish, but perhaps she's decided on some token out of fairness. He'll ask Brandon if he wants to come along and see his family, but can find his way alone if need be.

Longer term, he will do his part to help the guards since Ash pledged the Companions aid if needed, but he does want to do some training of his own. The horsemanship isn't an interest, but he realizes he's still very inexperienced with his sword and wants to get more comfortable with it. He'll seek out some of Lord Bost's off-duty guards perhaps, just to drill with, or just work through the forms on his own. He also has some ideas about archery he wants to play around with. He thinks he has come up with a way to arrange his gear sot hat he can draw arrows from his quiver more quickly and shoot faster, so he wants to try and develop that speed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Practicing the Quick Draw skill, obviously.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

If there's any confusion regarding guard duty, Ash explains that it's purely voluntary and is not at all required of the rest of the group, though this is what she's chosen to do with her time.

Ash spends her late evenings at The Nut, though she is not inclined to drink to excess.
    She is always armored and armed - in case anyone gets a little rowdy when she walks home at night.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran practices jousting against a practice dummy. His new horse seems amazingly sturdy even for a warhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Koren n'Rhys View Post
    His plan for the morning is to make the trip to the Bost farm to see what Mrs. Bost wanted him for. He's cautiously optimistic it'll be a good thing, since the others all had received various gifts from her and he hadn't. His (in his eyes) greed in asking a house of all things, just made him look foolish, but perhaps she's decided on some token out of fairness. He'll ask Brandon if he wants to come along and see his family, but can find his way alone if need be.
    He belatedly remembers to tell his mother that Mycah wanted to talk to her about something... but he forgot exactly what the subject was. It couldn't have been too important, right?

Bran replies to Mycah, "No need to see them, I live there."

"Besides, I don't like family meetings much. They usually involve loud arguments and end in a stern lecture or extra chores or something like that."

For all that Bran seems close to his family, he does not go out of his way to see them more often than he already does.

Bran agrees to go with Ash to see the town guard captain.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash gives Bran the choice of how he would like to be introduced (to the captain of the guard) - by title, by fame as an adventurer, or by both.

When he relates the news he's found regarding the threats within Karameikos, she considers the information then replies, "Sounds like those elves may not have wished to ally with the Fangs to overturn Threshold after all.
    "And the Order of the Griffon is dealing with the Fangs around Specularum? Good. Perhaps we can ally with them for similar such endeavors if we travel that way.
    "Bargle sounds like a dangerous man. We should be careful not to anger him before we're ready to consider taking on such a well sewn foe.
    "If we travel those other parts, we will know what to watch for, but I'd not wish to gallivant about looking for trouble with giants and trolls unless they become a direct threat to Threshold or if we gain word of someone's capture by them."

15. - Top - End - #1155

Nathros finds the town as busy as he's ever seen it. Merchants from the surrounding areas have come to take advantage of the crowd the Caravan draws. Many craftmakers have probably been making their wares since the last Caravan visit. A few of the merchants have even dealt with the Caravan at its last stop and then rode ahead to trade. No one admits to that, of course, because they don't want trouble with the Caravan when it arrives. But rumor has it there are exotic weapons, art, and clothing as well as magic for trade.

The townsfolk are quite interested in the crowds gathering at the homes of local personalities. Apparently the Baron, Lord Bost, Merlinda, several others and even the Temple are seeing an influx of guests. A small encampment of supposed magic users has grown up around the base of Merlinda's tower. Across town many new and young faces wear the tabard of the town guard. Rumor has it that Lady Aleena has left town on another of her adventures, which strikes some townspeople as odd.

----
    The guard captain appreciates Ash and Brandon's help. He authorizes the party to be armed and armored in town and to take such action as needed to prevent crime and settle disputes. He asks that they simply be visible in the market square and occasionally patrol elsewhere. He suggests the two of them and perhaps their Dwarven member could curtail some problems just by their presence. The the others might more surreptitiously keep an eye out for trouble.

----
    Mycah finds Mrs. Bor expecting him the following morning. Gracious as ever, she spares him the awkwardness of explaining why he's there. She simply hands him a small picnic basket and gestures to a pair of riding horses. "I assume you have the day to spend with me, seeing about your share of the spoils."

Mrs. Bor does her best to engage Mycah in conversation, asking him about the party's recent adventures and about his time as a scout for Lord Bost. She will demur on any question of their destination, offering only "you will see" and "hopefully, it is what you had in mind."

Spoiler
    Show
    The rest via PM.

----
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-05-13 at 08:22 PM.
    Forum Rules

16. - Top - End - #1156

When the time comes to meet at the Nut, Alanna asks her assistants if any of them would like to come and help her explain what she found out.
    "Ash told me," she confesses, "that if we seek out the Spiders, we'll need more than one faith caster."
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1157

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Mycah finds Mrs. Bor expecting him the following morning. Gracious as ever, she spares him the awkwardness of explaining why he's there. She simply hands him a small picnic basket and gestures to a pair of riding horses. "I assume you have the day to spend with me, seeing about your share of the spoils."

Mrs. Bor does her best to engage Mycah in conversation, asking him about the party's recent adventures and about his time as a scout for Lord Bost. She will demur on any question of their destination, offering only "you will see" and "hopefully, it is what you had in mind."
    Mycah is certainly surprised and intrigued by Mrs. Bor's secrecy but he does his best to answer her questions as curiosity eats away at him. She is an intimidating woman to be sure, but her manner does indeed help to put him at ease. He sees where Brandon gets his strength of purpose as he gets to know her better.

He spends the day with her and by nightfall they've returned to town and he meets back up with his friends. They'll note an excitement in him but he doesn't comment on it and any questions are deflected as skillfully as he is able to manage. He doesn't talk much, actually, his mind awhirl as he comes to terms with the day's unexpected events.

The following morning, Mycah will find the stable that Ash had gotten the horses from for their hobgoblin hunting trip. He'll explain that he is interested in buying his own horse, not a warhorse, but one suited to scouting around in the forests. Small, fast.

Soon after, he'll check in with the guard captain, introducing himself as one of the Valiant Companions. He'll fill the man in on his scouting background and offer his services, preferably outside the town walls, joining the ranged patrols if the help is needed there.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera View Post
    Ash gives Bran the choice of how he would like to be introduced (to the captain of the guard) - by title, by fame as an adventurer, or by both.

"If we travel those other parts, we will know what to watch for, but I'd not wish to gallivant about looking for trouble with giants and trolls unless they become a direct threat to Threshold or if we gain word of someone's capture by them."[/COLOR]
    Brandon Bor

"Oh, just call me Bran."

"I think we should visit Specularum eventually. I'd love to visit a big city and see the sights. It'll be fun!"

A small encampment of supposed magic users has grown up around the base of Merlinda's tower.
    ----
    The guard captain appreciates Ash and Brandon's help. He authorizes the party to be armed and armored in town and to take such action as needed to prevent crime and settle disputes. He asks that they simply be visible in the market square and occasionally patrol elsewhere. He suggests the two of them and perhaps their Dwarven member could curtail some problems just by their presence. The the others might more surreptitiously keep an eye out for trouble.
    Bran promises the guard captain to spend at least 8 hours a day standing or sitting or walking around the market square and other places in town.

He mentions the guard captain's request to Nathros as soon as he sees him.

Bran approaches the magic-users and asks in a polite voice, emphasizing his country twang, "Hello, welcome to Threshold."

"What are you all here for? Some kind of magic-user get-together? Buying and selling stuff?"

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash narrows one eye and smiles a little on the same side of her face as Brandon chooses his title for introduction - Bran. "Very well. Your humility is an admirable quality." She bows just slightly as she delivers the compliment. Shortly after, she introduces Bran to the captain of the guards for assignment.

---

Ash guards the square as requested and does occasional patrols beyond, letting her presence be noted. She stands as tall and intimidating as she can manage for the sake of those that may require some incentive to stay in line. She's kind to those that need aid and particularly to children as she is oddly fond of them.

---

Ash wonders about Mycah's slightly different behaviour, but she doesn't pry as she's decided to trust that whatever it was is personal and would have no effect on the well being of the group.

When she's alone in her room before bed, she fidgets with the wooden flower gently and ponders about things past and things to come.

---

Ash will continue to patrol the next day after breakfast.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-05-14 at 07:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1160

Alanna's companions are happy to accompany her. They have only fragments and much of what they say, in terms of stories and sources, is incomprehensible to layfolk. But there are enough snippets and mentions of spiders and great evil to show that Alanna and her priestesses are on to something.

---
    Mycah can purchase a fine riding horse with tack, saddle, and saddlebags for 110 gp. The guard captain informs Mycah that he lacks the manpower to patrol outside the city walls, but that it seems a good idea. He approves such a patrol and grants Mycah similar authority to that given Brandon and Ash.

---
    Brandon travels outside the city walls and off to the northwest to Merlinda's tower. There a half-dozen tents have been raised. A few more people than that mill about chatting with each other or simply lounging about in apparent deep thought. Brandon's sense upon watching them is that these people are not a group but mostly individual travelers. One apparently is keen to speak, "Yes, we have come to trade with the Caravan, which is said to have many interesting magics. Also, some of us seek to apprentice ourselves to Merlinda or to one of the mages of the Caravan. But magic is not permitted inside the city walls, so we thought this the safest place. What bandits would dare challenge a powerful mage in her tower?

But why come you here, mailed and armed? Business with her greatness? "
    Forum Rules

21. - Top - End - #1161

RangerGuy

Mycah can purchase a fine riding horse with tack, saddle, and saddlebags for 110 gp. The guard captain informs Mycah that he lacks the manpower to patrol outside the city walls, but that it seems a good idea. He approves such a patrol and grants Mycah similar authority to that given Brandon and Ash.
    Mycah accepts the stabler's offer and indicates he will return later with the funds. He also inquires about the cost of stabling/upkeep, to keep his mount with the man when he isn't using it. He'll add the cost of the first month to the price of the horse and tack. After meeting with the guard captain, he'll go to Lord Bost's manor and collect 100 gold from his money deposited there, then return to the stables and complete his dealings there.
    -----------------
    He promises the guard captain he'll see to regular patrols along the roads leading into town, a presence to discourage trouble by the incoming crowds just as his friends are doing in the square. For a few hours in the afternoon, he'll ride the roadways, using the time to acquaint himself with his new steed and check in with the gate guards to let them all know what he'll be doing.
    -----------------
    As the roads and town get busier with the incoming merchants, he continues to keep his eyes open for leather-workers who are offering the improved armor he needs, whether those improvements are through design or materials. He has a taste for something a bit exotic looking, perhaps elven-styled?
    -----------------
    Finally, as the day winds down he'll settle his horse back into it's stable and rendezvous at the Nut. He'll tell the others of the patrol duty he's taken up and about his new horse.
    "I know I'm not much of a horseman yet, but I decided that if we're going to be ranging farther from home on our duties and adventures, I needed to learn. Having my own horse, one I can train with, and allow us to get used to each other, seemed smart. You'll all have to come meet her! I haven't decided on a name yet, though. I'll have to see what suits her."
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2013-05-15 at 10:26 AM.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran smiles and speaks in a courteous and mild fashion to the magic-user he is speaking with.

"Not at the present time, no. Just wanted to see how and why so many magic-users are visiting. I was curious."

"I'm Bran, by the way."

He pauses, then asks, "If it would be all right to ask and be answered, what sort of magics are bought and sold at the caravan?"

Bran is polite, but he lacks much fear of the magic-user.

23. - Top - End - #1163

"Hi, I'm Cowlishaw. Well, we don't know for sure. The Caravan has an unwritten rule about disclosing its secrets, but rumor has it that last time it was in Threshold they had an archmage who sometimes takes apprentices or trades spells from across the continent, and a trader with a wide variety of magical goods. My master purchased a wand last time and has sent me to acquire, uh, something else this time. One just has to inquire of the Caravan, I guess and hope they have it. Or put in an order and hope they can acquire it before their next visit."

None of the other pages join in the conversation but they seem to linger within earshot.

----
    The party's meetings at the Nut continue to draw interest from the locals, who seek their tales of adventure and well-connected insights into the festival preparations.

----
    Brandon and Ash occasionally break up minor scuffles and loud disputes as well as dispersing a crowd gathered around the Town Guard's removal of squatters from an abandoned building near the docks. No sign of the Fangs or other sinister plot appears.

----
    Mycah's finds himself patrolling the long line at the South Gate as well as riding a large half-circle around the town. Mycah spies more burly farmers standing or sitting watch in the fields out west than usual; apparently they are on guard as well.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-05-16 at 12:16 AM.
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

With the folk that engage in any casual conversation with Ash, she'll tell them that she's part of the Vigilant Companions, A.K.A. Bost's Rangers, that they are a known adventuring group in Threshold, and that her name is Ash. She hopes to spread the word so that her group will be able to take up missions with purpose more often - with set goals - rather than wander about with little insight and plenty of unexpected dangers.

She's always in her armor with her helmet on unless at The Nut (just no helmet), washing, or in bed.

When off duty, she'll seek out the messenger she sent to deliver her letter to Lord Bost and ask if things at Bost's Keep were going well (if her uncle was well).
    She'll also see if she can manage time to ride around the perimeter with Mycah when he's patrolling the outskirts.

25. - Top - End - #1165

Alanna enjoys the attention and tells stories to everyone who approaches her. Though she may embellish certain tales, she never exaggerates her own role in the group's exploits and always makes sure to give her companions credit for their bravery.
    Last edited by MeanMrsMustard; 2013-05-19 at 11:18 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show