New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: OOTS #732 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    The last 2 strips puts current politics in this entertaining comics and this is just sad. I happened to be supportive of the recently signed law in that other desert state and this truly turns me off as a reader.
    Expat, you are reading way more into this then is justified. To start with, there has been nothing negative implied about requiring valid paperwork of all residents. It's just a fact that this country has it. Many countries all over the world have such requirements. It's just that our heroes sidesteped the border and didn't realize it. That doesn't make it evil.

Now to the important question... can someone explain what Stone Shape is?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Maybe I just like Durkon as a character, but I thoroughly enjoyed this strip.

I think it had to do with the strip showing the story move ahead more than just a few minutes.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Now for the geekery thread to update durkon's age as 55.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, dear god. The fourth wall would be weeping.

But you MURDERED it, Rich. I hope you're happy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #65

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dsavereide View Post
    Now to the important question... can someone explain what Stone Shape is?
    It's a spell with which you can modify the shape of any object made of stone. Durkon used it to make a hole in the city wall.
    Creating things is satisfying.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Makes sense he has this spell, being a dwarf and all.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

7. - Top - End - #67

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    I don't see how =/ i mean it was the exact same comic, just about two or three times bigger
    It's a joke!
    Smile, joke, be happy for tomorrow will be worse.

Great power leads to great responsibility, but if youre powerless, dowhatever you want. - Thunt

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    A stable population would lead to more people since all the guys and most of the girls aren't being killed off in armies. And they're all going to die eventually. Thus if you're REALLY about maximizing the Deaths, peace and stability are, Ironically, your best bet.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

This is my first post here. I'm reading OOTS since the very beginning. What's great with OOTS is that it's one of the only place on the internet where you can escape the usual bitter partisanship and shouting matches in other stupid forums. Really, I always enjoyed OOTS and was looking forward to it every evening... until now.
    Expat, you are right about the forum being a very nice place. Reading from the forum rules it is clear that Rich does not want politics or other real world topics here. Don't you think it is quite far fetched that Rich, being a man who doesn't want this in the forum, suddenly makes a comic about it?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

The last 2 strips puts current politics in this entertaining comics and this is just sad. I happened to be supportive of the recently signed law in that other desert state and this truly turns me off as a reader. I think that these were the last strips for me and I won't be coming back. I'll probably be scorned and yelled at in this forum, so be it.

PS: My main argument about all this is that I came here in the 90s through the legal channel, waited in line, paid the fees and did the paperwork for all the various immigration steps and finally became a US citizen in 2005. So, yes. Contrary to a lot of people talking about the issue, I know quite a bit about the topic and I do not appreciate a bit anyone cutting in line who moreover has the nerve to complain about it.
    You obviously know a lot about the subject, so it colors how you interpret this strip. It's probably not a reference to the Arizona laws at all.

Requiring papers is typical in many countries, both real and fictional. This is sometimes used as a method by DMs of forcing players to deal with the authorities even when they don't do anything wrong and involve them with the plot in D and D.

Here, Rich just needed a way to get Roy and Belkar to the palace without making them criminals or using something convoluted to get them accused of something.

Don't let this turn you off to the comic.

10. - Top - End - #70

OldWizardGuy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr.Epic
    Ah Stone Shape! That can be a fun spell! Also, how'd they get into the city the first time? Also, also, nice touch one the plotline gag!

For the sake of cthulu! Did you read the previous thread!?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by binyamin20
    They wind walked in. says so in comic 600 something.
    Smile, joke, be happy for tomorrow will be worse.

Great power leads to great responsibility, but if youre powerless, dowhatever you want. - Thunt

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    A stable population would lead to more people since all the guys and most of the girls aren't being killed off in armies. And they're all going to die eventually. Thus if you're REALLY about maximizing the Deaths, peace and stability are, Ironically, your best bet.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Exclamation Re: OOTS #732 - The Discussion Thread

The last 2 strips puts current politics in this entertaining comics and this is just sad. I happened to be supportive of the recently signed law in that other desert state and this truly turns me off as a reader. I think that these were the last strips for me and I won't be coming back. I'll probably be scorned and yelled at in this forum, so be it.
    God, if I debated politics here, especially as a mere Pixie, I would get banhammered so fast. MUST...RESIST...!

But seriously, is it wrong to try to read into things(on your own terms)? Would it really be a bad thing for an author to express an opinion through satire? Rich Burlew did make fun of hippie-style-environmentalism in SoD, and has obviously passed plenty of strong opinions on morality. #272 is perhaps the most clear evidence of relevant political satire. I'm not necessarily saying this plot point was meant that way, it could very well have been planned out long beforehand, but it could also be the author noticing something and passing his view, and don't think that the possibility should be dismissed offhand.

Anyway though, that was quite funny, and I'm surprised that updates are coming along relatively quickly! I caught up a few months ago, and it seemed like updates were in a bit of a dry spell then.
    Last edited by Darthteej; 2010-07-02 at 02:14 AM.
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

12. - Top - End - #72

ClericGirl

"What are you trying to tell me, Mr Scruffy? Little Timmy fell down the well?"

I like how the alignments are really well played out - Durkon doesn't actually tell a lie, he just picks the truth that will get him through with minimal hassle...

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yay! Durkon solo adventure!

I like the implication in the fifth panel that Roy and Belkar have managed to get themselves carted off to jail in nearly every town they've been in so far.

Only thirty strips left? Does it seem to anyone else that this arc has been short compared to the ones before it?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Oh, dear god. The fourth wall would be weeping.

But you MURDERED it, Rich. I hope you're happy.
    Nah, Rich murdered the Fourth wall in the very first strip. Now he's just desecrating it's bleeding, broken corpse.
    Founder, Chief Eviscerator and resurrected Leader of The Belkar Fanclub - Because our psycho is better than your psycho .

[I]Avatar stolen from h_v's eviscerated corpse.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Woohoo! Durkon's back!
    You can't stop here! This is bat country!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Banned

I like how Durkon not-lies. ;)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I think Roy would have got the papers as well if he'd been aware of the necessity, but when you drop into the middle of the city using Wind Walk you tend to miss little details like that.

The innkeeper was presumably fined because he let them have a room without checking their papers, I guess?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

This is my first post here. I'm reading OOTS since the very beginning. What's great with OOTS is that it's one of the only place on the internet where you can escape the usual bitter partisanship and shouting matches in other stupid forums. Really, I always enjoyed OOTS and was looking forward to it every evening... until now.

PS: My main argument about all this is that I came here in the 90s through the legal channel, waited in line, paid the fees and did the paperwork for all the various immigration steps and finally became a US citizen in 2005. So, yes. Contrary to a lot of people talking about the issue, I know quite a bit about the topic and I do not appreciate a bit anyone cutting in line who moreover has the nerve to complain about it.
    As usual, there are no references to current politics beyond those readers invent for themselves. But hey, stop reading if it makes you feel better.

At any rate, the rest of you know that politics is a no-fly zone around here, so let's drop the conversation around it.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

19. - Top - End - #79

Obviously Durkon will retrieve Haley's bow and dagger. But will he salvage Belkar's drink as well?

Dun Dun duuuuun.....

PS: time for the Durkon development I've been waiting for!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was expecting something like this, but thats cool. Awesome punchline. Love Durkon.

With that said I had a conversation with my players back in a 2ed game....I'll spoiler the nitpicking to avoid being a downer.
    Spoiler
    Show

My players wanted to exit the City of Greyhawk at one point and wanted to use stone shape. I didn't permit it through the city wall on the grounds that the wall was too thick. Typical city walls of that era were on the order of 20' thick. The City of Greyhawk box set specifically stated theirs were 18' thick. The spell (3.5 ed, not going back to look up what it was in 2ed) states that it can affect 10 cu ft + 1 cu ft per level. Durkon is 15ish (or less, I forget and I'm not looking it up atm) so thats 25 cu ft. Since I doubt he can squeeze through a 1 cu ft square, I'll assume a 2'x2' square to crawl through. Thats 4 cu ft for each foot of depth through the wall and he runs out of spell after about 6'.

So.....those are some mighty thin city walls

Or we could just call it rule of funny
    I didn't do it! And if I did do it, I didn't know I could do it till I did it!

"Ok Kid, this is where it gets complicated"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

The last panel is pure comedy gold. Thanks, Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthteej View Post
    God, if I debated politics here, especially as a mere Pixie, I would get banhammered so fast. MUST...RESIST...!
    Politic is off topic here, you're right, but the titles are used for fun: post counts mean nothing, and Mods won't treat you more harshly because of your low post count.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2010-07-02 at 02:16 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    At any rate, the rest of you know that politics is a no-fly zone around here, so let's drop the conversation around it.
    Last edited by Darthteej; 2010-07-02 at 02:24 AM.
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: The man and his palettes

Well, that made my morning. Do you get the feeling that durkon isn't a cat person?

Quote Originally Posted by Venerable View Post
    Y'know, this comic highlighted something a bit subtle: the evolution of Rich's use of color. Go back and look at the first twenty strips. Everything was bright, high-contrast colors. Now compare to the last twenty twenty strips. Each strip has its own particular color palette, and the colors of each strip are tastefully chosen.

It's a subtle thing, but it elevates the comic from the rest and deserves some recognition. Well done, sir. claps
    I do believe its partly because the original colours showed up terribly in print. There were a couple comments in DCF, one directly in the text and another comment in a bonus panel (or was that in SOD?) about resolution.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    I think they're called 'Orisons'. Also more Durkon is always appreciated.
    I'm really surprised you're the only one who caught this. Since when did Durkon take an arcane spellcaster level? 0 level spells for divine casters are always orisons.

Of course, it's pretty obvious he only mentioned cantrips so that Mr. Scruffy would confuse it with "catnip".

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I don't think Mr. Scruffy had any problem recognizing the word "cantrip"; Durkon was the one not understanding correctly.

Nice lampshade hanging at the end, there.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

We see Haley's bow and dagger, and the wanted poster, but where's Roy's sword, (and Belkar's knives)?It seems odd that the Guards would confiscate their personal weapons, but would leave their friends weapons behind.

27. - Top - End - #87

MindFlayer

So if it's that easy why didn't they do that the first time ><

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

What's fifty five in Dwarf years? The average first level dwarven cleric is 61.
    I do love Durkon though, and the spell stone shape, great to see them together.
    “That which does not kill you was simply not permitted to do so for the purposes of the plot."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wanna know how Belkar, Durkon and Roy got in without encountering any bureaucratic guards.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I don't play Dungeons and Dragons. What does the spell Stone Shape do? Does it allow you to reformat the form of something made of stone, such as the wall?

My initial thought was that Durkon petrified Mr. Scruffy to make sure he wouldn't leave while he got his papers.