New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default nWoD fan-made splats

I know of Genius: The Transgression, but I've heard people mention that there are 3 good fan-made nWoD games and I don't know what the other two are.

What are they, any opinions on them, and is there a free and legal download of them somewhere?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: nWoD fan-made splats

There is one about awakening as a Cthulhu Mythos-esque monster, if I remember correctly, and one that's maybe about dragons, but I don't have any real knowledge of either.

However, I do know the third fansplat, Princess: The Hopeful which has got pretty awesome writing. It's about magical girls, but with more of a street-level scope than most and it's thematically the closest to Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Sailor Nothing, rather than more conventional works in the genre. Thematically it is about the burdens of heroism and standing strong in the face of a very broken world that you just can't ignore the suffering of, but where looking into the horrors also wears you down if you don't learn to pace yourself properly and develop a strong social network to rely on.

You can find more information on the wiki, as well as download links for the two version. I only know the pdf version, however, and honestly have no idea what the differences between the two are, other than one being developed by people on rpg.net and the other by people on White Wolf's boards. I don't even know which group makes which version. Still, I can highly recommend checking it out.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2013-10-03 at 02:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The one about Cthulhuesque monsters is Leviathan: the Tempest.

The one about dragons is Dragon: the Embers.

Also if there wasn't a way to download them freely and legally something would be very wrong.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2013-10-03 at 02:19 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Thank you. I had played Leviathan, but had forgotten about it. Didn't really like it in-play, but I look forward to reading the Dragons one. (I don't think I could convince my group to try the Princess one, though it looks interesting as well.)

Is there also one based on Mass Effect? I think I saw something in reference to it here, but maybe it was a joke.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

It has been mentioned, but I have no idea if anybody is working on it, much less if they have actually published anything yet.

And Princess is a lot less girly than the genre might lead you to believe, but I can see why it might be a tough sell for some groups of guys. For a lot of groups of guys, really.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Is there also one based on Mass Effect? I think I saw something in reference to it here, but maybe it was a joke.
    Mass: the Effecting?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

7. - Top - End - #7
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Howabout Hunchback: The Lurching?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Dungeons: The Dragoning comes to mind. That's the only other one I've seen relatively completed.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Which is definitely not a joke. Third draft and 20 sessions of playtesting, and it works really well.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Didn't really like it in-play, but I look forward to reading the Dragons one.
    Dragon the Embers is currently in a state of flux; I released a finalized version of the Second-Stage development (which I foolishly believed would be the final stage of development) in May, but with the biggest glaring mechanical issues out of the way its thematic flaws became more apparent. Discussions regarding a rewrite and a link you may use to acquire the document can be found in this thread on the White Wolf forums.

The game is about usurpers and paranoia. Changes in the next stage of development will help clean up lingering errors, poor setting components, and will also significantly increase the horror in the template (and take it in a measurably different direction; second-stage chronicles will not be compatible with the third-stage document). I'd tell you to wait for the new version, but it usually takes me years between drafts. Better to read it and share any issues you encounter rather than wait (that way, you can influence the game in a direction you prefer).

Also, there are actually dozens of fan-made splats to be found; Genius, Leviathan, Princess, and Dragon are just the ones with the biggest buzz (in that order). You can find fan creations of cWoD Wraith, Angels, Demons, the Highlander, Biologically Infected... the list goes on. I'd recommend checking the White Wolf WoD General Discussion forums every once in a while if you're looking for new stuff, there are usually a few projects under development every few months.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Huh, Leviathan is bigger than Princess these days? I'm pretty used to running into Princess much more frequently, though I guess that might in part be because of the circle of people I hang out with.

Also, can you tell me what the differences between the rpg.net version and the White Wolf forum version of Princess are? You seem a lot more involved with nWoD fansplats than I am.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Huh, Leviathan is bigger than Princess these days? I'm pretty used to running into Princess much more frequently, though I guess that might in part be because of the circle of people I hang out with.

Also, can you tell me what the differences between the rpg.net version and the White Wolf forum version of Princess are? You seem a lot more involved with nWoD fansplats than I am.
    The White Wolf one was abandoned years ago, for one.

It was supposed to be darker, but still, abandoned.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Their is one for the Highlander series
    and one for Digimon
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't