New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Stuff I just don't understand, post here yours.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    ....Perfectly Human of you.

Thanks for your kind response.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Thanks for your kind response.
    Elegant pun there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Today I was reminded of something that's baffled me for a long while:

Engineers who cannot calculate volume for their own designs.

Like, these people. Are sitting on a computer. Drawing blueprints with computer aided design. Noting down all the necessary measurements. With calculator program one click away.

And yet, almost every damn time, the volume given for concrete required is off by margin of nearly 200 litres. And I have to calculate it again myself.

Like, we're talking about walls here. 99% of the time they're rectangles. A third grader knows how to calculate this stuff. Yet somehow professional engineers don't manage.

How is this possible? How? Hoooooow?
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Today I was reminded of something that's baffled me for a long while:

Engineers who cannot calculate volume for their own designs.

Like, these people. Are sitting on a computer. Drawing blueprints with computer aided design. Noting down all the necessary measurements. With calculator program one click away.

And yet, almost every damn time, the volume given for concrete required is off by margin of nearly 200 litres. And I have to calculate it again myself.

Like, we're talking about walls here. 99% of the time they're rectangles. A third grader knows how to calculate this stuff. Yet somehow professional engineers don't manage.

How is this possible? How? Hoooooow?
    I assume you're in construction?

Well, as an engineer, I'll give a possible answer, but not an excuse. It's likely that they are taking the output of the CAD program at its word, and the program is doing something wrong. Perhaps it thinks there's a void where there isn't one. Alternately, the volume they're giving you is the volume of the wall, subtracting the space the rebar takes up. Who knows.

But like I said, not really an excuse. (Unless it's wall minus rebar, in which case it's probably on purpose, just isn't what you're looking for I guess?)

Personally, all my volumes are very, very approximate, as I don't do walls and easy rectangles. I do roads and grading. So we estimate volumes either by comparing two surfaces to each other, or by taking cross sections every 10-25m and multiplying by the distances between them. Either way, once you're in the field, and depending on how well things compact, it ends up being +/- 10-20% from the estimated quantity.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

If it's always the same people they could just be incompetent too. Alternatively you could ask them why and maybe there'd be an explanation. I know I won't put up with someone just saying they made the same mistake on multiple occasions without some justification.

6. - Top - End - #126

The trope of sassy bartenders (in fiction - I don't know how common this is in real life). For reference, this is the sort of thing I'm talking about:

"Excuse me, this isn't a martini."
    "It is in Kentucky."
    "Fair enough."

And this sort of scene is so common in fiction that it seems to be playing with a real-life stereotype, but how would such a stereotype have gotten started in the first place? Wouldn't a bartender end up unemployed if they actually acted like that? (Assuming that, as a sort of wait staff, their job is to dispense what people actually order . . . right?)

I don't understand why I'm even thinking about this, but I thought the answer might be interesting.

If it's more suited for the Media Discussions subforum, do please let me know.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    The trope of sassy bartenders (in fiction - I don't know how common this is in real life). For reference, this is the sort of thing I'm talking about:

"Excuse me, this isn't a martini."
    "It is in Kentucky."
    "Fair enough."

And this sort of scene is so common in fiction that it seems to be playing with a real-life stereotype, but how would such a stereotype have gotten started in the first place? Wouldn't a bartender end up unemployed if they actually acted like that? (Assuming that, as a sort of wait staff, their job is to dispense what people actually order . . . right?)

I don't understand why I'm even thinking about this, but I thought the answer might be interesting.

If it's more suited for the Media Discussions subforum, do please let me know.
    Many bars' income is significantly based on regulars, who come in every day, and who are served precisely what they want. Newcomers asking for "weird" stuff may get a bit of lip, especially if that will please the regulars. It endangers the generation of new regulars, of course, but if you are the kind of person who wants a martini from a bar that only serves whiskey, then you aren't regular material for the bar. They lose little, they stand to gain further appreciation from their actual patrons.

In films, the main character is usually on the move, and having this kind of scenario, such as in Kingsman 2, which you quoted, is a way to show how far the character is outside their comfort zone. The flip side is the character that goes into a bar, asks for "my usual" and gets served. In either case, it is also a good moment for a bit of levity, which is always appreciated.

The midpoint between the two is usually NOT shown in films, because it adds nothing to the scene. Instead, the film may cut to the character already with food in front of them (or if an interruption is needed for the scene, starting without food, and getting it delivered, usually to show some kind of characterisation based on what each person ordered).

So, in short, "in films, interacting with the bartender has to serve the story".

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-10-11 at 02:39 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Many bars' income is significantly based on regulars, who come in every day, and who are served precisely what they want. Newcomers asking for "weird" stuff may get a bit of lip, especially if that will please the regulars. It endangers the generation of new regulars, of course, but if you are the kind of person who wants a martini from a bar that only serves whiskey, then you aren't regular material for the bar. They lose little, they stand to gain further appreciation from their actual patrons.

In films, the main character is usually on the move, and having this kind of scenario, such as in Kingsman 2, which you quoted, is a way to show how far the character is outside their comfort zone. The flip side is the character that goes into a bar, asks for "my usual" and gets served. In either case, it is also a good moment for a bit of levity, which is always appreciated.

The midpoint between the two is usually NOT shown in films, because it adds nothing to the scene. Instead, the film may cut to the character already with food in front of them (or if an interruption is needed for the scene, starting without food, and getting it delivered, usually to show some kind of characterisation based on what each person ordered).

So, in short, "in films, interacting with the bartender has to serve the story".

Grey Wolf
    And unfortunately Pulp Fiction wins the "interacting with serving people" competition, so everyone else has to make due with living in its shadow.

"Garcon means boy." Guy totally ignores her.

Or Hot Fuzz "what is your wine selection." "Red.... Or white." "I'll have a beer then."
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2017-10-11 at 02:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    As for what i would like to add:

People who Don't take their shoes off when they enter their home / someone else's home. Like dude, take those off, leave them at the door. You're getting dirt everywhere, no telling what you stepped in outside. n-no, don't put your feet up on the table / couch / bed! You're just making things worse! For cripes sake people just take off your shoes when you enter a home!
    Oh goodness yes. What sort of person can't take off their shoes!? I live in an area where it isn't universal, but I think you should damn well ask the host if you can keep your shoes or take them off. Carpets get filthy after a while if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Tent cities? Probably. Bay area rent, from what I've heard, is insane
    Bay area rent is insane. But I'm willing to bet that the tent cities are going to only be in warm cities. I doubt you get many faux-bos in Toronto during a snow storm!

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
    The fact we have to be sad when soemone die, I rather do it like the mexicans party and celebrate, death is part of nature why the need to be sad?
    Because people miss the person. They won't see that person again for some time. Grieving is a personal process, and should be focused on helping the bereaved process it. So I'd mention to loved ones what you'd prefer for yourself, but keep in mind they might not do it because of what they need.

I believe it was custom in New Orleans to do a bit of both? The sad bit first, then a party to celebrate the person's life? I could be wrong.

And I have to confess, I sometimes watch reality TV shows. It's a guilty pleasure to watch some of the food networks ones, but in my defense, sometimes things catch on fire and there's genuine cooking tips in there. I just bear it with a grain of salt and remember that half of what they say probably isn't true or is taken out of context. The drama stuff, not the cooking stuff.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2017-10-11 at 03:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    "Garcon means boy." Guy totally ignores her.
    It been awhile but I recall him looking briefly amused at the factoid.

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

Grey Wolf
    That . . . ugh, that makes perfect sense. Brainless moment on my part, I suppose.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

The month before last I went to do an annual inspection (of part of the water supply system) at the Richmond Police Station, and an older woman came crying that she lost her granddaughter, and unlike my co-worker I couldn't even pretend to care or offer any reassurances that she would be found.

Ever so often, something I read, or a song I hear, or a movie I watch will get my eyes misty, but all the actual real-life-in-front-of-me human misery just evokes simmering annoyance and fatigue.
    I too don't think you should worry, because I think you hit the problem on the head: Fatigue. People in stressful situations around others can become emotionally fatigued or drained. I've heard this issue happening a lot in the medical field for instance (the ol' story of EMTs having the darkest sense of humor, for instance).

If the woman is at the police station, she might not have wanted a stranger to come up and offer empty condolences or butt into a very important matter, if it helps. Sometimes all you can do is help and make sure the damn water works so the people who can help can get to work faster.

If the matter continues, consider just taking a day to relax and focus on what is your concern: Your kids! Make sure you do the best you can for them. Maybe take a day to do something fun with them to have a mini-vacation.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    I too don't think you should worry, because....
    Thanks for the words of encouragement

...If the woman is at the police station, she might not have wanted a stranger to come up and offer empty condolences...
    Since she was leaving the station I think condolences and reassurances were precisely what she wanted, not the "We have noted this" she likely got. My co-worker was able to tell her "Don't worry they'll find her", but all I could think of (which I didn't voice) was "Hopefully not at the autopsy room" (Pretty much all of us who have worked in the autopsy room learn not to answer when asked "How was your day? ")

If the matter continues, consider just taking a day to relax and focus on what is your concern: Your kids! Make sure you do the best you can for them. Maybe take a day to do something fun with them to have a mini-vacation.
    Good advice, thanks.

14. - Top - End - #134

DwarfFighterGuy

Thanks for the words of encouragement

Since she was leaving the station I think condolences and reassurances were precisely what she wanted, not the "We have noted this" she likely got. My co-worker was able to tell her "Don't worry they'll find her", but all I could think of (which I didn't voice) was "Hopefully not at the autopsy room" (Pretty much all of us who have worked in the autopsy room learn not to answer when asked "How was your day? ")

Good advice, thanks.
    Yeah, this seems about normal.

My dad is a retired firefighter. We were talking recently about all the issues that job involved, the potential for PTSD, etc, and he mentioned just how dark the humour gets around the fire hall. It's a coping mechanism. You have to be able to distance yourself from the situation emotionally, or you can't do the job.

And, just like you did, you have to remember not to make those jokes in front of the people whose house burned down/daughter went missing. So yeah, seems pretty normal.

Some people, like your coworker, are better at turning the empathy back on, or at least faking it. And sometimes you go through rough periods where it doesn't come as easy.

But I assume if it was someone you knew, such as your child or a friend, you would have been able to be more supportive. Especially if you weren't at your job at the time.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Some people are different, and in case I think I was wrong. But I think I agree with ve4grm, that the coworker might be better with compartmentalizing or faking empathy. If you don't think you are up to faking it...Don't bother. If that's what gets you through the day, I'm really not going to complain. You have a job to do and the cops probably aren't going to solve anything if they have to jog to the 7-11 to use the bathroom.

Maybe ask your coworker how he deals with it, even if you make your inquiry a little vague. Even just having someone to talk to who goes through the same thing might help.

Or start a DnD group? Maybe some time bashing trolls upside the head will help.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

A thing that really made me think when I noticed is: why does the poop emoji have a face? Sure, to convey a mood, but why? Or rather, what mood that isn't adequately expressed by just the poop?
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

17. - Top - End - #137

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    A thing that really made me think when I noticed is: why does the poop emoji have a face? Sure, to convey a mood, but why? Or rather, what mood that isn't adequately expressed by just the poop?
    Also, why is it a happy face?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

I'm actually quite happy it's a smiling face, because otherwise you'd have sad poop, or merely indifferent poop, which just deepens the mystery.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Because the artist wasn't paid enough and trying to make a poop emoji that is obviously lighthearted is quite difficult.

But I think a angry poop emoji would be a great way to communicate certain types of illnesses.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Firbolg in the Playground

Since it's been hinted at: people who ask me to take off my shoes when entering their home, and then leave me barefoot while they walk around with slippers. Dude, give me some slippers, too! Or felt pads, if it's all shiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Since it's been hinted at: people who ask me to take off my shoes when entering their home, and then leave me barefoot while they walk around with slippers. Dude, give me some slippers, too! Or felt pads, if it's all shiny.
    I don't quite get the point of slippers. I just don't want people tracking dirt all around my house. Plus, just for myself, it's way more comfortable.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't quite get the point of slippers. I just don't want people tracking dirt all around my house. Plus, just for myself, it's way more comfortable.
    If your feet get cold, you have circulation issues or uneven floors? Or pets inclined to sit on your feet? I think it's hard to explain what feels comfortable, versus what isn't.

However, since I don't wear slippers, I am free not to offer any to my guests. HAH. Through do people not go barefoot/have socks on? If I know someone well enough to be in their house, I probably don't care that I am showing my mismatching socks to them.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    If your feet get cold, you have circulation issues or uneven floors? Or pets inclined to sit on your feet? I think it's hard to explain what feels comfortable, versus what isn't.

However, since I don't wear slippers, I am free not to offer any to my guests. HAH. Through do people not go barefoot/have socks on? If I know someone well enough to be in their house, I probably don't care that I am showing my mismatching socks to them.
    Socks.Socks are great. Feet don't get cold, feet still feel comfy without the harsh restrictions of shoes or slippers, socks can be tin in summer and thick in winter. I have Star Wars socks, plain white sicks, nice thin socks, super fat winter socks, super nice 100% cashmere socks ($2 at Bargain Hunt. Seriously, I will never find a deal that good ever again. They had no idea what they had. It's like wrapping my feet in a cloud).
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground

Something I don't understand? The gays.

Why would a guy prefer to love, sleep and be with another guy than with a girl?

They are guys! They should know better.

Most guys are selfish and disgusting huge jerks.

How can a guy find that more attractive than a girl?

Last edited by Mojo; 2017-10-13 at 05:53 PM.
    - Follower of Topaxci, God of great ideas that you forgot to write down and will never remember again -

Click and drag my avatar :)

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

...socks can be tin in summer...
    While technically true I'm not sure this actually helps in any way.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    While technically true I'm not sure this actually helps in any way.
    Fun fact: the true reason for the Bronze Age collapse was that they had to use all the available tin to make their socks, leaving none for making the actual bronze.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

27. - Top - End - #147
    Firbolg in the Playground

The advantage is that aliens won't control your feet. Also, you can preserve them in the fridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

This is also why all women are lesbians, I suppose?

There are many fine, cute, smart, adorable, sexy, (and my favorite) geeky guys. It's true that most of them just aren't interested in guys like you, going off your self description.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

I desperately hope this isn't a serious question, because if so... yeesh. There is something deeply wrong with your view on people.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

...How can a guy find that more attractive than a girl?

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    I desperately hope this isn't a serious question.....

When I was a new apprentice plumber I actually heard one of the Journeyman ask this out-loud to the whole crew, supplemented by "I mean women are just amazing, I mean wow...". No one answered him and he was basically considered a nut-job, with the other the Journeyman laughing at him (this was in Silicon Valley during the last year of the Clinton administration when the main qualification for staying employed was the ability to fog a mirror), he lived in a VW Microbus and would tell the crew things like "My hobby is to go to restaurants and leave really big tips, waitresses love me!", and I was warned by another apprentice , "He called me over to his van to tell me something, and the dude started changing his clothes in front of me!, So if he calls you over stay out of the van!".
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!