New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Lightbulb

Talk about tactics for all races tell us about your army and such we can give you cool ideas if you tell what kind of army your faceing off against!

I have an Ork army Im going have 6 bikes 1 buggy and a truck plus 2 mobs of orks. I may be playing against tyranids or tua. Give me ideas plz.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics

That's not legal is it? Or did you neglect to mention the mandatory Warboss?
    Last edited by Bryn; 2008-08-17 at 03:00 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I play Terminators.(Deathwing)

Since they're great at everything, the tactics vary game to game.
    Always try and keep out of gunfire of the enemy. Stay mobile, since it doesn't effect your firepower. Shoot the combat guys, punch the shooty ones. Dreadnaughts are pretty good firebases. Landraiders can be okay... if unlikely to get back their point costs.

And when you get a really bad dice roll and your expensive squad gets wiped out in a flurry of ones, try and not panic.

For Chaos, I play a combat army mostly. Tactics being CHARGE! Khorne berserkers, kickass prince, Bloodletters as backup when you get close.

Not much to say about them really.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I play Tau. Lots of Tau, about an 8600 pt army for em. I have a large number of Stealth Suits, Fire Warriors and Pathfinders with various weapons, backed up by a couple of Crisis and Broadside suits, with vehicular/artillery support where appropriate in the form of Skyray and Hammerhead Gunships. Devilfish troop carriers round out my army, with a Tau Commander with the best armaments that points and money can buy.

Town Character Nukular, now retired as my avatar.
    Spoiler
    Show

Character List
    Spoiler
    Show

SPARTAN 587
    Lucas 'Moose' RockNukular
    Lucas's dad, Peter
    Gen the Jackal
    Yigyar the GruntJimmy
    Phil
    Donovan the Mutant Mindflayer
    Big Paul and Lucas's mother Joanna

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ya I forgot the warboss.

Tell us some of your tactics blackout!

6. - Top - End - #6

Well, despite the belief that Tau are the 'dig-in-and-hold-out' kind of army, I always like to keep my troops on the move. I load up any Pathfinders and Fire Warriors I can into the Devilfish APCs, and my Stealth Suits, vehicles, and larger battlesuits give them covering fire until they can get to a location with moderate-to-excellent cover. Then I unload the soldiers, try to have them pick off some enemy grunts, and then it's back in the APCs and on the move again. Risky, but it works for me. Especially against armies like the Space Marines.

Spoiler
    Show

Character List
    Spoiler
    Show

SPARTAN 587
    Lucas's dad, Peter
    Gen the Jackal
    Yigyar the GruntJimmy
    Phil

7. - Top - End - #7

I play IG. Shield your heavy weapons with infantry fodder, keep your flagbearer near your conscripts. Hug the cover, especially against nids. Deepstrike your entire army on top of Tau. It doesn't matter if they land on each other, twice that number would have died if you footslogged it. Outnumber the nids in individual combats so you can utilize No Retreat if you win. Drop battle cannon shots on closely packed vehicles or heavy infantry. Don't bother with monstrous creatures, that's what your ratlings are for. (supplemented with Kroot Hunters if you want) Hide your HQ. They suck. At everything. Outfit your platoon HQs with plasma and medics and play them aggressive.

Always remember to fire your battle cannon on the second half of the last turn in a semiclose game that you are controlling and have seventeen men plus a Leman Russ to his tiny four-man Inquisitor retinue that are worth just enough points to render a tie instead of a victory. Ahem, yeah. Did that in my most recent game.

8. - Top - End - #8

I play Sisters-of-Battle-heavy Witch Hunters. My 1850 tourney list is 3 units of Battle Sisters (1 of which is in Rhino), 2 units of Seraphim, 1 unit of Dominions in an Immolator, Penitent Engine, and Exorcist. My HQ is a Canoness, Priest, and Celestian Retinue in a Rhino. This is not an uber powerful build, but it balances between what I have fun playing and what is strategically useful.

WH are a moderately-good-at-everything-not-great-at-one-thing kind of army. They're good at shooting, but most of their weapons are fairly short range. They can deal with close combat; they can tear through melee-weak units like Tau, but low Str and Toughness puts them at a strong disadvantage against things like Nids, or anything with a lot of multiple attacks.

Overall, I find mobility and playing defensively to be the best thing. Rhinos are actually a good thing for Witch Hunters (whereas they may not be as useful for Space Marines). Park and shoot at midrange, try and keep troops out of close combat--use your fast attack and elites for that.

For Sisters of Battle specifically: Careful use of Faith Points are essential. Faith is often what allows Sisters to survive something they ought not. Spirit of the Martyr, which converts Armor Saves to Invuln Saves for one round is a life saver. And don't forget that you gain faith whenever a faithful character dies.

My Penitent Engine largely exists to draw fire. Everyone sees it on the table and freaks; same goes for the Immolator. By the time they destroy them, the rest of my army is in place and is ready to kick butt. I'd honestly get rid of the Engine and accompanying Priest and put in more troops or celestians or something, but frankly, I just think it looks cool and makes a nice speedbu, er, centerpiece to the army.

Favorite unit: Seraphim. They're expensive but worth every point. Upgrading the Superior to Veteran allows for 3d6 die roll on Faith Tests. Their weapons count as twinlinked for shooting and give an extra attack in close combat, and with jump packs they're mobile and can deep strike. But best of all, their Hit and Run ability makes them very helpful, especially against enemies that are slightly better at close combat than they are. If they get assaulted in the enemy's turn and make it through, they can leave the combat and auto-rally. If they aren't so low on numbers as to need to regroup elsewhere, they can then shoot the enemy with their pistols before assaulting the remains again. A very good tactic to use against Space Marines and the like, who are a little tougher than Sisters but still can fall to their bolter fire and a lot of attacks.

I've fought mostly Space Marines and Daemonhunters, and to a lesser extent Chaos Marines. It's important to play defensively versus these guys, but also be sure to get your heavy hitters where they belong and as fast as possible. Acts of Faith that boost your Strength and Saves are useful. I've played vs. Eldar and Dark Eldar and the key with them is to just keep up--the Eldar's speed and sneaky tactics are hard to get around, but if you can manipulate them to hit them dead on, you can shred them to pieces. Tau have the advantage of range, so staying in cover and focusing on getting into close combat is important. Imperial Guard are pretty easy to beat--they have ordnance and strength in numbers, but WH numbers are almost as good, and don't have the long range firepower but good use of Exorcists, Dominions, and Seraphim can take down IG's heavy support pretty easily. I've never played vs Orks or Necrons.

Questions or suggestions welcome.

9. - Top - End - #9

Also, another strategy I came up with. My Crisis and Broadside Suits, plus my Stealth Suits have jetpacks, so they can deep strike. What I do is form a line with my fire warriors, pathfinders, and vehicles, and try to keep the enemy in cover with heavy concentrated fire. Meanwhile, my commander and the deep strikers hit the enemy army from behind while their busy with the entrenched position. :) Ambushes are fun!

Spoiler
    Show

Character List
    Spoiler
    Show

SPARTAN 587
    Lucas's dad, Peter
    Gen the Jackal
    Yigyar the GruntJimmy
    Phil

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

I play Eldar. I usually split my army in half. one half is the static shooting element and it focuses on causing pinning checks. The other half of my army is highly mobile. I use it to perform suicide runs, Hit and Run attacks, or surgical strikes at the enemies fire base depending on my opponent and the situation.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I play Necrons. My general tactic is to slow the enemy down as much as possible and pour firepower in, letting We'll Be Back take care of my few casualties. My Destroyers dart around picking on vehicles and trying to stay out of hand-to-hand, my Warriors shoot, and my Pariahs attack weakened units to make them flee, as Pariahs reduce Leadership to 7.
    Best Moment: Veil of Darkness takes a squad of Pariahs right next to a full squad of Dark Reapers, who then fail their Leadership test due to shooting casualties and run straight into the Pariahs.
    [This signature still in committee.]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I play Orks. My grots, slugga boyz and warboss move the fastest way possible to the enemy lines, the grots taking up all of the wounds or, if they survive, tangle enemy units up(specially tanks, I love the look on my enemy's face when I charge his predator with a squad of gretchin and then blow it up with the slaver's tankbustabombz ) the slugga boyz and the warboss take on the heavily armored guys(choppas give the enemy a 4+ save at best, so MEQ's are a waste of time agaiasnt me )
    Meanwhile the wheels in my army(except the Basilisk, it just sits back and kills ) are going the back way, hugging cover like their teddybears, with the buggy's blocking LoS to the Doomsday pattern Battlewagon(a normal battlewagon with 3 twinlinked big shootas, 5 bolt on bigshootas and a squad of flashgitz with 4 big shootas ). They aim for the 5+ Armour saves. That's about it.
    'nuf said

JOIN THE WAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!
    Paste this banner into your sig and aid in the TOTAL DOMINATION OF THE ORKS!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm, although I havent played for quite some time (due to the fact that my freinds and I discovered d&d recently, and all GW stores are too far away from where I live), I do remember some of my stratagies. I play Tau. So I basically do whatever it takes to keep a large distance between myself and my enemy (ya I know, big suprise). Heh, I esspecially love to play against the slower armys, like Necrons. Thats what my freind plays and by the time he reaches me with his troops (because thats practically all he uses in his army), more than 75% of them are either dead or regenerating. So I let my kroot jump in and fight off with the remaining ones, with my battle suits usually shooting at any not in combat. I try and always have my battle suits do this from a place that provides cover from all of their flanks. Then my firewarriors hop in a devilfish and get as far away from everything as possible. Ya, pretty standard, but it works.
    Last edited by Myatar_Panwar; 2006-12-16 at 03:55 PM.
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

14. - Top - End - #14

I play as a combined force of (Grey Knight loaded) Deamonhunters and requisitioned Space Marines. naturally my forces are geared towards being anti-chaos, but I find them almost as effective against the other races. my tactics mostly consist of flanking my opponent with deep strikes (Grey knight terminators, teleport attack grey knights, space marines), while a spearhead of tanks and grey knights/space marines breaks the enemy's line. Meanwhile I always have a Vindicare Temple Assassin to take out any major (non-daemonic) threats. It pisses my friends off so much when they suddenly find themselves without their HQ units and their remaining forces are completely surrounded.

the catch to using Grey Knights however, is that (in the 40k universe) they are never fielded unless there's a daemonic infestation, so my opponents get an unending tide of lesser daemons on their side... unless they're tyranid or Necron, so I have to fight my way "upstream" to the enemy troops that actually matter. to deal with this I have my non-deep-striking-Grey Knights at the front of my aforementioned spearhead.

mostly I've been playing agains Necrons, but also Imperial guardsmen, chaos (naturally), and orks. all of which I can defeat with ease;

against Necrons: use the Vindicare assassin on these targets -in order of priority-: Monolith, C'tan, Necron Lord(s), anything else. Why do I target the Monolith first? with a Vindicare assassin? because believe it or not, the Vindicare assassin using his Turbo-Penetrator round is THE most effective thing against those mothers. Honestly there's a 37.2% chance that with that single bullet he has, he'll destroy a Monolith in one hit! Meanwhile use as much long range weaponry I can against the remaining forces and have the grey knights assault the biggest groupings, allowing my terminators to use their Holocaust ability to good effect. keep this up until 75% of the necrons are dead.

against imperial guard: assault, assault, tank shock, assault. the guardsman are not the best shots, but enough of them fireing at once is devestating, so close into melee where they're slightly better than useless and victory will be in my grasp.

against orks: let them come to you, preferably in such a way that they'll be under heavy fire and/or flanked the whole way, by the time they get to melee with my terminators (at the front line) they'll be whittled down to a skeleton force. once the tide breaks, it's simply a matter of mopping up the remains before they regroup and come again.

against chaos: against chaos, my forces become EXTREMELY Grey Knight heavy, with just a few space marines, a few vehicles, an inquisitor, and a vindicare assassin. the grey knights will plunge into the thick of the daemons/enemy infantry while the remaining forces give what covering fire they can, and the Vindicare assassin takes care of whatever HQ unit(s) they field unless it's a daemon.

I've yet to face any Dark Eldar, Witchhunters, or Tau, though I've seen matches against the tyranids and eldar. but from what I gather, my stratagy against the (dark/craftworld) eldar is to pin them down and keep them from using their speed, against the 'nids: go ranged but keep plenty of melee fighters at the front, and against tau: vindicare assassin will go for the ethereal and/or commander while the rest of my forces assault the tau.
    Ky is coming...

and unfortunately Ky is hungry...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Kython from the first sentance your army is Illegal, Grey Knights and Requistioned Space Marines can't be used in the same force.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Owl View Post
    Kython from the first sentance your army is Illegal, Grey Knights and Requistioned Space Marines can't be used in the same force.
    bah.
    it's illegal unless the space marines are the base force.
    then I am free to field up to 1 HQ, 1 Elite, 2 troops, and 1 Fast Attack from Deamonhunters.
    you can even look it up: page 21 of the Daemonhunters codex, there's also a picture of such on page 33.
    Last edited by Kython; 2007-01-05 at 12:37 PM.
    Ky is coming...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

So you don't play Daemon Hunters then, you play Space Marines with Daemon Hunter allies. Ha ha Crazy owl strikes again! I knew you could add Daemon Hunters too Space Marines but your wording sounded like you had Grey Knights with Space Marine Allies.

18. - Top - End - #18

the line blurs at times...
    Ky is coming...

19. - Top - End - #19

Tyranids are fun. I've played with my freind's army, and am now working on my own (Hive Fleet consists of two half-asembled Gargoyles (nicknamed "Jubjub Birds" to stay with theme) and a Broodlord, but I think I may have some much-wanted troops on the way when my birthday comes up in a few days).

The tactic that I plan to go with: Go with as large unit sizes as possible, get to my enemies and rip them apart with rending claws and scything talons. The centerpiece will be a suped up Carnifax, aka: the Jaborwok. I can't wait to get one!

Although, if I had to be anything else, I'd probably be Tau, simply for the morals. I hate the Empire, and the Tau seem to dovetail with my interests. But Tyranids are fun, and go better with my perfered tactics.
    Last edited by Mr. Moon; 2007-01-09 at 05:02 PM.
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Right now in my Battle Sisters army I am putting together:
    1 Saint Celestine HQ
    1 Inquisitor Lord & Retinue (HQ) (Vet. Guardsman, Scribe, Acolyte)
    3 Sisters of Battle Squads, 10 woman, one with Imagifer (Troop)
    3 Penitent Engines in one squadron (Heavy Support)
    1 Unit of 13 Sisters Repentia (Elite) with attached priest.
    1 Immolator (Heavy Support)
    1 Seraphim Squad (Fast attack) 6 models strong.

My thought is to use the Immolator and the Penitents as a screen, allowing my Repentia to engage the vehicles and heavy/super shooty troops without being fired upon as much, and get the sisters into position to light up the less important units. Celestine and the Seraphim can cherry pick units that need hacked to peices fast, such as heavy weapons teams etc.

I am just really excited to see someone's face when 13 Repentia charge, rolling 26 str 6 attacks that ignore infantry armor, and roll 2d6 vs vehicles, as well as rerolling misses from the priest.

Any tips or suggestions from anyone? I am just starting the game, so anything would be good.
    Spoiler
    Show

Logic Ninja : Oh my god that was beautiful. Man. I... wow. This thread can be locked now, Wehrkind won it. Here
    "We know Elvis is dead for any relevant values of certain." - BWL
    I am now offering conversion to my Church of Stabiclese, Neutral God of Buffing Up and Whacking Things, Regardless of Facing. All those who love either "Buffing Up" or "Whacking Things" and don't particularly care about which direction the target is facing at the time are welcome!

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Wehrkind View Post
    Right now in my Battle Sisters army I am putting together:
    1 Saint Celestine HQ
    1 Inquisitor Lord & Retinue (HQ)
    3 Sisters of Battle Squads, 10 woman, one with Imagifer (Troop)
    3 Penitent Engines in one squadron (Heavy Support)
    1 Unit of 13 Sisters Repentia (Elite) with attached priest.
    1 Immolator (Heavy Support)
    1 Seraphim Squad (Fast attack) 6 models strong.
    General thoughts on the army list:

If you're using an uber-HQ like Saint Celestine, you do NOT need a second HQ, especially point-sink like an Inquisitor Lord. Choose one or the other. I'd personally lean towards Celestine, but depending on the rest of your army and how you want to equip the Lord, you might keep the Inquisitor instead. And in fact, since Celestine has a minimum point requirement, you might go with the Inq because then you can scale down and up more easily.

3 SOB squads GOOD. Important to have lots of troops and shooting. I might put one or two of those units in an APC though. Get them into 24" range so they can hit the enemy.

3 Penitent Engine squad.... eh. Actually, that's okay. Good H-t-H in a list that isn't otherwise close-combat list. Know however that Penitents are lightly armored... mine's always the first thing that gets blown up. Now, you have 3 so they're a little more survivable. If you haven't bought the parts yet, I'd say proxy the three and see how you like their performance toward committing it.

I know you're excited about them, and I wish I had a kind way of putting this, but sometimes you have to be frank: Repentia SUCK. They are so so so not worth it. Expensive, slow, poorly armored, and way way way too dependent on die roll luck to be useful. Especially since with their Eviscerators they always attack last. By the time you get them into close combat, most of them will be dead. They don't even have faith. Moreover, with 3 Penitent Engines who will mop the floor with any of your close combat needs, Repentia will just be a redundant point sink. The only point of Repentia is the cheesecake factor. Distract your opponents with the cleavage, and then move your figures around while he's not looking in the right place But seriously, no. Repentia are awful. If you feel bound and determined to have Elites, go with Arco-Flagellants (all the good parts about Repentia and none of the bad) or Celestians (actually competent at what they do and far more likely to survive with Power Armor, Faith, and guns).

Immolator: No point to one of these unless you've got some Retributors or Dominions inside. That, and your army is remarkably poor in anti-tank weaponry. For your second heavy support slot, put in a Retributor squad w/ Multimeltas inside your Immolator (with whatever weapons you like on that) or invest in an Exorcist (though mind you, the Citadel Exorcist is a pain to assemble). (Dropping the second HQ and the Repentia will give you the points you need to do this).

Pump up your Seraphim to a 10-woman squad. Use them to Deep Strike when rules allow. Make sure they have a veteran.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmmm.... troubling. My plan with the Repentia was to exploit their 2d6 armor penetration, while running them in behind the Penitents, who, being vehicles, would block LOS. I agree that they are somewhat less than exciting when it comes to chopping up decent melee troops though. I suppose their being infantry makes them a little slow to be tank killers, even if they get the 12" move every turn.

The Inquisitor Lord was my original HQ before I realized I almost had enough girls for a 1500 point army with Celestine (I bought her for the fun painting before I even decided I wanted the army). I figure I will keep them around as an HQ for lower point games, unless I decide to get a Cannoness, which I should given the theme. I honestly am not terribly thrilled with the Inquisitor business, but the game store didn't have much in the way of Sisters blisters, and at buy 2 get 1 60% off, I took what I could make.

With Serephim, can I rely on them as anti-tank troops? The melta grenades seem really slick for ganking tanks in close combat.

The immolator is there because I got it cheap off eBay (along with 3 penitents). Would it be better to remove the flamers and call it a rhino?

I am trying to make a mostly Sister army, admitedly as part of an elaborate joke, but I really want it to actually work. Hopefully without arco flagellents, and without assassins or other more inquisitorial elements. I dig the penitent engines though. Mostly for "Shoot me instead of the freaky-deaky S&M chicks with chainsaw swords" factor.

I intend to get an Exorcist since a little shop here had one (I was an idiot and didn't buy it, only to find the Gamesworkshop store in Philly didn't have one) and I was thinking some ranged support would be a great idea. Would melta guns in the SoB squads be a good stopgap for Retributors or Dominions to get the anti-tank punch? I am nervous about having a dedicated anti-tank unit instead of spreading out the love for fear of having it nuked one way or another, and being reliant on aforementioned chainswords.

Addendum:
    Presuming I am aiming for a 2000 point army (which doesn't seem hard with some of the wargear options) I am considering punting the inquisitor, or at least making him an elite instead of hq, and perhaps putting in a souped up Cannoness (Cloak of Aspira, Blessed Weapon, Holy book) and her retinue of Celestians (figuring on a stronger melee presence.) So that, the Exorcist, and then I start looking at options for anti-tank. I would like 5 more Seraphim for their all around goodness, and a small Retributor unit for punch in an immolator.

Now, to fill out the last few points, does a Vindicare assassin perform as well as it seems to? What about orbital strike? The Vindicare seems decent for killing (1) vehicle, and picking off annoying figures such as Sgts and other men with tricks. The Orbital Bombardment seems like awkward area denial, but at the same time I can see that being useful for forcing units out of cover and off of strong points, as well as choking off convenient avenues of assault. So I suppose my question is, are these two worth the time?

Also, I was looking at the ArcoFlaggelents again, and I do not really see why they are better than Repentia. Two less str, two more toughness, same initative (last) two less leadership (irrelevant) and a special ability that gets them killed when it really works. I must be missing something. Is it the invulnerable save? Always getting an armor save is pretty sweet, but I don't know that it is really too fantasic. Granted, in this case it would keep heavy bolter wounds from being instant kills. I just don't have the experience to know if that is worth it or not. It seems like only heavy weapons are going to blow through 4+ save. Those and plasma. Hmmm.
    Last edited by Wehrkind; 2007-01-10 at 04:55 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Logic Ninja : Oh my god that was beautiful. Man. I... wow. This thread can be locked now, Wehrkind won it. Here
    "We know Elvis is dead for any relevant values of certain." - BWL
    I am now offering conversion to my Church of Stabiclese, Neutral God of Buffing Up and Whacking Things, Regardless of Facing. All those who love either "Buffing Up" or "Whacking Things" and don't particularly care about which direction the target is facing at the time are welcome!

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Wehrkind View Post
    Hmmm.... troubling. My plan with the Repentia was to exploit their 2d6 armor penetration, while running them in behind the Penitents, who, being vehicles, would block LOS.
    Double check on that; I'm not sure if an open-topped walker does (but I could be wrong).

The other problem with running them behind the Penitents is that you're likely going to end up with uneven distance between them, as Penitents will ALWAYS Holy Rage (getting their extra 1d6 of movement) and Repentia will only MAYBE be subject to Holy Rage. Also, a canny opponent is going to exploit the fact that Penitents HAVE to move towards the closest enemy--they'll move a speedbump towards you that the Penitents will get to first, leaving your Repentia open.

I agree that they are somewhat less than exciting when it comes to chopping up decent melee troops though. I suppose their being infantry makes them a little slow to be tank killers, even if they get the 12" move every turn.
    And you're hoping for really ideal conditions if they get their fastest movement.

What I don't like about Repentia is that both their special rules are very dependent on die-luck--neither auto-activate. IF you roll a 1 or 2 you can Holy Rage; IF you fail Morale you can rush the enemy... I know at least with my luck, those things would never happen in my favor when I needed them to.

Also, depending on how a board is set up terrain-wise, your Repentia could get stuck somewhere where they're not going to really be able to charge forward where they should (yeah, Holy Rage movement ignores diff terrain, but that's it).

The Inquisitor Lord was my original HQ before I realized I almost had enough girls for a 1500 point army with Celestine (I bought her for the fun painting before I even decided I wanted the army). I figure I will keep them around as an HQ for lower point games, unless I decide to get a Cannoness, which I should given the theme. I honestly am not terribly thrilled with the Inquisitor business, but the game store didn't have much in the way of Sisters blisters, and at buy 2 get 1 60% off, I took what I could make.
    Hey, that's cool. I've got a Canoness, Celestine, and something to make an IL with just for fun (I use a Canoness in my list, which I'll have to post at some point). And 60% off is always good.

With Serephim, can I rely on them as anti-tank troops? The melta grenades seem really slick for ganking tanks in close combat.
    Seraphim are a decent choice for anti-tanking, as they're very mobile with their jump packs. You don't even really need Meltabombs... equip a squad with 1 or 2 Inferno Pistols--especially since they're twin linked, you'll likely shoot the thing to pieces before needing to assault, and if you do need to assault, their default krak grenades should do fine. The only bad thing with IPs is their short range (only 3") but if that keeps you out of range should you accidentally blow the tank up, that's good.

Seraphim are a flexible unit--you can adapt them for anti-tank or for assault as you need.

The immolator is there because I got it cheap off eBay (along with 3 penitents). Would it be better to remove the flamers and call it a rhino?
    I'd be more inclined to stick 6 Dominions or Retribs in the Immolator and keep it as that. But Rhinos can be useful too.

I am trying to make a mostly Sister army, admitedly as part of an elaborate joke, but I really want it to actually work. Hopefully without arco flagellents, and without assassins or other more inquisitorial elements. I dig the penitent engines though. Mostly for "Shoot me instead of the freaky-deaky S&M chicks with chainsaw swords" factor.
    I agree... somehow the Inq elements seem less intriguing.

I intend to get an Exorcist since a little shop here had one (I was an idiot and didn't buy it, only to find the Gamesworkshop store in Philly didn't have one) and I was thinking some ranged support would be a great idea. Would melta guns in the SoB squads be a good stopgap for Retributors or Dominions to get the anti-tank punch?
    It can't hurt, if you can afford it. And if you can afford one, try to afford two.

I am nervous about having a dedicated anti-tank unit instead of spreading out the love for fear of having it nuked one way or another,
    Then Seraphim might be your best choice, as they're flexible and very survivable, especially with faith.

Addendum:
    Presuming I am aiming for a 2000 point army (which doesn't seem hard with some of the wargear options) I am considering punting the inquisitor, or at least making him an elite instead of hq, and perhaps putting in a souped up Cannoness (Cloak of Aspira, Blessed Weapon, Holy book) and her retinue of Celestians (figuring on a stronger melee presence.) So that, the Exorcist, and then I start looking at options for anti-tank. I would like 5 more Seraphim for their all around goodness, and a small Retributor unit for punch in an immolator.
    If you're going to have an Exorcist, I probably wouldn't bother with Retributors then, and maybe bulk up your Canoness's (or Inq's) Retinue instead.

Now, to fill out the last few points, does a Vindicare assassin perform as well as it seems to?
    For 110 points, I'd rather have another 10 Sister squad than 1 assassin, personally. Or 5 Seraphim. Or add 25 points and take an Exorcist. And if I were to use an Assassin, I'd probably go with Callidus instead. OTOH, they are certainly effective in what they do. YMMV.

What about orbital strike?
    No! Too expensive, too many variables in how effective it is.

Also, I was looking at the ArcoFlaggelents again, and I do not really see why they are better than Repentia. Two less str, two more toughness,
    It's the 2 more toughness--trust me, a toughness of 5 is waaaaaaay better than a toughness of 3. They have the same armor save, but they are more likely to survive into Close Combat unscathed, whereas the Repentia will almost undoubtedly take casualties before they get to strike.

But I don't really like Arco Flagellants much easier--I'd just take them over Repentia.

Is it the invulnerable save? Always getting an armor save is pretty sweet, but I don't know that it is really too fantasic.
    Tell that to your Repentia when they get hit by a no-need-for-line-of-sight Ordnance barrage that the Arco Flagellants could possibly have shrugged off.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally bothered to calculate the point cost to my army. got 44 points to spend to top off at 1000 points.

the army is :
    1 Brood Lord with a retinue of 8 genestealers (all of them have toxic sack biomorph).
    16 hormogaunts, all with toxic sacs.
    2 groups of gaunst, one with spine fists, one with flesh borers. Both have "Without Numbers".
    3 Ripper swarms.
    1 Zoanthrope with Warp Blast and Synapse Creature as its chosen psycic abilities.
    3 warriors. 1 with death spitter and scything talons. 1 with death spitter and rending claws and 1 with 2 sets of scything talons(the second of which I accidentally took from the Carnifex sprue :P)
    And my Carnifex with the following Bio Morphs:Adrenal Glands,Extended Carapace, Bonded Exo-skeleton,Reinforced Chitin,Enchanced Senses,Spine Banks,Tail Weapon:Scythe,Flesh Hooks. And as weapons it has: Twin-Linked Devourers, and a set of Scything Talons.

Any constructive criticism is welcome and I know of my lack of a fast attack choice.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeathQuaker View Post
    For 110 points, I'd rather have another 10 Sister squad than 1 assassin, personally. Or 5 Seraphim. Or add 25 points and take an Exorcist. And if I were to use an Assassin, I'd probably go with Callidus instead. OTOH, they are certainly effective in what they do. YMMV.
    I think it really depends on what you're fighting. If I were fighting Necrons, I think I'd want a vindicare or two on my side.

Some things are better left in the darkest places...
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Steam

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

The only armies Vindicares are really good against, are those with expensive squad leaders.

Chaos for example, can have this problem. I've personally played armies where every squad leader was maxed out on wargear. A vindicare against one of those armies, would get back its points every turn(With a little luck), and cripple the chaos assault power. Chaos is the biggest offender for that, but Space Marines and Eldar are the same. With the Imperial guard you can use it to take out all those annoying Comissars with power fists.

Crud against Orks, because their unit leaders woul take maybe three turns to kill on average with sniper fire.

Necrons, Tau, Tyranids, Dark Eldar, Black Templars have weak unit leaders. So the ability isn't all that useful. Although an AP2 sniper rifle can be of aid against the big guys.

Honestly, in most situations, a regular squad of troopers will be of more use.

I think it really depends on what you're fighting. If I were fighting Necrons, I think I'd want a vindicare or two on my side.
    Really? Necrons have absolutely no unit characters, no special weapon troopers.... I'd say some Storm Troopers with plasma rifles would stand you far better.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    Really? Necrons have absolutely no unit characters, no special weapon troopers.... I'd say some Storm Troopers with plasma rifles would stand you far better.
    I say vindicares for one reason: Necron lords are not fun, and having a unit who can potentially harm (or kill if you're lucky and he's not) a Necron lord will cause it a lot of fear and frustration and give you a chance.

You are right, though, in most situations I'd rather have another squad on my side.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is that when ever I ask people for critique on my army the subject changes :P

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    Why is that when ever I ask people for critique on my army the subject changes :P
    Nobody loves you. :P

But seriously, I don't know enough about 'nids to make a good balanced critique on it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose that would be the reason