New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default It's a Wonderful World! ...or it will be

That's right, you guessed it! I need help/advice/aid/tips/ideas for a campagin world. This is my first one and I'm just looking for genera advice, nothing specific just wondering if anyone has tips for newbies?
    here's the world so far:
    Spoiler
    Show

So yeah. Basically The North is called Winterfray (home to dwarves and their underground cities with snow...lots of snow.), the West is caled Greenborough (home to humans, mostly green valleys with a few hills and swamps), the South is called Galahad (a giant forest island home to Elves) and the East is The Lost Sands (desert wasteland).

I want this to be a really original world with few cliche...ness. Thanks for the help/ideas
    Spoiler
    Show
    Proud Activist of The Goblinoid Sub-Type
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre
    Let us all hail to the might of Lerky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowsen
    Lerky, you have proven once again, that you are a being of tremendous might.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dar
    Now that you are a god o mighty Lerky,we must strat building a temple to honor and worship your name.[and art]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: It's a Wonderful World! ...or it will be

First off, you need to put this over in homebrew.

That said, wow, kickass map!

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Harperfan7 View Post
    First off, you need to put this over in homebrew.

That said, wow, kickass map!
    woah...what in the world am I thinking, you're right. You'd figure a year on this forum would mean something
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now that you are a god o mighty Lerky,we must strat building a temple to honor and worship your name.[and art]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, the names and places/ways the races live are pretty cliche.

How about eskimos, tropical above ground dwarves, boring industry loving elves, and no desert. Too many cliches there.

Also Lerky, how will people reasonably get from the south to the north?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar, and many thanks, to Nevitan!

Thanks to Lubirio for the calligraphy signature!

Quotes and Links:

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder1995 View Post
    Lupy, you have officially reached that point known as 'awesome'.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinsar View Post
    You win Lupy!
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFox View Post
    It had nothing to do with the damn parakeet!
    A little song about the internet.

To the Dancing Fox Inn!

PM me about Linux!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

You should probably decide if the world is going to be high magic or low magic. That was you can handle things like communication and transportation right off the bat.
    Oh, you. You just couldn't let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptible, aren't you? Huh? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won't kill you because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever. - Joker

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lupy View Post

How about eskimos, tropical above ground dwarves, boring industry loving elves, and no desert. Too many cliches there.

Boats. Zepplins. Teleportation. Giant Bats. The sheer power of their AWESOME. I have no idea (those those five are pretty cool). Good question. Lerky?

Also, I recommend that you consider the technological level of the world. Is it high magic? High tech? Low both? Low one or the other?

What about the divinity level? Are the gods omnipresent and all-important (read: Forgotten Realms on speed)? Are they barely even there (read: Eberron)? Some happy medium?

Last bit: concerning cliches, don't necessarily worry about them. Make something that stirs your imagination. They aren't some great evil, just a touch overused. If you have two great ideas, and one's cliched, use the other. Otherwise, meh, who really cares. If it's well thought out and interesting, it's no biggie.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Lupy View Post

well...okay touche. But I don't want to stray too far from the original ideas of fantasy. I'm mainy looking for interesting things like "Magic illegal" but not exactly as drastic as that
    I still need the originals like "Dwarves mine and like beer" and "Elves like trees" but I need something to make it diverse. I'm not really sure how to describe it now, once I get a good grasp on words I'll describe it.

The reason there's a lot of water is because cultures rarely infuence each other in this world and it's simple: "by boat"
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrascythe View Post
    You should probably decide if the world is going to be high magic or low magic. That was you can handle things like communication and transportation right off the bat.
    I've always perfered a low magic media where it's feared and respected but very few know how to use it.

On a side-note I PMed a mod to move this thread to Homebrew when he gets the time.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Last bit: concerning cliches, don't necessarily worry about them. Make something that stirs your imagination. They aren't some great evil, just a touch overused. If you have two great ideas, and one's cliched, use the other. Otherwise, meh, who really cares. If it's well thought out and interesting, it's no biggie.
    I agree. Most fantasy is clichéd anyways and there's not too much you can do about it. Just don't make it too painful and people won't care. If you go really nuts you might try looking at some random literature and seeing if anything there gives you an "Ah HA!" moment.
    Oh, you. You just couldn't let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You are truly incorruptible, aren't you? Huh? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won't kill you because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever. - Joker

9. - Top - End - #9

Also, I recommend that you consider the technological level of the world. Is it high magic? High tech? Low both? Low one or the other?

What about the divinity level? Are the gods omnipresent and all-important (read: Forgotten Realms on speed)? Are they barely even there (read: Eberron)? Some happy medium?
    The magic is pretty low and mysterious. But their tech is pretty high, not like they're using lasers or pistols or bombs aready. More like they know what they're doing and they do it well, like Ancient Romans. They weren't sparking fires with rocks, but they weren't blowing things up yet either.

As for divinity...I'm trying to get a file that has all my so far notes of this world onto here. I think the gods are a bit more obscure and now a big part of society, but they're not ignored.

I agree. Most fantasy is clichéd anyways and there's not too much you can do about it. Just don't make it too painful and people won't care. If you go really nuts you might try looking at some random literature and seeing if anything there gives you an "Ah HA!" moment.
    yeah, I know this I'm mainly looking for something interesting like a city populated only by undead (which I have done) or another city that was built over the ocean (also done).
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

This makes me want to play around with my campaign world...I miss it. How did you do your map? It's really awesome!
    I'd like to thank CrimsonAngel for the awesome avatar.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Jølly View Post
    This makes me want to play around with my campaign world...I miss it. How did you do your map? It's really awesome!
    messing with campagin worlds is the most fun ever. Sadly I constantly have writers block

anyway here's the site it uses fractals to randomly generate a world. I of course had to photoshop it a bit to finally get my liking but I enjoy the way it turned out.

here's my (so far) notes. They're a bit long.
    Spoiler
    Show

Highfaeth

Highfaeth is the name of the world in which the majority of our campagins will take place in. It is the birthplace of many races. It was blessed by the Titans who created the world until they were usurped of their power.

Geographic Features

The world of Highfaeth is composed of four major regions, The North (Winterfray), The West (Greenborough), The South (Galahad), and The East (Lost Sands). Each one is made up of several continents. The world of Londiren actually has several smaller islands that have not yet been discovered on the East side of The Lost Sands.

History

Points of Interest
    The most interesting city in all of Highfaeth, arguably, is Underworld. A city entirely populated by Undead freed from the state of mindlessness shared by most Undead. It was originally started by Korenae Duskwalker, an elven warrior whom was banished from her house due to being spawned as a vampire. In fury she slew all the members of her house, having nothing else she made a small settlement for other cast out vampires like her. It took a few years but soon all sorts of undead joined Underworld such as Wights, Ghouls, Mohrgs, and even Mummies from the far East. The city is very small but walls surround the city that are 10 times as big as the buildings and twice as thick. The reason behind this is that there are many Paladins whom have tried to breach the walls of Underworld and slay the “mockeries of life”. A few important buildings are the temple of ???. The only church in the city run by a devout Mummy priest. The only inn is The Severed Gauntlet Inn, a shabby tavern run by a ghoul named Gob. The tallest building is the Ziggurat, a massive, intimidating, building which houses Xanardon Fatefang, the current ruler of Underworld.

Next we have the City of Stormalot. An entire city built over water. It was used as a rest stop for ships traveling from Whiteborough to Galahad. However, the government that set up the site had neglected it, not sending in supplies regularly, not sending in people to keep the law (many that were sent died on the ship ride there), and soon the city succumbed to corruption. The city is corrupt and is legally run by Horhand Shipsail but everyone knows the city if controlled by Tyber Zan, a local crime lord. He was originally Lt. of the soldiers sent to keep peace in the city, but as his men slowly gave way to corruption (demanding money from citizens, and business, kidnapping, acts of intimidation, etc.) he saw the potential. He gathered what men he had that were corrupted and made them aid him into taking over the city by slowly corrupting it.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lerky View Post
    The magic is pretty low and mysterious. But their tech is pretty high, not like they're using lasers or pistols or bombs aready. More like they know what they're doing and they do it well, like Ancient Romans. They weren't sparking fires with rocks, but they weren't blowing things up yet either.
    Are they progressing towards normal tech, magi-tech, or steampunk? Also, how does the magic play with the technology? Are wizards and scientist getting together? Are they at odds?

As for divinity...I'm trying to get a file that has all my so far notes of this world onto here. I think the gods are a bit more obscure and now a big part of society, but they're not ignored.
    So... if I get this right, they more like the God Emperor of Mankind from Warhammer 40k? They're the gods on earth that rise to positions of great power and then go out conquering and ruling over people?

yeah, I know this I'm mainly looking for something interesting like a city populated only by undead (which I have done) or another city that was built over the ocean (also done).
    Maybe you can have a city floating around traveling from continent to continent?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, here's some ideas for towns/societies then:
    -Base one empire off of Warhammer 40k's Imperium of Man. They have lots of hyper-advanced (relatively) technology, but they don't actually know how it works, and keep it going with prayer to their head of state, a being in suspended animation enthroned in their palace.
    -Have a city that is built inside of a massive thundercloud. It uses the electricity generated by the storm system in the cloud to run the city's magical anti-gravity generators or whatever.
    -Make there be a cult somewhere that claims the gods live amongst the people of the world. This cult is derided as heretical by most people, but they continue with their blasphemies, claiming that the end of days is coming, and only the chosen will be saved. The truth is, of course, up to you....

I might return with a few more ideas soon. Hope these spark the imagination.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

If you really wanted to take a blow at someone then you could have a group of environmentalists that think that this crazy new fangled technology is going to destroy the world. These guys may want to go to a magic only system so as not to angry the gods of magic and all that jazz.

I think it would also be interesting to have a place of interest like the Draco Tavern created by Larry Niven. A bar that caters to anything and anyone, especially those that are non-human. This place can have all kinds of crazy drinks and foodstuffs.

15. - Top - End - #15

Are they progressing towards normal tech, magi-tech, or steampunk? Also, how does the magic play with the technology? Are wizards and scientist getting together? Are they at odds?

So... if I get this right, they more like the God Emperor of Mankind from Warhammer 40k? They're the gods on earth that rise to positions of great power and then go out conquering and ruling over people?

Maybe you can have a city floating around traveling from continent to continent?
    Well magic is more secretive and subtle, and there's not a lot of people who use it. And there's no scientists...yet. It's still a medieval world.

Well the gods were originally three Titans, but after the titans began dying due to a mysterious illness that can only affect the immortal, they chose a small group of people and rose them to godhood. They didn't make these new gods immortal, for fear that they'd just gain the disease like the Titans. These gods now rule over their people from the safety of spread out planes.

That's a pretty cool idea

Hmm, here's some ideas for towns/societies then:
    -Base one empire off of Warhammer 40k's Imperium of Man. They have lots of hyper-advanced (relatively) technology, but they don't actually know how it works, and keep it going with prayer to their head of state, a being in suspended animation enthroned in their palace.
    -Have a city that is built inside of a massive thundercloud. It uses the electricity generated by the storm system in the cloud to run the city's magical anti-gravity generators or whatever.
    -Make there be a cult somewhere that claims the gods live amongst the people of the world. This cult is derided as heretical by most people, but they continue with their blasphemies, claiming that the end of days is coming, and only the chosen will be saved. The truth is, of course, up to you....

I might return with a few more ideas soon. Hope these spark the imagination.
    hm...these are also some pretty darn cool ideas. I'll make sure to write them down
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

I like the subtlety of the magic. That means that finding magic gear is probably going to be pretty difficult. How will people overall respond to high level casters who are painfully obvious? Or is this a case where magic is still there, but it's Gandalf type magic where it's used only when it's necessary?

Is there any way for these mortal gods to become immortal? Or do the remaining immortals just keep appointing the leaders of mankind? Either way, cool stuff.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Here's another good idea or two:

-Unknown to the gods (who think them dead), the Titans have discovered a cure for their ailment, and have successfully applied it to themselves. Now, with renewed interest in the world, they are watching and gathering servants to themselves. For what purpose, none, not even the gods, are sure.

-A Spelljammer descends from the sky into the largest city in the world. The crew is all dead from some unknown disease and the world's leaders are in a blind panic over what this damn thing IS and what to do with it. After a few days, another 'jammer appears in the sky, broadcasting a message that demands the return of the other 'jammer and it's crew. Unfortunately, the damaged ship has vanished, and no one seems to know what happened to it. (Twist on "aliens descend and demand stuff")

EDIT: Something involving the Far Realm is never bad. Lol indescribable horrors from the beyond.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2009-04-10 at 09:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

I like the subtlety of the magic. That means that finding magic gear is probably going to be pretty difficult. How will people overall respond to high level casters who are painfully obvious? Or is this a case where magic is still there, but it's Gandalf type magic where it's used only when it's necessary?

Is there any way for these mortal gods to become immortal? Or do the remaining immortals just keep appointing the leaders of mankind? Either way, cool stuff.
    People will react with terms of respect. In most civilized cultures magic isn't feared, just a majority of people can't learn it. A group of people however know that where magic goes trouble is most likely to follow. They may even have small secret society like the Freemasons or something.
    So it's not really "only used when necessary" it's just really really hard to get.

They don't want to become immortal, for fear of contacting the virus. Although a few dark gods might seek this out anyway...

They can be killed, but they were given such extreme power to keep people from killing them.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

I like the idea of dwarves living in an arctic environment (rather than plain old mountains and such) Maybe you could try to blend in some Inuit culture? That would make for some interesting dwarves.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Irate Ranger View Post
    I like the idea of dwarves living in an arctic environment (rather than plain old mountains and such) Maybe you could try to blend in some Inuit culture? That would make for some interesting dwarves.
    I planned for them to live in giant underground caverns that spread for miles. But you know, that could actually be pretty cool to.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

I planned for them to live in giant underground caverns that spread for miles. But you know, that could actually be pretty cool to.
    Are these natural cave systems or are they caves that the dwarves dug out themselves.. so mines?

Maybe one of the Dwarven lords can live in a cave system like Lechuguilla? And another like Carlsbad. You know, several well known rulers be in some of the most well known or the world's caves, and have each cave system be really unique.

22. - Top - End - #22

Are these natural cave systems or are they caves that the dwarves dug out themselves.. so mines?

Maybe one of the Dwarven lords can live in a cave system like Lechuguilla? And another like Carlsbad. You know, several well known rulers be in some of the most well known or the world's caves, and have each cave system be really unique.
    They started out as natural caves that the Dwarves might of expanded. But not exactly mines, they don't mine they just dig a cavern big enough for a few metropolises to stand in but they don't look for gold ro something.

You know, that's not a half bad idea. Thanks
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

My advice is go and do some research on human cultures outside of the standard European Medieval with maybe some Feudal Japan over there template, and incorporate them into the campaign as your main cultures, human or otherwise. All sorts of great stuff out there - pre-colonial India, the Byzantine Empire, Ancient Eygpt...or better yet, more obscure ones.

For a great city, look at Sarejevo or maybe 15th century Granada instead of Rome or London. There's endless possibilities, and historians have already done most of the owrk for you.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

No love for my second bevy of ideas Lerky? Shucks...

Meh, they weren't amazing, but I liked the Titan Cure idea.

25. - Top - End - #25

sorry I had dinner

these ideas are all good and I'm writing them down
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

No love for my second bevy of ideas Lerky? Shucks...

Meh, they weren't amazing, but I liked the Titan Cure idea.
    I'm sure he just liked your ideas so much that he's speechless ;)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sure he just liked your ideas so much that he's speechless ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lerky
    sorry I had dinner

these ideas are all good and I'm writing them down
    I like her explanation better.

Anyways, I'm thinking about other stuff (I personally really like the Titan Cure idea though, really). Ooh, here's a new one:

-In the center of the ocean, a new empire has risen from the deeps. A fleet of deep-sea ships, crewed by aquatic squid creatures with strange mental powers (re-fluffed illithids and aboleths) has used their city-ships and magical prowess to create a chain of islands. The nations of the world, concerned about this new development, are putting together expeditions to ascertain the allegiances of these creatures.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

I like her explanation better.

Anyways, I'm thinking about other stuff (I personally really like the Titan Cure idea though, really). Ooh, here's a new one:
    Yeah, we know you like it ;) You're really likin' that really cool idea you have there, really. :P

-In the center of the ocean, a new empire has risen from the deeps. A fleet of deep-sea ships, crewed by aquatic squid creatures with strange mental powers (re-fluffed illithids and aboleths) has used their city-ships and magical prowess to create a chain of islands. The nations of the world, concerned about this new development, are putting together expeditions to ascertain the allegiances of these creatures.
    And their steeds are the creatures of the sea and their guardians are great whales. I like that. :)

Maybe you could also have holes that link the planes together. That would leave certain areas completely infested with demons or devils that got through. They would be the badlands so to speak.

29. - Top - End - #29

In the center of the ocean, a new empire has risen from the deeps. A fleet of deep-sea ships, crewed by aquatic squid creatures with strange mental powers (re-fluffed illithids and aboleths) has used their city-ships and magical prowess to create a chain of islands. The nations of the world, concerned about this new development, are putting together expeditions to ascertain the allegiances of these creatures.
    Nice, very nice. By city-ships you mean something like Rivet City from Fallout 3 (a giant city built on an air-craft carrier. It can't move, but these cities could).
    Yeah, we know you like it ;) You're really likin' that really cool idea you have there, really. :P
    THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID...sorry...I usually never do that...

Maybe you could also have holes that link the planes together. That would leave certain areas completely infested with demons or devils that got through. They would be the badlands so to speak.
    THAT. IS. AWSOME!
    That is by far going in the book
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Not really like Rivet City. Remember, they used to live deep under the surface of the sea. Think giant coral formations that they turned into cities. Now, they released the moorings to the coral and let them float upwards toward the surface. Once there, they tethered them all together, and rechained them to the ocean's floor. So, you have a bunch of giant coral cities that sorta drift about with the tides, but never hit anything, since they're still chained to ocean floor, just by a lot longer now.

Also, what do you mean by holes, Katrascythe? You mean places where the planar boundaries are thin, so the planes overlap? Or do you mean LITERAL holes in the ground that lead places infested with demons/devils/whatever?