New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Manga Thread

Yeah, in Itos manga, I always think he's doing everything a little bit tongue in cheek. Uzumaki doesn't exactly have jokes, but there's still funny stuff in it.

Well, and Gyo is about Zombie Land Sharks.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

All of Junji Ito's work will give you one of two reactions. Either you'll be disturbed out of your pants, or you'll laugh. All of his works. Yes, even his autobiographical manga about his cats (I'm not kidding). And judging from that manga series about cats that he wrote, I agree that he know it and do it on purpose.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Just finished Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. It was beautiful. I think I'll read Priest next as a change in pace. Shame Lucifer doesn't have any official English translations. It's so short. I'd buy it all up in a jiffy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

It does. Jmanga has Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

I picked up almost the full set of Trigun Maximum at long last, as I'm a manga fledgling. The last two books got snagged away from the store before I could get them, though...
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    It does. Jmanga has Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer.
    Hmm. So they do. But only the first volumes. I must explore further, because I know I read that there was no translation.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I picked up almost the full set of Trigun Maximum at long last, as I'm a manga fledgling. The last two books got snagged away from the store before I could get them, though...
    Try Amazon. 2 volumes should get you close to the $25 free shipping and then you can get something tiny you need or a third volume of something else you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    All of Junji Ito's work will give you one of two reactions. Either you'll be disturbed out of your pants, or you'll laugh. All of his works. Yes, even his autobiographical manga about his cats (I'm not kidding). And judging from that manga series about cats that he wrote, I agree that he know it and do it on purpose.
    See...I've had neither of those reactions and I've read his Tomie, Gyo and most of Uzumaki until I got to the only reaction I've ever had with his work. I got bored. So bored.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

I have recently started reading Katekyo Hitman REborn... soemtimes it makes sense, ofttimes it doesn't and I'm not really sure if I want to stop reading or not...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    I have recently started reading Katekyo Hitman REborn... soemtimes it makes sense, ofttimes it doesn't and I'm not really sure if I want to stop reading or not...
    I couldn't even begin reading. The story takes so long to start!

EDIT: Just read chapter 37 of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Tears were shed.
    Last edited by ThiagoMartell; 2012-11-07 at 11:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    I couldn't even begin reading. The story takes so long to start!

EDIT: Just read chapter 37 of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Tears were shed.
    Well, round 78 or something the story finally takes off and picks up pace... At the moment I'm reading 210 and the story is actually captivating of sorts. oh and the fanservice is the precisionstrike kind. Very rare, and when it happens it defiantely works out as a coverpage
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Legend of Koizumi.

Best manga or bestest manga ever?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

I liked it until chapter...39? 40? Anyway, when it starts being all about Japanese politics and how anybody who isn't the LDP are both pathetic and pure evil. Bad political satire about a foreign country just isn't that interesting.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I just started Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Seems promising so far.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I'd go to Art and Crafts if I were you.

So who else here reads Blue Exorcist?
    I picked up Blue Exorcist about a month ago. I'm now a huge fan

14. - Top - End - #44

I'll also recommend the lucifer and the biscuit hammer to any manga fans who haven't picked it up yet, great story.

Blue Exorcist is also Interesting it's a shame it doesn't update more often.

other suggestions:

Pandora Hearts
    Watashi ni xx shinasai (Romance)
    Psyren
    Bartender
    Mirai Nikki are all quite decent if you haven't read them

Edit: If you need english translations for lucifer and biscuit hammer go to Mangahere.com.
    Last edited by Crazyfailure13; 2012-11-11 at 01:39 AM.
    Call me Crazy

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

manga.animea.com is also a good site.

Currently, my top three manga, in no specific order, are:

-One Piece
    -Mahou Sensei Negima
    -Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle/xxxHolic (two separate series, but they are both needed to fully understand the other)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

It defienitly gets better as it goes on. The Varia arc kind of sets the tone for how the rest of the manga is going to be. It feels more mature than a lot of the other big manga out there right now sometimes as well. Easily one of my favorite shounen manga I've ever read to be honest. The characters are all fairly well written and consistent. It does suffer from "I beat you so we're friends" syndrome a bit. But when it turns it on it's head it's pretty damn awesome.

I'm sad that Katekyo Hitman Reborn! has ended though it's probably for the best. The art continued to improve all the way to the end as did the story lines. My only complaint is that the end actually felt a bit rushed though it's probably because the manga-ka is doing another manga. Better to end on a high note than end up like Bleach or several other Manga I've read.

Was also really impressed with a "horror" manga Dawn Tsumetai Te. It get a little silly by the end but over all it was actually fairly well written with good character development.
    Last edited by Tebryn; 2012-11-11 at 02:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Thank you so much tensai_oni for mentioning Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. It's also my favorite manga, and it feels good to see all these other people going, "I just read and I like it."

And you guys have mentioned Pokemon Special/Adventures, so I have nothing else to say except that if you've played the games, the manga caters to you in a special way with cameos and other stuff you would only get if you play the games. And I love it for that.

And and Crazyfailure13, I second Bartender and Psyren. I first thought Psyren would be just another shounen battle manga, but then somewhere down the line it got better, and by the end I liked it. To me, it felt like I was watching a video game.

As for recommendations, I have a bunch, but for now I would like to mention Shibatora, manga about a guy who looks like an elementary/middle school kid, but is actually a police officer working in the Youth Division of the police. He deals with kids and their problems and can see "shinigami hands" about kids who about to die or might cause death. Also despite his looks, he is not helpless, and it's always fun to have a bunch of delinquent kids underestimate him and find themselves badly beaten by an umbrella or a pen because the guy is a kendo expert.
    Currently playing a "blind" (Miraluka) sniper in a Star Wars SAGA Edition RP

18. - Top - End - #48

Yeah I agree shibatora is good, but it can get kinda dark and realistic, especially with drug addicts, beaten children and such.

Speaking of dark, another interesting story is suicide island(Can't remember if thats a nickname or english translation of japanese name, actually called jiasutou or something like that) basically about a bunch of people who gave up living and unsuccessfully tried suicide, they then signed away their rights as living individuals and were sent to a remote island to do what they want, some kill themselves other find a reason to live.

Edit: also seconding tsubasa/xxxholic, very interesting serieses(?) And while they can be read together they also work just as well as individual stories until the endings.
    Last edited by Crazyfailure13; 2012-11-11 at 03:13 AM.
    Call me Crazy

19. - Top - End - #49

A bit of a random question here: What do you guys think of loli fanservice? Are you disgusted by it? Outraged? Do you just dislike it? Do you not mind it? Do you like it? Do you regard it the same way you do adult fanservice?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not a fan of it. Not to the point of outrage, but I definitely dislike it.

Hmm, come to think of it, I dislike most fanservice in general. It's very rarely tastefully-done, and in many cases detracts from the story (Negima) or makes it unwatchable for me (High School of the Dead).

A small amount of fanservice is alright, though. Too many franchises overdo it.

Also, I just finished Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Easily in my top 10 list.

Spoiler
    Show

I was glad that almost everyone made it out alive

Animus' final form scared me, though.

21. - Top - End - #51

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes lucifer and the biscuit hammer used death very effectively, and had the characters that died mean enough to the reader for them to feel something about it without complete outrage.

As for loli fanservice... eh. it's really dependent on the person and not everyone enjoys it or finds it particularly welcome. I don't have utter disgust for it but i'm not a fan in anyway.
    Call me Crazy

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

I think the best manga doing fanservice (even in story) is Fairy Tail. they can actually make it relevant to the story

For the rest I'm neither anooyed/specifically overjoyed by it.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of Fairy Tail, has anyone else read Rave Master, by the same author? I really enjoyed that one.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Speaking of Fairy Tail, has anyone else read Rave Master, by the same author? I really enjoyed that one.
    They've got enough similar characters right down to appearance to qualify for the same manga in my honest opinion. Bugs the heck out of me.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

hm... I gotta put that on my list then
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    I read it to about... when they go through the big storm that hid that "country".

Spoiler
    Show
    Or rather the featureless annihilated plain that was left of it

It was alright. Not awesome, but quite amusing. The growing uselessness and plot-coupon-ness of Elie did get on my nerves a bit.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-11-13 at 03:26 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

I was under the impression that most people who were fans of fairy tail have read Rave master, or read it first.

Anybody read toriko?
    Call me Crazy

28. - Top - End - #58
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    They've got enough similar characters right down to appearance to qualify for the same manga in my honest opinion. Bugs the heck out of me.
    I always consider Rave Master to be a better work. One because I read it first (so Fairy Tail have the same character as Rave Master from my PoV) and it got a better story, in my opinion.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

so, that was katekyo hitman reborn. It was funny... mildly entertaining, but after the first 70 chapters or so the story really pickp up pace and stays interesting... the first 70 are neccessary to understand what the powers are in this universe...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

so, that was katekyo hitman reborn. It was funny... mildly entertaining, but after the first 70 chapters or so the story really pickp up pace and stays interesting... the first 70 are neccessary to understand what the powers are in this universe...
    Now that I know it's over, I think I'll give it another shot. But those 70 first chapters sound so boooooooring.
    Last edited by ThiagoMartell; 2012-11-13 at 08:13 AM.