New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

biggrin So, I bought a lightsaber...

Actually, that thread title is far too sedate. AAAAAAAAAAH!!!! I BOUGHT A LIGHTSABER!!!

At the moment I'm waiting for it to actually be assembled (I think there's a Jedi temple in Texas somewhere that's putting it together), and it'll take about 3-4 weeks, so as I'm terrible at waiting patiently, I wanted to at least share about it here.

Okay, obviously it's not an ACTUAL lightsaber. The sucker won't be cutting anyone's hand off (though I'm told it might possibly break a bone if swung right), but it's pretty nifty and solid-looking so far as I'm concerned. Growing up watching Star Wars (I'm pushing 40) I always wanted a toy lightsaber (or an actual one), but my parents either couldn't afford the ones they had back in the early 80s or--and I suspect this might be the more relevant case--they didn't want their 8 year old running around the house swinging at things with a giant plastic bat.

Now that I'm older, I still find myself wanting one from time to time, but I also didn't want something that didn't feel authentic (i.e. something that didn't feel like a toy). I knew they were out there, but I could never really justify the expense.

Well, with the new movies, and my status as a grown-ass man with an income, I finally just said screw it: I'm gonna get one. I started researching options online, and--as it usually does with me--the research momentum made me more excited about it until I finally caved and actually made the purchase.
    Spoiler: Here's about what it'll look like. (Spoilered for image size.)
    Show

It's based on Maul's saber, but one-handed with different coloring. I also tweaked the red jewel/screw closest to the activation button is black, and the black one at the very bottom is silver. The pommel will also be a little fancier with some silverish protrusions.

Oh, and the blade will be blue, and brighter than this.

So now I just have to wait for it to show up, and then resist the urge to chase my co-workers around the office with it.

Thanks for putting up with my glee.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: So, I bought a lightsaber...

The glee is entirely understandable
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

The joy of a lightsaber is something to be shared.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

That's awesome! Looks kind of like an Ultrasabers design. Did you get it with a sound card? Because they are so, so much better with sound cards.

Also, have you given any thought to joining the Rebel Legion? The group (along with the 501st) is always on the lookout for new members, and you can get a whole Jedi outfit to rock out with the lightsabers to, as well as access to a lot of venues to look as badass as possible in - like baseball stadiums that do Star Wars Nights, for instance.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Well you have done, not-so-young padawan.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's awesome! Looks kind of like an Ultrasabers design. Did you get it with a sound card? Because they are so, so much better with sound cards.
    Yep, Ultrasabers. Good eye. :) (It's the "Dark Menace.") I wanted to go with one modeled after Vader's saber, but they were out of stock and I was impatient. I did get the sound card. What good is a lightsaber without sound?

Also, have you given any thought to joining the Rebel Legion? The group (along with the 501st) is always on the lookout for new members, and you can get a whole Jedi outfit to rock out with the lightsabers to, as well as access to a lot of venues to look as badass as possible in - like baseball stadiums that do Star Wars Nights, for instance.
    I haven't given it any thought, actually, since I wasn't aware of it. Unfortunately I don't have all that much free time lately, but tell me more?
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    ~ ~ ~

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Yep, Ultrasabers. Good eye. :) (It's the "Dark Menace.") I wanted to go with one modeled after Vader's saber, but they were out of stock and I was impatient. I did get the sound card. What good is a lightsaber without sound?
    I know my lightsabers. If you ever want to completely drool over one, check out Vader's Vault. 100% custom commissions, with an artist that works out the design with you before they even start on the crafting. They can do incredibly intricate, detailed work. Just don't ask about the pricing if you have a heart condition.
    I haven't given it any thought, actually, since I wasn't aware of it. Unfortunately I don't have all that much free time lately, but tell me more?
    PM inbound!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I know my lightsabers. If you ever want to completely drool over one, check out Vader's Vault. 100% custom commissions, with an artist that works out the design with you before they even start on the crafting. They can do incredibly intricate, detailed work. Just don't ask about the pricing if you have a heart condition.

PM inbound!
    Mad max the best :) thanks

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

reminds me of henchman 21.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

We should duel lol mabey use the force

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Okay, obviously it's not an ACTUAL lightsaber.
    Thank the Gods. You're dangerous enough as is!

The sucker won't be cutting anyone's hand off
    Especially yours!

But congratulations!
    Last edited by tomandtish; 2016-02-04 at 11:22 AM.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

12. - Top - End - #12

Update: After being delayed in Hoth-like conditions through Colorado, it arrived yesterday! They didn't quite get the order right, as the emitter was supposed to have a silver inlay, and one of the circular screws near the pommel was supposed to be silver, but they should be able to send me replacements I can swap out (I hope).

What really makes it is the sound. I spent longer than I care to admit last night just turning it on and off.

Spoiler: For picture size
    Show

~ ~ ~

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Update: After being delayed in Hoth-like conditions through Colorado, it arrived yesterday! They didn't quite get the order right, as the emitter was supposed to have a silver inlay, and one of the circular screws near the pommel was supposed to be silver, but they should be able to send me replacements I can swap out (I hope).

What really makes it is the sound. I spent longer than I care to admit last night just turning it on and off.

Spoiler: For picture size
    Show

...So that's what the kids are calling it these days....

Looks pretty cool.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

14. - Top - End - #14

Awesome! Amusingly, I just had to send my saber back for repairs (a short in the wiring, I think. Probably fixable myself, but why not have the warranty cover it, I figured). Have you tested the clash yet?

15. - Top - End - #15

Awesome! Amusingly, I just had to send my saber back for repairs (a short in the wiring, I think. Probably fixable myself, but why not have the warranty cover it, I figured). Have you tested the clash yet?
    I didn't get flash-on-clash for this one, so no. (Though I can get the sound for it by tapping the activation button.)
    ~ ~ ~