New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Dr. Strange vs. Superman

Knock yourselves out comic fanboys.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dr. Strange vs. Superman

Assuming Dr Strange is who I think he is (Sorcerer Supreme), I think he wins. Superman is pretty weak against magic.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Dr. Strange love

There are actually two Dr. Stranges: a wizard in the Marvel universe and an unpleasant fellow who figured out Batman's identity in the DC universe. Either one might make an interesting conflict for Big Blue: one a man of magic, the other of science. The latter was slated for an appearance in Justice League but was nixed due to the Bat-Embargo.

Kim Possible's biggest fan!

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do. --Bob Dylan

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Dr. Strange conjures some kryptonite, forcing Superman to retreat. :P
    \"I reject your reality, and substitute my own.\"&&--Adam Savage, \"MythBusters\"&&&&\"Old Macdonald was dyslexic, O-I-E-I-E\"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

If Strange attacks first, Superman is toast.
    If Superman attacks first using his superspeed...Then I guess it depends on what defenses Strange has. Not familiar enough with the character to judge.
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dr Strange was always one of my favorites, so I'm sure he wins. :)
    awarded blue ribbon by Ravenwind&&awarded Paying Attention to Earlier Conversations About the Same Topic Award by Kanashimi

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

ah the battle of the Deux Ex machinas

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

I didn't think I was going to post to one of these, but what do you know? This one actually interests me.

I'm seeing most of the advantages here going to Dr. Strange. Superman's completely vulnerable to magic.

If a Superman who is badly enough warped by something that he's willing to use lethal force ambushes Strange when Strange has no reason to think he's in danger, Superman wins. If a Strange who is badly enough warped by something that he's willing to use lethal force ambushes Superman when Superman has no reason to think he's in danger, Strange wins.

If both Superman and Strange turn into sociopaths who consider each other enemies while they're standing ten feet away from each other looking at each other, it's entirely a matter of who reacts first.

If both Superman and Strange turn into sociopaths who consider each other enemies while there's anywhere from a building to a hemisphere between them, Superman flies toward Strange's last known location and starts scanning for him with X-ray vision, while Strange makes himself invisible and pinpoints Superman's location with a spell. Superman is dead meat.

If they both retain their basic moral structures and each becomes convinced the other is a villain who needs to be stopped, assuming neither is allowed to call in outside help, Strange wins because he can actually render Superman helpless without hurting him, and Superman can't render Strange helpless without killing or crippling him. Superman might knock Strange out for a while if he got the drop on him, but as soon as Strange woke up the tables would be turned. (Of course, Superman might also, being used to enemies who are either physically superhuman themselves or no kind of threat to him, hit Strange too hard and kill him or put him in a coma. However, I don't think Superman would consider that a victory, especially when he learned he'd killed a hero, not a villain.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd give this to Superman, if they both started at the same time- Dr Strange may be powerful, but he actually needs to say most of his incantations, making him inherently slower than Superman by far. Not to mention a lot of his incantations use his hands, so he'd be easily neutralised .

It should also be noted that Superman isn't actually extra susceptible to magic... it just bypasses most of his invulnerability, which is against physical attacks. He's withstood magic attacks before (and blasts that would kill others), they've just hurt a lot.

10. - Top - End - #10

Default bah

dr. strange wins b/c supes has no defenses against magic. and besides, captain whitebread is not going to out-think someone who's outwitted demons.

ed
    \"i think this line\'s mostly filler\"--willow rosenberg, once more, with feeling, season 6, buffy the vampire slayer

11. - Top - End - #11

Supes has outbeat-the-crap-out-of Demons...
    Member of a fanclub.

12. - Top - End - #12

Planetar

I'm not even familiar with Dr. Strange, but he autowins anyway, and here's why:

1. Superman is weak, stupid, and ineffectual.
    2. Everyone in the cosmos knows that Superman is vulnerable to both kryptonite and magic.
    3. Kryptonite is available at your corner convenience store (which is why, incidentally, you never see Clark Kent shopping there).
    4. Superman hasn't over the decades defeated scores of people armed with kryptonite and magic.
    5. If Strange turns invisible, Superman, whose superhearing makes Daredevil's look like deafness, will not hear Strange coming.

Have I missed anything? ::)
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialStick
    Yes.
    6. Given sufficient prep time, Batman shows up and powns them both :D
    Now if you don\'t mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialStick
    I'm not even familiar with Dr. Strange, but he autowins anyway, and here's why:

1. Superman is weak, stupid, and ineffectual.
    2. Everyone in the cosmos knows that Superman is vulnerable to both kryptonite and magic.
    3. Kryptonite is available at your corner convenience store (which is why, incidentally, you never see Clark Kent shopping there).
    4. Superman hasn't over the decades defeated scores of people armed with kryptonite and magic.
    5. If Strange turns invisible, Superman, whose superhearing makes Daredevil's look like deafness, will not hear Strange coming.

1)Er...Actually, Superman is supposedly a pretty smart guy (Clarck Kent wouldn't be much of a journalist otherwise), and HAS relied on cleverness in battle before.
    2)Everyone in the DC cosmos, sure. Marvel's another matter.
    3)See above.
    4)Er...I'm not a comic History buff, but I think he actually has.
    5)Superman's speed isn't on Flash's level, but close. He could actually feel his way around to find Strange, and cover a large area in the blink of an eye. Seriously, never underestimate speed as a super-power.
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sun_tzu

1)Er...Actually, Superman is supposedly a pretty smart guy (Clarck Kent wouldn't be much of a journalist otherwise), and HAS relied on cleverness in battle before.
    2)Everyone in the DC cosmos, sure. Marvel's another matter.
    3)See above.
    4)Er...I'm not a comic History buff, but I think he actually has.
    5)Superman's speed isn't on Flash's level, but close. He could actually feel his way around to find Strange, and cover a large area in the blink of an eye. Seriously, never underestimate speed as a super-power.
    Uh... did you just miss the unbelievably blatant sarcasm in the last post? :o
    lol.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

It's really a tie.

Superman wins if it's a spontaneous sudden death fight with little space between them because he'd just tackle him with superspeed or blast him before Strange could react assuming he had no special defences active.

If both planned ahead of time Strange wins because he has so many different powers and plot devices to rely on. He basically can do anything imaginable as he gets his power from a trinity of Gods and any affect he produces with magic we haven't seen before can just be one of his many unknown powers he never had a reason to use.

In the end when wikis are compared Strange totally owns him.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

"Superman wins if it's a spontaneous sudden death fight with little space between them because he'd just tackle him with superspeed or blast him before Strange could react assuming he had no special defences active."

Dr. Strange always has at least a minimal deflective shielding around his person. (This can be magically dispelled or expended from a moderately powerful attack though.) Dr. Strange also carries the Eye of Agamatto and his Cloak of Levitation on his person at all times. The cloak itself is indestructible, grants the ability of flight, and responds to Strange's mental commands which he often uses as an extra set of hands. The Eye of Agamatto opens dimensional portals, sees through all illusions and lies, grants the bearer telepathic and telekinetic powers, and can create post-cognitive images of events that happened in the area its possessor is currently located.

Dr. Strange wins because he is a consummate deux ex machina character. He survived Thanos slaying half the universe with the Infinity Gauntlet and remembered all the events as they transpired even after the Living Tribunal undid events. However, he was utterly incapable of stopping the Scarlet Witch from rewriting history and subsequently restoring it and stripping away the powers of over 90% of the mutant population.
    "I still say Millikin is a placeholder for someone interesting." -- Valdayana D`Varr

18. - Top - End - #18

Strange has all the vast power of PLOT at his displosal!!!

19. - Top - End - #19

Well, even if Superman develops a sudden, irrational mad-on for the Sorceror supreme, if Strange is at home (which he usually is unless some cosmic threat is brewing) isn't his brownstone a) magically concealed from those with ill intent, and b) otherwise magically shielded from direct attack? Been a while, but it would make sense, considering he makes a habit of tweaking trans-dimensional baddies.
    By the time their numbers had been reduced from 15 to 8, the other dwarves had begun to suspect Hungry.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

First of all Dr. Strange has the the Eye of Agamotto, which gives him the ability to basically read minds. Big Advantage.
    Second of all Dr. Strange has the power to make a pocket dimension, this is answered in the marvel vs. dc special comic series. Dr. Strange can in fact throw Superman into an alternate dimension.
    Third of all if superman kills that dr. strange, obviously superman hasn’t learned that Dr. Strange has died before, then escaped death.
    Fourth of all dr. strange could just make superman think he was a chimichanga on a stick.
    Last of all they are both hero’s and they would not fight each other, thus Dr. Strange would disciple Superman into becoming the sorcerer supreme… maybe not.

21. - Top - End - #21

I would say Dr. Strange normally... but the Hulk more or less beat Strange by breaking his hands. I say advantage Superman.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Unfortunately, although Dr. Strange is a genius and brilliant psycologist, he's no match for Supes in a straight-up fight.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    If both Superman and Strange turn into sociopaths who consider each other enemies while they're standing ten feet away from each other looking at each other, it's entirely a matter of who reacts first.
    iow: Superman.

If they both retain their basic moral structures and each becomes convinced the other is a villain who needs to be stopped, assuming neither is allowed to call in outside help, Strange wins because he can actually render Superman helpless without hurting him, and Superman can't render Strange helpless without killing or crippling him. Superman might knock Strange out for a while if he got the drop on him, but as soon as Strange woke up the tables would be turned.
    I believe giving Dr. Strange an IV drip with a strong sedative wouldn't be beyond sup's abilities.
    I'd still give it to Strange because he probably has some sort of scrying spell and an extradimensional home.

Agreed on everything else though.

24. - Top - End - #24

BarbarianGuy

It is the classic Barbarian Vs Wizard debate.

The Wizard will win (no matter what) if given enough time to prepare.

If the Wizard is not given time to prepare, he gets the living hell beaten out of him before he can get up any defense worth mentioning.

Same thing here. Unless Strange ambushes Superman (or at least is given a day or two to prepare for the battle), Superman just breaks Strange's hands and then sodomizes him. Otherwise, Superman is defeated by a spell that roughly translates to "Make Superman's Kidneys explode" that Stevie just happened to be saving for a rainy day.
    Against stupidity, the very gods themselves contend in vain. - Freidrich Schiller

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Supes has fought to within an inch of his life sorcerers capable of destroying Metropolis... has come within an inch of dying and had the gumption to keep going and try one last gambit to succeed. He overcomes his weakness to magic with brains, determination, and luck... but he's never fought someone on Strange's level before. Strange can look cosmic entities in the eye and not blink. He can directly and successfully oppose the energies of the Infinity Gauntlet. He can best a fallen Falteen in pure magical duels. His is no hedge magic.

However, there are two additional factors which I believe decide the match moreso than Strange's raw talent. Superman's tendency to start battles only using enough force to knock out a normal man. He holds back his true strength every moment of every day, and would punch Strange just hard enough to knock a normal man out at first. Strange, as Sorcerer Supreme, has a body which is hardier than most people, and has an incredible ability to focus beyond pain, and to ignore little inconveniences like a sword through his chest, and move around minutes after invasive surgery, and maintain coherance and competence (though not spellcasting ability) despite shattered hands. (Seriously, think about how painful it'd be to have your hands broken that way... Strange is just rolling with it)

So here's how it goes in my mind, Superman goes faster than a speeding bullet and punches Strange, expecting that to be the end. Then he hears an incantation and the Crimson Bands of Cytorakk are holding him in place, and all the strength in the world won't save him. Perhaps on a subsequent match he'd be able to win based on disabling Strange's hands or just punching a little harder... and maybe if Dr. Strange were a monologuing villain it'd give Supes a chance to figure out an escape.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

26. - Top - End - #26

Well now...

Mordru is the DC equivalent of Dr. Strange, no?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordru

I don't recall Superman ever fighting Mordru 1 on 1...so it'd be interesting to see.

However, he has taken punches from Power Girl, as the article says, and suffered no ill effects.

Any idea of Strange can "mimic" some of Mordru's powers? I don't know...but if he could, then he could defeat Superman in single combat.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

[Image removed - too large]
    Not as large as SOME.

Head Executioner for House Kato

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    So here's how it goes in my mind, Superman goes faster than a speeding bullet and punches Strange, expecting that to be the end.
    Then realises Strange is still concious and about to speak so he punches him again a millisecond later. Nope, still moving. Punches a bit harder. Is he unconcious yet? Nope. Repeat til the oponent is neutralized.

Or he could just gag Strange.

TheMeanDM: Remove the stupid phobia and you've got what Strange would be if his writers used every single power they've ever given him.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Totally depends on what universe they are in as the power levels are totally different.

Magic and the supernatural in the DCU seems a LOT more potent than it is in the MU and Superman held his own against and arch angel.

In the MU, his counterparts Hyperion and Gladiator aren't even the most powerful hero's walking around

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WitchSlayer View Post
    I would say Dr. Strange normally... but the Hulk more or less beat Strange by breaking his hands. I say advantage Superman.
    Yeah, but Hulk had to trick Strange to get close enough...

I'm seeing most of the advantages here going to Dr. Strange. Superman's completely vulnerable to magic.
    And by "completely vulnerable" they mean "able to take a magic hammer to the face with only a nosebleed when a normal person would have it's brain splattered all over the sky".
    Last edited by T.Titan; 2007-11-13 at 07:13 AM.
    Before WWI, it was statistically more dangerous for a woman to give birth than it was for a man to fight in a war.

30. - Top - End - #30

BarbarianGuy

With Superman, a nosebleed DOES count as "totally vulnerable"
    Against stupidity, the very gods themselves contend in vain. - Freidrich Schiller