New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 86 of 91 FirstFirst ... 366176777879808182838485868788899091 LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #2551
    Banned

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 1253 No.

When an Erinyes throws its rope to entangle a target, it operates as an Animate Rope spell except for a 30' range limit. There is no Reflex save involved in this..
    A1253 dispute

Text of Animate Rope from the PHB:
    The rope can enwrap only a creature or an object within 1 foot of it—it does not snake outward—so it must be thrown near the intended target. Doing so requires a successful ranged touch attack roll (range increment 10 feet). A typical 1-inch-diameter hempen rope has 2 hit points, AC 10, and requires a DC 23 Strength check to burst it. The rope does not deal damage, but it can be used as a trip line or to cause a single opponent that fails a Reflex saving throw to become entangled.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-11-03 at 11:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2552
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    A1253 dispute

Text of Animate Rope from the PHB:
    I've thought about this some more, and I think you're right. Despite Entangle being an Extraordinary ability, it still operates to simulate a spell and thus should have a saving throw DC as if it were a Spell-like ability. (Normally Extraordinary abilities do not allow saving throws.)

I've revised my answer.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-11-04 at 03:20 AM.

3. - Top - End - #2553
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I've thought about this some more, and I think you're right. Despite Entangle being an Extraordinary ability, it still operates to simulate a spell and thus should have a saving throw DC as if it were a Spell-like ability. (Normally Extraordinary abilities do not allow saving throws.)

I've revised my answer.
    Ah. Looking at it again, I think what happened is that they wrote "caster level 16" when it should have been "save DC 16", as the erinyes's SLAs have a caster level of 12, and a permanent version of a spell whose CL-dependent variables (such as the size of the rope) are fixed in this case hardly needs to list a CL at all, let alone one that differs for no visible reason.

Q1258
    Do Dorjes and other psionic items have the same restriction as wands and staves, where the power they emulate has to be on your class's list (UMD notwithstanding)? For instance, nobody normally has access to the power Touch of Health except for Ardents and Divine Minds who choose the Life mantle (or characters who take feats which give them the power or the mantle). Thusly, if a Life ardent creates a Dorje of Touch of Health, can a non-Life Ardent use it? Can a Psion? Can a character with no psionic classes who possesses Power Points from another source (Naturally Psionic race, Wild Talent feat, etc.)?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-11-04 at 03:41 AM.

4. - Top - End - #2554
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Q1251
    The spell Greater Teleport specifies that "there is no chance that you arrive off-target". Do you still roll the same percentages to see if you get the correct destination, but treat all "Off-Target" results as "On-Target" (so a "Very Familiar" location still has a 1% chance of producing a "Somewhere Else" result)? Or is the roll eliminated altogether and you always arrive exactly where you want to?
    A 1251
    Eliminate the roll altogether.
    The only way you won't arrive on target is if you don't know where the place is (or if it doesn't exist). In this case, you simply vanish and then reappear where you were when you cast the spell rather than risking a mishap or teleporting to a similar area.

Q 1252b
    Just to confirm, this means that a Baatezu, whose See in Darkness ability is (Su)pernatural, but who also has Darkvision out to 60 feet as do all Outsiders, can see 60 feet into a pitch-black Antimagic Field? Or is it rather that his See in Darkness remains active at any distance up until the moment he steps into the AMF, at which point everything beyond 60 feet away from him instantly disappears from his sight, and reappears when he steps back out of the AMF?
    A 1252B
    See in Darkness affects the devil, not the area surrounding him. Therefore, an antimagic field does not hinder the ability in any way so long as the devil is outside of it.
    However,the ability would be suppressed upon entering an antimagic field, limiting him to darkvision.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Q 1257 What is the CL for a Whisper Gnome's Spell-like abilities?
    A 1257
    They're all CL 1, including Silence.

Q1258
    Do Dorjes and other psionic items have the same restriction as wands and staves, where the power they emulate has to be on your class's list (UMD notwithstanding)? For instance, nobody normally has access to the power Touch of Health except for Ardents and Divine Minds who choose the Life mantle (or characters who take feats which give them the power or the mantle). Thusly, if a Life ardent creates a Dorje of Touch of Health, can a non-Life Ardent use it? Can a Psion? Can a character with no psionic classes who possesses Power Points from another source (Naturally Psionic race, Wild Talent feat, etc.)?
    A 1258
    Yes, they have the same restrictions.
    The description of dorjes in the Psionic Items section of the Psionics Handbook states that "The user must have the power on his class list, even if he knows the command thought." A DC 20 Use Psionic Device check is required to use a dorje whose power you don't have access to.

Q 1259
    The two-weapon fighting rules state that making one extra attack per round with an off-hand weapon incurs a -6 penalty to main-hand attacks and a -10 to off-hand attacks.
    Do these additional penalties occur if a character attacks using two weapons, but does not exceed his normal attacks per round granted by BAB?
    Last edited by Vaern; 2012-11-04 at 06:50 AM.

5. - Top - End - #2555
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1259

Yes. Don't forget though that those penalties only apply if the character does not have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat and is wielding a one-handed weapon in the off-hand. Both are bad ideas.

Q 1260
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A cleric can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity’s (if he has one). Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law descriptors in their spell descriptions.
    Does that mean a cleric can't cast spells that are opposite on either alignment axis or does it mean that only the directly opposed alignments (LG-CE;NG-NE;CG-LE) are forbidden? If the latter is the case what happens to neutral good/evil clerics?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-11-04 at 05:50 AM.

6. - Top - End - #2556
    Banned

A1260
    Each component of your alignment is evaluated separately for this purpose. If you are Good, you cannot cast an [Evil] spell. If you are Chaotic, you cannot cast a [Lawful] spell. If you're Chaotic Good, both those rules apply.

(As an aside, this also means that if you were houseruled with the ability to worship a Chaotic Neutral deity while being Neutral Good yourself, your own alignment would stop you from casting [Evil] spells while your deity's alignment would stop you from casting [Lawful] ones. If the houserule allowed a Good character to worship an Evil deity, the result would be unable to cast either [Good] or [Evil] spells, though this would obviously be rather strange and it's probably more sensible to just make that character a True Neutral cleric of a True Neutral deity.)
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-11-04 at 09:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #2557

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 1260
    Does that mean a cleric can't cast spells that are opposite on either alignment axis or does it mean that only the directly opposed alignments (LG-CE;NG-NE;CG-LE) are forbidden? If the latter is the case what happens to neutral good/evil clerics?
    A 1260
    Either axis.
    A chaotic-aligned deity will not grant his clerics the power to cast a lawful-aligned spell, and vice versa. A good-aligned deity will not allow his clerics to cast evil-aligned spells, and vice versa.

8. - Top - End - #2558
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    A 1257
    They're all CL 1, including Silence.
    A 1257 Disupute
    I know it was my question; but I dug a little more and found this passage in the SRD.
    For creatures with spell-like abilities, a designated caster level defines how difficult it is to dispel their spell-like effects and to define any level-dependent variables (such as range and duration) the abilities might have. The creature’s caster level never affects which spell-like abilities the creature has; sometimes the given caster level is lower than the level a spellcasting character would need to cast the spell of the same name. If no caster level is specified, the caster level is equal to the creature’s Hit Dice.
    Edit: And I just re-read Whisper Gnomes' entry and it does say CL 1st... disregard this.
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2012-11-04 at 10:05 AM.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #2559
    Banned

Q1261
    The Lycanthrope template says that applying it functions "much like multiclassing to animal". As far as I know, it is possible to use the template to apply an animal which has been advanced in Hit Dice as the character's animal form, since the act of this advancement does not make the animal disqualify as a base animal as far as I can see. So that stands to reason that if you could create an ECL 11 Goliath Werebear from the default 6-HD brown bear, you could create an ECL 11 Human Werebear from a brown bear advanced to 7 HD. This in turn suggests that you should then be able to create an ECL 10 Human Werebear, then "take a level in Bear" to add another Bear HD.

The actual question here comes in when I consider being a Halfling Werewolf. A Wolf is Medium, and thus is the largest animal that a Halfling can become a lycanthrope of. But if a Wolf advances to 4 HD, it becomes Large. So does that mean that you can create an ECL 6 Halfling Werewolf and advance it no more than 1 wolf HD, before further gains of wolf HD are disallowed due to the size increase disqualifying you for the template? Or does advancing in HD this way get around the size restriction?

Q1262
    Is Power Attack effective with natural weapons even though they're light weapons, or is that only unarmed strikes?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-11-04 at 10:19 AM.

10. - Top - End - #2560

BardGuy

Q1262
    Is Power Attack effective with natural weapons even though they're light weapons, or is that only unarmed strikes?
    A 1262
    Yes, it works with natural weapons.
    You can’t add the bonus from Power Attack to the damage dealt with a light weapon (except with unarmed strikes or natural weapon attacks), even though the penalty on attack rolls still applies.
    Last edited by Vaern; 2012-11-04 at 12:55 PM.

11. - Top - End - #2561
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1261
    This animal can be any predator, scavenger, or omnivore whose size is within one size category of the base creature’s size (Small, Medium, or Large for a Medium base creature).
    If an animal form is not within one size category of the base creature's size, it is impossible to apply the lycanthrope template to that combination. The "base" size of the animal form is immaterial if you're talking about an advanced animal with a different size.

12. - Top - End - #2562
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1263: If one sacrifices attack to gain damage via Power Attack at the beginning of the round, and they then make a Trample attack (dealing damage equal to their Slam attack plus 1.5 times their Strength modifier), does Power Attack apply to the damage dealt? If so, does it provide double output?

Q 1264: When using a trample attack, can one use the Tumble skill to avoid the attacks of opportunity it provokes?

Q 1265: Does the doubling of power attack damage when using a two-handed weapon count as a doubling in terms of multiplier stacking? That is, if one were to double their damage (say, by means of a critical hit) on an attack with a greatsword that had used power attack for -3/+6, would the resulting damage bonus be +9 or +12? What about when using something like Leap Attack, which specifically doubles the power attack damage?

13. - Top - End - #2563
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q1266:
    Can you jump from being prone on the ground, to say, 30 ft away? To specify, I'm not asking if you can use the tumble or jump skill to stand from prone, but if you can jump (horizontal or long) from lying prone on the ground. I assume that you still get hit by an AoO if you're being threatened when you move, but I was wondering of anyone had a RAW ruling.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Neutral Good Human Cleric (2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-13
    Constitution-15
    Intelligence-13
    Wisdom-17
    Charisma-13

14. - Top - End - #2564
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1266 No.
    jump
    —vb

1. (intr) to leap or spring clear of the ground or other surface by using the muscles in the legs and feet
    When you're prone your legs and feet are not positioned under you so as to use their muscles to propel you off the ground. "Jump" does not have a special game definition in the D&D Glossary, so it relies on the standard English word meanings. You can't use your legs to leap from prone in real life, so by default you can't use your legs to leap from prone in D&D. If the D&D Jump skill specified otherwise then of course that would override real-world considerations, but there is no such statement in the skill description. Consequently Jump retains its basic requirement that you push off from a surface with your feet and legs.

15. - Top - End - #2565
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1263

Yes, you get bonus damage from Power Attack, but despite using 1.5 times the STR modifier a trample attack is not a two-handed weapon ore a one-handed weapon wielded with two hands. So you only get +1 damage for every point you subtract from your attack bonus

A 1265

No, it is not doubled, you get +2 damage for each point subtracted from the attack bonus, that this is double the amount you get for a one-handed weapon is purely incidental. The crit would be +12. Leap attack has been errataed to deal +100% power attack damage (so no doubling either). So you get -1/+4, the whole damage including the +4 would be doubled on a crit. Getting a crit with a leap attack while using a valorous weapon would only get you x3, because that is a double doubling.

A 1266

Probably your best bet would be to ask your GM. The rules do not forbid jumping from the prone position, they do not allow it either. There is no mention that at the end of this jump you would land on your feet.

16. - Top - End - #2566
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1267: I have a question about the following for Psion:

Discipline
    Every psion must decide at 1st level which psionic discipline he will specialize in. Choosing a discipline provides a psion with access to the class skills associated with that discipline (see above), as well as the powers restricted to that discipline. However, choosing a discipline also means that the psion cannot learn powers that are restricted to other disciplines. He can’t even use such powers by employing psionic items.

Powers Known
    A psion begins play knowing three psion powers of your choice. Each time he achieves a new level, he unlocks the knowledge of new powers.

Choose the powers known from the psion power list, or from the list of powers of your chosen discipline. You cannot choose powers from restricted discipline lists other than your own discipline list. You can choose powers from disciplines other than your own if they are not on a restricted discipline list. (Exception: The feats Expanded Knowledge and Epic Expanded Knowledge do allow a psion to learn powers from the lists of other disciplines or even other classes.) A psion can manifest any power that has a power point cost equal to or lower than his manifester level.
    How do you tell what is or is not on the discipline list. Like if I choose telepathy, how do I know what I am not allowed to take? If it isn't too much trouble could someone link a telepath only spell, a non-telepath spell, and a spell that a telepath can take but not because it is a strict telepath spell? (if that make sense)
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-11-05 at 11:57 AM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

17. - Top - End - #2567
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    Q 1239: Does the power boost from the Flood of Shadow mystery (which boosts all variable numeric effects of mysteries and shadow-based spells cast in its area by 50%) stack with the Empower Mystery feat?
    Reposting this one.

Also...

Q1268: Under the bonus feats section for Shadowcaster, it mentions that you may take any meta-magic feat in addition to any meta-shadow feat. Does this mean that meta-magic feats work on mysteries? And if so, how?
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

18. - Top - End - #2568
    Colossus in the Playground

Reposting this one.

Also...

Q1268: Under the bonus feats section for Shadowcaster, it mentions that you may take any meta-magic feat in addition to any meta-shadow feat. Does this mean that meta-magic feats work on mysteries? And if so, how?
    A1268: Shadowcaster mysteries aren't spells, and aren't prepared in slots, so metamagic can't possibly be applied to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #2569
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    Q 1267: I have a question about the following for Psion:

How do you tell what is or is not on the discipline list. Like if I choose telepathy, how do I know what I am not allowed to take? If it isn't too much trouble could someone link a telepath only spell, a non-telepath spell, and a spell that a telepath can take but not because it is a strict telepath spell? (if that make sense)
    A 1267:: Figured it out.

I didn't realize there are powers for the given class, then a list set aside for just the discipline you picked. (Sorta like domains in a cleric but not) So, a level 1 Psion Telepath could have any power from the level 1 list of psion/wilder but also whatever is listed in the Telepathy power list!

I can choose:

Bolt: You create a few enhanced short-lived bolts, arrows,
    or bullets.

and Mindlink: You forge a limited mental bond with
    another creature.

But not:

Destiny Dissonance: Your dissonant touch sickens
    a foe. Since it is from the Seer discipline.
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-11-05 at 02:22 PM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

20. - Top - End - #2570
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles
    Q 1239: Does the power boost from the Flood of Shadow mystery (which boosts all variable numeric effects of mysteries and shadow-based spells cast in its area by 50%) stack with the Empower Mystery feat?
    Reposting this one.

Also...

A1239: Yes, since they're both untyped benefits from different sources, as they're both multipliers (of 1.5) the total benefit is a doubling of those variable numeric effects.

A1268: By RAW, they don't, however it would allow you to use those meta-magic feats for other kinds of casting, if you so chose to multiclass or otherwise gain access to traditional forms of spell-casting. The RAI rationale might be different, but this is not the place to speculate about that.
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

21. - Top - End - #2571
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 1269

I an a bit confused about how Feigned Opening maneuver (ToB p.72) works.

Is it the swift action (the initiation action for the maneuver) that provokes the attack of opportunity or any other action that normally provokes an attack of opportunity? If latter is the case, am i supposed to waste an action to provoke an attack of opportunity to initiate this maneuver?

22. - Top - End - #2572
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1268 Additional:

A Shadowcaster's top-level mysteries are cast as spells, even if they don't use slots; the Sudden Metamagic feats should apply.

23. - Top - End - #2573
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1269

If you provoke an AoO and the opponent actually attacks, then you can initiate the maneuver as a Swift Action. You do not waste an action, you take an action that provokes an AoO.

24. - Top - End - #2574
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 1270

A1. If you have a natural flight speed, by way of wings, would you be able to fly and use the Dervish Dance ability from the Dervish PrC?
    A2. Would this be changed by gaining Perfect Maneuverability?

B. In the same vein, would the Fast movement from the class be added to all forms of movement in which you have a speed? Such as Flight, Burrow, or Swim.

C. Does Spring Attack work with flight or any other alternate forms of movement? (Not teleportation obviously)

Thank you.

25. - Top - End - #2575
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1270

A1. Yes.

A2.
    Improved maneuverability would allow greater flexibility in choice of what target the Dervish could attack next, but that's about all.

B. Yes.

C. Yes.
    Spring Attack uses a move action split around an attack. If you've got a listed speed, you can travel that distance with a move action, including the one required by Spring Attack.

26. - Top - End - #2576
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1271

Does the Jack of All Trades feat from Complete Adventurer replace the Jack of All Trades feat from Deities & Demigods?

27. - Top - End - #2577
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    A 1267:: Figured it out.

I didn't realize there are powers for the given class, then a list set aside for just the discipline you picked. (Sorta like domains in a cleric but not)
    FYI, there actually are something more like Psionic Domains than that: Mantles, in Complete Psionic. But yes, every Psion has access to a short list of powers exclusive to psions of that sort (save with Expanded Knowledge). Some powers also work better for psions of a certain sort, for instance Psionic Levitate can only be used on yourself unless you are a nomad.

28. - Top - End - #2578
    Titan in the Playground

Q 1272

Does crawling through the area of a Grease spell require a Balance check?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

29. - Top - End - #2579

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Q 1272

Does crawling through the area of a Grease spell require a Balance check?
    A 1272

I would say yes, it does.

Failing a Balance check can have two consequences. One is failing to move for one round. The other is possibly falling prone (if your check fails by five or more). Crawling avoids the consequence of falling prone (because you're basically prone to begin with), but not the consequence of failing to move for one round due to slipping on a magically greased surface.

30. - Top - End - #2580
    Titan in the Playground

Q 1273Can you TWF with a Two handed sword as the main hand and a spiked gauntlet as my off-hand weapon? IIRC letting go a hand from a THW is a free action.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC