New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Favorite Spell Incantation.

Hay, So, A friend of mine is running a Homebrew game, and the mages in that game have to come up with their own incantations. I'm not very good at coming up with them, so far my mage mostly relies on 'flame, blast, burn!' Which is a super basic fireball. So I'm asking you guys, favorite spell incantations? And their effects? As long as you guys want, so long as they aren't from a super popular anime (if my DM spots a 'ripped' spell he tells us off).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite Spell Incantation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieddi View Post
    Hay, So, A friend of mine is running a Homebrew game, and the mages in that game have to come up with their own incantations. I'm not very good at coming up with them, so far my mage mostly relies on 'flame, blast, burn!' Which is a super basic fireball. So I'm asking you guys, favorite spell incantations? And their effects? As long as you guys want, so long as they aren't from a super popular anime (if my DM spots a 'ripped' spell he tells us off).

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Good old Uncle

Personal favorite:

My Magecraft is a Cage of Flames
    A flaming yet verdant giant
    Retribution.
    A shrine that purifies the evil of human affairs
    The one who destroys...Wicker Man!

Dont use this is your DM has watched Fate/Grand Order First Order
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"Round about the cauldron go:
    In the poisoned entrails throw.
    Toad, that under cold stone
    Days and nights has thirty-one
    Sweated venom sleeping got,
    Boil thou first i’ the charmed pot.

Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

Fillet of a fenny snake,
    In the cauldron boil and bake;
    Eye of newt and toe of frog,
    Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
    Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
    Lizard's leg and owlet's wing.
    For a charm of powerful trouble,
    Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Double, double toil and trouble;

Scale of dragon, tooth of wolf,
    Witch's mummy, maw and gulf
    Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark,
    Root of hemlock digg'd i’ the dark,
    Liver of blaspheming Jew;
    Gall of goat; and slips of yew

Sliver'd in the moon's eclipse;
    Nose of Turk, and Tartar's lips;
    Finger of birth-strangled babe
    Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,
    Make the gruel thick and slab:
    Add thereto a tiger's chaudron,
    For the ingredients of our cauldron.

Double, double toil and trouble,

Cool it with a baboon's blood,

Then the charm is firm and good.
    "

Song of the Witches
    by
    William Shakespeare

From Macbeth, Act IV, Scene 1
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I ran a game where the party had Immovable Rods (or whatever they're called), and they had an activation word, and I had them say, "Yo ho metal bar go!"
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Verbal Component for my wizard player's 5e Shield Spell

****! (It's the f word).

In case you are not familiar Shield raises your AC and is used as a Reaction to a potential hit, possibly turning it into a miss.

I'm partial to Klaatu Varada Nikto which is Ash's mispronounciation of the magic phrase in Evil Dead. Borrowed from the Day the Earth Stood Still.

I also like to silly & nonsensical phrases from other languages. Latin is my go to but I have used Spanish and German too.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieddi View Post
    As long as you guys want, so long as they aren't from a super popular anime (if my DM spots a 'ripped' spell he tells us off).
    So the Dragon Slave spell from Slayers is right out?
    Pity.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

You could always go with the classic, "Klaatu Barada Nik..." <<cough>>

Look up random names of villages in Germany or Italy, depending on what flavor Draconic your table likes. "Bielefeld" is a great one for Mirage Arcana.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2017-12-13 at 03:53 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

My go to option lately is to take the fundamental effects of the spell, and use google translate to get the words in russian. Just love the sound of it for some reason.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Look up random names of villages in Germany
    In my experience this works really well for curse words (Ransbach Darmstadt Würzburg Putzbrunn Memmingen Schweinfurt Vaterstetten!), but since curses are a form of incantations...
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Silly suggestion: If you think that Tales of Phantasia is obscure enough that your DM won't get it, it contains the most memey incantation ever:

"I dwell amidst the abounding light of heaven! Thou art at the gates to the underworld! Come forth, thunder of the gods! It ends here! INDIGNATION!"

(You need to watch the video to see why it's funny.)

Sensible suggestion: I always liked the incantations from Neverwinter Nights, which had different incantations for different schools and whether the spell was high level (IIRC at least 6th) or not:

High Abjuration/Conjuration: "Obidie! Davorah! Ses'kah!
    Low Abjuration/Conjuration: "Obidie! Bedua! Val'kat!"
    High Enchantment/Transmutation: "Meyon! Te'trah! Glaash!"
    Low Enchantment/Transmutation: "Gorak! Vu'vocane!"
    High Evocation: "Ebool! Soleno! Samatka!"
    Low Evocation: "Fortano! Fordygema!"
    High Illusion: "Kheil! Copheem! Safine!"
    Low Illusion: "Feytas! Vegal! Esca!"
    High Necromancy: "Kraa! Sestu! Verkor!"
    Low Necromancy: "Nerkul! Ertragh! Egola!"
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2018-01-15 at 04:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Sensible suggestion: I always liked the incantations from Neverwinter Nights, which had different incantations for different schools and whether the spell was high level (IIRC at least 4th) or not:

High Conjuration: "Obidie! Davorah! Ses'kah!
    Low Conjuration: "Obidie! Bedua! Val'kat!"
    High Enchantment: "Meyon! Te'trah! Glaash!"
    Low Enchantment: "Gorak! Vu'vocane!"

For some reason, Abjuration doesn't seem to have them, or at least they're not in the standard place in the list of files (I didn't cast enough abjurations to be able to tell you, honestly). But I always liked these.
    I played quite a bit of NWN, but never did pick up on this division in spell sound effects. Might have something to do with being on the receiving end of spells more often than the caster side.

Each spell in Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for the GameCube requires 3, 5 or 7 glyphs which are used in casting, and the name of each is spoken aloud (not by you but by something else) during the process of casting. There are glyphs for the subject, the general effect and an alignment
    Spoiler
    Show
    the name of the elder deity you're drawing power from
    . I would replace the 3rd one with something like a spell school, but you need to find what each of these would be in your "language." In Eternal Darkness, the additional 2 or 4 glyphs involved with the 5 and 7 glyph versions are actually all just the glyph for "power" that modify the original effect of the 3 glyph version.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

In the video game Valkyrie Profile, each spell had an incantation that is said when you do it as a 'super move' (I forget the term in the game.) You can probably find them in Youtube. Some of them are pretty cool. However, they're a bit long for playing in a game.

I like it when the incantations are linked to the spell system. For the homebrew, why does each mage have their individual incantation? Does it channel the power in some personal way? Do the words/tone matter, or does whatever work? I'd like the answers to things like that to effect the spells.
    In the game Eternal Darkness (I think that's the title, at least), the magic is based on combining syllables to make different spells, linked in circles of 3, 5, 7 (guessing again; been a while). To cast the spell, the character recites the syllables. Seemed real cool for the game.

EDIT: realized the person above me already referred to Eternal Darkness. Yep, I meant the same game.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2017-12-18 at 03:16 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    In the game Eternal Darkness (I think that's the title, at least), the magic is based on combining syllables to make different spells, linked in circles of 3, 5, 7 (guessing again; been a while). To cast the spell, the character recites the syllables. Seemed real cool for the game.

EDIT: realized the person above me already referred to Eternal Darkness. Yep, I meant the same game.
    We're Eternal Darkness friends now.
    *sanity decreases*
    Or are you a bonethief?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

When in doubt, just translate things into Latin. It doesn't need to be relevant. It can even be something like "Da mihi fermentum"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

The Latin and Russian translation thing got me thinking: in the Inheritance books (and to an extent in D&D 3.5, with truenamers) a spell's incantation is literally a description of what you want the spell to do. In Inheritance
    Spoiler
    Show
    This was a safety feature so that "If you said "Burn that door" while thinking about me, the spell would still burn the door and not me." Incantations aren't strictly necessary, but most people have to use them.
    whereas in D&D it's literally telling the universe what to do.

In Inheritance the descriptions could be as long or as short as you like, with longer ones usually reserved for trying to do very complicated things (if you want to set someone on fire you can literally just yell "Fire!" at them in the Ancient Language) whereas in D&D it's implied they have to be unambiguous and full sentences ("Set fire to the closest goblin to the door out of the ones that I can see,") because they're actual instructions.

And, of course, the difference in what an actual true name can do is immense - in Inheritance it provides you with full control of a creature, whereas in D&D it provides you with the ability to use an utterance with a slightly harder save, if the utterance even allowed one (most of them didn't).

If you want the incantations to be in a language you can speak, you can either make them short descriptions of what you want to do ("Burn!" "Break!" "Control!") or make them actual instructions to the universe ("Burn the closest orc to me!" "Break down that door!" "Control the king!"). It'd be somewhat amusing to have a short-tempered mage who treats the universe like a strong but dim-witted ally who needs constant direction in battle.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

On that note, I'd still prefer an actual foreign language like Latin to a poorly done conlang like the Ancient Language. It's mostly a 1-to-1 correspondence with English.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ilmarë View Post
    On that note, I'd still prefer an actual foreign language like Latin to a poorly done conlang like the Ancient Language. It's mostly a 1-to-1 correspondence with English.
    Oh yeah, though technically you can make some fantasy conlangs work (Tolkien's Elven, I believe, is complete, and I think the masterminds behind making Game of Thrones into a series made Dothraki a real language too. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Aklo is not). I was mostly just pointing out different ways that incantations have been done.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

My favorite was from a YA book of my youth, I will make you disappear

By the seven powers of the seven darknesses, I will make you disappear. Mandrake root and pure earth; I will make you disappear. All that is known to the darkness and the seven powers of the seven darknesses take you, take you, take you.
    Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright, grab a black pearl, some red moss, a clove of garlic, ginseng, a mandrake root, some nightshade, an ounce of spider silk, and some sulfurous ash and repeat after me:

"Vas kal an mani in corp hur tym."
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Ah nal nathrack, utthe be bethutte, doth el envay!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    In the video game Valkyrie Profile, each spell had an incantation that is said when you do it as a 'super move' (I forget the term in the game.) You can probably find them in Youtube. Some of them are pretty cool. However, they're a bit long for playing in a game.

I like it when the incantations are linked to the spell system. For the homebrew, why does each mage have their individual incantation? Does it channel the power in some personal way? Do the words/tone matter, or does whatever work? I'd like the answers to things like that to effect the spells.

More Eternal Darkness buddies! Also, Great Magic is what you were thinking of. Some of them blur the line a bit between incantation and taunt though.
    "No mercy for the damned
    Thus thou hast no escape
    From the grasp of calamity"

Is right on the edge. Meanwhile, "Ye must desire respite from thine empty existance. Thou shalt have it," is pretty clearly over that line.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2017-12-25 at 07:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    More Eternal Darkness buddies!
    We should get together sometime. Want to meet in that room where the floor screams, or the Trapper Dimension?
    Chattur'gha
    Bankorok
    Redgormor

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Treguna Mekoides Trecorum Satis Dee"

Best used for animate objects spells

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Libro View Post
    "Treguna Mekoides Trecorum Satis Dee"

Best used for animate objects spells
    Angela Lansbury is my favorite witch.

27. - Top - End - #27

Naur an edraith ammen.

Also,

Ast kirannan kair soth-arn suh kali jalaran.
    The last crazy minstrel.
    Creature avatar by The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

29. - Top - End - #29

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Sensible suggestion: I always liked the incantations from Neverwinter Nights, which had different incantations for different schools and whether the spell was high level (IIRC at least 4th) or not:

High Conjuration: "Obidie! Davorah! Ses'kah!
    Low Conjuration: "Obidie! Bedua! Val'kat!"
    High Enchantment: "Meyon! Te'trah! Glaash!"
    Low Enchantment: "Gorak! Vu'vocane!"

For some reason, Abjuration doesn't seem to have them, or at least they're not in the standard place in the list of files (I didn't cast enough abjurations to be able to tell you, honestly). But I always liked these.
    Baldur's Gate did the same thing with one chant per school, but using Latin:

1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes" or "Truth, I trust my eyes"
    2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth" or "I, protecting, bring change"
    3) Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without" or "I separate life from death"
    4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind" or "I know, I have learned, I seek [to know more]"
    5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare" or "I prepare a powerful hand"
    6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulcher, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command" or "I control beautiful mysteries"
    7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth" or "I make, I call, I bring"
    8 ) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me" or "I desire bravery; let it be permitted!"

(That's copypasta, the translations may not be 100%)
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

"Piss off"
    - John Constantine exorcising a ghost