New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default You just gained a level in real life! What class would you take?

You can use 3.5 or PF, or give different answers for both. Since you are an ordinary person, not a legendary hero, assume your ability scores use your choice of the nonelite array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) or the standard array (11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10), although you may rearrange them if you so choose, and you can get a +2 to one of them for being human (either as a standard human ability in PF or by giving up your bonus feat and skill points with that one variant human in 3.5). You are subject to normal aging bonuses and penalties. Any abilities you gain are on top of the abilities you already have, so you don't need to worry about simulating your existing skills.

You are now a 1st level character, unless you posted in the thread from last year or the year before, in which case you still have any levels you gained back then (which are locked in), and you are now a higher-level character! (You may retrain using the standard retraining rules.)

(I'm a 3rd level Bardic Sage!)
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2018-01-05 at 01:14 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life! What class would you take?

I'd probably pick Sorcerer. I've probably got at least 11 charisma, so I'd be able to use prestidigitation for most everything I need like cleaning. Pathfinder so I could do it more times per day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    You can use 3.5 or PF, or give different answers for both. Since you are an ordinary person, not a legendary hero, assume your ability scores use your choice of the nonelite array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) or the standard array (11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10), although you may rearrange them if you so choose, and you can get a +2 to one of them for being human (either as a standard human ability in PF or by giving up your bonus feat and skill points with that one variant human in 3.5). You are subject to normal aging bonuses and penalties. Any abilities you gain are on top of the abilities you already have, so you don't need to worry about simulating your existing skills.

You are now a 1st level character, unless you posted in the thread from last year or the year before, in which case you still have any levels you gained back then (which are locked in), and you are now a higher-level character! (You may retrain using the standard retraining rules.)
    Delicious. I might have posted in last years...

Pathfinder
    Arcanist with Blood Arcanist Archetype [Psychic Bloodline].

Dragon 319 Erudite with Convert spell to power.

Either way, I am casting/manifesting without any verbal or somatic shenanigans for most of my powers.
    I think that I would focus mostly on practicing using my powers. I think that covertly using mind altering powers on others would count towards experience points. Anyhow, I'd throw my full focus into developing my abilities, creating new ones, and testing the limits of control of the world I have.

Eventually as an erudite, explicitly, I'd completely fill out all of the arcane lists, as well as the Psion/wilder lists to 8.

Naturally "taking over the world" is first order of business, but I would instead do it by proxy.Disguise self as a political advisor, meet all world leaders, control their minds, and then instead of having world peace, per say, Just far more equitable and even little skirmishes.

As for leisure, having class levels will eventually give rise to me being able to maximize my earning potential. Especially when it comes to investing, trading and the like. I'd probably fence some seed money from a few billionaires first, and then use it to legitimately start my own corporation for engineering research and development (Scholar's touch should help me in gaining entry level knowledge into that field.)

Become futurist, make world better place, live lavishly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

edit: rebuild was denied, still taking a level of mystic ranger.
    Last edited by SirNibbles; 2020-01-04 at 08:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Cleric, it automatically knows it's whole list so I wouldn't have to worry about learning new spells. The cleric spell list in general has a lot of spells that would be practical in real life. Healing, conflict avoidance, utility, aiding others' actions, and so on.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Shaper Psion, enjoy the ability to spontaneously create 1 cubic feet of Misclaneous herbal substances in the comfort of my own home.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

every test I make on the internet tell me I should be a wizard but I think I will take DFA for all day stuff(I like hiking and making fire will be easier).

I can't remember if I posted lest year but if I did I should be Warlock 1/DFA 1

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... Honestly, gotta go Sorcerer. One, it's entirely under my own power. Two because I'm more familiar with that than say, psionics (even though Psion is apparently more versatile). Three, it's SAD. So, I'm debating between a feat and skills or a +2 bonus... Thing is, I don't really need a bonus feat. I presume some level of real-worldness applies to my ability to learn and grow as a person, so I don't really need the skill point. Gonna have to go to with that +2 to my Charisma, taking the non-elite array. So, 8 Str, 10 Dex, 11 Con, 13 Int, 9 Wis, 14 Cha. Reading that first post, I'll gain a level every year. By the time I hit middle-age, I'll not quite have access to 9ths (I'll be around... 17th level, I believe). Pumping Cha at every score increase, I should have access to 9ths right on time. Now for spells at 1st level: 0ths: Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Mending, and Light. 1st: Floating Disk and Silent Image. Carry heavy stuff and illusions! What could be more practical for the friendly neighborhood sorcerer on the go? Little to really defend myself, but unless I get too flashy, I doubt that will be necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Since you are an ordinary person
    *Nonstop laughter*

assume your ability scores use your choice of the nonelite array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) or the standard array (11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10)
    Mine... don't. So the first thing that happens is that I get noticably stronger, a lot tougher, significantly dumber and at least a little more foolish. So I guess what happens is that actually choose something completely different from what I would actually choose at my current mental stat levels, partly because they're not as good wizard or psion stats and partly because I would actually be worse at making the decision.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

I'd go Sorcerer and get the Draconic Heritage(Gold) Feat and Martial Weapon Proficincy(Longsword), with the Wilderness Companion ACF. That would start me on the path to becoming an Elemental Savant(Fire).

Edit: I'll take the non-elite array and Pathfinder Human. Str: 8, Dex: 9, Con: 10, Int: 14(12+2), Wis: 11, Cha: 13. For skills I'll put 2 points in Knowledge(Arcana), 2 points in Knowledge(The Planes), 2 points in Diplomacy, 2 points in Spellcraft, 1 point in Handle Animal, and 2 points in Heal. My Companion would be a dog.
    Last edited by ChaosStar; 2018-01-04 at 08:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Do I get starting gold? Because by real world metrics the amount of starting gold an aristocrat gets is, IIRC, almost comically vast.

EDIT: Only 270 average? Laaaaaaame. Factotum it is, then.
    Last edited by gkathellar; 2018-01-03 at 08:30 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

solarian 1 because love being jedi to bad my shooty stuff comes start at level 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Assuming this thread(s) lives on for several more years, how will you handle PRCs when we get there? Do we need to meet non-build requirements? Lots of PRCs require you to be initiated in some way by an existing member of that PRC - this could be troublesome.
    Spoiler: How to fix T1 classes:
    Show
    There are more posts on the forums about how to nerf T1, than there are posts about T1 characters ruining games. I would say the problem is solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    This? This isn't a slice of brilliance. This is the whole freaking pie.

When you play the game of pwns, you're either w1n or n00b. There is no middle ground.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Pathfinder Arcanist Wordcaster, because it's the most flexible you can possibly get in Pathfinder, and I haven't played nearly as much 3.5.
    I also take the alternate racial trait for Darkvision 60, and my feat goes into Racial Heritage: Roper, so I can climb ceilings and drop on people for fun if I get a few more levels.
    Also, if this continues long enough, I'll be able to get Celerity, which is nice.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Last time:
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Cloistered Cleric 2. Nothing too special this level, though a higher Fort and Will save will be nice.
    So, continuing on with Cloistered Cleric 3. Yay, second level spells! Zone of Truth probably stacks with the bonuses from my "Dad" template, but are probably offset by my daughter reaching 3rd grade. Calm Emotions and Silence could be useful too. Make Whole will be great for household repairs.

EDIT: Hm, never did pick my feats for that originally. I'll have to go back and check a few. (Does a 40-50% hearing loss count as having a Flaw?)
    Last edited by Telonius; 2018-01-03 at 03:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Last year, I picked Warlock with Beguiling Influence and the feats Toughness and Troll-Blooded. I think I'll take another level in Warlock and take Shrouding Transformation. At will Alter Self seems incredibly useful in a world populated solely by humans, so I think I'll go all in for the con artist role. My ability scores will be 9, 8, 10, 13, 11, 12, and I'll put max ranks into Bluff, Disguise, Intimidate, and Sense Motive. At level two, I'll have a Bluff check at +12, Disguise at +18, and Intimidate at +14. Also, a Diplomacy of +11 with no ranks invested. That seems quite nice.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Oh, nice, this topic is back already. Thanks, Troacctid.

Avowed has undergone some changes since last year. Here is some book keeping.
    1st level shape: Aether Ray
    Aether Circus replacement: Aether Erruption
    Hidden Knowledge replacement: Eldritch Knowledge

Now, onto Avowed level 2. Detect magic as a spell-like ability, here I come.
    Bonus feat: Intuitive Recitation.
    New shape: Aether Swarm
    New clause: Aquatic Affinity

And I learned about my brain
    And oh, it made me smarter
    I would break apart the eggshell
    I would fall into the water

And I need a mantra
    I need something I can imitate
    Until I'm breathing like a fish
    Until the purple air is white

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Gotta retrain, mostly because the class that is the closest fit was not around 2 years back when this started. Feats, overall skill point allocation and PrC goals stay mostly the same, tho.

So, hurray, I'm now a 3rd Level LN Human Occultist (no archetype).
    My Implements are: iPhone (Conjuration), MacBook Pro (Divination) and Armani suit (Enchantment).
    Feats are: Amateur Gunslinger, Persuasive and now Betrayer.
    Skills are: Bluff, Craft (Alchemy), Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (Local, Nobility), Profession (Soldier, Merchant, Brewer), Sense Motive - max ranks.

Edit: Sadly, still stuck with knowing only 3 1t level spells.
    Last edited by Florian; 2018-01-03 at 11:27 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    *Nonstop laughter*

Mine... don't. So the first thing that happens is that I get noticably stronger, a lot tougher, significantly dumber and at least a little more foolish. So I guess what happens is that actually choose something completely different from what I would actually choose at my current mental stat levels, partly because they're not as good wizard or psion stats and partly because I would actually be worse at making the decision.
    You forgot the part in the OP where you can rearrange and trade out your bonus feat and skill points to a +2 in a stat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

As a 3rd level psionic artificer I get magical artisan (craft universal device). Then I get myself some resetting traps tied to having levels in psionic artificer technical balderdash. I would first get the spell storing item infusion, as well as guidance of the avatar, fabricate, wall of stone (god bless arcane trapsmith).

I would get a plot of land somewhere on the countryside and build myself a nice stone house.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Woo, now I'm a Psion(seer) 2! I don't get anything at this level other than two more powers known and the ability to use them more per day.

I already knew far hand, precognition, and maybe attraction. Now I learn, hm, empathy and, hm, let's go with call to mind (that would probably have been more useful before I graduated, but it's still useful).

Next year, when I learn clairvoyant sense, will be the really fun one.
    Last edited by Malimar; 2018-01-03 at 12:47 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, thread's back! Fun! So let's see...

In the last thread, I had...

So, allow me to rephrase my answer with more finality. In a world where I am the only PC, this is me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Fel
    Psion (Telepath) 1
    STR: 8
    DEX: 10
    CON: 12
    INT: 261
    WIS: 13
    CHA: 14

Feats: Overchannel (Human bonus feat), Psicrystal Affinity (Psion bonus feat).
    PP/day: 2+42
    Powers Known: Charm, Psionic; Inertial Armor; Mindlink.

1 The 15 in the Elite Array is here replaced by Red Fel's natural Int score, which has previously been established as 26.
    2 INT grants a bonus to PP/day.

In a world where PCs are a thing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Fel
    Erudite (Spell to Power variant) 1

Feats: Overchannel (Human bonus feat), Psicrystal Affinity2.
    PP/day: 2+43
    Powers Known4: Attraction; Demoralize; Far Hand; Inertial Armor; Matter Agitation; Mind Thrust; Missive; Synchronicity; Synesthete; Vigor.

1 The 15 in the Elite Array is here replaced by Red Fel's natural Int score, which has previously been established as 26.
    2 The Spell to Power variant Erudite gains Psicrystal Affinity as a normal Erudite, but loses its bonus feat.
    3 INT grants a bonus to PP/day.
    4 An Erudite starts play with two 1st-level powers known, plus one for every point of INT modifier. Red Fel has an INT modifier of +8.
    So, one level later, I have:

Spoiler: In a world where I am the only PC, this is me:
    Show
    Red Fel
    Psion (Telepath) 2

Feats: Overchannel (Human bonus feat), Psicrystal Affinity (Psion bonus feat).
    PP/day: 6+42
    Powers Known: Attraction; Charm, Psionic; Demoralize; Inertial Armor; Mindlink.

2 INT grants a bonus to PP/day.

When a Psion levels up, he gets two new Powers. Attraction and Demoralize will do well to keep people doing what I want, covertly.

Spoiler: In a world where PCs are a thing:
    Show
    Red Fel
    Erudite (Spell to Power variant) 2

Feats: Overchannel (Human bonus feat), Psicrystal Affinity2.
    PP/day: 6+43
    Powers Known4: Attraction; Demoralize; Disable; Far Hand; Inertial Armor; Matter Agitation; Mind Thrust; Missive; Synchronicity; Synesthete; Telempathic Projection; Vigor.

2 The Spell to Power variant Erudite gains Psicrystal Affinity as a normal Erudite, but loses its bonus feat.
    3 INT grants a bonus to PP/day.
    4 An Erudite starts play with two 1st-level powers known, plus one for every point of INT modifier. Red Fel has an INT modifier of +8.

An Erudite, likewise, gets two powers, here Disable and Telempathic Projection. Ideal for expanding my repertoire of tools to manipulate the feeble masses.

Sadly, it will be another year before I get a new feat, but I'll bide my time. In either event, at this point, I can pretty much get anybody to do pretty much anything I like.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'd go summoner from pathfinder. At only first level I would have most of the useful cantrips for day to day life. No prestidigitation but thats fine. on top of that i have this Eidolon friend. Basically perfectly loyal companion/guard animal with human level intelegence for my whole life

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Well, I posted in the first thread, but not the second. I guess that makes me StP erudite 2 or 3. If StP erudite 3, I get to take a feat! Hmmm... assuming Linked Power and Metapower were taken at 1, I might go with, I don't know... Midnight Augmentation, prep for the Psicarnum Infusion combo? Can't take Psionic Meditation yet, due to that stupid Concentration requirement .
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Monk. While mapping real world stuff to D&D stats is always dicey, I don't see any reasonable interpretation of +2 to every save that isn't pretty nice.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

I clearly need to re-read the previous threads, but, before I forget... If I remember right, I took my 1st level in Crusader (uugh, so suboptimal), and my second in Arcane Spellcaster? If this is correct, I suppose I'll continue in Arcane Spellcaster.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

As mentioned before, I'm going Monk of the Four Winds, though I will re-train from Beastsoul Monk to Street Fighter and just take the Transformation(Perfect Imitation) feat for my shapeshifting needs. As for my Martial tradition (which I would qualify for by retraining into the Street Fighter archetype), judging on my SCA fighting style, would be Pikeman, as that's what I fought with. That and I'll spend my talents into the Athletic sphere, as the that would make getting into shape easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I would have to imagine that it would be hard to find a way to get more experience after gaining your first class level. D&D requires you to kill or at least defeat creatures to gain experience from them, and in real life people tend to be very against murder/assault and battery. There are few real world occupations that allow for the routine beating up of creatures without some sort of serious repercussion or unnecessary danger. Likewise most "monsters" in real life tend to be worth very low experience when compared to D&D, so there would need to be tedious amounts of grinding to progress in any reasonable amount of time.

I think that I would be fine as a wizard. While a fairly boring choice, I can choose to have a cat familiar just grind rats for me while I go about my day or at least round them up for me to kill later. If we use pathfinder rules I could do this until I reach level 20 as XP is constant.
    But if we use 3.5 rules that strategy doesn't really work as well because XP scales, but it should get me high enough where I would be able to find alternate solutions.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    *Nonstop laughter*

Remember, any abilities you gain are on top of the abilities you already have. You don't lose any of your existing skills or abilities; however, any new abilities will key off of the stat array you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Assuming this thread(s) lives on for several more years, how will you handle PRCs when we get there? Do we need to meet non-build requirements? Lots of PRCs require you to be initiated in some way by an existing member of that PRC - this could be troublesome.
    You don't have this information when making your decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    (Does a 40-50% hearing loss count as having a Flaw?)
    No.

In a world where I am the only PC, this is me:

Red Fel
    Psion (Telepath) 2
    See the answer I gave Jormengand.

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    Well, I posted in the first thread, but not the second. I guess that makes me StP erudite 2 or 3. If StP erudite 3, I get to take a feat! Hmmm... assuming Linked Power and Metapower were taken at 1, I might go with, I don't know... Midnight Augmentation, prep for the Psicarnum Infusion combo? Can't take Psionic Meditation yet, due to that stupid Concentration requirement .
    You only gain the level if you post in the thread, so you would be level 2.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Paladin 1. Stats don't matter. I now say "Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu" and I get all I really want in life. Of course by becoming Pun Pun.