New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default What Do These Do?

Here's a list of items, spells, PrCs, creatures, and base classes for which I have a name but no concept. Tell me what they do, and I'll figure out how they do it.

(Last Updated 01-11-2007)

Spells

Items
    • Prismatic Ring
    • Picturebox

PrCs

Creatures
    • Lucavan Pinscher
    • Hubriarut
    • Cyclone Rat
    • Pendulous
    • Elemental Vermin

Materials
    • Durestral
    • Aetherine
    • Xandelare

Alternatively, give me suggestions.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-01-12 at 05:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: What Do These Do?

Hmm. I would say that ray of displacement teleports someone to another location in a battle, "displacing" them from whatever position they'd previously managed to obtain. Wall of displacement would have a similar effect, but instead of affecting targets via a ray, it affects anyone who runs into it.

Picturebox is, quite obviously, the magical equivalent of a camera. It might have arcane eye and silent image as prerequisites, possibly a charged item.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Cyclone rat...some kind of rattish creature that flies amongst storms and attacks anything unlucky enough to be knocked off their feet by the winds.
    I dunno...
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Ray of Displacement
    Conjuration (Teleportation)
    Level: Sorceror/Wizard 4
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25' + 5'/2 levels)
    Effect: Ray
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes

On successfully striking an opponent, a ray of displacement moves a target between 5' and 50' in a random direction. Roll a d10 to determine distance and roll on the miss chart for grenadelike weapons to determine direction. This spell only moves targets horizontally; it cannot move them vertically. Furthermore, if the target of the spell would end up inside of an object due to this spell, it is shunted towards the nearest open space, taking 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage for each 5'.

Wall of Displacement
    Conjuration (Teleportation)
    Level: Sorceror/Wizard 6
    Components: V, S, M
    Range: Medium (50' + 10'/level)
    Effect: Wall (see text)
    Duration: 1 minute/level
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates

A wall of displacement spell creates a barrier of displacing energy 5' wide and 10' tall. This wall is 10' long for each caster level (so that a spellcaster of CL 12 would have a wall 120' long).

Any creature or object moving through the wall must make a Reflex save or be teleported between 5' and 50' in a random direction. Roll a d10 to determine distance and roll on the miss chart for grenadelike weapons to determine direction. This spell only moves targets horizontally; it cannot move them vertically. Furthermore, if the target of the spell would end up inside of an object due to this spell, it is shunted towards the nearest open space, taking 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage for each 5'.

Missiles (including those created by spells) traveling through the wall are teleported and then continue in the direction they were going prior. Creatures and objects that are teleported within the wall due to this spell receive a second save at a -5 penalty. Should they fail again, they are teleported a second time.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-01-10 at 03:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Staccato blast is a high-level spell that launches a massive rapidfire battery
    of projectiles in a line--anyone prone when the spell is fired is not struck. The line of effect stops with the first person that it strikes, but if they fall, the remainder will continue to the maximum range.

Think like magic missiles on crack.
    Also, think like a damage spell worth taking for a wizard.
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

* Heartwood Warrior

I'm thinking either a Fighter-like class for a Druid type, or a Druid-like class for a Fighter type...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Stacatto Blast
    Evocation [Force]
    Level: Sorceror/Wizard 7
    Range: Medium (50' + 10'/level)
    Effect: Line; see text
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates; see text

The caster creates several small missiles of force (the same kind that are created during a magic missile spell), one for each caster level. These missiles deal 1d6 points of damage, +1 point per caster level (to a maximum of +20).

These missiles fire out from the caster's outstreched finger in rapid succession. The line continues to the first obstruction in the path of the spell, which must make a reflex save or be struck by the missiles. A successful reflex save dodges the effect and continues the line outwards, forcing the next target in the line to make a reflex save. Creatures of medium size or smaller who are prone also avoid the effect.

Also, updated top list.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-01-10 at 03:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Stacatto Blast- I'm getting the impression of a multiple-missle 'sound burst'-like spell, like one for every two levels or something and you can choose where each one's centered- possibly they'd be five-foot radius instead of ten?

Burnout- Burnout implies both fire, and tiredness to me. Perhaps it does both fire and subdual damage?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Spiritmaster sounds like a shamanistic PrC... Soulsmith would probably be a dwarven cleric or Incarnum-based PrC...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

You've got your ranges wrong, Fax. Close range is 25' + 5'/2 caster levels, while Medium is 100' + 10'/ caster level.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Burnout
    Abjuration/Evocation [Fire]
    Level: Sorceror/Wizard 4
    Range: Close (25' + 5'/2 levels)
    Target: 1 opposing spellcaster
    Saving Throw: See text
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell interrupts an opponent who is in the process of casting a spell. The target must make a Concentration check at DC 20 + caster level + spell level or lose the spell. If they fail the check, they also take 1d4 points of fire damage per level of the spell lost, and 1d4 points of subdual damage per each of their caster levels.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2007-01-10 at 06:05 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Arise is a true hero's standby--when cast on someone, for five minutes/level they resurrect to half HP three rounds after they're dropped into negative hit points--even if they've been killed.
    Each casting requires experience points and an expensive material component.
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Spells
    • Ray of Coruscading Energy - Should be 'Coruscating'
    • Prismatic Vigor - clerical spell which produces 7 revolving lights in a halo; also grants the cleric DR 5/alignment while operating. Each light can counter specific negative effects or issue a buff (all based on colour), at which time it disappears. One buff/counteragent per round, one minute per level max duration. Another thought... if DR 5 isn't sufficient to entice casters to take the spell, maybe give them fast healing 1 for each 4 caster levels too(max 5)
    • Wall of Displacement
    • Stacatto Blast
    • Burnout
    • Ray of Displacement
    • Magnetic Pulse - Can be focused either inward (all metal drawn to a central point, metal armor wearers taking a penalty on reflex and all who meet at the center taking falling damage commensurate with distance traveled) or outward (flung outward 10 feet per caster level and take 1d6 per 10 feet travelled if blocked, and are knocked prone). Reflex negates, and iron golems take 1d6 for each two caster levels(max 10d6), no save. And no SR; this is physics.
    • Burning Apparition - material components: 1 wheelbarrow, 1 holocaust cloak and a small bucket of pitch.
    • Divine Transformation - target creature receives +3/+3. Oh wait... umm... temporary self-morph to half-celestial template? :)
    • Arise
    • Mark of Fury
    Items
    • Prismatic Ring
    • Picturebox - 3/day: When activated, the picturebox affects any creature with int>3 (within 60 feet and with line of sight) as if fascinated by bardic music for up to 1 minute. Skill prereq for creation: Perform (any variety) 13 ranks
    PrCs
    • Heartwood Warrior
    • Spiritmaster
    • Soulsmith
    • Fisher of Men
    Creatures
    • Lucavan Pinscher
    • Hubriarut
    • Cyclone Rat

Alternatively, give me suggestions.
    Dangit, since it read my modifications as your post it wouldn't let me post 'til I typed this. Of course, this is a bit more than the 10 characters it asked me to type...
    Last edited by fangthane; 2007-01-10 at 04:20 PM.
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

14. - Top - End - #14

Zombie

Mark of fury sounds like the Mark of Justice, only it forces the victim into a wild rage. How evil....

Soulsmith sounds like some kind of magical craftsman that bonds spirits to armor and weapons, kind of like an intellignet armor or weapon?
    Ceika is amazing, because she made my Yuna avie. Yay Ceika!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Soulsmith should probably involve incarnum in some way, but maybe not.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Fisher of Men? Some kind of Prestige Class for low level Commoners...?
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

No, no, the Fisher of Men should be something related to evangelical-type clerics, since it comes from the Bible.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Arise
    Necromancy
    Level: Paladin 3, Cleric 5
    Components: V, S, M, XP
    Range: Touch
    Target: Touched creature with less than 0 HP
    Duration: 1 min/level
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

The creature touched by the spellcaster immediately regains consciousness, stabilizes, and gains hit points equal to 1/2 their total maximum. These hit points disappear at the end of the duration, and the creature (regardless of their current status) returns to the same level of hit points they had prior to the casting of the spell.

Material component: Diamond dust worth at least 1000 gp
    XP Cost: 750 xp

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

• Divine Transformation - target creature receives +3/+3. Oh wait... umm... temporary self-morph to half-celestial template? :)
    Too much like Greater Visage of the Deity.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Mark of fury might get someone into a rage, this could be both offensive and defensive, as someone in a rage is not gonna mind how he's attacking, much like a barbarian rage but more nasty. Becoming an animal with killing on the brain.

Prismatic ring: A ring that changes collor and affects your combat abilities acordingly
    red -> fire damage
    Purple -> save or go insane

much like prismatic spray but in a ring.

21. - Top - End - #21

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    Too much like Greater Visage of the Deity.
    Heh, I didn't actually have anything constructive to say about that one, other than the M:tG reference... Been a long, long time since I played M:tG too; I'd have sworn I remembered it being +4/+4 but an online lookup proved me wrong.
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    No, no, the Fisher of Men should be something related to evangelical-type clerics, since it comes from the Bible.
    The fisher of men could have a more sinister, diabolic connotations. Sure it's a biblical reference, but that doesn't mean you can't take it partially or completely out of context. That seems to be the primary use of it nowadays...

(ok..I'm laying off the snarky comments for a while...promise...maybe)

Some sort or manipulation/illusion focus for a divine caster maybe? They snare the hearts of men, what they do with the hearts afterwards is between them and god. Seems to me that, yes, a Fisher of Men would serve as the evangelical arm of his god, ordained as a priest or not. Their methods, though, could be a tad suspect. They use magic or possibly some bardic music-like performace check to "Preach the word" inserting Suggestion spells and what-have-you. Maybe they get access to some showy "miracles" to hoodwink the commoners and then pass the collection plate at the end of the sermon.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Mark of Fury
    Transmutation [Evil]
    Level: Cleric 3, Druid 4
    Components: V, S, DF
    Casting Time: 1 minute
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature touched
    Duration: Permanent
    Saving Throw: Will partial; see text

By scribing a sigil on the target and imbuing it with magical energy, the spellcaster can force the target into performing actions in line with his alignment. When the mark is upon the target, any actions that do not coincide with the alignment of the caster automatically cause the target to fly into a wild fury. The target gains +4 to Strength and Constitution, gains a +2 bonus to Will saves, and takes a -2 penalty to AC. This fury lasts for a number of rounds equal to the spellcaster's Charisma modifier plus the target's improved Constitution modifier. At the end of this duration, the target becomes exhausted.

Each round the target is under the fury, it receives a Will save. A successful save will stave off the effects of the fury for one round, but causes the target to instead be sickened for one round.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Burnout
    Casting Time: 1 immediate action
    This spell interrupts an opponent who is in the process of casting a spell.
    Don't think even immediate actions can interrupt standard actions, so unless the spell's got a full-round casting time, you'd still have to ready Burnout. In which case, you might as well make it a standard action...
    Work in progress.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Then explain how an AoO or a readied action can disrupt spellcasting.
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2007-01-10 at 05:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Point taken.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

LIO, I just said that readied actions can work. Not the same as an immediate action.
    Work in progress.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Oh, I missed that.

29. - Top - End - #29

When I saw Fisher of Men, I just thought,"evil." It sounds fairly sinister to me. Possibly similar to the mindbender in Complete Arcane, but Cleric-oriented? As for the Hubriarut, it could be some demon or mischevious spirit that spreads arrogance and pride. I'm not good with stats.
    Last edited by Reptilius; 2007-01-10 at 06:10 PM.
    Goblin Shaman by Simius

Creations:
    The Battle Psychic Martial Adept

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Fisher of Men...maybe, instead of the evilness, someone who "draws out" a person's truth self, like a fisher reeling up a fish? Maybe giving people buffs that affect things they're already good at. If you're familiar with Unknown Armies, think something along the lines of a Personomancer, but with more of a focus on augmenting positive aspects of the self.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.