New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Ways To Get Immunity To Non-lethal damage without being a construct

Title says is all. Without being a construct/living construct etc, I want to know how to be immune to non-lethal damage.
    Homebrew: Ghost Rider, a 3.5e Base Class inspired by Marvel's Comics.

So guys, the new Iron Man trailer, huh?

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ways To Get Immunity To Non-lethal damage without being a construct

You can become an undead, most likely via the Necropolitan template, although since you don't want to be a construct you probably don't want to be undead either.

While it's not exactly immunity, if you get a source of permanent or semi-permanent Regeneration (such as via the Troll-Blooded feat) or Fast Healing (most likely via Persisted Lesser Vigor, or by being a Warshaper in an alternate form) then you'll be healed of the damage quite quickly, unless it's a rather large amount.
    Last edited by senrath; 2011-03-28 at 03:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I think plants are immune to non-lethal. Could be mistaken, plus I can't think of an easy way to become a plant (Woodling template? LA +3, so not necessarily easy.)
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

This thread might be of interest.

Also of note, Living Constructs do NOT have immunity to non-lethal by default. They only gain it if they take levels in Warforged Jgugernaut.

You could also take levels in Bone Knight PrC (5 nations) which grants various tasty undead immunities, without actually turning you into undead.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2011-03-28 at 04:42 AM.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

I believe there are a few spells which grant immunity to non-lethal damage, such as ilmater's favour (player's guide to faerun?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

If you're willing to import feats from other (non-D&D) D20 products, there's a feat in Conan D20 that does pretty much that, iirc. It should be "Tough as Nails" but I don't remember what splat it was from... sorry for not being more helpful.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Spell Compendium: Favor of the Martyr.

With DMM: Persist, it'll give you immunity to nonlethal damage, charm and compulsion, attacks that function by causing pain (specifically), daze, exhaustion, fatigue, nausea, sickening, staggering, and stunning. You'll also not fall unconscious at negative HP, and not lose HP for acting. Finally, you'll get the benefit of the Endurance feat during the spell.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The Crimson Scourge PrC (Cityscape) gets this as a class ability - Deadened Hide (?). Can't remember what level off the top of my head.

I seem to remember a build someone made: a 1/2 Green Dragon War Troll with levels in Crimson Scourge - as he is immune to acid, his regeneration converts ALL damage to nonlethal, which he ignores via Crimson Scourge.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

A magic item that casts regenerate on you ev ery round?

10. - Top - End - #10

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by The Winter King View Post
    A magic item that casts regenerate on you ev ery round?
    That's only effective immunity, not immunity. I was basically looking at how easy it would be to become immune to damage. An item of Favor of the Martyr seems the best option, for only 110000 gp, give or take a few thousand. Add regeneration, natural acid immunity and a ring of fire immunity, and what'll you do?

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

[Death] effects.

[Polymorph] effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogidubnus View Post
    Add regeneration, natural acid immunity and a ring of fire immunity, and what'll you do?
    -Use Hellfire/Searing Fire/Divine Fire which ignores conventional fire immunity.
    -Knock out via Ability Damage/Drain (Con damage/drain will kill)
    -Energy Drain
    -Suffocate by drowning/throwing into a vaccum
    -Insta-kill Death Effects
    -Holy Word (with sufficiently high CL) instakill.
    -Petrification, Polymorph, Non-HP Disintegrate effects
    -Trollbane poison shuts down regeneration for one hit
    -Greymantle spell shuts down regeneration for 1 CL/round
    -Decapitation by Vorpal weapon
    -Mind-Flayer insta-kill brain eating attacks
    -Planeshift to positive energy plane where you explode due to excessive HP

Ya'know, basically stuff that people come up with to kill the Emerald Legion.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

13. - Top - End - #13

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    [Death] effects.

[Polymorph] effects.
    I mean to deal damage, as opposed to killing it.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Take a War-Troll.. add the half-black dragon template.. gives acid immunity. make him a level 5 wizard with 10 levels of Pale Master ... he is almost immune to everything except needing to eat sleep and breathe. then we need to take few feats.. namely Tomb-Tainted Soul and Tomb-Born Vitality the latter making you not required to eat or sleep (except to rest for 8 hours to regain spells).
    all damage to you becomes non-lethal you are immune to non-lethal. you also are immune to death effects, ability drain, ability score damage, basicly everything except suffication and aging. now go out and ruin a game or two. :)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Sichvot View Post
    Take a War-Troll.. add the half-black dragon template.. gives acid immunity. make him a level 5 wizard with 10 levels of Pale Master ... he is almost immune to everything except needing to eat sleep and breathe. then we need to take few feats.. namely Tomb-Tainted Soul and Tomb-Born Vitality the latter making you not required to eat or sleep (except to rest for 8 hours to regain spells).
    all damage to you becomes non-lethal you are immune to non-lethal. you also are immune to death effects, ability drain, ability score damage, basicly everything except suffication and aging. now go out and ruin a game or two. :)
    At ECL 36 that's underpowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.