New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Digital PDF versions of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, On the Origin of PCs now on sale!

Yeah, I got nothing at all, and I did check my spam folder, nothing there either. My credit card did successfully get charged though, so the transaction did go through. I guess I'll try emailing Gumroad and seeing if they can do anything.
    Thanks everyone for your help

2. - Top - End - #62
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Digital PDF versions of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, On the Origin of PCs now on sale!

Email may usually work nearly instantaneously, but there's no actual guarantee of that in its design specification. It's rare, but I have had emails take multiple hours to arrive before.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

YES. Instant purchase Book 0 - international postage has previously been too much for me. Will be getting Book 1 next month

Avatar by me ; more art available on my deviantArt page.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Just purchased both of them. No problems, got the emails within 1 minute each and the downloads completed within a couple of minutes to Australia.

I'd like to say that I think this is a great idea. I do understand the risk that Rich is taking that some people will make these available through peer to peer networks, but I think it's a risk worth taking and I applaud Rich for this new option.

I already have all the books in paper form (2 copies of "Start of Darkness" as I was lucky enough to get one of the "patience for a signed book" packages back in the kick starter drive). But it's really worthwhile to me having the .pdfs.

First, I want to support Rich's efforts and ensure that this story can be told all the way to the conclusion. I've been reading for about 5 years and now have a lot of emotional investment in the characters and the narrative.

Second, I really like having an offline copy on my phone, because I fly a lot for work and also use metro trains a lot where I often don't have 3G/4G signal. I did think about downloading each comic off the website and putting it on a local file app on my iPhone.. but I wasn't quite sure if that was OK from a copyright perspective and in any case, it would be a LOT of work.

I love this great new option for having the comics available for offline use on my phone. I like .pdf as it's so cross platform and flexible. I almost never download DRM infested media. I've never bought a single song or video from iTunes, even though I have an iPhone. The reason is that I want cross platform support and flexibility. These .pdf options are perfect.

If someone wanted to abuse these .pdfs, they could, by using a "disposable" email. But equally, they could download each graphic from the website and then scan in the bonus material from the physical books. I think that most of the people inclined to buy these .pdfs would still buy them honestly, to support Rich, even if they could download them from peer to peer locations. I know I would.

Thanks again Rich for a great story that continues to surprise me. Although I dread the day that OOTS does come to an end, the journey there has been great and continues to be very enjoyable.
    Last edited by lothos; 2015-08-27 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Corrected paragraph order and added 1 more comment.
    Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club
    -- Lothos now Half Orc in playground, other half also Orc --

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lothos View Post
    I almost never download DRM infested media.
    Completely irrelevant story time!

Back like, 7 years ago or so, I was looking around in a Best Buy and saw the perfect birthday present for my best freind's girlfriend (now wife) - a vinyl record of the Police. It was her favorite band, and while I'm sure she had most, if not all, of their music digitally, and this gift would effectively force them to buy a record player, a rather large part of why I bought it was the very, very big sticker on the shrink wrap that proclaimed, "DRM FREE!"

Advertising works wonders, if you know what aspect to advertise. Whoever came up with that idea deserved their cut of the twenty bucks.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lothos View Post
    If someone wanted to abuse these .pdfs, they could, by using a "disposable" email.
    Not really, unless they can also use a disposable credit card, and therefore bank account - the money has to come from somewhere, even if you pay through "[email protected]". As to the feasibility of it, I would hope that as well as the visible watermark on page one, they used steganography to place invisible watermarks in other places, just in case.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Not really, unless they can also use a disposable credit card, and therefore bank account - the money has to come from somewhere, even if you pay through "[email protected]". As to the feasibility of it, I would hope that as well as the visible watermark on page one, they used steganography to place invisible watermarks in other places, just in case.

Grey Wolf
    EDIT. Ya know what, let me not point out how easy it is to get around these things.

Point is, anyone dedicated enough can if they want, and that will almost always be the case. The precautions against are pretty decent, I think.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2015-08-27 at 10:31 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #68
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    So only DCF has new commentary stuff compared to the print version?
    Yes, that's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Question - will I need to buy the PDF for DCF in order to read the new essay? I really want to read it, so I definitely will if so.
    Eventually, when the current supplies of paper DCF copies runs out and I need to reprint, I will reprint this version—with the updated fonts and the extra essay—rather than the old one. However, we are likely years away from running out, and given that I know I've just reduced demand for the print version by putting the digital version on sale, we may never run out while the comic is still going.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

9. - Top - End - #69

Folks, please do not discuss how to defeat the only anti-piracy measure I put on there. I don't want to give anyone any ideas.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

Here's something -- because this version is PDF, rather than an image, it makes it possible to read text that was obscured in the original. For instance, Vaarsuvius's speech in #10.

Edit: Hm, apparently this applies only to Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, not OtOoPCs. The latter doesn't seem to have any of its text storted as text in the PDF outside of the preface and such.
    Last edited by Sniffnoy; 2015-08-28 at 02:08 AM.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

Have you considered selling "Ten Years of Crawlin'," for a humble price? Like $1 or $2 or something? I already have all the paperbacks, so I don't really feel motivated to shell out $15 just for an article, but I'd like to read the article.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As an overseas fan who never felt like paying more for international shipping fees than the costs of the books themselves:

Thank you, Giant.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

I would love to be able to do something like that, but there's just no logistical way. I wouldn't know how I could possibly verify that someone had bought the book previously, considering they've been sold in comic book and game stores for years; it's not like I have a giant database of who owns the books. And even if we could verify it, I don't think Gumroad has the functionality to offer individualized or restricted-use coupon codes—just general across-the-board discounts.
    The only thing I can think of (and it would only work if Gumroad has a feature that allows it) would be, for future books only, having a code given to each buyer that they can use to get the book they just bought as a pdf for a reduced price. That implies knowing for sure the book will be released as a pdf at some point though, and wouldn't be retroactive for people who already bought print books. It also sounds like a huge hassle. (Actually come to think of it, previous orders made through ookoodook could probably be tracked as well, and codes emailed for those as well. Still seems to early to worry about it, and probably too much work).

I'm excited about this. I'm not sure if I'll ever buy those, I tend to prefer paper versions, but I may. They're pretty cheap. I'm extremely stoked that the PDF may means an eventual release in other languages would be easier down the line, since there may be no printing costs involved if you decided to release them in PDF form first (or only). Although of course, it may still not be worth it depending on demand, and you'd still have translation-related costs (even though some of your fans are professional translators, you may not accept a free service for a variety of reasons), and at any rate it may make more sense not to even think about it until the whole story is over (you've got enough on your plate). But still, excited that it may be a little bit more likely in the future than it has been.

I'm hoping that a large portion of the people who love the comic and read it online but haven't purchased the books will get at least OtOoPCs, which until now wasn't available digitally anywhere at all. My gut tells me it will sell better than DCFs. My gut has been knows to lie to me, though, so who knows.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I'm a happy owner of all the dead Durkon arch-enemy versions of the books, Giant-signed and doodled on c/o the Kickstarter.

Here's my question. To GIFT these to someone, I just buy them again and enter my giftee's email? I'm assuming that will (a) put their email address on the book cover, and (b) send them the download link. If that's how it goes, I should warn them to look out for emails from Gumroad in their mailbox and spambox?

Struggling with getting them for myself too, because gotta have 'em digitally as well. It's not like I've never double-dipped on Star Wars Blu-rays, or compilation CDs...

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_DW View Post
    Here's my question. To GIFT these to someone, I just buy them again and enter my giftee's email? I'm assuming that will (a) put their email address on the book cover, and (b) send them the download link. If that's how it goes, I should warn them to look out for emails from Gumroad in their mailbox and spambox?
    Yes, you could definitely do that, though as you say, make sure they know to look for the email immediately or they might miss it. I don't know if there's a way to retrieve a download link if they accidentally delete the email. I guess we'll all find out together when someone does it by accident.
    Rich Burlew

16. - Top - End - #76
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hm, Giant, for the sake of completeness, I'd suggest you add a link to Gumroad in the "Shop" section?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Excellent news! :-D

18. - Top - End - #78
    Halfling in the Playground

Is there any way to get the retrospective essay without dropping another $15 on a book I already own? I don't intend to pirate it, but I do kind of want to read it.

19. - Top - End - #79

DwarfFighterGirl

Thank you very much!

20. - Top - End - #80

Lizardfolk

Edit: Question asked-and-answered in the original post, yay reading!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Essence_of_War View Post
    As a related question, do these pdfs come with any Digital Rights Management?

I don't buy DRM'd media, and if these pdfs don't have any, I'd be very interested in purchasing them to support you and have a more portable copy of the work for when I travel.
    From the OP:
    • No digital rights management—just a single watermark on the front cover!
    GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

I already have the print editions, but I'm seriously tempted to get DCF for the added commentary. And when I say "tempted," I mean "going to."

Quote Originally Posted by Essence_of_War View Post
    As a related question, do these pdfs come with any Digital Rights Management?

I don't buy DRM'd media, and if these pdfs don't have any, I'd be very interested in purchasing them to support you and have a more portable copy of the work for when I travel.
    I get how DRM works with video games, but how does one do that with a mere PDF?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kivzirrum View Post
    I get how DRM works with video games, but how does one do that with a mere PDF?
    Like so.

Grey Wolf

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Like so.

Grey Wolf
    I see.

Thanks for the edification!

25. - Top - End - #85

I am buying them now!!!

-and seriously, way to rain on the parade of someone doing us a kindness with theory crafting doom and gloom!
    Folks, please do not discuss how to defeat the only anti-piracy measure I put on there. I don't want to give anyone any ideas.

26. - Top - End - #86

Lizardfolk

From the OP:

GW
    Yay, reading comprehension FTW :P

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

I never bought the hard copies exactly because I abhor physical objects at this point in life. One, they take up room I don't have, and two, save the trees.

I am so, so, so, so happy that these are finally being released in digital format. It allows me to read those books that aren't part of the main comic, which I never had a chance to do before. It also allows me to support you when I wasn't willing, or able, to before. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
    -Draz

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Great stuff.

Already have them both in paper form, but these are much better. Would love to have a full set in PDF on my iPad.

*Publish, Publish, Publish, Publish, the rest of the books on PDF*
    Real Life? - so what is that then?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yes, you could definitely do that, though as you say, make sure they know to look for the email immediately or they might miss it. I don't know if there's a way to retrieve a download link if they accidentally delete the email. I guess we'll all find out together when someone does it by accident.
    At least for me, I can just click the links in your OP that I used to purchase them and download them from there, the same as if I had downloaded them from the email. I assume they have some way of remembering whether or not you have purchased a given PDF on a specific computer.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you buy both it produces a Tweet that is too long and a Facebook link which is 'Gumroad - 404'.

I fixed the first of those but not the second.

Fortunately, the books are awesome. Can we download a second time please - so I can have a copy on my iPad and one on my PC?
    Real Life? - so what is that then?