New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ponythread Learns to Draw! Together!

No, no dragon mech was planned. The diamond dog conflict was rather minor, and Spike practically never appears anywhere near any action. I thought to have him try to call on, and pilot, RD's Tenacity in the encounter with Discord, hilariously failing the combination manuever, but other than that I didn't really want to use him.

If this were Super Robot Wars and the M6 were Masou Kishin pilots (six instead of four), then every one of them would have their companions in battle as support.

Gilda is, likewise, a fairly minor villain (as is Trixie), but I suppose in honor of the Power Rangers' usual silliness, having her fight all six Rangers, lose, turn into a giant mech, kick their and their machines' plots to next Tuesday, then lose to the combined MegaHORD, would be appropriate.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

2. - Top - End - #422

Can anyone tell me what's going on with the forum? I made a post, it shows up in the forum view, but not in the thread.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

3. - Top - End - #423
    Colossus in the Playground

Fixin' that problem for you, long explain's in the PM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Firbolg in the Playground

No, no dragon mech was planned. The diamond dog conflict was rather minor, and Spike practically never appears anywhere near any action. I thought to have him try to call on, and pilot, RD's Tenacity in the encounter with Discord, hilariously failing the combination manuever, but other than that I didn't really want to use him.
    Nah, not that one, the big one. With the long neck and big ol'row of spines and such, like the adults we have seen so far.. Something like a superpowered evil side the team has to beat without there meches, probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

5. - Top - End - #425

Ooh, that might be nice. But I didn't think beyond the show's first season so far. The second season really lacks some good villains to pit the cast against.

edit: I'm trying to set up some character interaction on this piece, so far trying not to ignore perspective outright and paint a big picture first.

Spoiler
    Show

I swear, I started humming "Art of the Dress" while drawing this.

Stroke by stroke, sketching it together...

edit2: well, at least this forum allows to manually delete posts. I'll be abusing this power to avoid multiposting, if you don't mind. It'd really be useful if edits to the last post marked the thread as unread.

edit3: I wanted to try and alter the Mercy's mane style (tentacle hair doesn't work with "adorable" in most cases), but ended up going in a different direction entirely and colored the whole thing. I can't decide whether the yellow-white flare in the background to the Ranger figure is appropriate or gaudy, but I'm pretty certain that with all the color around it, the mech looks positively flat. Needs more subtle shading work. Or, as I like to call it, shady work.

Spoiler
    Show

edit4: Shady work:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2012-01-02 at 11:09 AM.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

Hey drawthread. Long time no see.

Your stuff is looking good Sean! Looking forward to seeing the Rarity robot finished.

So.... remember that action scene challenge Droid gave us? Weeeeeell, yesterday I took a shot at something. It was big and ambitious for someone of my current skill level, but that's how I roll.
    Spoiler
    Show

I know it's hard to tell, but that's Scootaloo evading a dragon's smoke breath on her scooter. Those lines going from the centre were supposed to help with the perspective. Notice how I barely used them XD

And today, I was a little bored so I opened up MS paint and took out the crayon tool. Why? Why not!? :D
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's see if I can't keep up this one drawing a day thing.
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2012-01-02 at 03:34 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yikes, I haven't been around here in ages. I hope to be on a bit more now that the holidays are over though.

This is the first piece of digital art I have done in a while, the horn really bothers me but I can't seem to find a way to improve the look (everything I tried made it worse ).

Spoiler
    Show

Just my pony-sona reading some Poe.

@Sean Mirrsen: Those Mechs are amazing!

8. - Top - End - #428
    Dwarf in the Playground

Last night, I typed up a post, posted it, saw it existed on the forum, then went to bed. Now after I return, my post has vanished and I cannot find it! I weep for it. Was it's existence only an elaborate dream?

Anyway,

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Funnily enough, I don't play/run D&D either. Nor any of the other mainstreamish PnP tabletop RPG systems. What I like is RTD, Roll To Dodge, which is a mostly forum-based game system with no roots in PnP gaming that I could find. RTDs and my own Multiworlds setting were my primary focus and drawing inspiration before ponies happened to trot by.
    I looked up that system, it sounds very simple and interesting. I'll have to find a forum and see how a game develops. It's odd, I don't play role playing games, but I like seeing how they work out, the game systems, rules, how much is predetermined by the GM, how much isn't .etc.

Also, until now, I never thought about it, but Rainbow Dash would probably make a rather flawed pilot or car driver. Not so much on the reflexes or anything that, she would be awesome, but in the fact that she tries to push herself beyond her limits. Through insane stunts, speed or what have you. However, if you push a machine beyond it's limits, it doesn't crash, but become stronger. It just breaks. And I don't think Rainbow Dash has the say, more engineering, or scientific thinking to build a better jet/car/ or mech.
    Of course, these mechs are powered by Magic and Friendship so the above reasoning need not apply.

Ooh, that might be nice. But I didn't think beyond the show's first season so far. The second season really lacks some good villains to pit the cast against.

edit: I'm trying to set up some character interaction on this piece, so far trying not to ignore perspective outright and paint a big picture first.

*snip*
    Must not make reference to overused meme about the pose and point of view of this picture and certain anatomical features shown in it...
    I must say, I'm surprised you didn't give the mech she's slapping sunglasses...
    Oh I like the idea of Rarity being a medic, transposing her skill with clothing materials onto skill with mechs. I would never have thought of that!

Annoying tad bit, the mech she's slapping's head is level with the floor, it would look more forceful if it was tilted upwards, possibly just a tad maybe more. As it is now, the actionlines of the tail are going from the bottom up in a uppercutting motion, and it looks like his head is slightly going from left to right in a forceful manner. Which is good as the tail is going left, then back right, but the upwards force of the tail uppercut is lost. Or something. I hope this makes sense.

And while I don't sing out loud, I listen to Art of Dress remixes all the time when drawing and doing modding work. I would be ashamed, but I have listened to much more embarrassing and weird music.

edit2: well, at least this forum allows to manually delete posts. I'll be abusing this power to avoid multiposting, if you don't mind. It'd really be useful if edits to the last post marked the thread as unread.

edit3: I wanted to try and alter the Mercy's mane style (tentacle hair doesn't work with "adorable" in most cases), but ended up going in a different direction entirely and colored the whole thing. I can't decide whether the yellow-white flare in the background to the Ranger figure is appropriate or gaudy, but I'm pretty certain that with all the color around it, the mech looks positively flat. Needs more subtle shading work. Or, as I like to call it, shady work.

*snip*
    Shady work? I'm going to steal that one.
    This looks awesome! It's funny, I'm actually somewhat divided on Fluttershy. Cute, adorable or moeness things generally don't effect me. Now, I get it, and appreciate it and enjoy it (I wouldn't be watching shows like this if I didn't), but not on a gut type level. It's like blood, gore and violence, I get it and enjoy a good violent action flick or zombies, but it doesn't make me queasy if that makes sense. But Fluttershy? HNNNNG!

Now your mech is the first giant mech to make me HNNNG!, congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post

Your stuff is looking good Sean! Looking forward to seeing the Rarity robot finished.

So.... remember that action scene challenge Droid gave us? Weeeeeell, yesterday I took a shot at something. It was big and ambitious for someone of my current skill level, but that's how I roll.
    Spoiler
    Show
    *snip*

I know it's hard to tell, but that's Scootaloo evading a dragon's smoke breath on her scooter. Those lines going from the centre were supposed to help with the perspective. Notice how I barely used them XD

And today, I was a little bored so I opened up MS paint and took out the crayon tool. Why? Why not!? :D
    *snip*[/SPOILER]

On the first image, I know you said you ignored the perspective lines, but if you apply the perspective to the Scoot's speed lines and to the dragon's fire, I really think your image will really pop! Even the simplest perspective does wonders, as it will also draw attention to the size difference between Scoot and the dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowySilence View Post
    Yikes, I haven't been around here in ages. I hope to be on a bit more now that the holidays are over though.

This is the first piece of digital art I have done in a while, the horn really bothers me but I can't seem to find a way to improve the look (everything I tried made it worse ).

*snip*
    Parts of his face are hidden so I'm not sure what angle the head is in exactly, but you're going to have to apply a bit of perspective to the horn to get to look right. I can't find a screen of a unicorn in that pose... Perspective on things like horns, swords, spears and so on can be very tricky. (No, go away innuendo, I don't want to be bothered right now...)
    Did you try pointing the horn up, if he is looking directly at you? Or if he isn't and looking downward a bit, the horn's position should be still upwards slightly.
    Last edited by Bakuel; 2012-01-02 at 09:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #429

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    Parts of his face are hidden so I'm not sure what angle the head is in exactly, but you're going to have to apply a bit of perspective to the horn to get to look right. I can't find a screen of a unicorn in that pose... Perspective on things like horns, swords, spears and so on can be very tricky. (No, go away innuendo, I don't want to be bothered right now...)
    Did you try pointing the horn up, if he is looking directly at you? Or if he isn't and looking downward a bit, the horn's position should be still upwards slightly.
    He is looking downward a bit, I could try moving it again I suppose. Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I swear, I started humming "Art of the Dress" while drawing this.

Stroke by stroke, sketching it together...
    That song works well I've found, as something to have on in the background when it's time to get down to business!

Also, I like the idea of the tail as a weapon, and in Rarity's case it seems oddly appropriate - I can see her giving a derisive tail flick from time to time...

Anyway, I think Bakuel made some good suggestions, and all I'll add is a couple of thoughts/clarifications. First one is that the diamond shapes around her eyes give the impression of glasses, was that intentional? I ask mainly because I remember her pair having a slightly different shape and I guess I just find it a little confusing. Second, her flank seems to be just a little bit tall compared to the forelegs.

Spoiler
    Show

edit4: Shady work:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yay! A colored Mercy - I am a happy droid today!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

You should flesh out and clean up the Scootaloo pose; I think it has a lot of potential, especially with a little bit of background thrown in for visual interest.

Also, I'll do my best to remind you to draw; hopefully the semi-regular prompts on here will be helpful in that regard...

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowySilence View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Just my pony-sona reading some Poe.

I believe Bakuel has the right of it; the problem is in the way the horn is facing. Even if his head is tilted down, the point on the horn should still be aimed upward, although the tilt will make it foreshortened. Try drawing some cones from different perspectives to help get a feel for how they change, if necessary.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

11. - Top - End - #431

I looked up that system, it sounds very simple and interesting. I'll have to find a forum and see how a game develops. It's odd, I don't play role playing games, but I like seeing how they work out, the game systems, rules, how much is predetermined by the GM, how much isn't .etc.
    I don't really like plugging my own works (especially those that have essentially died due to neglect on my part), but if you want a good example of an RTD, see here. That's my first Multiworld Madness game. Fair warning - it's six thousand posts long. Didn't quite make it for an "over nine thousand" joke...

Also, until now, I never thought about it, but Rainbow Dash would probably make a rather flawed pilot or car driver. Not so much on the reflexes or anything that, she would be awesome, but in the fact that she tries to push herself beyond her limits. Through insane stunts, speed or what have you. However, if you push a machine beyond it's limits, it doesn't crash, but become stronger. It just breaks. And I don't think Rainbow Dash has the say, more engineering, or scientific thinking to build a better jet/car/ or mech.
    Of course, these mechs are powered by Magic and Friendship so the above reasoning need not apply.
    No, it does indeed apply. This was the reasoning behind giving RD the most high-performance machine of the six (Pinkie's being a close second for entirely unrelated reasons). It's a little bit like the Tallgeese, if you've seen Gundam Wing. Its upper stress limit exceeds that of the pilot - it'll more often crash due to the pilot losing control than mechanical failure. For a machine with a superweapon based off going so fast that the system that allows it to go so fast in the first place starts to overload, it was pretty much a requirement.

Must not make reference to overused meme about the pose and point of view of this picture and certain anatomical features shown in it...
    I must say, I'm surprised you didn't give the mech she's slapping sunglasses...
    Oh I like the idea of Rarity being a medic, transposing her skill with clothing materials onto skill with mechs. I would never have thought of that!
    Heh. The first caption that I thought up from looking at it was "Bite my spectacular silver ass!"... that reminds me, I haven't seen an episode of Futurama ever since they went on that hiatus... what's happened to it?

As for glasses, I was trying to remember what a Shadowbolt looks like, without reference. As far as I could remember, they more or less had full face masks rather than separable glasses, so I went with that. Also, if it did have glasses, they would not survive this hit.

Annoying tad bit, the mech she's slapping's head is level with the floor, it would look more forceful if it was tilted upwards, possibly just a tad maybe more. As it is now, the actionlines of the tail are going from the bottom up in a uppercutting motion, and it looks like his head is slightly going from left to right in a forceful manner. Which is good as the tail is going left, then back right, but the upwards force of the tail uppercut is lost. Or something. I hope this makes sense.
    Yeah, it does. Need more of an upward tilt to the head. Stuff like this would be so much easier to correct with vectors...

Shady work? I'm going to steal that one.
    This looks awesome! It's funny, I'm actually somewhat divided on Fluttershy. Cute, adorable or moeness things generally don't effect me. Now, I get it, and appreciate it and enjoy it (I wouldn't be watching shows like this if I didn't), but not on a gut type level. It's like blood, gore and violence, I get it and enjoy a good violent action flick or zombies, but it doesn't make me queasy if that makes sense. But Fluttershy? HNNNNG!

Now your mech is the first giant mech to make me HNNNG!, congratulations!
    Glad you like it. Unfortunately, single machines seem to suffer from critical unimpressiveness which prevents them from appearing in the drawfriend. That, or my emails keep getting lost. With EqD not replying to rejected entries, it's kinda hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    That song works well I've found, as something to have on in the background when it's time to get down to business!

Also, I like the idea of the tail as a weapon, and in Rarity's case it seems oddly appropriate - I can see her giving a derisive tail flick from time to time...

Anyway, I think Bakuel made some good suggestions, and all I'll add is a couple of thoughts/clarifications. First one is that the diamond shapes around her eyes give the impression of glasses, was that intentional? I ask mainly because I remember her pair having a slightly different shape and I guess I just find it a little confusing. Second, her flank seems to be just a little bit tall compared to the forelegs.
    The diamond shapes around the eyes are glasses. I'm giving each machine a thematic faceplate. If you look closely at RD's Tenacity and Fluttershy's Mercy, and then back at Benevolence, I believe you'll start seeing a pattern. The "eyes" are just a projection on the faceplate, following the pilot's expression.

And for the legs seeming too high, there are two considerations. One, during transformation the hind legs form the base of the shoulder, so they need some length. Second, I hoped I gave enough of a visual semblance to high heels with their design to alleviate the effects of the first consideration. Okay, misread that. Well, no idea, personally. I just wanted to make the design make sense from a technical standpoint while retaining a feel of "grace", as far as I can place it. Maybe it's just a slightly skewed perspective? I honestly don't see the flank/leg proportion being wrong here...

And with that, the first day of work in the new year begins. Let's see if I can draw something decent (or at least interesting) today.

edit: Now, this isn't very decent (in the "well-done" sense), but might be interesting. Inspired by Trixie winning a revival vote over at the MLP Heal/Hurt game in the messageboard games section down below.

Spoiler
    Show

"Anything" we can do, you say?
    (note: mech probably not to scale, depending on how you see the perspective)

edit2: Detailing of the Benevolence Vs Shadowmech image continues:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

edit3: I absolutely love doing tiny random details on damaged complex machines for some reason. I've been doing it since I remember myself drawing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

Last night, I typed up a post, posted it, saw it existed on the forum, then went to bed. Now after I return, my post has vanished and I cannot find it! I weep for it. Was it's existence only an elaborate dream?
    Oh man, I've had a similar dream. I've been trying to keep a dream diary. After I had one dream, I got up, wrote down everything that I remembered, and then went back to sleep. When I woke up, nothing written down. I'd dreamed writing about a dream. How meta is that?

But I digress.

On the first image, I know you said you ignored the perspective lines, but if you apply the perspective to the Scoot's speed lines and to the dragon's fire, I really think your image will really pop! Even the simplest perspective does wonders, as it will also draw attention to the size difference between Scoot and the dragon.
    Thanks! Yeah, I tried working with the lines on the Scooter, but I've never done this kind of angle before. Foreshortening is very hard. For some reason I didn't think to try that with the skids or on the breath. I'll give it another try soon.

You should flesh out and clean up the Scootaloo pose; I think it has a lot of potential, especially with a little bit of background thrown in for visual interest.

Also, I'll do my best to remind you to draw; hopefully the semi-regular prompts on here will be helpful in that regard...
    Yeah, I need to work on Scootaloo' legs, I think. The positioning seems off. Also I just noticed the lack of wings. Oops! And I was planning to add a simple background in later. Reminders would be helpful, though I've actually put an alarm on my phone to remind me to draw when I get home from work.

Well, here's my art for the day. A dragon for a game I'll be playing on the boards later.

Spoiler
    Show

I haven't really done too many dragons before, so there are problems with it. I can't exactly pin-point what though. Probably that the head is maybe a little too round, or that the horn/spines don't seem to match the rest. Is it just my design, or is there something obvious I've overlooked?
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

13. - Top - End - #433
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, here's my art for the day. A dragon for a game I'll be playing on the boards later.

Spoiler
    Show

I haven't really done too many dragons before, so there are problems with it. I can't exactly pin-point what though. Probably that the head is maybe a little too round, or that the horn/spines don't seem to match the rest. Is it just my design, or is there something obvious I've overlooked?
    Hmm, I think its the snout. As it is, it looks like it should dominate the entire face, but things like the eyes are seemingly slightly off to the side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Hmm, I think its the snout. As it is, it looks like it should dominate the entire face, but things like the eyes are seemingly slightly off to the side.
    Ah, yes, I see it now. Thinking about it, dragons typically have eyes on the sides of their heads, no? Here I've done the eyes like I would do a human or pony, so the shape of the face and snout looks off. Looking at it, if I erased the far eye, it would probably look better.

Thanks for the help.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

15. - Top - End - #435
    Troll in the Playground

Today's drawing is simply entitled "...How?"

Spoiler
    Show

Poor Twilight. She's read a dozen books on the subject and she still can't work out how Pinkie does that without magic.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

Edit: Also I totally failed at that perspective challenge.

New thing! I actually feel really good about it. Founded? Unfounded? Who knows! But here it is, my attempt at ponification of the same character found in my avatar, Vriska from Homestuck. Beware, image is like 600x600something.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-01-04 at 07:45 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

17. - Top - End - #437

Been Seeing Sean's work, and I must say I am duly impressed. Especially the Power Ranger Aspect- I never watched it, doesn't mean I don't think it's awesome. =)

I think the Mercy mech's hair looks fine- besides, tentacles means they can be used as weapons! =P

the only thing I have to report-
    (somewhat large image)
    Spoiler
    Show

I recently bought a sketchbook and some new pencils. first thing on the list? An action pose of my story OC!
    (After I study my Airforce stuff, first 0-0**)

18. - Top - End - #438

Looking back at the whole Ranger thing, I realize it's more than half Voltron or Transformers, with Rangers simply there as the only thing I can more or less relate to, having watched more of their series than any other. (Which is still only about one and a half seasons' worth over two series)

Unsurprisingly, retroactive analysis reveals I've probably felt inspired by the one series I've seen most - Power Rangers Mystic Force. In lieu of this, just about everything fits. The giant robots being similar to the characters because characters become the giant robots (Mystic Titans in the series), an extra giant robot that's Sun-themed and essentially steampunk (Solar Streak Megazord, giant steam train mecha)... although I can't say I remember Solar Streak merging with the others.

Anyway, enough background for now, on to progress on that last pic.

Spoiler
    Show

Now that my attention's been called to it, I do kinda see that the forelegs of the Benevolence are a little too short, even accounting for perspective. I did intend the machine to be a little "aft-heavy", but I'm not sure if it looks quite good enough. (It'd be nice if this was pointed out before coloring and shading, but oh well)

edit: Almost final steps:
    Spoiler
    Show

I would like to request some assistance with scene setup. And some feedback, generally. I've slapped together some kind of backdrop to get a feel for lighting conditions, but I'm not entirely sure what to use as a background. Tentatively, this is a battle at night, in the Everfree, with the five Rangers sans Magenta fighting Nightmare Moon's Mecha Mooks. (Yes, I've mostly got the whole thing planned out at this point) I'll go and experiment on my own, but I'd still like to ask for help here, at least because sometimes expressing my thoughts helps me think better.

No, I don't know if the above makes sense at all.

edit2: Swapping the pic out for a newer version, with an additional element.
    Do you think Rarity having a spear as her Ranger weapon is appropriate? I chose it simply for the name "Sapphire Spike", referencing Spike. The spear itself would be a mix of green and purple, like Spike himself.

The only other option is a scourge or spiked flail themed after Opalescence, and I can't come up with an appropriately punny name and appearance for it at the moment.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

19. - Top - End - #439

edit2: Swapping the pic out for a newer version, with an additional element.
    Do you think Rarity having a spear as her Ranger weapon is appropriate? I chose it simply for the name "Sapphire Spike", referencing Spike. The spear itself would be a mix of green and purple, like Spike himself.

The only other option is a scourge or spiked flail themed after Opalescence, and I can't come up with an appropriately punny name and appearance for it at the moment.
    I can't currently provide art advice, but I can suggest puns!

Cat Opal Nine Tails
    First Of Many
    Give Me Time

I imagine appearance being told by each strand of the scourge with a little bow like (I believe) Opal wears; alternately, the flail could be wearing an adorable jacket on the handle.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

Sean, I have to compliment you on your attention to detail and general skill in art, but I have a major gripe with your colouring.

You need to add so much contrast to it. As it stands, all of your pictures look very washed out since they have a limited tonal range. Your rarity is a lot better than fluttershy was, but she still looks far too bright in comparison to the background and where the light is falling. I can't describe it very well, but your images just seem...2d. They lack depth.

If I had any time in the next ever I'd grab one of your sketches and do a quick colour to show you what I mean, but I can't :-/

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

21. - Top - End - #441

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    Sean, I have to compliment you on your attention to detail and general skill in art, but I have a major gripe with your colouring.

You need to add so much contrast to it. As it stands, all of your pictures look very washed out since they have a limited tonal range. Your rarity is a lot better than fluttershy was, but she still looks far too bright in comparison to the background and where the light is falling. I can't describe it very well, but your images just seem...2d. They lack depth.

If I had any time in the next ever I'd grab one of your sketches and do a quick colour to show you what I mean, but I can't :-/
    If there's anything that doesn't at all surprise me, it's the fact that I generally suck at coloring. I've always been a sketchy kinda artist. I don't know what prevents me from experimenting with dark tones. Some kind of odd setting in my brain telling me that "Reality is Unrealistic" and such. I never took any lessons or courses in drawing, so I don't have any defined understanding of these things. I'm just going by what looks right to me - and as is apparent, what looks right to me doesn't quite match with what it should look like.

If you do find some time to color a design of mine, I'd be very thankful.

In the meantime, I keep plugging away at that Benevolence pic. Not calling it final because I'm still not sure I want Rarity to have the Sapphire Spike as a weapon (I'd really rather give it to Twilight), and because possible shading experiments/horrible forest torching.

Spoiler
    Show
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post

New thing! I actually feel really good about it. Founded? Unfounded? Who knows! But here it is, my attempt at ponification of the same character found in my avatar, Vriska from Homestuck. Beware, image is like 600x600something.

Spoiler
    Show

Looks good! I don't know anything about the character, but those eyes are weird XD

Drawing-wise I think the eyes could actually stand to be bigger, but other than that, it's good!

EDIT: @Sean, The Rari-mech is looking great!

My Thanqol-esque draw challenge, day 5. I used to be able to draw hands pretty well before I started drawing ponies. Today I decided to see if I still could.
    Spoiler
    Show

Hmm. I'm going to say... partial success. That bottom left one looks off, but the others are okay.

Honestly, I was too tired after work to do anything special. I have an idea for something to do tomorrow.
    Last edited by Beacon of Chaos; 2012-01-05 at 04:30 PM.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Pony Vriska looks so innocent...this is a dangerous thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    Been Seeing Sean's work, and I must say I am duly impressed. Especially the Power Ranger Aspect- I never watched it, doesn't mean I don't think it's awesome. =)

I think the Mercy mech's hair looks fine- besides, tentacles means they can be used as weapons! =P

the only thing I have to report-
    (somewhat large image)
    Spoiler
    Show

I recently bought a sketchbook and some new pencils. first thing on the list? An action pose of my story OC!
    (After I study my Airforce stuff, first 0-0**)
    I'm looking forward to see what you fill the sketchbook with! Keep us posted.

I would like to request some assistance with scene setup. And some feedback, generally. I've slapped together some kind of backdrop to get a feel for lighting conditions, but I'm not entirely sure what to use as a background. Tentatively, this is a battle at night, in the Everfree, with the five Rangers sans Magenta fighting Nightmare Moon's Mecha Mooks. (Yes, I've mostly got the whole thing planned out at this point) I'll go and experiment on my own, but I'd still like to ask for help here, at least because sometimes expressing my thoughts helps me think better.
    Hmm, an experiment I'd suggest is to try doing things opposite the way you're used to - start by building up a background and then set some characters to inhabit it. I don't know if it'll help with scene setup per se, but it might be good practice with things you're less familiar with.

Looks good! I don't know anything about the character, but those eyes are weird XD

Drawing-wise I think the eyes could actually stand to be bigger, but other than that, it's good!

EDIT: @Sean, The Rari-mech is looking great!

My Thanqol-esque draw challenge, day 5. I used to be able to draw hands pretty well before I started drawing ponies. Today I decided to see if I still could.
    Spoiler
    Show

Hmm. I'm going to say... partial success. That bottom left one looks off, but the others are okay.

Honestly, I was too tired after work to do anything special. I have an idea for something to do tomorrow.
    I'm glad to see you're sticking with the drawing challenge! Keep up the good work! Also, the hands look fairly solid, which is impressive - most people struggle with hands until they practice a lot.

My own drawing stuff for today:
    Spoiler
    Show

This is probably my most ambitious pony project so far. Not only am I playing with a bit of perspective, but I even have a background, and I intend to color this (well, not this picture exactly, but the cleaned version that's hopefully forthcoming). I'm probably just going to start like I said earlier, with relatively flat, show-based stuff before I move on to more complex shading.

This is also part of what I hope will become a finished secret project/gift of sorts, so I have motivation to finish, just not the time...

Additionally, the next drawing challenge will probably be up sometime this weekend, before I leave town for a conference. I may be scarce this next week, but I'll take my sketchbook with me.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-01-05 at 10:55 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

24. - Top - End - #444

Hmm, an experiment I'd suggest is to try doing things opposite the way you're used to - start by building up a background and then set some characters to inhabit it. I don't know if it'll help with scene setup per se, but it might be good practice with things you're less familiar with.
    Indeed, I gathered as much. I just like focusing on characters, and doing scenes first is so unnatural... besides, my current line of drawings is all about the character designs. I'll rather just skip all the scenebuilding for them. If I get to actual scenes at some point, I'll try doing it the correct way.

(So far I've noticed a curious reverse dependency between the amount of scenebuilding done for a given piece and the general popularity of said piece. I haven't got enough data for a proper analysis, since I'm not getting any negative feedback, and fairly little feedback in general, so understanding exactly what has to be fixed in any given case and improving is going to take some extra doing.)
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

I'm glad to see you're sticking with the drawing challenge! Keep up the good work! Also, the hands look fairly solid, which is impressive - most people struggle with hands until they practice a lot.
    Thanks. People have often told me that hands are difficult to do (and they are, though I've yet to even brave trying to draw feet) but I found an excellent guide on how to structure them a while back. If I can find it again I'll post it here. It won't guarantee that you'll become perfect at drawing them, but once you know how to draw proper guidelines for them, getting the proportions and angles right becomes much easier.

Essentially the wrist is an oval shape, while the hand itself is kind of a wedge (though it becomes more squarish once you add in the thumb). The knuckles on the fingers are spread out in an arc, which helps get the lengths right. The guides on the top left pic are probably the best example, though the pinky finger is a little too long.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446

I haven't got enough data for a proper analysis, since I'm not getting any negative feedback, and fairly little feedback in general, so understanding exactly what has to be fixed in any given case and improving is going to take some extra doing.
    I'm not much of an artist, so in my case, all I can do is encourage. 0-0 If I noticed an eyes sticking out somewhere it wasn't supposed to I could call it, but otherwise... there not much I can call out. X)

"Oh, your internal structure model for the character seems a tad off. Perhaps you could replace the second shape with a more smooth curve instead such a clunky triangle?"

...Ya, I don't know what I just said there.

I'm looking forward to see what you fill the sketchbook with! Keep us posted.
    Can do... =3
    My own drawing stuff for today:
    Spoiler
    Show

This is probably my most ambitious pony project so far. Not only am I playing with a bit of perspective, but I even have a background, and I intend to color this (well, not this picture exactly, but the cleaned version that's hopefully forthcoming). I'm probably just going to start like I said earlier, with relatively flat, show-based stuff before I move on to more complex shading.
    I like it so far. Twilight, Rarity on a couch... hmmm....
    the perspective all seems to be in line... I mean, its a rough sketch and all, buuut....

SKETCHBOOK! (lotsa room means lotsa good times)!
    Toward the start:

This is the drawing I worked on last night. Maybe for about an hour?
    Behold, Sojourner, the Philosopher Pony! (Again). (His Background is in progress, though I think I got it mostly done. If you wanna see...)
    Spoiler
    Show

this is toward the beginning of that process... trying to figure out how the muzzle would look was the hardest part for me. I still don't think it quite looks right in the final picture I'm going to post. Also, his back left leg is a little short in this picture. the eyes were fun to try and fit right as well... the perspective was not what I had in mind, but... eh, what can you do?

Spoiler
    Show

Toward the middle. I added an ear, and I fixed the pose a little, reworked the back legs a lot.

Spoiler
    Show

Middle... end? I didn't really like the way the mouth looked, so I worked on it a little more.

Spoiler
    Show

Final product so far. Final ear added in.
    So... just wondering what you all think.

close up shots:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #447
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    Final product so far. Final ear added in.
    So... just wondering what you all think.
    Looking nice! There are a couple of minor points I can say. One is that the eyes look a bit squinty. You might want to drop the lower eyelids a little, or maybe just make them not so curved. The legs are pretty well drawn, though your pony does look very tall. 4 heads tall instead of 3 makes him look a little gangly, but that might be your style. ^^ Altogether it looks good, and I think muzzle is fine.

Anyway, here's today's offering. Something for Raz. Misted Stage fanart.
    Spoiler
    Show

Posting it here to hopefully get some feedback on it before posting it in Ponythread proper. You guys think he'll like it?

The hat is a little off-centre and the eyes could possibly be lower (her head is supposed to be dipped), but I think it's okay. Evil Fluttershy is kinda fun to draw.

Also, scanned version of my Twilight and Pinkie pic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground

Sure is quiet in here.

First time drawing foals:
    Spoiler
    Show

"'at are 'ou 'oing 'ilver 'oon!?"

"You need to, like, lighten up, Diamond Tiara!"

My thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449

Sure is quiet in here.

First time drawing foals:
    Spoiler
    Show

"'at are 'ou 'oing 'ilver 'oon!?"

"You need to, like, lighten up, Diamond Tiara!"

My thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, that looks a lot better than it could have been, I guess. Silver Spoon seems to possess shapeshifting powers though, what with her forelegs and hind legs being of such radically different thickness and length. :)

As for the quiet... well, two drawpeople that I know of are/were away on some business (BroNYcon, most likely), and I am mostly trying to analyze my latest failure (the Harmonic Benevolence one) based off what little I can understand of the matter.
    In the meantime though, I keep sketching things. Trying to find a good solution for the design and pose of Pinkie's Anxiety, specifically. The Pony Rangers idea seems to be wearing itself out at this point, but that's no reason not to try and finish the character designs at least. My choice of universes to draw content from is currently limited to this Rangers one, or the one based off the horrible fic I've mentioned earlier, and I don't want to return to it quite yet.

Spoiler
    Show

---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

30. - Top - End - #450

Spoiler
    Show
    The pose in this one is certainly off. The back right leg is splayed out but the rest of the body is solidly upright. It's like that movement is part of a step to rotate ninety degrees but the rest of the body isn't following it right? Urgh, I can't look at art right on this computer. Final one's a lot more balanced though.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-08 at 06:54 AM.