Broke.

My.

SPECS!

Tee hee.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Kilkil: Replacement Kobold

Okay, wow.

Since he first showed up, I got the impression that he is secretly a badass. I wouldn't have thought assassin, but that fits perfectly.

That said, I sincerely wish he is a barbarian. That would be just...perfect. Thog has been removed from the picture, the other kobold just died (who was a rogue, or rogue/ranger - I guess kinda making him a foil for Belkar) and Tarquin is pretending to be a barbarian, so if Kilkil goes up against Belkar or Roy, and they find out that "Thog" is actually Tarquin, but Kilkil is a barbarian (making him a foil for Belkar)...just perfect.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    "People have been wrong before" is the argument you made.
    If you say so.
    If Kilkil actually does have character levels to make him dangerous, no such problem.
    If Tarquin simply doesn't value the life of a mere secretary and was happy to throw in whichever expendable underling Nale wanted for the sixth Linear Guild slot, no such problem either. (And seriously--"Undermine the seriousness of the situation"?) A problem which is based on fan-characterization of Tarquin is not a problem.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    If you say so.
    It's got nothing to do with what I say. It's what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post

If Tarquin simply doesn't value the life of a mere secretary and was happy to throw in whichever expendable underling Nale wanted for the sixth Linear Guild slot, no such problem either. (And seriously--"Undermine the seriousness of the situation"?) A problem which is based on fan-characterization of Tarquin is not a problem.
    You're using "fan-characterisation" as support now? OK, so you're voting for the "Yes, Tarquin IS that much of a jerk" option. Duly noted. Why the patronizing tone though?

5. - Top - End - #95

It's got nothing to do with what I say. It's what you did.
    If you say so.
    You're using "fan-characterisation" as support now?
    I am saying that "pointlessly endangering a competent underling...undermines Tarquin's character" hinges on fan-characterization. There is not the slightest indication in the comic that Tarquin particularly values the life of anyone who happens to be a competent underling, so it does not undermine his established in the comic character.
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-04-15 at 08:40 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96

I would say that based on his portrayal in the comic Tarquin doesn't seem to be the sort to do things "pointlessly". But if you say so.

7. - Top - End - #97

I would say that based on his portrayal in the comic Tarquin doesn't seem to be the sort to do things "pointlessly". But if you say so.
    I wonder what qualifies as "pointless" enough for you to consider Tarquin wouldn't do it.

Obviously not forcing women to marry him. Not making arrangements for two mercenaries (...who probably actually qualify as competent former-underlings of his...) who he had a grudge against to have to fight each other. Not sending them a taunting message. Not having runaway slaves burned alive to spell out the word ELAN.
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-04-15 at 08:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

But, Kish... here's the thing...

Kilkil isn't just some random PA Tarquin can lose without worry. He's the Chancellor of the Empire of Blood (that happens to also run on red tape). He's not that readily expendable, unless Tarquin wants bureaucratic headaches for six months after getting back (which he presumes he's going to).

How can he just be cannon-fodder simply for the amusement factor?

Unless you're suggesting Tarquin is sick of the Empire of Blood, and is now moving into the scrapping phase? And we have zero indication of that...
    '~:. F5 Camper With Muscle-Memory Issues .:~'

9. - Top - End - #99

I'm afraid I don't see the indication that "Tarquin's secretary" is an important enough job for him to be that hard to replace.

Also, Tarquin's attitude toward "dramatic appropriateness" is like Elan's. You say "simply for the amusement factor" as though you were talking about Redcloak; if Nale explained the kobold running gag to Tarquin, then it becomes "for the sake of Tarquin's primary interest." (If he didn't, then it's a question of what he'd do because one of his sons asked him to, and I suspect Kilkil's life still comes out second-best by a very long way in that contest.)

If Kilkil does a paperwork-related job in the Empire of Blood that makes him hard to replace and Tarquin values him enough not to let him die for that, I wonder why Tarquin would have brought him along at all; it's not like the Empire will stop generating paperwork while the general and the head priest are off playing adventurer.
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-04-15 at 12:04 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100

We don't know what he had to gain concerning the women. Money? Political power and connections? Evil? Yes. Pointless? We don't know.

The mercenaries had jerked him around in front of his son and had already demonstrated they weren't loyal subordinates by doing so. Also, that they weren't above trying to threaten him (with a poor bluff attempt) and messed with his precious pop culture references.

The slaves? This is how you discourage people from trying to escape. Evil? Brutal? Yes. Pointless no.

Certainly, not to be compared with dragging a noncombatant Chancellor of the Empire into a major fight for no purpose other than to service somebody else's running gag.

We skipped through this sort of thing on page 3, but it was nice to go through it again for you.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Kobold with wings? He's clearly read Races of the Dragon and he's some sort of gamebreaking cheese build !

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

eek Re: Kilkil: Replacement Kobold

Oh god, what if Kilkil isn't his real name. What if it's.... Punpun?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Stormlock View Post
    Oh god, what if Kilkil isn't his real name. What if it's.... Punpun?
    Heard that theory before.

Even if he is Punpun hiding behind a desk with lovely gold-rimmed specs... well... I hope not, to be honest. It'd feel like a cop-out to me. Yeah, be a surprise badass, but divine? Please, no... just... no...!
    '~:. F5 Camper With Muscle-Memory Issues .:~'

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

I think Tarquin could appreciate the value of keeping a halfling ranger/barbarian entertained with a flying kobald to be more then worth while. he essentially takes out one of the OotS most uncontrollable and violent members out at the cost of a near-useless combatant... until that near useless combatant is killed.

But seeing as how Belkar seems to love killing kobalds personally with his own hands, as soon as Kilkil realizes he's being hunted down by Belkar, it'll just be a wild goose chase keeping Belkar out of the fray until Haley downs him, Belkar gets pissed, finishes of x/y/ or z and says something along the lines of 'How do you like having your kills taken from You!'.

seeing the low lethality rate for named characters though... I dunno. it's a little anti-climatic for any character to die at this particular moment. I would need to see 850 at least for this premise to be expounded upon.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Not that I know anything about the class, but Lore-master comes to mind? OF course... The wings are unexplained...
    Last edited by Ozfer; 2012-04-16 at 06:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toy Killer View Post
    I think Tarquin could appreciate the value of keeping a halfling ranger/barbarian entertained with a flying kobald to be more then worth while. he essentially takes out one of the OotS most uncontrollable and violent members out at the cost of a near-useless combatant... until that near useless combatant is killed.
    Wouldn't it be better if, instead of distracting Belkar, he took along someone who could kill him? The kobold running gag doesn't really make sense from his perspective. Why recruit someone for your evil team specifically intended to lose to his counterpart from the enemy team? Tarquin is a fan of the dramatic but he seems too pragmatic.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    So, now that the Linear Guild has disposed of its #3 kobold, they're down to #4, Kilkil. So far, he has shown no skills other than administrative skills. What class could he be and what possible benefit can he bring to the LG? He's not carrying a weapon, otherwise it would be on his back like all other OOTS characters. Concealed daggers?

In the LG, we've got cleric, fighter, bard, wizard, and outsider. My guess is...thief? Or he's some obscure prestige class? Magic device-user? I suppose it'll be a big reveal after being cornered by Belkar, Kilkil suddenly displays awesome powers. Maybe he's there to count the spears and arrows used, to better update the accounting books of the Empire.
    My bet is on artifacter. I don't know why, it just seems like a nice choice.

And did anybody ese noticed how he fits into Belkar's relationship with LG's Kobolds? Odd number ones, Yikyik and Yukyuk are just evil and very similiar to Belkar (Giant even said that Yikyik is just Belkar if he was a kobold and Yukyuk acts Belkar before character developmend kicked in and with riding wolf Belkar once wanted), while Yekyek was good and Kilkil is clearly Lawful.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, I never noticed that. I forgot that Yokyok was actually lawful good! (Hmm, I wonder what would have happened if the Order had noticed that first. Belkar is cool and all, but a competent, loyal, and good-aligned version of him would be more useful from the Order's perspective.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Yokyok was probably a swashbuckler, and they are not OGL so Burlew couldn't have him stick around.

If only the OGL were expanded! How long must we wait in darkness!

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

One possible reason why Kilkil might be more than what he seems is that Tarqin seems to be planning to turn against Nale, and he has to deal with Nale, Sabine and Z. Sure, both he and Malack are powerful, but a bit of extra muscle wouldn't hurt.
    I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Yokyok was probably a swashbuckler, and they are not OGL so Burlew couldn't have him stick around.

If only the OGL were expanded! How long must we wait in darkness!
    Oh, I didn't think that Belkar would be replaced by Yokyok. I just think that Roy might have wanted to do that if he had met Yokyok before Belkar did.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Belkar is a Ranger, but sucks at Ranger-y things; can't cast spells, can't track, etc.

So possibly Kilkil sucks at his own class.

Kilkil is literate, organised and level-headed.

I'm going Barbarian.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Total Biscuit View Post
    Belkar is a Ranger, but sucks at Ranger-y things; can't cast spells, can't track, etc.

So possibly Kilkil sucks at his own class.

Kilkil is literate, organised and level-headed.

I'm going Barbarian.
    .........can't. stop. laughing....... *gasp*
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

24. - Top - End - #114
    Bugbear in the Playground

Do you think Kilkil is going to die? I think he may live and possibly be the death of Belkar and use his skull as a paperweight or something, instead of the reverse.

Because:

He showed up before he joined the guild

His name is't "Y*ky*k"

He has wings

The gag has been done 3 times and it is too old.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just wonder how he became Chanceller of the Empire of Blood. After all, it used to be Marion Shewdanker when it was Tyriniaria.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalrany View Post
    I just wonder how he became Chanceller of the Empire of Blood. After all, it used to be Marion Shewdanker when it was Tyriniaria.
    That's true, but I gather that Tarquin shuffles his crew around to different kingdoms. Tarquin probably brought KilKil in to replace Miron after Miron was moved to another empire, since after his regime became firmly esconced he doesn't need yet another high-level adventurer permanently assigned to keep an eye on things.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, presuming Miron is one of his 'gang'... which one seems likely?

(Although 'Shewdanker' as a PC name? )

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    So, presuming Miron is one of his 'gang'... which one seems likely?

(Although 'Shewdanker' as a PC name? )
    He's the monk/sorcerer-looking guy, as confirmed here.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

It's this guy, which someone amazingly guessed in the #758 thread IIRC.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2012-05-15 at 11:17 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah... I had missed that one.
    But to me that implies that KilKil is one of the gang. I don't see from the text that anyone was moved up -- just laterally switched "to keep things fresh".
    It reads like KilKil was one of the partners to swap. But then again, maybe he is referring to his old friend the priest... It kind of depends on the number of people involved in the sawp. However, I got the impression that Malack has been at the location for a while, but that is just an assumption. It seems like the Dragon/Emperass was once a part of the gang, but must not have been high enough to avoid being set up... Yet on the 3rd hand it could be because of her rather silly assumption on how to gain personal power...
    There are a number of ways to inpterpret who is and who isn't important/key adventurers. The data is vague.