New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Welknair Update/Game Idea] Fourth Land

You could kick start it? Eventually, if you want to go into production, you totally should. Have you looked into making a site?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

I've made simple websites before, as well as set up my own forums. I was planning to for my game at some point.

And a Kickstarter.. That's a really good idea. I don't know what I'd be allowed to say about it here, though. Besides *Winkwink*Fourthland Kickstarter*Winkwink*. I'd probably want to talk to mods about it. I've already done a bit of discussion with them about donation, but I'm not sure what the verdict on this would be.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

A month or more?! GAH! If I pledge to the kickstarter can we start sooner?
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    A month or more?! GAH! If I pledge to the kickstarter can we start sooner?
    I don't think thats how we should do this...

Considering the amount of Kickstart attention that OoTS was given on the forums, there should be no problems with a Fourthland one.

And I checked, the URL seems to be unclaimed.... (www.fourthland.com)

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

I did a lot of looking into Kickstarter, but I'm a little concerned that it is affected by taxes and requires you to list the contact information of a "Business" on your Amazon account. Little bit afraid of IRS troubles that could result. I'm sure it's alright, and I'll likely still set one up, but I want to do a bit more research first.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

RANDOM UPDATES:

1. We did not play Fourthland this weekend. We started Grimtooth's Dungeon of Doom, though. I think the total death count was in the 30s.

2. I am doing more research into the business requirement of Kickstarters. I have submitted a help request on the topic.

3. My copyright-friend has talked me out of Preregistering, given that it doesn't actually do much and it has such a large cost. The new plan is to publish and copyright the first draft in increments, going through the process for each separately. In the long run, this will likely be cheaper.

4. I plan to claim that domain very soon. I've dabbled in web design and know some people that do it for a living. I'll likely set up my own forums there, though they won't be terribly active for a while still.

5. Sending a PM to Roland about whether or not I can post a link to a Kickstarter here.

Here it is, word for word:
    Quote Originally Posted by Welknair
    I apologize for having to trouble you again, but I have another question about the status of donations/links to where things could be purchased. We have discussed this previously, and I don't mean to be redundant, so I'll keep it short.

For my WIP-game Fourthland, could I include a simple Kickstarter link at the bottom of the OP? It'd be a single word "Kickstarter", with the hyperlink. No advertisements, coercions or anything of that sort. If this is not acceptable, is there any way for me to notify followers of my thread as to the existence of a Kickstarter for the game? Would it be alright to PM interested individuals the link? PM them that there IS a kickstarter, but not supply the link? What, if anything, is acceptable?

Secondly, upon the hypothetical completion of said game, what would I be allowed to say regarding its ability to be purchased? Pretty much the same list of questions as above, starting with a single-word link to where it could be bought, without any form of coercement or advertisement to do so, ending with PMs without links sent to interested individuals.

Thank you for your time.
    6. More work on game-phsyics, primarily how weight, breaking, and supports work.

7. Consideration about one of my original design goals that I forgot to mention, and one that is VERY RELEVANT given the section of this thread: "Homebrew-ability". The property of a game that allows homebrew to be created for it. I want my game to very much encourage homebrew, and I've seen many games that do and don't do so. For example, D&D 3.5e is obviously quite homebrew-able. 4e, not so much (Though Surrealistik does make some decent stuff). This is because it is more difficult to create classes, which were always the most popular topic of homebrew. Exalted is another example of something that's difficult to homebrew for. What're you going to make? You can make side-charms, or martial arts styles, but that's about it.

In my game, you'll be able to (And encouraged to, if you have the capacity) homebrew the falling, among others: Shapes (Class-things. I expect tons of these.), Alchemies and Masteries (*Sinister Laughter*), Creatures (Why of course!), Materials, and finally Energies (That's right. You can add your own.),

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Add my own?

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2012-05-13 at 05:45 PM.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Add my own?

Spoiler
    Show
    Why of course you can! Even if I didn't decide to specifically encourage it, I'm pretty sure people like you guys would add them anyways. I'm going to include a couple example "Extra Energies" and suggest that advanced groups choose four Extras from those that I include and those that others make to mix things up, so each game world is a bit different.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Why of course you can! Even if I didn't decide to specifically encourage it, I'm pretty sure people like you guys would add them anyways. I'm going to include a couple example "Extra Energies" and suggest that advanced groups choose four Extras from those that I include and those that others make to mix things up, so each game world is a bit different.
    That's cool! It'd make each game of Fourthland just that much more different.

Question is, what about the consequences of new energies? Because you're going to be working out how the 12 you have effect the world, but not necessarily the ones they come up with.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

That's cool! It'd make each game of Fourthland just that much more different.

Question is, what about the consequences of new energies? Because you're going to be working out how the 12 you have effect the world, but not necessarily the ones they come up with.
    That IS an interesting point, and as you say, one that I cannot fully predict the outcome of. It'll be up to the Muse to decide what energies to include and to think about how they'll interact with each other and the main 12. I think some interesting things should result.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground

(That's right. You can add your own.),
    Add my own?

Spoiler
    Show
    I am imagining entire galaxies burning right now. Welknair, I hope you realize what you've done.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    I am imagining entire galaxies burning right now. Welknair, I hope you realize what you've done.
    I don't think he could.

Especially not after I messed with his 13th orientations, Intent.

WHICH IS SO MINE. I claim Intent (think emotion/purpose/consciousness?) as my personal Energy.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Well hell, what about the Lanterns? Will and anger as energies?

14. - Top - End - #194

I don't think he could.

Especially not after I messed with his 13th orientations, Intent.

WHICH IS SO MINE. I claim Intent (think emotion/purpose/consciousness?) as my personal Energy.
    Dibs on Good/Heroism/Protaganistic energy. The power of how important something is, plot-wise. Or Hat energy, that would be cool...
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

1. Keep in mind the number of the original 12 that you still don't know. Something like what you're thinking up maaay already exist.
    2. We won't be using Extras in our playtest
    3. I am taking the advice of my copyright friend about the incremental publishing. It won't be long before I'm ready to start writing the first increment, which should be sufficient for the first playtest with you guys.
    4. Given the incremental, I don't need the 115, but rather 35 for each increment. I have enough to fund the first increment.
    5. I got word back from the Kickstarter customer-service and they say that I do NOT need a business liscense, which is what I thought. It should be alright for me to make a Kickstarter. But..
    6. I'm going to wait until I see the results of the first increment before I set up the Kickstarter.
    7. Still no word back from Roland.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196

...designs...and arts...and stuff...

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Guys, you are thinking in far too prosaic a way, my friends.

I call dibs on the 14th, Narrative Inertia.

And on the 15th, Flavor, because seriously, being able to make the sun taste like cherries is win.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Dibs on Good/Heroism/Protaganistic energy. The power of how important something is, plot-wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Guys, you are thinking in far too prosaic a way, my friends.

I call dibs on the 14th, Narrative Inertia.

And on the 15th, Flavor, because seriously, being able to make the sun taste like cherries is win.
    I.. I am in awe. I am continually amazed by the sheer awesome-ness of you guys. SPOILER: The 16th Energy is 'Stache of Authority. SUPERSPOILER: They're all secretly Tyler Durden.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    ...designs...and arts...and stuff...
    Well, I used to be very good friends with an extremely talented artist that I was hoping to draw the majority of the artwork but.. IRL things came up and that is looking less likely. Perhaps I should make a post in the Arts and Craft section? For the first release pictures aren't required, but at some point I would like them.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

I love that movie so much; therefor, Mayhem is the 19th energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

20. - Top - End - #200

Bah, 16th is best. Motivation.

21. - Top - End - #201

Well, I used to be very good friends with an extremely talented artist that I was hoping to draw the majority of the artwork but.. IRL things came up and that is looking less likely. Perhaps I should make a post in the Arts and Craft section? For the first release pictures aren't required, but at some point I would like them.
    ...artists, if smart, will want a contract ( verbal agreement, minimum ) that a percentage of the profit goes to them based on the small amount of their art which is attached to the manual...
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-05-14 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Punctuation

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

...artists, if smart, will want a contract ( verbal agreement, minimum ) that a percentage of the profit goes to them based on the small amount of their art which is attached to the manual...
    I was under the impression that that was the way that things usually went.. Hmm.. I need to do some research about what reasonable percentages are. Though I suppose those physics ought to come first.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203

I need to do some research about what reasonable percentages are. Though I suppose those physics ought to come first.
    From the perspective of a Publishing House, first-time authors usually have an eight percent portion of the profit for royalties. ...if they ever see it. Second-time authors can or should receive ten percent. Above that, anything to fifteen percent can be considered normal.

First-time artists...? I'll say two to five. Second-time, five to ten. ...and might not rise higher than that. Twelve at the most, maybe?

You as the publisher, can do what-ever you want. And if you are kind ( and prompt! can not stress this enough! ) with those residuals, the artists should be kind and consistent for you.

Some artists like the idea of a publisher buying the art rather than receiving residuals / royalties. However, residuals allow a non-famous artist to receive consistent payment, even if small.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-05-14 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Revision

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

From the perspective of a Publishing House, first-time authors usually have an eight percent portion of the profit for royalties. ...if they ever see it. Second-time authors can or should receive ten percent. Above that, anything to fifteen percent can be considered normal.

First-time artists...? I'll say two to five. Second-time, five to ten. ...and might not rise higher than that. Twelve at the most, maybe?

You as the publisher, can do what-ever you want. And if you are kind ( and prompt! can not stress this enough! ) with those residuals, the artists should be kind and consistent for you.

Some artists like the idea of a publisher buying the art rather than receiving residuals / royalties. However, residuals allow a non-famous artist to receive consistent payment, even if small.
    That makes sense. Originally I was intending to do self-publishing via the Amazon Createspace, though I'm not entirely sure now. IIRC, the Createspace gave 60% profit to the author. The downside is that without a proper publisher or editor, it is very unlikely the book will ever find its way to bookstore shelves. Then again, most of my readers are finding out about it online.. I'm not entirely sure what to make of that quite yet.

I also understand the residual v single-price dichotomy. And I would of course want to treat my artist(s) well if I make it that far. Talented artists are difficult to come by.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by jojolagger View Post
    Bah, 16th is best. Motivation.
    What about Laughter, Kindness, Generosity, Honesty, Loyalty, Magic...
    I have a great and terrible Idea...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206

...I should really stop...I really should...

Spoiler
    Show
    [...]Createspace gave 60% profit to the author.
    You are the author and publisher. You take all of the profit.

That profit is then divided into taxes, royalties, residuals, and funds for further publishing, at your personal discretion.

[...]most of my readers are finding out about it online..
    Welknair has access to the Giant In The Playground Forums fan-base, as well as any word-of-mouth which spreads from one forum to another. Now...I don't like the idea of stealing fans, of course. That probably won't happen, but with the Information Age and the Internet as they are, you don't have to sell books to stores!

Talented artists are difficult to come by.
    Yes... I have seen publishing executives rip out the metaphorical hearts of optimistic, eager, and talented artists. It was disgusting. Artists of talent should be recognized and their noble craft should be respected. They should also be paid appropriately.

On a personal note? I would never use Amazon. Unethical business practices go on there. ...not every level, but they are visible.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-05-14 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Remember: A Moderator has read your post.
    Probably.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time
    It's not about your avatar. It's never about an avatar.
    It's about a person...and the choice made by that person.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

What about Laughter, Kindness, Generosity, Honesty, Loyalty, Magic...
    I have a great and terrible Idea...
    Spoiler
    Show

...I should really stop...I really should...

Spoiler
    Show

You are the author and publisher. You take all of the profit.

That profit is then divided into taxes, royalties, residuals, and funds for further publishing, at your personal discretion.

Welknair has access to the Giant In The Playground Forums fan-base, as well as any word-of-mouth which spreads from one forum to another. Now...I don't like the idea of stealing fans, of course. That probably won't happen, but with the Information Age and the Internet as they are, you don't have to sell books to stores!

Yes... I have seen publishing executives rip out the metaphorical hearts of optimistic, eager, and talented artists. It was disgusting. Artists of talent should be recognized and their noble craft should be respected. They should also be paid appropriately.

On a personal note? I would never use Amazon. Unethical business practices go on there. ...not every level, but they are visible.
    If I have this straight (Which I likely don't) the Publisher is the person or group that manages the printing and distribution of the work. I don't exactly have a printing press at my disposal. If I wish to print this, I need a publisher. The Createspace allows for "Self Publishing" where Amazon effectively acts as the publisher, printing the books on demand. This raises another interesting question, though... Should I go through the effort to get it printed? Or would it be better to only sell it as a pdf or somesuch?

By now hopefully it is apparent that I am not a cold and ruthless executive at a corporation. I actually have a concience and would care about anyone working for/with me to create this game. Anyone aiding me (with art or otherwise) will get fair dues. As-is, I'm probably going to include acknowledgements to all you guys that are posting on this thread consistently. Of course artists or anyone else that contributes would be paid a reasonable amount.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208

If I thought that you were cold and ruthless, executive or other-wise, I would not help you.

There is only one kind of self publishing. That is when the author publishes the manual. I would...sincerely suggest searching for a publishing house located in or near your local area. It...it's so much easier and simpler to get an answer from a face or a voice than from a computer screen.

...and if they're trying to hide some-thing, it will be more easy to tell.

...by selling the books your-self, even if you are not able to do so the first time, no one will be able to hide costs, purchases, or expenses from you.

Presentation Document Format... Is a quick, if dangerous, way to make profit. As a publishing medium it is dangerous due to the easy replication of data known as copying. However, if you truly wish to burn Compact Disks with the file on it, along with any other material that you would like, this is an effective method of generating an income.

It is also possible to simply distribute the file, but I can not recommend this method for two reasons: First, the above data-replication note. Second, an enormously immense amount of users forget to back-up what they purchase. This would necessitate that you, or some-one, would have to keep records of all sales for decades...just to provide quality customer service.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-05-14 at 09:41 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

If I thought that you were cold and ruthless, executive or other-wise, I would not help you.

There is only one kind of self publishing. That is when the author publishes the manual. I would...sincerely suggest searching for a publishing house located in or near your local area. It...it's so much easier and simpler to get an answer from a face or a voice than from a computer screen.

...and if they're trying to hide some-thing, it will be more easy to tell.

...by selling the books your-self, even if you are not able to do so the first time, no one will be able to hide costs, purchases, or expenses from you.
    This makes sense. I'll look into finding local publishing houses. I- *Insert google-research here*

Well, I WAS under the impression that getting a proper publisher costed a deal of money. My google-fu didn't return that answer. Huh. If it does require a sum of money, as previously mentioned, I don't have much right now and am quite averse to taking loans. A quick search also returned a nice little list of local publishing houses. Taking a closer look now.

Swordsageedit:
    Presentation Document Format... Is a quick, if dangerous, way to make profit. As a publishing medium it is dangerous due to the easy replication of data known as copying. However, if you truly wish to burn Compact Disks with the file on it, along with any other material that you would like, this is an effective method of generating an income.

It is also possible to simply distribute the file, but I can not recommend this method for two reasons: First, the above data-replication note. Second, an enormously immense amount of users forget to back-up what they purchase. This would necessitate that you, or some-one, would have to keep records of all sales for decades...just to provide quality customer service.
    I was thinking something akin to GURPS's system of online purchases. If you haven't used it before, they have an automoated database of accounts with information about what books each account has bought, allow re-download as long as you're logged in. I happen to have a bit of experience in PHP/MySQL, and know some people that are much better than me that would be willing to help with such an endeavour. The risk of copying WOULD be a problem, though...
    Last edited by Welknair; 2012-05-14 at 09:48 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210

It is possible to copy-right data on a compact disk, provided that concessions are made for the file format ( P.D.F. in this case ). Doing this would allow Welknair to copy-right and distribute the content with minimal cost for a first run. Later, paper manuals could be produced for those who like the feel of tree in their hands.

...I know that I prefer paper...

...really. I'm only listing options. Publishing houses usually require contracts and the fine-print in those can some-times eat first-time authors whole.

Please be careful.

An Internet-based account system is a possible one. It is a good idea, in some senses. I...don't think that my conscience will allow me to encourage it, though, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-05-14 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Welknair's Previous Edit