New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: [Race] Ameena

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [Race] Ameena

Ameena (it is both singular and plural) are humanoids resembling large caterpillars. Upon reaching adulthood, they more closely resemble butterflies.

Personality: Ameenan society is diverse. Ameena don't have a particular home, per se, having chosen instead to spread out over all of Marranarch. That being said, there is a large percentage of the total Ameenan population in Penryn.

Physical Description: Prepubescent Ameena appear to be caterpillars the size of large dogs. They have six limbs attached to their tube-like body, four feet and two hands. Two vestigial antennae rise out of the tops of their heads. Their hands have prehensile thumbs and are usable like humans' hands. The rear four limbs, however, are short and have small feet. Ameena are striped, and their leathery skin usually is a variety of grays, browns, and greens.

Upon reaching adulthood, an Ameena will enter a cocoon and emerge some time later, fully matured. When matured, the Ameena has two large butterfly-like wings that tend to be in a variety of colors, ranging from light blues to dark reds. Ameena are also noticeably skinnier after their metamorphosis.

Alignment: Ameena tend towards good and neutrality, though Ameena of all kinds exist.

Ameena Lands: Ameena claim no territory as a race, though a large number do live in Penryn

Religion: Most Ameena worship nature deities.

Language: Ameena speak Common and Auran.

==Player Character Ameena==
    • Wisdom +2, Constitution -2
    • Small: As Small creatures, Ameena gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but they must use smaller weapons than humans use, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of Medium-size characters.
    • Monstrous Humanoid: As monstrous humanoids, Ameena are immune to spells and effects that specifically target humanoids.
    • Speed: Ameena base land speed is 20 feet.
    • Compound Eyes: Ameena have compound eyes, which give an Ameena a +2 racial bonus on Awareness checks. In addition, these compound eyes grant an Ameena darkvision out to 60'.
    • Inborn Psionics: An ameena has a small pool of psionic charges they may tap into daily. An ammena has one charge per three class levels, minimum one. A charge may be spent to activate one of the following psi-like abilities or to power a feat with the [Ameena] descriptor:entangling ectoplasm. The manifester level is equal to the ameena's class level.
      Ameena are natural web-spinners, their ancestors having done so before evolving to their current form. Though they now only have vestigial spinnerets, they are capable of creating a similar substance through sheer force of will.
    • Metamorphosis: Upon reaching their fifth Hit Die, Ameena must retire to a cocoon of their own making for no less than a week, during which they go through a metamorphosis and become full adults. Creating the cocoon takes three days and requires the use of the Ameena's psi-like ability each day. In this instance (and this instance only) does the ectoplasm created through its use last longer than 5 rounds. Upon emerging from the cocoon, they have large butterfly-like wings that grant them a fly speed of 20' at Average maneuverability. In addition, their Charisma increases 2 points. Ameena with heavier encumbrance than light cannot fly, and an Ameena cannot fly for more than four hours each day.
    • Automatic languages: Common, Auran
    • Bonus Languages: Sylvan, Halfling, Elven, Gnomish
    • Favored Class: Ranger. A multiclass Ameena's ranger class does not count when determining whether he suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2009-01-31 at 03:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Race] Ameena

I'm detecting large amounts of win in this sector. Their like the hybrid children of dromites and raptorans, only with more ****ing awesome.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks!

Any suggestions? I can't help but think there's something missing.

EDIT: Maybe a proboscis ability?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Bump for getting kicked off the page by moving threads.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Never mind bumping. Racial feats!

Active Antennae [Ameena]
    Requirements: Wis 15+, Ameena of 1 HD (only)

Benefit: Unlike most Ameena, your antennae are not vestigial and are in fact fully functional. You gain the Scent ability, usable out to 30'.

You gain an additional psionic charge per day.

Normal: Your antennae are vestigial and perform no function.

Naturally Psionic [Ameena]
    Requirements: Wis 13+, Ameena of 1 HD (only)

Benefit: You have a closer connection to psionic powers than most of your race. You gain a reserve of one power point and are considered naturally psionic, similar to the Wild Talent feat. In addition, your favored class becomes Psychic Warrior.

You gain one psionic charge per day.

Normal: You do not have a power point pool, and your favored class is Ranger.

Sharp Vision [Ameena]
    Requirements: Wis 13+, Ameena

Benefit: Your compound eyes are stronger than most other Ameena's eyes. You gain low-light vision.

Normal: You do not have low light vision.

Strong Wings [Ameena]
    Requirements: Str 15+, Ameena of 5th HD or greater

Benefit: You may use your flight up to a maximum of six hours per day, and may do so while carrying a medium load. However, while carrying a medium load, your flight speed reduces to 15', and your maneuverability drops to poor.

Normal: You may carry up to a light load while flying, and can fly for a maximum of four hours per day.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2009-01-31 at 04:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Really like the creature, though I think some of the feats are way too powerful.

Naturally Psionic
    Requirements: Wis 13+, Ameena of 1 HD (only)

Benefit: You have a closer connection to psionic powers than most of your race. You gain a reserve of three power points and are considered naturally psionic, similar to the Wild Talent feat. In addition, your favored class becomes Psychic Warrior.

Normal: You do not have a power point pool, and your favored class is Ranger.
    This is too powerful. This is the equivalent of Wild Talent and Psionic Talent combined plus it changes your favored class.

Sharp Vision
    Requirements: Wis 13+, Ameena

Benefit: Your compound eyes are stronger than most other Ameena's eyes. You gain an additional +2 to Spot checks (to a total of +4) and gain low-light vision.
    Low-light vision from a feat would be pushing the usefulness of the feat, but also adding nearly the equivalent of Skill Focus (spot) is a bit much.

Strong Wings
    Requirements: Str 15+, Ameena of 5th HD or greater

Benefit: You may use your flight up to a maximum of six hours per day, and may do so while carrying a medium load. However, while carrying a medium load, your flight speed reduces to 15', and your maneuverability drops to poor. In addition, you may also use control air as a psi-like ability once per day. This ability is a full-round action.
    Going from 4 hours to 6 hours, and can fly with a medium load is already pretty derned good, but to gain Control Air, a kineticist only power is also the equivalent of getting the Expanded Knowledge feat.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe split those feats into two feats, then?

EDIT: Modified feats in question. How do they look now?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis
    EDIT: Modified feats in question. How do they look now?
    *gives a thumbs up*

Looks good to me :)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I have to say, this is an interesting Idea for a race. It seems it will fit into your variant nicely though.

(Thank goodness thread necroing is less frowned upon here.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Changed racial feats and Inborn Psionics racial feature.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

It seems that a race with a penalty to Con would not do so well as a Ranger...
    Overall, though, these races you are making are AMAZING!
    Where did you get the idea for this one?
    Hey. Do you want to help make a game?

Due to real life issues, I have been gon without warning for a while. I seem to be back now until further notice.

Thanks to Szilard for the Avatar!

If I am ever wrong, feel free to correct me. Learning is awesomesauce.

I like to edit my posts. A lot. As you may see, most of my posts will be edited, so if one is not, and you care about what I said, you may want to check it again a minute later.

Yes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Awesome race, but I'm thinking it's a little overpowered after metamorphosis. Perhaps a typical Small-size penalty to Strength applies?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know, it doesn't have a laundry list of smaller bonuses the way a halfling or Dwarf does, nor does it have a crazy amount of fly speed. I would consider dropping the ability to make the ectoplasm after metamorphosis, because it kind of makes sense from an entomological perspective.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"