Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Trying to turn 2nd edition D&D game into a modern tmnt setting

The problem is i don't know how, so i'd like some help

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Trying to turn 2nd edition D&D game into a modern tmnt setting

I think that probably is not the best system for that, it wouldn't work very well. It would require so much modification you'd basically be writing your own game. There is already a TMNT RPG which came out in the 80's from Palladium, you can probably still buy it online if you looked. D20 modern/future would be pretty easy to use for TMNT.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    I think that probably is not the best system for that, it wouldn't work very well. It would require so much modification you'd basically be writing your own game. There is already a TMNT RPG which came out in the 80's from Palladium, you can probably still buy it online if you looked. D20 modern/future would be pretty easy to use for TMNT.
    well paladium feels so odd to me, and i don't loike D&D 3.5 which d20 modern is pretty much just like.plus D&D has supplemental guides which include the bo staff sai and katana, plus nunchucks wouldn't be too hard to homebrew,the only real problem is that i need modern gear along with different classes

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Hmmm... how much TMNT do you want?

I think it's doable, but you're going to run into some weird bits.

1) Decide how you're going to go about making different types of playable mutants. If everyone's going to be a Ninja Turtle, this becomes a bit easier, as you just make a Ninja Turtle race and let everyone play one, with other mutants being, essentially, monsters. If you want to expand the possibilities, then you're going to want a way to make reasonable characters. I'd actually suggest something like looking at Skills and Powers, and letting people choose a suite of abilities from there, related to their choice of animal.

2) Decide what the classes mean in a modern context. Are you going to have Priests and Wizards? What about Bards? You might also want to reshuffle the NWPs... reading shouldn't be so rare in a modern game, for example. You might use the DMGs build a class rules, letting people customize their training... I'd add categories for WP and NWP totals and advancement in there.

3) Firearms. Someone's going to have a gun. I'd be inclined towards giving them an "exploding" die and some degree of armor reduction... maybe a handgun is a d6, and ignores 2 points of armor, while a rifle is 2d6 and ignores 4.

I echo that this probably isn't the best system for it. But, if you're going to go with it, be willing to say "Yep, that was a mistake" and fix it.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

[QUOTE=Mark Hall;15982205]Hmmm... how much TMNT do you want?

Decide what the classes mean in a modern context. Are you going to have Priests and Wizards? What about Bards? You might also want to reshuffle the NWPs... reading shouldn't be so rare in a modern game, for example. You might use the DMGs build a class rules, letting people customize their training... I'd add categories for WP and NWP totals and advancement in there.

3) Firearms. Someone's going to have a gun. I'd be inclined towards giving them an "exploding" die and some degree of armor reduction... maybe a handgun is a d6, and ignores 2 points of armor, while a rifle is 2d6 and ignores 4.

well the only thing i got for classes,is that ninjas are thieves,and i've renamed fighter to vigilante and i'll give the example of casey jones as he first apears in the mirage comics

Casey Jones human fighter level 5 chaotic neutral

Str 18(96)
    con 18
    int 7
    dex 16
    wis 8
    cha 11
    hp 45

items: hockey stick (1d8 damage $20.00) 2 baseball bats (1d6 6 damage $15.00)golf club (2d3 damage $17.00),cricket bat (2d4 damage $25.00) peasant's outfit. hockey mask (adds AC to facial region $10)

fire arms are a little more complicated

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Okay i've decided,and mages are now replaced with mechanists who can work incredibly well with machines, and priests are excluded from the setting,

paladins are law enforcement and can now be of any lawful alignment, and rangers are now empaths (like splinter in the 2k12 series)

guns do 1d8 damage but have various ammo types,capacities, and certain guns fire more shots a round then others,essentially they're bows, they ignore standard armor entirely.but gun armor is ineffective against melee (unrealistic i know, but it's for balance reasons)

the core races are: human(no bonuses) turtle mutant (natural armor class of 6 -1 dexterity) , canine mutant (bonuses vary on species and are decided by DM) wort hog mutant (+1 str -1 cha) rhino mutant (+1 Con - 1 Dex) alligator mutant (+2 str and con -2 int and wis) feline mutant (see canine mutant) insect mutant( see canine mutant) and fish mutant (cannot breath naturally on land, may or may not have legs, +3 Dex and str in water,-1cha)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Perhaps outside of the box, but my instinct says you should take a look at Shadowrun. Most of my experience with TMNT is from the old cartoon, so I am looking at it from that perspective. With Kraing in the man suit, the Technodrome, and all the other TMNT weirdness, I feel like the cyberpunk setting might suit your needs well.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by originalginger View Post
    Perhaps outside of the box, but my instinct says you should take a look at Shadowrun. Most of my experience with TMNT is from the old cartoon, so I am looking at it from that perspective. With Kraing in the man suit, the Technodrome, and all the other TMNT weirdness, I feel like the cyberpunk setting might suit your needs well.
    this setting is meant to be a mix of incarnations, while cyber punk would be good, i want a familiar rule set, and it's either D&D 2E gurps(oh god the math!) or D&D 4th edition

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by johnswiftwood View Post
    this setting is meant to be a mix of incarnations, while cyber punk would be good, i want a familiar rule set, and it's either D&D 2E gurps(oh god the math!) or D&D 4th edition
    That makes sense. In that case, I feel 2e is probably your best bet, simply because the powers and such are a bit less codified. 4e is easy to refluff though, and you can completely change the flavor text and descriptive elements without touching the underlying mechanics. Either way it is a bit of work, but I think it is doable.

What you have so far in this thread looks like you are on the right track. Good Luck!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by originalginger View Post
    That makes sense. In that case, I feel 2e is probably your best bet, simply because the powers and such are a bit less codified. 4e is easy to refluff though, and you can completely change the flavor text and descriptive elements without touching the underlying mechanics. Either way it is a bit of work, but I think it is doable.

What you have so far in this thread looks like you are on the right track. Good Luck!
    really? well i have stats for a few characters

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

BAIN WOLF mutant level 7 Chaotic good

Brawler(vigilante's exceptional strength and HP bonus and xp, ninja's hit dice and unarmed combat)

cha 12
    str 18(00)(+3 to hit + 6 damage)
    con 17
    int 4 (broken english)
    wis 10
    dex 19
    hp 52 thacO:14 AC:6 reaction:+3 weapon proficiecnies:punching (specialized) Clubs,knives

Attacks:claws (1d8+6 damage) bite (1d10 +6 damage)

items:torn middle class clothes ($10,$30 if it were in good condition)

Rocko warthog mutant thug (evil vigilante) level 2 neutral evil

str 19
    con 11
    int 9
    wis 10
    cha 6
    dex 9
    hp 13 Thaco 17(melee) 20(ranged) 23(poor quality AK-47) ac10 weapon proficiency: machine guns,rifles,knives,hand guns

$75.00

Items: pocket knife (1d2 +7 damage $5),9mm pistol ($50 fires 1 shot a round),middle class clothes($30)
    ,AK47 (home made,$70 $100 if profecionally made,jams on a roll of 1 or 2 due to poor quality ,5 shots a round -3 to hit)

Tank rhino mutant thug level 2 neutral evil

con 17
    str 14
    dex 10
    int 12
    wis 8
    cha 12
    hp 16 thaco 20 (18 with butcher knife) ac 10 wp:butcher knife (specialized),sledge hammer,crobar

$35.00

butcher knife ($20 1d6 damage),sledge hammer ($35 2d4 damage),crow bar ($30 1d8 damage),
    heavily used pick up truck ($200, carries up to 500 pounds without problem)

ps. before you ask, yes rocko and tank are based off bebop and rocksteady if they were allot more compitent

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by johnswiftwood View Post
    the only real problem is that i need modern gear along with different classes
    Gamma World's 4th edition was very similar to 2nd edition AD&D. It has stats for modern equipment that can be used pretty much as is for 2nd edition AD&D... There was even an article in issue #183 of Dragon Magazine by Bruce Nesmith that gave information on how to convert 4th edition GW to 2nd edition AD&D (it's so simple to convert, that the article was a mere 3 and a half pages long). The article was entitled "Magic & Technology Meet At Last!".

Also, you might want to look at the 2nd edition Ravenloft "Masque of the Red Death" boxed set for ideas on how more modern classes could be handled in 2nd edition AD&D (I know "Masque" is set in the 1890's, but it could be a gold mine of ideas for you none-the-less)...
    Last edited by Digitalelf; 2013-09-08 at 08:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalelf View Post
    Gamma World's 4th edition was very similar to 2nd edition AD&D. It has stats for modern equipment that can be used pretty much as is for 2nd edition AD&D... There was even an article in issue #183 of Dragon Magazine by Bruce Nesmith that gave information on how to convert 4th edition GW to 2nd edition AD&D (it's so simple to convert, that the article was a mere 3 and a half pages long). The article was entitled "Magic & Technology Meet At Last!".

Also, you might want to look at the 2nd edition Ravenloft "Masque of the Red Death" boxed set for ideas on how more modern classes could be handled in 2nd edition AD&D (I know "Masque" is set in the 1890's, but it could be a gold mine of ideas for you none-the-less)...
    sounds interesting

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

i've decidedto fuse monk and thief for the ninja class

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've never understood why modern firearms would be handled any differently than (for instance) a hand crossbow.

Assign a number of shots per round, and damage, Charge an action to reload and you're good to go.

I think if you're having a hard time with this you're likely overthinking it. (espescially as there may even be mages in TMNTVerse, they're just uncommon)

Also check out the Oriental Adventures classes. You'll need to mod them but some of them are going to be useful.
    Big Ups to Vrythas for making my Avi!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Toofey View Post
    I've never understood why modern firearms would be handled any differently than (for instance) a hand crossbow.

Assign a number of shots per round, and damage, Charge an action to reload and you're good to go.

I think if you're having a hard time with this you're likely overthinking it. (espescially as there may even be mages in TMNTVerse, they're just uncommon)

Also check out the Oriental Adventures classes. You'll need to mod them but some of them are going to be useful.
    actually last night i ran the first session, my players liked it just fine, though i don't have every item planned out just yet, i also upddated the character stats

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Cartoon Action Hour Season 2 is 8 dollars for a pdf. You don't have to make anything or houserule anything to make Nick or 80's cartoon Turtles. There's a "series creation' which will take 5 minutes, and character creation will take maybe 10 or 15 minutes for a PC,like 10 minutes for an enemy (less if you reskin the enemies in the book).

The rules will perfectly emulate the 80's cartoon and (if the DM dials back the cheese) the Nicktoon.