New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default dmg pg239 cure light wounds is an arcane scroll

dmg pg239 cure light wounds is an arcane scroll??? so can my wizard cast that and if so how adout a wand of cure light wounds?? im dreming right?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: dmg pg239 cure light wounds is an arcane scroll

Sorry, the arcane version is bard only.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by korinthVloss View Post
    dmg pg239 cure light wounds is an arcane scroll??? so can my wizard cast that and if so how adout a wand of cure light wounds?? im dreming right?
    I think that's because it's on the Bard spell list. I don't think most Dms would allow this, but then again I don't play many spellcasters so I'm not sure what RAW would say.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sadly, no, your wizard cannot cast that. Bards get Cure Light Wounds, hence why its an Arcane scroll, but you still lack the spell on your spell list. High Cha with UMD can help, though. DC seems kind of pathetic for it.

Pretty sure anyone can use wands.
    Last edited by The Crash Man; 2012-04-29 at 09:42 PM.
    Epic Crashatar by the amazing Crimmy!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements.

* The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.)
    * The user must have the spell on his or her class list.
    * The user must have the requisite ability score.
    Underlined the important part. Just because it's an arcane scroll does not make it a Wizard spell.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The spell has to be of the proper type (arcane/divine) AND the spell has to be on your list (Wiz/Sorc, Brd, Clr, etc) in order to use it without UMD.

Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

ok did not know it was on the bard list thax for the explination im going to go cry my way to the potion sell now. hhhmm what is the dc on a wand of clw for umd? hhmm think its 20 so ...there no way for my levl 3 wizard to get umd of +10 so i cant tack 10 ... but i got 6 umd +1 cha so 7. so what i just keap trying to use it until i get over 20 then its useabul all the time or do i have to roll every time i use it?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The DC to use a wand of CLW is indeed 20, but UMD is one of the skills you explicitly can NOT take 10 on without special circumstances. The only circumstance I can think of is the use of the Magical Savant spell from Complete Mage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    The only circumstance I can think of is the use of the Magical Savant spell from Complete Mage.
    ...you could also have four levels of warlock. (I didn't say it was a useful circumstance, just that it was a circumstance).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    The spell has to be of the proper type (arcane/divine) AND the spell has to be on your list (Wiz/Sorc, Brd, Clr, etc) in order to use it without UMD.

Sorry.
    Technically, Sorcerors aren't limited to Wiz/Sorc spell list for spell known unlike Wizards according to PHB.
    But this was never clarified by WotC so it doesn't technically mean you can add Bard spells (although I always houseruled it did, otherwise why make their spell known choices had that line of text?).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Sorcerers also can't scribe spells from scrolls, so an arcane CLW scroll is as useless to them as it is to anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

im going to go cry my way to the potion sell now.
    You really don't need any way of healing yourself; most of the healing spells in the game are pretty poor anyway, especially during combat. If you feel the need, buy a Wand of Cure Light Wounds or a Wand of Lesser Vigor, give it to the party Cleric or Druid or whatever, and ask them to cast it on you.

As a Wizard, you should be the last one taking HP damage anyway. Might be hard to ensure that at level 3, but not impossible.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

ok did not know it was on the bard list thax for the explination im going to go cry my way to the potion sell now.
    Save yer cash couse you can make healing items yerself. They aren't great, but nothing is stopping you from making them.
    Healing Salve: Tome And Blood ( I know I've seen it in a more updated book someplace). (Found it: Lords of Darkness has it as well)

You can also drop 750g on a healing belt. Or do what I do. Have a Healing Belt made using a Masterwork Potion belt (Faerun Camp Setting or Races of) and load it up with healing Salve/ found potions as you go.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2012-04-30 at 12:26 PM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Save yer cash couse you can make healing items yerself. They aren't great, but nothing is stopping you from making them.
    Healing Salve: Tome And Blood ( I know I've seen it in a more updated book someplace). (Found it: Lords of Darkness has it as well)

You can also drop 750g on a healing belt. Or do what I do. Have a Healing Belt made using a Masterwork Potion belt (Faerun Camp Setting or Races of) and load it up with healing Salve/ found potions as you go.
    Lords of Darkness isn't much of an update, as it's still 3.0.

An alternative option would be to blow a feat on Extra Spell but that seems wasteful for a spell that isn't going to age especially well.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

did i say its a all drow party the cleric in more likely to be the one killing me when my back is turned! (last game i played with this group the elf carmed my orc then telported me in to the air and let me fall to my death well he uses fether fall so im more scard of my party the the monster.)
    thax for the recomendation ill try the healing belt. or if eny one has eny stratagy for defending my self agenst my party that woud be great as well